Habs vs. Capitals

Fanpuck33

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who would have thought the an almost half AHL team could own such a kick ass record!

:clap:

9-1-1 in last 11, is that right? Keep it rollin' :)

We aren't dressing a single player that is not NHL quality. Some are better off in the AHL to get the ice time (particularily Pacioretty) but the skill level and understanding of the game suggests NHL level. Weber probably isn't NHL quality at this stage but he's only played once (and Maxwell clearly wasn't either, but he's not here now). It's really nice to know that even with 4.5 NHL forwards hurt (the .5 being Dandy) we can still ice 12 NHL quality forwards. I don't think we can go much deeper than that in our system and continue to say that, but that means it'll take a HUGE rash of injuries up front to start to look out of place.

Another good win for the Habs tonite. The goal-scoring barrage continues. What depth the Habs have with all the injuries.

The 3 lines seem to be jelling quite well, and just think that instead of Begin, Chips and Diago the Habs will have Koivu, Higgins and Tanguay when they get healthy.

gotta love tsn's postgame coverage... did you realize that Patrice Brisebois is Matthieu Dandeneault?

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip128473#clip128473

What? Do you mean Brisebois got HUGE hockey gloves ?

610x.jpg

Exciting game. Pleksy comes through! It was going to happen sooner or later. Great play by Pacioretty on his second goal. We were lucky to finish it regulation on that ass-ugly goal, but overall we deserved the win and slightly outplayed the Caps overall. Halak was solid, not great but good enough.

We aren't dressing a single player that is not NHL quality. Some are better off in the AHL to get the ice time (particularily Pacioretty) but the skill level and understanding of the game suggests NHL level. Weber probably isn't NHL quality at this stage but he's only played once (and Maxwell clearly wasn't either, but he's not here now). It's really nice to know that even with 4.5 NHL forwards hurt (the .5 being Dandy) we can still ice 12 NHL quality forwards. I don't think we can go much deeper than that in our system and continue to say that, but that means it'll take a HUGE rash of injuries up front to start to look out of place.

Agreed.

To me it says 3 things:

1- The talent is there. You can't make the jump to the NHL, keep up with talented linemates and produce without having talent

2- The franchise philosophy and coaching system is coherent throughout the organization. For players to come up from the AHL and git right in the team and be so reliable speaks volume about all the coaching staff all being on the same page. Just like in the good old days.

3- Gainey now has better leverage to trade for that eluding 4th defenseman. I mean, would it really hurt the team now and in the future if, say, Higgins was to be sacrificed for a D; when you know Dago and Patch can do basically the same speed-shoot-crash the net game than Higgins?

It's because we have the right guy wearing the "C" now...

*waits for Colin*

Hate to say it, and I am not saying it, I am just saying.......

No wait. Saku is the heart and sole of the team!

Wait, but we lose alot with that heart and sole.

Maybe a bad ticker?

Not saying, or am I?

I am saying I love saving his salary vs the cap right now!

Always did think he was 2 mill a year more hit than he should be.

3- Gainey now has better leverage to trade for that eluding 4th defenseman. I mean, would it really hurt the team now and in the future if, say, Higgins was to be sacrificed for a D; when you know Dago and Patch can do basically the same speed-shoot-crash the net game than Higgins?

My thought exactly, even for a rental.

The only bad thing would be if it leads Komi out of town.

I would like Higgins to say. On a team that scores by committee, he puts up good numbers and is one of our best 2-way players. Plus, he has great chemistry with the rest of the team in the locker room apparently, not to mention a future prospect to wear the C after Koivu retires.

I would like Higgins to say. not to mention a future prospect to wear the C after Koivu retires.

I think it's safe to say Komi has that locked up.

Another great game by everyone on the Habs. I must say our boys are impressive over these last 11 games.

Especially tonight, where we seemed to play hard all night long. Our boys didn't quit, and didn'T back down at any time, which is what i like to see! This is the kind of game we all love to watch. true that some d-men made some mistakes, but that's what happens when you have talented forwards putting pressure on the defensive corps.

I just hope we can keep it up for a while and catch up to the damn Pooh Bears! Carbonneau is gonna have some tough decisions to make when Koivu, Higgins and Tanguay come back!

Edited by Habsfan

I'd be thrilled if Higgins was shipped out, or at the very least let go at the end of the season. He's always been overrated IMO.

He wasn't always overrated, however the organization and the fans are currently expecting too much from him. He was always supposed to be a Jere-Lehtinen type player, a strong two-way player with enough skills to follow better players, but not enough to be a consistent point producer on a top offensive line. Offensively he's already matched a guy like Jere Lehtinen, who's always scored about 45-55 points per season (even though he played with Modano for most of his career), however I don't think he's been able to work on his overall game because he's forced to live up to unrealistic expectations; the guy has NEVER been a natural goal scorer or a pure offensive winger, and he never will be.

People are getting very excited with Maxim Lapierre right now, but Higgins remains a better player. If we allowed Higgins to concentrate on giving us a strong defensive game with some steady offensive in the 45-55 point range, he would perhaps become of the best two-way players in the game. Unfortunately somehow he's become some 35+ goal power-forward in the eyes of some fans and the Habs management.

However I do agree that Higgins may have become expendable, and if we can strike a good deal involving him, we should seriously consider it. I mentioned on another thread that I would like for the Habs to trade for a guy like Dan Hamhuis, something like: Higgins + D'Agostini + O'Byrne for Hamhuis + Blake Geoffrion (although he grew up in Nashville).

I don't know if Nashville would be interested, but I think this would be a fair trade for both teams. I also think that Hamhuis is better that his current stats would indicate, and that he could benefit from leaving Nahsville where's he stuck behind Weber and Suter. This trade would also allow Gainey to improve the team without hurting the core (the team is playing well, and Higgins barely played this season).

Higgins or not, they will have 1 too many quality LW to start the season if they sign Tanguay. I don't think he is overated, he is a great 3rd line LW, he had 1 big year in goals but i wouldn't consider him a sniper or a top 6 winger.

Ak46

Lats

Higgins

Begin

Tanguay

Pacioretty

Some may not be resigned, someone mey be traded.

Higgins or not, they will have 1 too many quality LW to start the season if they sign Tanguay. I don't think he is overated, he is a great 3rd line LW, he had 1 big year in goals but i wouldn't consider him a sniper or a top 6 winger.

Ak46

Lats

Higgins

Begin

Tanguay

Pacioretty

Some may not be resigned, someone mey be traded.

Out of that list, i'm pretty sure we can say that AK46 and Lats are safe. Pacioretty might either be in Montreal or Hamilton next year...we don't know yet. I think it's safe to say that Bégin will not be re-signed next year. It's unfortunate, but that's the way things go in the "new" NHL. That leaves Higgins and Tanguay who might not be back next year!

Out of that list, i'm pretty sure we can say that AK46 and Lats are safe. Pacioretty might either be in Montreal or Hamilton next year...we don't know yet. I think it's safe to say that Bégin will not be re-signed next year. It's unfortunate, but that's the way things go in the "new" NHL. That leaves Higgins and Tanguay who might not be back next year!

lol I noticed you finish every single one of your posts off with an exclamation mark, even when nothing exciting's happening.