your 5 untouchables--Besides Price

MAK

Price

Markov

Komisarek

Andrei Kostitsyn

Pacioretty

McDonagh damn close.

This is a good list. Since he said aside from Price, just put McDonagh in his place and there you go.

As Colin said, everyone has a price but really what the thread is asking is "Who are the 5 most valuable assets in the system?" and these seem to be them.

Andrei Kostitsyn is steadily becoming another Thomas Vanek, while Pacioretty and McDonagh seem to be future top line players as well.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a good list. Since he said aside from Price, just put McDonagh in his place and there you go.

As Colin said, everyone has a price but really what the thread is asking is "Who are the 5 most valuable assets in the system?" and these seem to be them.

Andrei Kostitsyn is steadily becoming another Thomas Vanek, while Pacioretty and McDonagh seem to be future top line players as well.

Kostitsyn is slowly becoming another Thomas Vanek? How is that? Vanek has proven himself as a 40 + goal scorer who is showing a great 2 way game, while Kostisyn is struggling to score 25. Kostitsyn is no where near Vaneks level, never will be and I highly doubt Kevin Lowe will ever offer Kostitsyn a 7 year $49 Million dollar contract so we could say bye and collect our 4 first rounds picks. It'll take Kostitsyn another 3 years to reach Vaneks career goal totals this year alone.

There are no untradeables Wayne Gretzky proved that.

5 most tradeable.

Everyone GM in the League wants good young cheap players whos contract they can control, so most likely the players will be rookies, or prospects in the farm system. As well, quality defensman are hard to find, so that narrows it down further. Ryan McDonagh, and PK SUbban would probably top the list. Yannick Weber probably would be right up there. And Andrei Markov as he is vastly underrated and has a decent contract. Then I would say its a tie between Max Pacioretty and Mike Komisarek. Pacioretty is a quality prospect with size and speed, while Komisarek is a big bruising defensman ala Adam Foote but whose contract is up, and will require a significant raise. As well he shows very little in the way off offense.

Kostitsyn is slowly becoming another Thomas Vanek? How is that? Vanek has proven himself as a 40 + goal scorer who is showing a great 2 way game, while Kostisyn is struggling to score 25. Kostitsyn is no where near Vaneks level, never will be and I highly doubt Kevin Lowe will ever offer Kostitsyn a 7 year $49 Million dollar contract so we could say bye and collect our 4 first rounds picks. It'll take Kostitsyn another 3 years to reach Vaneks career goal totals this year alone.

He clearly has the potential in him to become a 40 goal NHLer. He won't necessarily do it, but he's one of the more talented players in the league and much more rounded than most other 1st line talents. Besides, I was referring to his style of play, which already resembles Vanek's.

Kostitsyn will wind up being better than Vanek, I think. In a few years this guy is going to be a monster. He's got a better shot than Vanek, and a nasty streak that Vanek does not have.

And as for younger brother Sergei - here's another guy that needs powerskating lessons. I'm surprised by how slow he is....

Kostitsyn will wind up being better than Vanek, I think. In a few years this guy is going to be a monster. He's got a better shot than Vanek, and a nasty streak that Vanek does not have.

And as for younger brother Sergei - here's another guy that needs powerskating lessons. I'm surprised by how slow he is....

they were both drafted the same year and vanek is already a star while AK46 has a hard time living to expectations.

I do like Andrei's mean streak...he'll be a better playoff player for that.

Kinda hard to do but the top 5 should be the same for everyone. A tougher question would be aside from the top 5 who are the next?

Komisarek

Markov

A Kostitsyn

Pacioretty

McDonagh

I would add Subban to this list if he continues to develop like he has.

I'm surprised to see Pacioretty on so many lists - obviously he's carrying high expectations for such a young player. Although he's playing well now, I have to assume this is mostly based on his potential. To me, he isn't really untouchable if he's the required piece to bring someone back that could put us over the top this year (a la the oft-referenced Niewendyk-Iginla trade). The return would have to be high, but I wouldn't say he's untouchable, because the future is now for this team.

I'm surprised to see Pacioretty on so many lists - obviously he's carrying high expectations for such a young player. Although he's playing well now, I have to assume this is mostly based on his potential. To me, he isn't really untouchable if he's the required piece to bring someone back that could put us over the top this year (a la the oft-referenced Niewendyk-Iginla trade). The return would have to be high, but I wouldn't say he's untouchable, because the future is now for this team.

pacioretty, to me, is untouchable only insofar as he is an asset for which the team would require a very high return on in a possible trade. Nobody, obviously, is "untouchable."

yeah same here. The only reason why I put him on the list at #5 (before Price was a gimme) instead of McDonagh, is because we are stacked at the D.

If the question was "Who is untouchable?" I'd say : Price and Komisarek, IMO.

1. Timmins

2. Gainey (Bob not Steve)

3. Markov

4. A Kostistsyn

5. Pacioretty

McDonagh was unimpressive in World Jrs, in my eyes, Subban is higher rated.

Komisarik would have to bring quite the player in return, say top pick come spring!

I have full faith that my #1 and 2 picks can fill in any holes created by trades of anyone else on the team!!!!

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

1. Timmins

2. Gainey (Bob not Steve)

3. Markov

4. A Kostistsyn

5. Pacioretty

McDonagh was unimpressive in World Jrs, in my eyes, Subban is higher rated.

Komisarik would have to bring quite the player in return, say top pick come spring!

I have full faith that my #1 and 2 picks can fill in any holes created by trades of anyone else on the team!!!!

Thats very interesting. Trevor Timmins.

Obviously a great eye for talent. Its unfortunate that its only a matter of time before he wants a GM's position. Teams will end up contacting the Montreal Canadiens about him, and I would highly doubt the Habs would step in the way. So hopefully Gainey is grooming him to take over as GM of the Habs.

Thats very interesting. Trevor Timmins.

Obviously a great eye for talent. Its unfortunate that its only a matter of time before he wants a GM's position. Teams will end up contacting the Montreal Canadiens about him, and I would highly doubt the Habs would step in the way. So hopefully Gainey is grooming him to take over as GM of the Habs.

Not necessarily true. Conte in Jersey has been a mainstay with Lamoriello. Plus, I suspect, with the way the NHL works today, guys in his position who are the best at what they do would get a premium. I'm sure the Habs pay him a VERY handsome sum.

I think the reason Pacioretty is on almost everyones list is because his potential limits are unknown. he has the size, skills, and work ethic to be an absolute force in the NHL and judging by his development surging forward could even be an elite power forward..... but then again, he might never achieve it.

Until those questions are answered he should be on the list... Afterall, he is rated as the team's top prospect on most lists.

I think the reason Pacioretty is on almost everyones list is because his potential limits are unknown. he has the size, skills, and work ethic to be an absolute force in the NHL and judging by his development surging forward could even be an elite power forward..... but then again, he might never achieve it.

Until those questions are answered he should be on the list... Afterall, he is rated as the team's top prospect on most lists.

Yep. If he reach full potential and expectations, he might be one of the most important player the team will have for a decade.

Can we conclude that Ribeiro's trade and Rivet's trade balance things out ??? ^_^

Late 20's or early 30's I think. He's pretty young.

I'm pretty sure he's in his 40s but I can't find any place that gives his age.

YEah and we don't know if the guy actually wants a GM job. How old is he ??

he turned 40 in 08.

he stated that he wanted to become a Gm one day.

Can we conclude that Ribeiro's trade and Rivet's trade balance things out ??? ^_^

All things considered, I think we are lightyears ahead of where we would be if those trades were not made. :hlogo:

Back to the whole Timmins thing... there is no guarantee that Gainey will be GM beyond his current contract. I kind of get the impression that this Canadiens' gig is his swan song, and he plans to go out in style. In 3 to 5 years, there will likely be a very attractive GM opening for Timmins and Julien Brisebois to have a shot at. They're both young, and can definitely afford to wait for that as their first potential GM gig.

Back to the whole Timmins thing... there is no guarantee that Gainey will be GM beyond his current contract. I kind of get the impression that this Canadiens' gig is his swan song, and he plans to go out in style. In 3 to 5 years, there will likely be a very attractive GM opening for Timmins and Julien Brisebois to have a shot at. They're both young, and can definitely afford to wait for that as their first potential GM gig.

Same here. I don't think Gainey's coming back after the season.

Same here. I don't think Gainey's coming back after the season.

He did recently sign a contract extension (I think before 2007-08) so I think he'll stick for a couple more years, and at least through next year (the end of the Centennial). He wants to win, though, so if this team does win, all bets are off.