Habs @ Senators | Game Thread

Fanpuck33

Screening the goalie.

:lol:

Ummm, no.

The traditional way to screen a goalie is like how I keep suggesting: be in front of the goal line and you at least need to be in front of the goalie. Being beside the goalie you cant screen him, or do the back door pass, or do anything thats usefull when you are the only guy down low on that side. Once again wtf was he standing there? Had he been a few more inches away from centre ice he would have actually been inside of the Sens net. :huh:

Most of the Habs games that are really close or games that they loose is because they keep making this same mistake. The Habs have way to many blown opportunities caused by being way to close to the goal line. :angry:

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

True that our boys lost two 2-goal leads, but they came out of this with the Win and the 2 points. Boston Lost so now we are 10 points out of first place in the conference. That's all that matters. Let's not forget that we are missing our number 1 goalie and 3 top 6 forwards!

I thought Stewart had a great game. I hate to say it, but Chipchura might end up as part of a deal to get a mobile D man before the deadline. I like Chips, but he is definitely a work in progress. Maxpac looked great last night too. He dug for pucks and second efforts were many. Nice to see. It's great to see three players (Dags, Stewart, and Maxpac) called up and imediately fitting in to their roles. I really like the chemistry in all of these lines.

Also, all four lines had goal scores. I know Kovy scored on the PP, but it's nice to see.

Edited by BCHabnut

Maybe, or not. All I know is he left he ice with his underwear around his ankles after the shoot-out. There is undressed and then their is deeked out of your shorts. He ahd both happen to him.

But is that a knock on his abilities or a kudo to Kovy and Lapierre? I prefer to see the latter, quite honestly. They both made some extremely slick moves, and I have to think many-a-goalie would have been searching for lost articles of clothing with those shootout attempts. Look simple fact is that when Plekanec and Lang went in on their respective breaks during the game, they tried a high shot. Both looked fairly accurate. Elliott stayed on his feet and flashed leather. Those are some extremely solid stops.

I agree with Millen when he said that the Sens' lousy play wasn't Hartsburg's fault. A coach can only do so much. The problems lie with the players. When was the last time any of you saw such a pathetic attempt by a team to control their own D zone? It's true that we can and have "run around" in our own end but the Sens have a basic cohesion problem. The players have to overcome this. Dumping Hartsburg won't solve anything IMHO.

I agree with Millen when he said that the Sens' lousy play wasn't Hartsburg's fault. A coach can only do so much. The problems lie with the players. When was the last time any of you saw such a pathetic attempt by a team to control their own D zone? It's true that we can and have "run around" in our own end but the Sens have a basic cohesion problem. The players have to overcome this. Dumping Hartsburg won't solve anything IMHO.

Actually that sounds exactly like a coaching problem, a lack of cohesion in the defensive zone is a basic structure problem. The coach needs to get his players to stop acting like a bunch of headless chickens, and work with them on better positioning, support, and anticipation.

Actually that sounds exactly like a coaching problem, a lack of cohesion in the defensive zone is a basic structure problem. The coach needs to get his players to stop acting like a bunch of headless chickens, and work with them on better positioning, support, and anticipation.

Dumping on coaches again, eh? :P

I might agree, but this is the Sens 3rd coach in a year and a half. They started off great under Paddock, but then nose-dived, and neither he, nor Murray, nor Hartsburg seems to have found the problem. Are all these guys incompetent?

The Sens have lost a number of quality d-men over the last couple of years; without a certain level of talent, the best coaching in the world can go for naught.

I don't know what the big shock about Ottawa's suckage is. They have average defencemen and questionable depth at forward, not to mention dodgy goaltending. You could see the rot setting in some time ago (even before the big Cup run, their depth was debatable as far as I was concerned). Their trio of big stars has papered over the fact that this organization has not been able to do what Detroit did, namely draft elite talent once they stopped getting incredibly high draft picks. And this franchise has never, ever had the lunch-bucket, blood-and-guts identity that can help a team to overcome a dearth of talent. Basically, they're the tattered remnants of a team that used to be flashy but never won anything anyway. Ain't the coaches' fault.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I hate to say it, but Chipchura might end up as part of a deal to get a mobile D man before the deadline. I like Chips, but he is definitely a work in progress.

Agreed, with the emergence of Lapierre, Chipchura is becoming more and more obsolete. I think his best hope to make the NHL is to be traded.

Dumping on coaches again, eh? :P

I might agree, but this is the Sens 3rd coach in a year and a half. They started off great under Paddock, but then nose-dived, and neither he, nor Murray, nor Hartsburg seems to have found the problem. Are all these guys incompetent?

The Sens have lost a number of quality d-men over the last couple of years; without a certain level of talent, the best coaching in the world can go for naught.

I never said the Sens would be a contender with a different coach either, there's a serious lack of depth on that team. Pretty much all they have now is a trio of supertsars, and a bunch of glorified and overrated depth players like Vermette, Ficher, and Kelly who don't do much when not paired with one of the top 3 forwards. The only reason they can put together 2 decent lines on paper is because their superstars are making the others look a lot better than they really are. All opposing teams have to do is to concentrare on Spezza, Alfie, and Heatkey, and they can pocket an easy win.

I was only making a reference to a comment about a lack of cohesion, and it is true that the Senators' play is a mess. Regardless of the talent level, the stucture and the quality of execution shouldn't be that mediocre. The Sens are by no means a contender, but strong coaching could probably make them more competitive, and fight for a playoff spot. For example the Canadiens were a pretty mediocre team on paper during the first years of Julien behind the bench, but we played fairly well, and we were still relatively competitive every season; we didn't always make the pllayoffs, but we were in the race until the very last week.

Agreed, with the emergence of Lapierre, Chipchura is becoming more and more obsolete. I think his best hope to make the NHL is to be traded.

I mentioned this summer that I hope for his personal sake that he gets traded this year. I still think he can become a solid 3rd line shutdown centre in the NHL with some offensive upside, but it's pretty obvious that Carbonneau doesn't like him all that much. There's nothing wrong with that, the coach doesn't have to believe in every player in the organization however if we're not going to give him a genuine opportunity, then I hope we'll have the decency to let him get that opportunity elsewhere.