Rick DiPietro out for the rest of the season

rafikz

Rick DiPietro did play over 60 games in each of his last three seasons, so it's not like he's constantly injured. From what I heard the Islanders are being extra cautious, they want him to rest his knee for the rest of the season so that he can be fully healed next year, which is smart since their season is over anyway.

Unless he suffered permanent damage, he's still a very good investment at 4.5 millions per season. You can't find many quality experienced goaltenders for that price tag (I'm not talking about a kid like Price or a guy who came out of nowhere like Thomas), just look at Giguere (6M), Vokoun (5.7M), Miller (6.25M), Turco (5.7M), Lundqvist (6.875M), Nabokov (5.375M), etc. Even questionable number 1B goaltenders like Biron, Gerber, Roloson, Fernandez ... are making about 3.5M.

That's not to mention the fact that salaries will most likely going to get higher with inflation over time (maybe not in the next year or two because of the current economic problems), so his salary will only look better... but again that's IF Dipietro remains healthy...

Rick DiPietro did play over 60 games in each of his last three seasons, so it's not like he's constantly injured. From what I heard the Islanders are being extra cautious, they want him to rest his knee for the rest of the season so that he can be fully healed next year, which is smart since their season is over anyway.

Unless he suffered permanent damage, he's still a very good investment at 4.5 millions per season. You can't find many quality experienced goaltenders for that price tag (I'm not talking about a kid like Price or a guy who came out of nowhere like Thomas), just look at Giguere (6M), Vokoun (5.7M), Miller (6.25M), Turco (5.7M), Lundqvist (6.875M), Nabokov (5.375M), etc. Even questionable number 1B goaltenders like Biron, Gerber, Roloson, Fernandez ... are making about 3.5M.

That's not to mention the fact that salaries will most likely going to get higher with inflation over time (maybe not in the next year or two because of the current economic problems), so his salary will only look better... but again that's IF Dipietro remains healthy...

All true. However, his contract is through 20-21. Suppose he has a healthy 15 year career. That only takes you out to 2015-16. Most goalies are lucky to play 15 years (Brodeur is in his 15th, not including the lockout), so this is being generous. At that point they still have 6 years left on his deal @ 4.5 mil a year. there's nothing they can do to get out from under that except trade him.

Suppose they buy him out in the summer of 2016. 5 years left at $4.5. He gets 2/3rds of his remaining salary: 4.5*5=22.5; 22.5*2/3=$15. Then they pay that out over twice the remainder of the contract (10 years). The Islanders would be paying $1,500,000 per season, against the cap, until 2025-26 for a goaltender they signed to a contract in 2006.

In my opinion, it would be much more worthwhile to sign him to a 5 year deal at 4.5, then run the risk that you might have to pay him the additional $1.5 for 5 years or so afterwards. (if he goes up to a Turco number, which he would be lucky to get anyway, then you only are paying an additional $1.2 million, instead of 10 years at an extra $1.5.) You end up saving a ton of money and you don't handcuff the organization like they have.

Great post.

As you pointed out, their season is already over anyway.

I sincerely hope his career won't be ruined by injuries.