ESPN mideseason grades

rafikz

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/stor...&id=3849521

I don't agree with the grades given to Philly and NJ.

Considering all the injuries they've had this season, they deserve A+

Montreal Canadiens: A

The Habs are another team that has persevered through serious injury, and they continue to pile up the points. They won't catch Boston for the Northeast Division, but are in good position to hold down the No. 4 seed (hence the chance to open the playoffs at home) thanks to the play of youngsters like Matt D'Agostini, brothers Andrei and Sergei Kostitsyn and Guillaume Latendresse.

They said they wouldn't catch Ottawa last year. Their is lots of games left to catch the Bruins.

They're assuming that Boston, San Jose and Detroit keep up their pace and hit 130 points each. Unlikely.

Montreals not much of a threat after those two games they puked up to Atlanta and New Jersey. If you can't beat Atlanta and New JErsey (without Broduer) you can't catch Boston

You're right.

Sell the team to a city in the sun belt and move on. :rolleyes:

The Habs management must be giddy the way the team has played with the ENTIRE first line out as well as thier franchise goalie (yes there were others too but not with the same impact).

If losing 5 out of the 16 games is horrible and a reason to start "the sky is falling" crap then I suggest your expectations of an 82-0-0 season are a bit too lofty.

Montreals not much of a threat after those two games they puked up to Atlanta and New Jersey. If you can't beat Atlanta and New JErsey (without Broduer) you can't catch Boston

Uhh... We are just over halfway through the season, there's still a lot of hockey to be played. What does Atlanta and New Jersey have anything to do with Boston.

You're right.

The Habs management must be giddy the way the team has played with the ENTIRE first line out as well as thier franchise goalie (yes there were others too but not with the same impact).

If losing 5 out of the 16 games is horrible and a reason to start "the sky is falling" crap then I suggest your expectations of an 82-0-0 season are a bit too lofty.

Good post, however I do understand Kaos' frustration...especially regarding the Atlanta game.

There is absolutely NO excuse losing a game like that to a team that is ranked 29th in the league!! their loss to N-J was expected. The Habs don't have the talent/aggressiveness/desire to beat the devils in N-J...but Atlanta??? That was a very frustrating performance by the boys, who missed a golden opportunity to catch up to the bruins.

Edited by Habsfan

Good post, however I do understand Kaos' frustration...especially regarding the Atlanta game.

There is absolutely NO excuse losing a game like that to a team that is ranked 29th in the league!! their loss to N-J was expected. The Habs don't have the talent/aggressiveness/desire to beat the devils in N-J...but Atlanta??? That was a very frustrating performance by the boys, who missed a golden opportunity to catch up to the bruins.

This is a concern for me. I believe we can not be considered a contender unless the team can play a solid system and match up against any team. NJ has always dominated us.

Don't be frustrated, Atlanta is 29th in the league, so what?.... even a broken clock is right twice per day.

Do you think that Buffalo or Carolina fans or management freaked when they lost to the Thrashers twice this year?

Or New Jersey when they lost to the Thrashers 4-0?

Or Washington when they lost 7 -4?

Or Ottawa when....oh right...... ok bad example but you get the point :D

The point is that even the "good" teams can be beaten by the lowliest teams, and sometimes there's just nothing you can do about it except to follow what the players do when it happens...... move on and don't worry about it.

This is a concern for me. I believe we can not be considered a contender unless the team can play a solid system and match up against any team. NJ has always dominated us.

Last year the Habs were 3-1 vs. New Jersey. I actually think they boys figured out Brodeur last year, but Jersey has regained their mojo when they had to learn how to win without Marty.

It's been this way forever...

Ask the Vancouver Canucks of the early-mid 80's. I remember when they would get beaten by Edmonton by scores of 14-2 or 12-3 ... ;)

Ask the Vancouver Canucks of the early-mid 80's. I remember when they would get beaten by Edmonton by scores of 14-2 or 12-3 ... ;)

But even the Oilers could get their asses handed to them 8-2 or 6-1 by teams as bad as the Whalers

Maybe if we go 0-4 vs. Jersey that's a good omen for the playoffs... remember our record last year vs. Boston & Philly? We were 12-0. In the playoffs, we were 4-7 against them.

Don't read to much into these regular seaosn matchups for how we'll do against the teams in April and May.

Uhh... We are just over halfway through the season, there's still a lot of hockey to be played. What does Atlanta and New Jersey have anything to do with Boston.

It helps if you actually read the link and then respond. Might make things a tad more clear

You're right.

Wow this is sooo intelligent I dont know where to begin.

The blurb on The Habs talking about being a threat and catching Boston. I made the statement that they are no threat with the way they played Against Jersey and Atlanta.....maybe you need some anger management classes to deal with some issues

Wow this is sooo intelligent I dont know where to begin.

The blurb on The Habs talking about being a threat and catching Boston. I made the statement that they are no threat with the way they played Against Jersey and Atlanta.....maybe you need some anger management classes to deal with some issues

Anger management issues?

Huh?

Did I miss something or did you ? :blink:

Anyway, since you missed it, I pointed out that looking at 2 bad games at some random part of the season is not a measuring stick and EVERY NHL team does the same things at different points.

By your logic the Bruins are no match for the Habs because they lost to STL and the Leafs this season.

It helps if you actually read the link and then respond. Might make things a tad more clear

Um... I think you are confusing yourself. The fact is that Boston is not Atlanta or Jersey. There are waaay to many variables involved in games for you to say "well if they can't beat team X it's impossible for them to beat team Y". Teams can play any given way on any night. Maybe the Habs will play bad, but maybe the Bruins will play worse. Maybe the Habs will play bad but will have a couple games stolen by Price. Maybe the Bruins will play amazingly but maybe their goaltending will collapse.

So no matter how much the 'experts' think they know, there is no formula to predict how good or bad a team will do.

And if that doesn't convince you: ottawa_senators_logo2.jpg

And just in case you need some more convincing:

Pens%20Logo.jpg

Edited by ForumGhost

Um... I think you are confusing yourself. The fact is that Boston is not Atlanta or Jersey. There are waaay to many variables involved in games for you to say "well if they can't beat team X it's impossible for them to beat team Y". Teams can play any given way on any night. Maybe the Habs will play bad, but maybe the Bruins will play worse. Maybe the Habs will play bad but will have a couple games stolen by Price. Maybe the Bruins will play amazingly but maybe their goaltending will collapse.

So no matter how much the 'experts' think they know, there is no formula to predict how good or bad a team will do.

And if that doesn't convince you: ottawa_senators_logo2.jpg

And just in case you need some more convincing:

Pens%20Logo.jpg

That fact is that right now Montreal cannot beat Boston or New Jersey. Montreal could very well end up playing New Jersey in the first round and will need to beat Boston to win the conference. They showed absolutley no heart or skill in either game they lost Atlanta and New Jersey. Thats what this is all about.

Yes it does. they are 4-24 in New Jersey, it doesn't get more dominating then that.

Until the habs grow some balls, play tougher they will continue to have losing records against teams like the Devils.

Yes it does. they are 4-24 in New Jersey, it doesn't get more dominating then that.

Until the habs grow some balls, play tougher they will continue to have losing records against teams like the Devils.

Agreed. If there's one team the Habs aren't good enough to beat, it's the Devils!

Or Boston, Or Detroit, Or San Jose..... not yet anyways

I still beleive that the Habs would have a better chance to beat Boston, Detroit or S-J compared to N-J.

Just look at our records vs those three teams over the past decade...then compare it to our record vs. N-J and you'll see what I'm talking about!