Vinny

Date of birth: April 21, 1980

Place of birth: Ile Bizard, Que., Canada

Ht: 6-4 Wt: 223

Shoots: L

Salary: $7,166,700

NHL Seasons: 9

Drafted by Tampa Bay in 1998 (1/1).

That's a franchise player, a guy that won the Cup, that has been captain, that is a big C who can fight AND a local boy. All things the Habs needs wrapped into one... big salary.

More...

Barret Jackman

Date of birth: March 05, 1981

Place of birth: Trail, B.C., Canada

Ht: 6-0 Wt: 213

Salary: $2,500,000

NHL Seasons: 6

Drafted by St. Louis in 1999 (1/17)

STL is last in the West and will probably go into selling mode near the deadline (Kariya, Tkachuk, McDonald could go) and Jackman might be gettable. Not good offensively, but a beast defensively and a competitive guy.

Kevin Bieksa

Date of birth: June 16, 1981

Place of birth: Grimsby, Ont., Canada

Ht: 6-1 Wt: 205

Shoots: R

Salary: $4,250,000

NHL Seasons: 3

Drafted by Vancouver in 2001 (5/151).

Would be a perfect fit. Badass D, right shooting and can put up points. But wouldnt come cheap, Nucks are not out of the playoffs and dont appear to be on a rebuilding plan.

Kim Johnsson

Date of birth: March 16, 1976

Place of birth: Malmo, Sweden

Ht: 6-1 Wt: 200

Salary: $5,250,000

NHL Seasons: 8

Drafted by NY Rangers in 1994 (11/286).

Acquired as a free agent in 2006.

Minnesota is fighting for a playoff spot and has the 6th worst offense in the league. Johnsson can run a PP and has done well in the East back when he was a Flyers. Salary is a huge downside.

Cam Barker

Date of birth: April 04, 1986

Place of birth: Winnipeg, Man., Canada

Ht: 6-3 Wt: 222

Salary: $984,200

Drafted by Chicago in 2004 (1/3).

Brent Seabrook

Date of birth: April 20, 1985

Place of birth: Richmond, B.C., Canada

Ht: 6-3 Wt: 220

Shoots: R

Salary: $3,500,000

Drafted by Chicago in 2003 (1/14).

The Hawks are litteraly swimming in puck-moving, offensive Dmen... and their PP shooter (Byfuglien) is a winger. Chicago has had troubles finding a 2nd line C to play behind Toews, so maybe the Habs could step in here.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your salary figures aren't always the cap figures there Koz; here's the relevant cap hit info for the players where they differ:

Lecavalier: $7,727,273 (starting next year)

Jackman: $3,625,000

Bieksa: $3,750,000 (this one's lower)

Johnsson: $4,850,000

Barker: RFA after this year, $2,768,587 cap hit this season

(Seabrook's the same)

Anyone form that list. I'm pretty sure all are on the market.

Alex Burrows

Matt Cullen

Bouwmeester... DUH !!

Jack Johnson

Sean O'Donnell

Jordin Tootoo

scott hartnell

Doug weight

Christ Neil

Jordan Staal

Vincent Lecavalier...bien sur !!

Tkachuk, Keith

Barrett Jackman

Tomas Kaberle

Ohlund, Mattias

I may just be getting sucked in by his Coach's Corner coverage, but Brendan Witt looks like a mini-Komisarek/super-Bouillon/O'Byrne-role model that would certainly bring some grit and stability to the back end.

I think he carries a fairly hefty price tag though.

Wayne Gretzky, Phil Esposito, Bob Clarke, Ray Bourque... oh... active players? :P

To bad he is injured but Id love to take Kaberle of the leafs. Would he be back to play some games for us before the playoffs and find a spot on the team?

Since he is injured he should come at maybe a bit lower price. Lecavalier would be great but I think it will never happen.

One of the greatest playoff performers of our time. Claude Lemieux. Kidding. Not sure he can be effective at his age.

Chris Neil would be a nice addition. Especially with Laraques wonky back. This team has a serious lack of grit and accountability.....something Neil has experience with in Ray Emery. I would love to add Jordan Staal, but not sure what Pittsburgh is doing there. Is he trade bait for that #1 winger they sorely lack? If so Montreal doesn't have what it takes to pry him away. Kaberle is probably an affordable commodity but what does he add that we don't already have in Markov. But Kaberle is very soft,a nd doesn't seem to like to shoot the puck.

Lecavalier is most likely not available, and his salary is prohibitive. Bouwmeester is probably going to be available, he won't resign wiht Florida. But what Montreal would have to give up, and what he would want in a contract extension ($6 Million a year probably) makes him prohibitive. And there is always the fact that he is a Western Boy and may like to play back in Alberta or BC.

Some depth on defense would be nice.

Anyone form that list. I'm pretty sure all are on the market.

Alex Burrows

Matt Cullen

Bouwmeester... DUH !!

Jack Johnson

Sean O'Donnell

Jordin Tootoo

scott hartnell

Doug weight

Christ Neil

Jordan Staal

Vincent Lecavalier...bien sur !!

Tkachuk, Keith

Barrett Jackman

Tomas Kaberle

Ohlund, Mattias

Hartnell, on the market?

He'd be the absolute best fit; but I highly doubt Philly wants to let him go. Why would they?

Rest of the list is plausible. Though Weight is another Koivu, so no need for him. Tkachuk is sucks in the playoffs, but maybe he'd be ok with much less emphasis on him. J. Johnson is the Kings' franchise d-man, dont see him being ever available, especially with the very thin depth there.

If they are going to get a forward, all I want is an "outsider" who comes from a totally different system. That's what makes Lang and Tanguay such great fits, they have absolutely no connection with the loser's style of play our team sometimes resorts to. It's no coincidence our most consistent player has recent experience in Detroit.

I think we're probably better off going for a d-man and my pick is Kaberle.

Hartnell, on the market?

He'd be the absolute best fit; but I highly doubt Philly wants to let him go. Why would they?

Rest of the list is plausible. Though Weight is another Koivu, so no need for him. Tkachuk is sucks in the playoffs, but maybe he'd be ok with much less emphasis on him. J. Johnson is the Kings' franchise d-man, dont see him being ever available, especially with the very thin depth there.

take it for what its worth but I hear Pierre Maguire always saying that Jonhson is on the market...will it be cheap ?? dont think so but we have the goods to get him.

We don't need a young defenceman (J. Johnson). We have lots in the system.

We don't need Kevin Bieksa because he is so gaffe-prone in his own end. You're better off nurturing O'Byrne.

We don't need wingers.

We DO need a scoring C with size. Vinny, obviously, or someone like Jason Arnott a few years ago.

We DO need a top-4 defenceman who is solid in his own end and effective in leading the offence. If Sami Salo weren't so fragile, I'd suggest him. Pronger, Kaberle and Bouwmeester would all be terrific fits (now the salary, that's another matter). Seabrook is an interesting thought, but if they need a C, we won't have any to give them. I would definitely be sniffing around, though. Kim Johnsson could probably be acquired, but that salary - ouch.

So we need the same things we've needed for years. The difference is that now we're working from a position of strength, which is cause for at least mild optimism about our ability to actually acquire these assets.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

We don't need a young defenceman (J. Johnson). We have lots in the system.

those in the system aren't ready yet. Jonhson on the other hand will ba able to help the team right away since montreal is going All in for their 100th aniversary.

Jack jonhson has skills,size, grit, toughness and right handness...name another guy that fits this description in the system. would be a perfect fit along Hamrlik.

those in the system aren't ready yet. Jonhson on the other hand will ba able to help the team right away since montreal is going All in for their 100th aniversary.

Jack jonhson has skills,size, grit, toughness and right handness...name another guy that fits this description in the system. would be a perfect fit along Hamrlik.

OK, you may be right. I wonder how they'd like Kovalev in return? ^_^

I have a gut feeling that Schneider will be appearing in the red and white pretty soon...

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I'm just wondering, with Pittsburgh struggling so badly, and the Habbers struggling so badly if they couldn't help each other out here.

Pittsburgh needs a #1 winger to play with either Crosby or Malkin. Montreal needs a centreman.

How about Jordan Staal for Alex Kovalev and and 1st round pick and a prospect. Maybe a little more going towards Pittsburgh.

I'm just wondering, with Pittsburgh struggling so badly, and the Habbers struggling so badly if they couldn't help each other out here.

Pittsburgh needs a #1 winger to play with either Crosby or Malkin. Montreal needs a centreman.

How about Jordan Staal for Alex Kovalev and and 1st round pick and a prospect. Maybe a little more going towards Pittsburgh.

Interesting...but I doubt that Pittsburgh will bite given Kovy's UFA status. Also, can you imagine what Kovy will do to us every time we play Pittsburgh? :lol:

I'd prefer that we 'replace' Lang by handing the ball to Plekanec - telling him he can redeem his lost season by stepping up right now. To me, the fundamental weakness of this team is the lack of a second rushing defenceman. However, going forward Staal would unquestionably be a great acquisition, addressing the longer-term problem of the lack of any decent offensive centremen in the system.

Interesting...but I doubt that Pittsburgh will bite given Kovy's UFA status. Also, can you imagine what Kovy will do to us every time we play Pittsburgh? :lol:

I'd prefer that we 'replace' Lang by handing the ball to Plekanec - telling him he can redeem his lost season by stepping up right now. To me, the fundamental weakness of this team is the lack of a second rushing defenceman. However, going forward Staal would unquestionably be a great acquisition, addressing the longer-term problem of the lack of any decent offensive centremen in the system.

I think the fact that Kovalev is an UFA is perfect for Pittsburgh. If Kovalev works out, they resign him. If he bombs, they walk away and have $4.5 Million to work with next year to sign a forward as well as a 1st round pick and a very good prospect...maybe PK Subban as he name seems to mentioned alot and everyone needs defensemen.

Wayne Gretzky, Phil Esposito, Bob Clarke, Ray Bourque... oh... active players? :P

To bad he is injured but Id love to take Kaberle of the leafs. Would he be back to play some games for us before the playoffs and find a spot on the team?

Since he is injured he should come at maybe a bit lower price. Lecavalier would be great but I think it will never happen.

Jeez...at least I was going to say Guy Lafluer, Doug Harvey and Rocket Richard.

Fats Sardin!! no I am kidding.