Lang lost for season

Psycing

why would we need to move them to C? we didnt need to move anybody to C when Koivu was out...

It's a good point. All this panic about a missing C, when we're really no worse off than we were last season, or last month.

Is this just delusional fans, though? Maybe not.

-First, Lang brought attributes Koivu doesn't even if he wasn't quite as fast or offensively proficient.

-More to the point, Pleks isn't the Pleks of last year; with Lang out of the lineup there's Koivu at C, and then there's...nobody.

-Third, this injury isn't temporary, something we need to just ride out. It sounds like it could, conceivably, even be career-threatening. In short, unlike with the injury to Koivu, we are looking at entering the playoffs with only one decent offensive NHL centreman (who is himself aging, small and injury-prone).

Under the circumstances, then, it does make sense to talk about shifting the roster around to address this weakness. Whether Higgins or S. Kostitsyn are answers is another matter.

As Red Fisher once put it: help!

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope Bob doesn't bring Smoke back... ;)

In all seriousness, this is horrible news. The next move Bob makes will be of dire import. He will be dealing out of a position of weakness, and who knows what effect any player will have on a struggling team. This could be a real turning point in the season.

Time to see what Plekanec is made of...Last year can't be a total fluke can it?

It's easy to be doom and gloom about this, but let's be honest, we did fine enough with Koivu, Tanguay, and Higgins out of the lineup. Koivu is just rounding into form now. Higgins looks to actually be finding a way out of the doldrums, and Tangs ... well, he'll be back one day.

We know we have the depth: it's already proven itself to this point. Now D'Agostini and Pacioretty will most definitely be staying with the big club. We have Chipchura in Hamilton who seems to be either the hard-luck kid with respects to gaining a roster spot in Montreal or isn't up to snuff - and if the latter is the case, this is a chance presented to him on a silver platter. Begin is no Latendresse, but he has, over short spells, played well above his head. Tangs will be back, as will Lats.

And really, bottom line, it's not where you finish that really matters, it's what you do in the playoffs that counts. Montreal has not hit stride yet. If they're waiting until the playoffs to get healthy and start really going, I'm sure everyone is fine with that.

I'll never forget, so long ago, Don Cherry talking about the Habs early in his Coach's Corner stint. They playoffs were coming and the team had struggled a lot during the season with consistency and injuries. With about two weeks to go until the playoffs, there's Don being somewhat dejected. I'll paraphrase:

"And here we go again, folks, with the Montreal Canadiens. Never count them out I tell ya. Just like always, they're getting healthy at the right time going into the playoffs, and that means they're playing better as well. Watch out for those Canadiens."

If memory serves, that was 1986.

Thanks for some reassurance Colin. I was about ready to cry myself to sleep but this post helped me put things in perspective.

Lang out hurts. I hope Stewart comes up in place of Lats. I was very impressed with Stewart's play. I really think this guy is a career grinder of the Brad May fasion. He passes well, which is rare for these grinders. As for Lats replacement, Chip should be fine. I know Plek isn't putting up the points, but I really believe that Kovy helped his production a lot. With Lats and Lang out, the team should be a lot faster at least. LOL

Merde what a night, the Curse of the Pajamas? So now we come into the stretch with the games getting tougher, and our goon is a pacifist and a good chunk of our size up front is gone. Mahn this is not the way Season 100 was meant to play out ------ maybe this is the low point every season has, and the young guys will rise to the challenge and lead the team. Or, is this Koivu's time? Or Gainey's time? Somebody has got to get this thing out of the ditch and back on the road.........

Go Habs Go!

Some players in the line up have to step up.

Lang offensive production can only be replaced by Saku.

Problem is that no ther 4th centre did the job this year.

Latendresse was playing the best hockey of his young career. Higgins replaced on the line with Lapierre

and Kosto.

Anyway there is a spark much needed to be insert in that team.

The Loss of Lang will defeinately hurt. We now have absolutely no size down the middle!

Paccioretty and D'agostini will have to bring their games up a notch.

The Habs will desperately need Kovy, Koivu, Higgins, the Kostitsyn brothers and especially Plex to raise the level of their game to a higher degree.

Without that, the Habs might make the playoffs, but it will be a very short spring!

The most unfortunate thing about this is that Lang may have a Gilmour injury. It's highly, highly doubtful he'll play this year, and most likely he's going to struggle to be ready even for next season. Will Lang retire?

Another solution would be to change the identity of this team.

There not fast or talented enough to be the best but they can be tougher to

play against.

Henry was a surprise against the Bruins.

Stewart has prooved he can play head on.

Laraque wants to play even with a bad back.

+ Kosto, Komi, Bégin, Pac can be considered has tough nails,

Some people agreed on the Laperrière idea.

Ruslan Salei would be an upgrade over Bouillon.

It would hurt less to lose some if there is some pain inflicted to to the opponent.

While this obviously isnt great news I dont really think its all that bad either. :P

Without Lang the Habs will drop in the standings.

Lets show those stupid Laffs how to tank for Tavares. :lol:

The Bruins are the 1st seed and they wont know what hit them when the 8th place Habs get their entire team healthy just before the playoffs start.

The Habs usually go far when they are under estimated from injuries the team had had all year. I honestly beleive that the Habs screwed up big time last year being 1st. Teams knew that they had to prepare to beat the Habs last year, nobody was caught napping looking past the Habs. A lot of people still arent sure if the Habs are true contenders or pretenders. Now that the Habs top player is out most teams will start thinking the Habs are just hype, but we all know the truth.

Also I dont think Langs injury is as bad as they are saying. This year they seem to be cautiously pessimistic aboot injuries. Nobody has returned quickly from injury so I think they are just giving the worst case scenario. I highly doubt Lang will be out that long, his tendon is only sliced, not severed. The injury didnt really look like much so the tendon was probably only slightly nicked by Yelles skate.

It was about time another injury happened, the Habs have been sliding. The youngsters have provided a lot of youthful energy with the previous injuries this year and I dont think Langs injury replacements will be any different. Now we get to see more of a preview of the 2010 Habs. Who's the next Bulldog contestant?

All of the floaters will be forced to get their acts together or they will look useless compared to the Bulldogs who are playing with heart every shift because they want a full time NHL spot. Anyone taking their NHL spot for granted will be moved for what Bob feels they need the most and it will help Bob make important decisions of who needs to be resigned and who he can let walk this summer. Strep up, or step out. The time to start really playing is now.

Maybe we will send him to the guy that fixed Sourey. He will come back with a bionic leg, only the other foot won't keep up.

Jokes aside, I wish him a speedy recovery, and hope he don't listen to the crap. He is a young man and will return to the game. Any luck he is back for the playoffs, and we make it without or top centre.

Note to Pleks, summer is over now.

Note to Saku, be the shirt!

Note to Laps, hows it feel being the top centre?

Note to Chips, welcome back to the big show!

At this point, I'd rather see the Habs give a shot to Yannik Lehoux (right-shooting C, 13th best scorer in the AHL) than have to witness an umpteenth lackluster stint by Chipchura.

He has earned a shot. Dog fans would rather lose Chips I would say.

At this point, I'd rather see the Habs give a shot to Yannik Lehoux (right-shooting C, 13th best scorer in the AHL) than have to witness an umpteenth lackluster stint by Chipchura.

:clap:

game tonight, so you have to figure they're going to call somebody up this afternoon.... wonder when they'll make the announcement.

If Laraque is ready to play, no callup is technically necessary - Begin/Laraque replace Lang/Latendresse. (I never said it was desirable...)

Even if Laraque isn't ready, if Brisebois is ready then there's no callup neccessary... Henry is a swing man, he has played a lot of forward at the NHL level, and even if a better d-man is available, they might want to keep him up for the toughness factor as a forward. The no callup scenario means Begin is playing centre.