Lang lost for season

Psycing

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point, I'd rather see the Habs give a shot to Yannik Lehoux (right-shooting C, 13th best scorer in the AHL) than have to witness an umpteenth lackluster stint by Chipchura.

Agreed. Were you the one who called on Tony Marinaro's show earlier this morning requesting that the habs Call up Lehoux???

Agreed. Were you the one who called on Tony Marinaro's show earlier this morning requesting that the habs Call up Lehoux???

Who's Tony Marinaro?

No, never called any show. I said this summer that Lehoux would lead the Dogs and could deserve a call-up at some point. It's almost a miracle that he's still putting almost a point per game given that there's almost no offensive talent left around him. He's got 13 pts in 15 games in January and almost every one of those points is with a different player (Glumac, Trotter, White, Weber, Gainey, etc.)

Him and Dago were making a killing before Matt got called up. Maybe they could have some of that chemistry again, I dunno. It's certainly worth a shot given the current situation.

Lehoux is eligible for recall waivers, but apparently Henry was as well and no one picked him up.

The Habs have now used everyone who survived the first cuts at training camp at least once. 31 different players...

Lehoux is eligible for recall waivers, but apparently Henry was as well and no one picked him up.

The Habs have now used everyone who survived the first cuts at training camp at least once. 31 different players...

I think because Henry was designated as an emergency callup, the waiver issue was avoided. In that case, they could do the same with Lehoux, but the cap situation would become even more dire.

I think because Henry was designated as an emergency callup, the waiver issue was avoided. In that case, they could do the same with Lehoux, but the cap situation would become even more dire.

What's dire? Lang is out for the year, so they can go over the cap by his salary.

I propose we just cut the crap and trade for Lecavalier (I'm a genius, I know, you're all jealous because none of you ever thought about that before me!)

:lol:

seriously though, that's a very very sad news... but it also open up some caproom to make way for a trade, if there was any remote possibility a trade for a big guy could happen, well, it's now possible! :(

What's dire? Lang is out for the year, so they can go over the cap by his salary.

Nope...as I said earlier in this thread, they can go over the cap by the difference between 56.7 and where they are now (barely $700,000). There's also the implication of LTIR and player activation, it wouldn't apply to Lang but moreso Tanguay/Latendresse if he'll miss that long. If one of those 2 is LTIR'ed, the team would have to move out other players to re-activate them as they'd be over the upper limit. See Philly and Daniel Briere's continual injury - it's not so much that he's hurt as it's the fact that they can't move the salary out.

The Canadiens are going to make a trade come deadline for sure now. This was a big blow for the Habs. I think Lang showed us that he deserved a contrct for next season. If Gainey wants to do that it will have to be for cheap enough.

Isnt Lang a possibility for the Playoffs?

Edited by Fanpuck33
Merged

I think Lang showed us that he deserved a contrct for next season. If Gainey wants to do that it will have to be for cheap enough.

Lang will have a hard time getting a contract next year. It wasn't long ago that Achilles injuries were often career enders. Even a young guy like Chipchura had his career changed drastically by an Achilles injury. Obviously we can't say for sure he'd be contributing more at the NHL level if not for the injury, but I would say it is likely. So not only is Lang coming off an injury that is difficult to rehab even for young players, he was already not the fastest skater and is pushing 40. On top of that, once he signs a contract, he counts against the NHL cap even if he is forced to retire. (ala Mogilny)

This injury cost him a lot of money. He was playing very well and probably was earning himself a similar salary for next year, or at least not a huge paycut. Now, I'd be surprised to see him get much more than a million.

Nope...as I said earlier in this thread, they can go over the cap by the difference between 56.7 and where they are now (barely $700,000). There's also the implication of LTIR and player activation, it wouldn't apply to Lang but moreso Tanguay/Latendresse if he'll miss that long. If one of those 2 is LTIR'ed, the team would have to move out other players to re-activate them as they'd be over the upper limit. See Philly and Daniel Briere's continual injury - it's not so much that he's hurt as it's the fact that they can't move the salary out.

If it's legal, why wouldn't we place Lang on the LTIR? If it isn't, that's dumb.

Isnt Lang a possibility for the Playoffs?

Not a chance....Achilles injuries are very severe. He won't even be able to walk normally by the time the finals are wrapped up, let alone play hockey at the start of the playoffs.

Not a chance....Achilles injuries are very severe. He won't even be able to walk normally by the time the finals are wrapped up, let alone play hockey at the start of the playoffs.

According to this, our friend Justin Williams may be an example of a 'best-case scenario':

Link

Team sources expressed fears on Sunday that Lang may not be back this season, although the Carolina Hurricanes' Justin Williams suffered a similar injury in mid-September and was back on the ice in early December.

Were Lang to make a similar recovery, he could return to action in the second round of the playoffs.

Assuming his team makes it that far.

I've heard 3 months minimum. So, with surgery on Feb. 2, that means he won't be back until at least May 2 or thereabouts. I'd say he's a no until at least Round 3 if the Habs make it that far.

Considering that this could be career-jeopardizing, have any fans considered circulating some sort of 'best wishes' petition for this player whom so many fans seem to truly appreciate? Just asking.

Absolutely if he can pass a physical.

Yeah, after the Laraque fiasco we better not take any more chances with that type of thing.

Get well soon Robert! Like many here I would love to have him back next year.