Latendresse out 4 to 6 weeks

JoeLassister

Gainey just lost a trading piece right here.

If he actually was on the trading block (and no guarantees either way), then I doubt this means he lost a trading piece at all. All the teams that will be sellers will almost certainly be building for next year and beyond, and not care that one of the guys they get in return is out for a week or two come the deadline.

And yes, injured players can be traded... Gainey dealt Jose Theodore, remember?

Gainey just lost a trading piece right here.

:wacko:

Doubt Lats was ever a trading piece to Bob. They spent lot of time and energy in developing Lats into a complete player and it's only starting to pan out. Lats-Laps-Kosto had become the team's most consistent line and the one Carbo used as a checking line, in part because Lats has become reliable in his own end and is one of the rare Habs players who can actually win 1-on-1 battles along the boards in the offensive zone. And he's just 21 still.

:wacko:

Doubt Lats was ever a trading piece to Bob. They spent lot of time and energy in developing Lats into a complete player and it's only starting to pan out. Lats-Laps-Kosto had become the team's most consistent line and the one Carbo used as a checking line, in part because Lats has become reliable in his own end and is one of the rare Habs players who can actually win 1-on-1 battles along the boards in the offensive zone. And he's just 21 still.

I've gotta agree with Kozed there. He should be kept on the roster for a few moree years for sure and then we can truely evaluate his potential...just look how he improved from his first 2 years...it's been a constant improvement and i'm almost 100% sure this player hasnt reach his peak at all. The experience he gained from NHL experience was certainly made him a more consistent player which all player moving from junior to NHL desesperately try to achieve in their first year...

In my mind there's other trading cards in Gainey's pocket that are more worthwhile to part with for now. Especially in the D defense prospect we have...some may be all good players in the future yet we wont be able to sign them all.

Problem is dealing with the cap space...we need to let big $ salary go...Latendresse isnt one of them. So i guess we'll rent some of our UFA players if we suceed in making the "big trade" everyone talks about...

Some rumors talk about Lecavalier, Brad Richards....

I can see Lecavalier theorically happening, yet i dont see how Montreal will convincre the Lightning to part with without Montreal shredding a good part of the prospects we gathered over there years + draft picks.

Trading Lats would be the height of stupidity. A move worthy of Rejean Houle. At 21, he has the potential to become the kind of hulking top-6 power forward this organizaton desperately needs. He may or may not achieve that, but there's no way you can dismiss the possibility in his case.

Trading Lats would be the height of stupidity. A move worthy of Rejean Houle. At 21, he has the potential to become the kind of hulking top-6 power forward this organizaton desperately needs. He may or may not achieve that, but there's no way you can dismiss the possibility in his case.

Yupp, the absolute pinnacle of stupidity.

Lats is learning to base his game around his size, rather than looking at someone like Higgins and trying to do the same thing. Players who play big need longer to develop the required strength and the knowledge of how to use it, it's that simple. I think it'll be a few more years until we really see how good lats can become.

I like that about the entire team: the fact that there are still so many young players still developing their games, getting better from week to week (not drastically, only slightly), inching toward fulfilling their potential.

Lats doesn't win battles along the boards, he holds pucks there for sure, but he rarely turns it into a scoring chance. He still looks like a career 3rd liner to me, but I hope to be proven wrong. Still waiting for his big breakout.

While I doubt he was on the block, it all depends on what you get for him. In any case, it still hurts our trade prospects because we are short players, making it hard to give up roster players in a trade, even in that roster player wasn't lats.

I'm glad to see that there are some people on these boards who do see that Power forwards take longer to develop!! Lats is a work in progress. We won't be able to determine just how good he can become until he turns 24 or 25(which is usually when power forwards start to make an impact.

It's unfortunate for Guillaume, he had been playing well for the past 6 weeks!

Edited by Habsfan

One positive is that Patches will stay a while longer

With the Lang injury, everyone currently on the team will likely be up with the team the remainder of the year (barring trades). Even when Gui is healthy, Pacioretty likely won't be sent down unless he plays his way off the team.

One positive is that Patches will stay a while longer

true! That's a good thing. the kid is learning. He makes some mistakes, but that is to be expected of a 19 year old rookie. Like I said, Pacioretty is still learning!

I think other players on the Habs roster rank high in terms of trade value than Lantendresse. The Kostitsyns, Higgins, Pacioretty, O'Byrne and even D'Agostini probably rate higher. Latendresse hasn't proven to be anything more than a 3rd line player yet. Granted he is still young. He may develop into a good powerforward but not until Montreal gets a #1 centre, and the team decides to shoot more, especially on the powerplay, where he can bang in garbage goals off rebounds.