Habs/Komisarek: There haven't been any talks!

Habsfan

Here's an article I found on Cyberpresse.ca

Translation will be at the bottom!

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hockey/20...e-la-saison.php

Komisarek: aucune négo avant la fin de la saison

Bob Gainey n'aura pas beaucoup de temps pour s'entendre avec Mike Komisarek avant que celui-ci n'atteigne l'autonomie complète le 1er juillet.

Marc Antoine Godin

La Presse

L'agent de Mike Komisarek, Matt Keator, a confirmé à La Presse aujourd'hui qu'aucune négociation de contrat n'aurait lieu avec le Canadien avant la fin du calendrier.

«Il ne se passe rien et on n'anticipe pas qu'il va se passer quoi que ce soit jusque après la saison, a mentionné Keator. C'est le choix de Bob, c'est lui le DG.»

Les deux parties n'auront donc pas beaucoup de temps pour s'entendre avant que Komisarek n'atteigne l'autonomie complète le 1er juillet.

Or, de l'avis de Keator, la situation économique actuelle change quelque peu la donne dans le marché. Les équipes se préparent d'ores et déjà à une baisse marquée du plafond salarial en vue de la saison 2010-2011.

«Les joueurs de haut niveau vont continuer d'obtenir leur argent», estime le représentant de joueurs, qui veille entre autres aux intérêts de Zdeno Chara.

«Mais je crois que les joueurs dits de la classe moyenne risquent de ne plus gagner autant. On peut s'attendre à ce que les équipes se tournent davantage vers de jeunes joueurs qui ne coûtent pas cher pour compléter leur alignement.

«C'est de cette façon qu'ils pourront se garder assez d'argent pour leurs joueurs étoiles.»

Si Komisarek, comme l'avancent certains, peut aller chercher près de six millions sur le marché - un chiffre que l'agent s'est bien gardé de commenter, aujourd'hui - ça ne fera plus de doute qu'il a le statut de joueur étoile!

Mike Komisarek's agent, Matt Keator, has confirmed to La Presse that as of today, no contract negotiations have taken place between the Habs and Komisarek and he doesn't anticipate any negotiations to take place before the end of the season.

"Nothing is happening, and we don't exopect anythig to happen until the end of the season. It's Bob's choice, he's the G.M." said Keator.

If that is the case, that means there won't be much time to agree on contract terms before Komisarek becomes a U.F.A on July 1st.

According to Keator, the current econimic situation will change the current market. Teams are preparing for the 2010-2011 season, where it is expected that the salary cap ceiling will be drastically lowered.

"Superstars will continue to get big paychecks" says the player agent, who also represents Zdeno Chara.

"However, I also believe that the average players will see their salaries drop significantly. I expect teams to look at younger players that don't cost as much. That's the way teams will be able to continue to pay their stars the big salaries."

If, like many people seem to believe, Komisarek can fetch 6 million$ on the open market, it will certainly ciment Komisarek's reputation as a star in the league.

Well, I really don't like the way Bob is handling this. Let's say the Habs make it to the second round. That means Bob will have less than 6 weks to get Koimsarek signed...and we all know that Keator has a tendancy to get his players to wait till they have reached free agency, and he usually gets them to accept an offer from another team!

If Bob loses Komisarek to Free agency, i will be asking for his head on a platter!

Don't fv.ck it up Bob!!!

Edited by Habsfan

I'm not so worried about it. Souray did call Gainey a dream boss. Trust in BOb! I like how he approaches this as a GM. He wants the players to be thinking about hockey. Not negotiations. Gainey has made it clear that you have to be a "certain type of player" to play in Montreal or want to play in Montreal. Komisarek is such a player and when all is said and done I believe he will be signed before July 1st. He seems to be happy with the Habs based on interviews etc. And, defence plus goaltending wins championships. I have to think that someone of our GM's approach to the game and his intellect would not let a player get away who so many teams covet.

Maybe Gainey shook Komi's hand and said, "We'll work it out. We want to sign you. We'll talk at the conclusion of the playoffs. And, just like I honoured Markov, Koivu, Kovalev, Hamrlik, Huet with good market contracts...and considering the offer I gave to Souray. You can count on getting equivalent market value."

Gainey's history demonstrates :)

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

Gainey came out a few weeks ago when the LEcavalie rumours were hot and heavy and said that he has had no dissucusons with any of the Habs UFA OR RFA and probably will not until the offseason.

He stated that it wasn't necassary as the players that want to remain here after their contract expires will wait for the offseason to negotiate

1st off, if we lose Komo, or any oher player to free agency, don't blame Gainey, but the team that makes the offer. I think he will stay here if the money isn't stupid high elsewhere.If it is stupid high, I say let him walk. I hope none of the UFA's get signed before off season. So we can 1st see where the cap sits and second see who is unsigned from other teams, and mainly, see who shows up in the playoffs! If Komo, or any UFA is a no show at the dance, again, say bye-bye now.. Smart move Bob. Please don't sign any of them yet. Enough said?

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

Fearless prediction: Gainey will sign Komisarek to a 4-year deal worth approximately $4.25 - $4.75 million (that's a cap hit). Approximately $18M over four years.

No chance that Komisarek signs that cheap...how could he possibly accept making less than Hamrlik?

If it's July first and Komisarek has no deal, then I start worrying. Until then, I don't freak out since Bob always has this under control, no need to push the panic button.

Really?

I remember last year at about this time. We could have signed Streit to a 3 year deal at 7.5 million$ (2.5 million$ per year) which is well worth it considering what he can bring to the offense and on the PP....but noooo. Bob decided not to talk until the season was over and Streit was offered 4.1 million$ per year. I understand that Streit is not worth 4.1 million$, but that's what he got when he went to free agency...why plya with fire?

The earlier you sign him, the cheaper it will be and you don't risk the chance that some other GM makes a ridiculous offer to your player!

Gainey came out a few weeks ago when the LEcavalie rumours were hot and heavy and said that he has had no dissucusons with any of the Habs UFA OR RFA and probably will not until the offseason.

He stated that it wasn't necassary as the players that want to remain here after their contract expires will wait for the offseason to negotiate

Again, why wait til the end of the season? What if the negotiations take longer than expected? What if, the Habs and the Komisarek clan are close to a deal and it's june 14th? Don't you think that Keator will tell Komisarek to wait another 2 weeks, and then see what the market will offer him? It's a no brainer. And yoiu just know that Toronto will make him an interesting offer(Komisarek is the type of Player Brian Burke loves) and then there's L.A. who has alot of money under the cap. Any one of these teams could offer komisarek 36 million$ over 6 years...and then Bob will have to let him go. Had he negotiated with him last summer, or this season, he could have signed him to 30 million over 6 years.

And to the guys here who say that we should just let Komisarek go...I can't beleive you are saying that. The habs had been looking for a big, solid defenseman for over a decade. Now that we have one (one of the best in the league) you wanna let him go? Who are we gonna replace him with? O'byrne, McDonough, Fisher? None of these guys have the toughness and the mean streak that Komisarek has.

Another "Komisarek hasn't been talked to!!" thread? Sigh.

Every thread has a title. Read it. if you don't like the title of the thread, don't read the thread! :rolleyes:

Really?

I remember last year at about this time. We could have signed Streit to a 3 year deal at 7.5 million$ (2.5 million$ per year) which is well worth it considering what he can bring to the offense and on the PP....but noooo. Bob decided not to talk until the season was over and Streit was offered 4.1 million$ per year. I understand that Streit is not worth 4.1 million$, but that's what he got when he went to free agency...why plya with fire?

The earlier you sign him, the cheaper it will be and you don't risk the chance that some other GM makes a ridiculous offer to your player!

If we had signed Streit we had no money to go after a centre, Lang, in the off season. Glad we didn't sign him. Why are we worried about other GM's over paying to get our talent? It only means they ice a team without any depth and have to leave other talent unprotected. Let those dummies do what they will. Depth over 1 line any day! NYI sure looks great with that over paid guy on the pp, don't they! Let them have him. Ok, their PP might be ok, but they are in dead last! Great poaching there idiots! Let somebody pay Vinnie money for Komo, he ain't worth half it, so therefore we win in the deal. How many games has he won for us ? He isn't that guy. 3.5-4.5 tops, and yes, Hammer is over paid, but that will adjust itself soon enough.

Also, Komo has no doubt been told by his agent 5-6 mill next year. Why would he sign for less now?

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

No chance that Komisarek signs that cheap...how could he possibly accept making less than Hamrlik?

I agree that he can get more than that, but I don't see why he needs to make more than Hamrlik. The two of them are about as good and Hamrlik gets more points (which usually help more in getting more dollars).

Really?

The reason why we could have signed Streit for so much less was because we didn't expect him to be a 60 point player before the season. He exceeded everyone's expectations. The only way for Komisarek to do that would be to totally open up his offensive game in the final 30 games of the season.

I'd also argue that Streit is worth the money he's getting but that's a different story.

The reason why we could have signed Streit for so much less was because we didn't expect him to be a 60 point player before the season. He exceeded everyone's expectations.

Yes, but Like I said earlier, "AT THIS TIME LAST YEAR" Streit was well on his way to his 60 point season...Bob could have approached them and offered the 7.5 million over 3 years and Streit would have accpeted. Our PP would be much better today!

Again, why wait til the last second and take a risk of losing a VERY IMPORTANT player on this team. A player we have been waiting for for the past 10-15 years, to just let him go for nothing!

Glad we didn't sign him. Why are we worried about other GM's over paying to get our talent? It only means they ice a team without any depth and have to leave other talent unprotected. Let those dummies do what they will. Depth over 1 line any day! NYI sure looks great with that over paid guy on the pp, don't they! Let them have him. Ok, their PP might be ok, but they are in dead last! Great poaching there idiots! Let somebody pay Vinnie money for Komo, he ain't worth half it, so therefore we win in the deal. How many games has he won for us ? He isn't that guy. 3.5-4.5 tops

To just say that komo hasn't won us any games(he won the game for us against Toronto last year!;);) ) and that he's not worth 4 million$ per year, tells me you don't know how things work in the NHL. A bit naive on your behalf!!

komo might not score 20 goals per year, but he blocks about 5-7 shots PER GAME and dishes out 5-7 bodychecks PER GAME.(lead the league last year in both categories and would lead agains this year had he not missed 20 games) Let's not forget that he plays on average 22 minutes per game. Remove him from our blue line, and the habs lose even more "toughness" which is something that many of you here have said that was lacking on the Habs!

That's the conventional wisdom, but these are unconventional times. It will be interesting to see what the salary cap will be next year, and even more signficantly, what team's budgets will be compared to this year. The salary cap may not fall much, and might even increase a bit, as it'll be based on this year's revenues, whereas teams will be setting their budget based on their anticipated revenue, so fewer teams may be willing to spend to the cap max.

That's not to say there won't be healthy interest in Komisarek, but the astronomical numbers that we've seen in the past may not materialize.

If I'm reading his comments right, Gainey is a guy who has absolutely no problem with paying a player a big salary - he's not solely motivated to get someone as cheap as possible. He'll pay a big price if he believes it's fair, and he'll be most comfortable offering a fair price when he has the most information. That's why he likes to negotiate after the season is over, when he's seen the player's performance in its totality. Gainey is unconcerned about impending free agency: if a player is happy and wants to stay, there's lots of time to get a deal done if the team wants him. If a player is bent on testing the market, it's likely he made that decision well in advance.

Yes, but Like I said earlier, "AT THIS TIME LAST YEAR" Streit was well on his way to his 60 point season...Bob could have approached them and offered the 7.5 million over 3 years and Streit would have accpeted. Our PP would be much better today!

Again, why wait til the last second and take a risk of losing a VERY IMPORTANT player on this team. A player we have been waiting for for the past 10-15 years, to just let him go for nothing!

To just say that komo hasn't won us any games(he won the game for us against Toronto last year!;) ;) ) and that he's not worth 4 million$ per year, tells me you don't know how things work in the NHL. A bit naive on your behalf!!

komo might not score 20 goals per year, but he blocks about 5-7 shots PER GAME and dishes out 5-7 bodychecks PER GAME.(lead the league last year in both categories and would lead agains this year had he not missed 20 games) Let's not forget that he plays on average 22 minutes per game. Remove him from our blue line, and the habs lose even more "toughness" which is something that many of you here have said that was lacking on the Habs!

I will ignore the personal attack that was uncalled for except for this retort. I at least was scouted as a goalie in midget AAA and did have a shot if my knees were not bad. Don't buy your kids skateboards if you want them to play hockey! Of course there were no khee pads for the banana boards of my day. I never made it and don't know. Been there have you? Where did you play?

Wow, Leafs last year is how far you had to go back? See that worries me....

I am not saying he isn't worth 4, he is a great shot blocker, and tough and big, as you said. He is not a 6 mill, "Francise Player". To me, to be 6-7 mill in todays league you have to be one of the top 30 players, not onl;y at your position, but actual players, in the league. Everyy team can really only afford to carry one of these players and a handful of 4 mils. I am not saying someone won't give him 6 mil, That team wiill probably ice a few playwers in that bracket and a bunch of 1 mil guys. Personaly I prefer having a team of 4 mil, not superstars, but allstar type players mixed iin with talented youth. I know your system works in vid games, doesn't seem to in real life.

Komo and Markov, I believe, are both 4 mil guys. Players have to come to realize that if you don't demand too much money, you get to play on a better team as you can have more lang/saku/Kovalev/Tangs or your team at 4 mil. If 2 d-men make 6 mil each instead of 4, you lose a 4 mil player. That is just dumb, especialy considering how much of that goes to taxes anyway. If you want to play hockey, and have fun, you need a decent team. There is no 6 mil in the word "team" At most, 1 player gets that kind of money. He better be damn good and it never be questioned by his team mates. Absolute superstar only money. That is not what it is but what it should be. I say fill 'er up with 4 mil and youth players unless it is Vinnie. Only because he is the PQ superstar and he has proven his value. He would deliver as the leader on this team, he would proudly be the shirt. He is in the top 30.

Two points:

Failing economy = lower contracts

Zetterberg signed at $6M which is less than many superstars. No reason to think Komi, a Canadiens fan and player, won't accept agree to something of a hometown discount and make less than Hamr. Different times.

Two points:

Failing economy = lower contracts

Zetterberg signed at $6M which is less than many superstars. No reason to think Komi, a Canadiens fan and player, won't accept agree to something of a hometown discount and make less than Hamr. Different times.

I think Komisarek is going to give the Habs a discount, but not a deep discount. Why should he? A proven top pair d-man coming into his prime is going to get a slew of offers for solid money even if the cap goes down. You don't think Brian Burke would shoot him an offer in a heartbeat on July 1?

Komi may accept less money and longer term. Of course that carries other problems (imagine if he loses a step at age 34 and we're stuck with a $4.5 mil cap hit until age 40? :lol: )

Bob's policy has been that it's fairest to wait when signing young players: fairest both to the organization, since we don't get stuck paying big dough for promising youth that fails to pan out (imagine if Pleks had been signed after last season? - the mind boggles!!); and fairest to the player, who ends up neither with the pressure of playing up to a bloated contract when it turns out he can't deliver, and also doesn't get ripped off if his development surpasses expectations.

You can disagree. But I suspect it's part of Bob's wider vision for the organization - that it deal in a fair and principled way with its 'assets,' even if this means occasionally losing players to free agency. (That's why you need a strong developmental system, to replace those guys). He's tried really hard to create a kind of coccoon-ish quality to the Montreal Canadiens, where people who come through the system are thoroughly loyal to it. This is one aspect of that, perhaps.

I love Komi and would hate to see him leave, but anyone who thinks he is worth 6 million is crazy. I don't think he is worth much more than 4 million. He is a tough as nails and blocks tons of shots, but he has almost no offensive side to his game, thus not worth what a number 1 d-man makes.

Get it done BG, but not for more than 4 million.

I love Komi and would hate to see him leave, but anyone who thinks he is worth 6 million is crazy. I don't think he is worth much more than 4 million. He is a tough as nails and blocks tons of shots, but he has almost no offensive side to his game, thus not worth what a number 1 d-man makes.

That would actually be the one reason I wouldn't mind seeing him on a pairing without Markov. He was the PP QB his last year in Michigan, but has never been asked to fill that role in our organization. Their is offensive talent there, but even Komi himself has said that since he plays with Markov, he let's Andrei take care of all the offense coming out of the zone. I'd like to see what would happen if you were forced to play a more offensive role. Of course, there are conspiracy theorists who say they won't let Komi develop any offense till he's signed to a long term deal in an attempt to keep his price reasonable.