Habs/Komisarek: There haven't been any talks!

Habsfan

Was it not BG who said something to the effect of:

"In long term contracts, there is always one party who is not happy."

Makes sense, really. Either the organization is over paying, or underpaying at some point down the road. Think about it, the economy is an ever changing beast (as we've all seen) and with the cap now tied to it (almost directly), who's foolish enough to think that in 6 or 8 years down the road, the cap will be the same? Or even similar? Economies can change significantly in that time.

A team signing a long term contract is a general manager putting his eggs in the 'the economy is going up, therefore the cap with it, and this contract will represent a smaller fraction of my spendable cash either during, or at the end of the term; and that this player will continue to play at the level he is currently playing."

A team signing shorter term contracts, as BG has been doing, is a general manager saying 'listen, the cap changes every season, and so does the play of each player. when this contract is done, let's see where the cap is, and where your play is, and we'll decide on a salary which satisfies both the team and the player at that time.'

I personally think it is dumb that general managers, on the basis of 1, 2 or 3 seasons of good play from a player, offer guaranteed contracts based on the assumption that the player will play at the same level for another 8, 10 or even 12 years. Ridiculous. I say Bob keeps giving the 3 and 4 year deal. He knows what he's doing.

I also think that long term contracts could affect determination also (for some players). You can't tell me a greedy player on a 10 year deal is going to train harder day in-day out, off-season, everything, to get better, than would an equally greedy player on a 2 or 4 year deal. The player on the shorter term is thinking about how his play will reflect on his next contract, while the player with the 10 year deal is set for life money-wise so couldn't care less about being the best, or second/third best player on his team.

I'm just rambling. Point being I prefer short (4 or 5 years max) term contracts over long term ones. Those 10 year deals scare the begeezus outta me.

It seems that Komi's play is getting worse and worse.

Giveaways and constantly getting caught out of position.

Not helping his value.

No kidding. There should be talks all right, but not about a contract:

Komi: So, you wanted to see me, Bob? Is this about a contract extension?

BG: Umm, no...this is about your play of late. You are constantly out of position, you cough up the puck regularly, and your hits have about as much 'oomph' behind them as Plekanec's.

Komi: That's a bit harsh.

BG: No, what's harsh is watching the guy who led the league in hits and blocked shots last season morphing into Peter Popovic version 2.0 in front of my very eyes. Get your head out of your ass, son...or there wont' be anything to talk about in June!

Or something like that.

That would actually be the one reason I wouldn't mind seeing him on a pairing without Markov. He was the PP QB his last year in Michigan, but has never been asked to fill that role in our organization. Their is offensive talent there, but even Komi himself has said that since he plays with Markov, he let's Andrei take care of all the offense coming out of the zone. I'd like to see what would happen if you were forced to play a more offensive role. Of course, there are conspiracy theorists who say they won't let Komi develop any offense till he's signed to a long term deal in an attempt to keep his price reasonable.

Almost every d-man in the NHL has had good offensive numbers at the developmental levels. Every bruising WHL d-man was once their junior team's PP QB. Komi doesn't have the puck skills to do that at this level. He could do it against a ton of players that never would make the NHL, but he can't against the best. Simple as that.

People are complaining about komisashrek's play of late. No hits no shots on goal, terrible mistakes. I think his shoulder is still injured which doesn't help him to be his best.

Andy McDonald, being severely injured, by the way , signed today a contract extension with the Blues. :rolleyes:

So you think we should start to do things the way StLouis does? They last made the playoffs when? That is by no means an argument for signing a player now, if the Blues did it , it was probably wrong!

People are complaining about komisashrek's play of late. No hits no shots on goal, terrible mistakes. I think his shoulder is still injured which doesn't help him to be his best.

I think he has eoroinfluencia, most common among NAmerican players that are over exposed to Eupopeans. 1st symptom is careless handling of the puck, followed by lack of hitting, lots of ineffective skating and stickhandling, and an overall lackluster performance. Best cured through trades or NA's standing up in the lockerroom and saying no more, if you play like that I will pound on you after the game. Maybe BGL should be allowed to punch every player in the face for every bonehead move they make each game. Yes his fist would be sore, but we could allow him to tape it. maybe if they had fear as a motivation, because the cup means nothing to these guys....

Unfortunately these core guys have learned if you don't play hard we'll change the coach. I have no idea why Komi is so bad, he is kind of reminding me of Rivet, says the right things after the game and sucks during the game.

I can hear it now "We need to play hard for 60 minutes and win some battles" thanks Rivet, i mean Komi. How about hutting up and ACTUALLY leading by example, even if your team sucks, you can play better.

At least his stock is going down.

So you think we should start to do things the way StLouis does? They last made the playoffs when? That is by no means an argument for signing a player now, if the Blues did it , it was probably wrong!

What's your point ? Signing top 3 players on your team during the season = not making the playoffs ???