• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Markov - Komisarek

Schneider - Hamrlik

Gorges - Brisebois

Bouillon - Dandenault

O'Byrne

My guess is that O'Byrne gets sent back to Hamilton or Bouillon gets moved for a 3rd. I figure with injuries being what they are, the Habs will look to keep all the defensemen they can heading into the playoffs (should the team make the post-season...) Thus, sending O'Byrne down to play big minutes in Hamilton seems the likely result of this deal.

I was against bringing back Schneider to montreal...mostly because of his age and his huge salary. but seeing the way the Habs have sucked on the D for the better part of 1 month now, Bob had to do SOMETHING!

the price(a 2nd and a 3rd rounder) was expensive, but that's what happens when you make deals in the middle of a huge downward spiral.

UUUUgghhhhhhhhhhhh...its f**king horrible.....a 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder

Along with the 2nd we lost for Lang and the 1st we lost for Tanguay....our future is dissappearing.

I do not like this at all

I'm not too worried about it. Don't forget that BOb usually will get those picks back somehow so now I expect another move. Eg. Zednik to FLA for a 3rd then a 4th to Phoenix for Mike Johnson. Huet for a 2nd and then a 2nd for Grabovski - spent on Lang as examples. He tends to always get them back. Here's hoping

If the team is still set on playing Brisebois, I wouldn't be surprised to see Schneider play along side him either. They were both members of the Habs back in '93 when the team won its last Stanley Cup (although, I have no idea as to whether or not the two played together then).

According to this:

http://tsn.ca/tradecentre/feature/?id=9063

Atlanta gets: 2009 2nd + 2010 3rd

Montreal gets: Schneider + Conditional 2009 draft pick

Along with the 2nd we lost for Lang and the 1st we lost for Tanguay....our future is dissappearing.

It's actually not that bad... The 2nd rounder we traded for Lang was acquired in the Grabovski trade and if I'm not mistaken I believe we had 2 3rd rounder this year from a previous trade. So it's not like we don't have draft picks next year - we still have a first round pick and rounds 3 through 7.

As well, everything has to be looked at relatively - The Tangauy trade was a good trade (it wasn't a deep draft last year and Montreal wasn't crazy about the possible 25th overall pick). Tangauy will greatly improve our team when he comes back. Furthermore, Schneider is still a good defenceman who was playing on a bad team - his numbers are low because he played on Atlanta and I bet you that another GM would've paid an equal price to grab Schneider at the deadline.

Everyone take a deep breath - Schneider greatly improves our defence (because the D has been so bad defensively and offensively over the last 15 games) and we could afford to trade a 2nd and 3rd because we have so many propsects and enough draft picks.

As a final note, I like the trade because it is wake up call for the players. Gainey's hands were tied - he could only send a few players down to Hamilton (and those were the young guys playing well) and he couldn't call anymore players up because of the roster limit. So, he either had to give up on young guys and trade them (because no one will take our aging shitty veterans) or sacrifice some draft picks to improve the team and shake the players out of the worst funk I have seen from such a talented team

So everyone chill... and prey that it works!

Atlanta gets: 2009 2nd + 2010 3rd

Montreal gets: Schneider + Conditional 2009 draft pick

OK, that's better than what I expected!

anyone know how many years he has left on his contract. I think we gave up too much for a guy his age. I doubt if that leaves any room for an impact centre now. :wacko:

Unless Gainey gets those picks back somewhere down the line, this is a terrible deal. We've traded away more than enough picks as it is - especially considering that this team is obviously NOT Cup material. I have no interest in watching this team gradually degenerate because we lack the talent in the system to replace players lost to age or free agency. This is the first time Bob makes a move that I feel really is marked by short-term panic rather than longer-term analysis. Medium to long term: bad bad bad.

Having said all that, Schneider will certainly help us in the present. He's playing top-4 minutes in Atlanta and has gotten on a roll lately. He's on the downside but not a total has-been like Brisebois. Just as importantly, he's a Cup winner who understands Montreal and will not be phased by all the BS. Short term: good. Provided he stays healthy.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Would you guys have been happier had we traded away our developing prospects? Getting Schneider without giving up any roster player or prospects is pretty good in my books.

The 2nd we moved for Lang was the 2nd we got for Grabovski, so it was basically Grabovski for Lang and Pateryn.

P.S. Looking through what I could find, the 2nd rounder is the one we got in the Huet trade, since we already traded our own 2nd in the Tanguay deal. As far as I can tell, the 3rd was our only one in 2010.

anyone know how many years he has left on his contract. I think we gave up too much for a guy his age. I doubt if that leaves any room for an impact centre now. :wacko:

He'll be a free agent on July 1st. That now makes 11 free agents for the habs come July 1st!

Here we go. Habs fans with A Good, B Bad or C Ugly grades on this trade. Whenever there is a trade it's civil war. :lol:

Schneider is the best non-elite D available without going to extremes. In todays market it was going to cost this amount to get Schneider. And, if we hadn't - someone would have IMO

This *might* help, but I'll wait to see how he works out before judging the trade. I think Fanpuck is right regarding the need to shed some cash, so I don't think Bob is done dealing. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the best.

first we bring in a long on the tooth breeze by, a washed up niinemaa and now a washed up Schneider. Who knows, maybe he'll be better then he has been at Atlanta and maybe he can help the PP.

I'd rather have given up a roster player for someone like Whitney or Morris, then giving up draft picks for a guy who looks like he's probaly done.

I HOPE he has somthing left in the tank to help the habs turn things around, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

The worst part about this deal is the salary cap hit. We NEED an impact centre and I'm not sure we can afford one now. I sure hope Gainey also doesn't give up a lot of youth for a guy like Jokinen to address the need for a big centre.

Here we go. Habs fans with A Good, B Bad or C Ugly grades on this trade. Whenever there is a trade it's civil war. :lol:

Schneider is the best non-elite D available without going to extremes. In todays market it was going to cost this amount to get Schneider. And, if we hadn't - someone would have IMO

You'd trade a 2nd and 3rd pick for a middling rental on a team that is unlikely to go really deep in the playoffs? It just seems like too much to me. In fairness, I haven't tabulated carefully all the picks we've dealt away and acquired over the last couple of years, but we lost a 2nd rounder for Lang, two high-ish picks for Tanguay, now a 2nd and 3rd for a few weeks' use of Schneider (who I like). Then we got a 2nd rounder back for Grabs. So we seem to have surrendered a 1st rounder, two 2nd rounders, and a 3rd rounder from our draft portfolio in the next couple of years - which is a lot if you ask me, especially given that this team seems to be some distance from actually being Cup-worthy. (Of course, much hinges here on the 'conditions' of that conditional pick, I suppose).

I think we are over cap when Tanguay returns. Unless demotions work I suspect that there is more coming.

Lang is the only one who will be taken off the cap number for LTIR. Based on the last thing I saw from dlbalr, I think we had just enough room for Schneider with Lang's LTIR. However, there is zero room for calling guys up now, even if someone is sent down, since LTIR cap space takes into account how far you are from the cap.