Bob Gainey's big time decisions

alexstream

Wow, I love Gainey and his balls. (no inuendo :P)

Like him or not, Bob Gainey has one huge set of Kohones...

It started in 200x when he said to the yellow fans to stop booing Brisebois for nothing or just stay at home.

[... biography needed]

till today where he sends S. Kost to ride the bus for a while, until he decides to look out for his feistiness.

and send Kovalev in the corner to think for a while...

:bow: Gainey and his balls

No Andre Savard of this world would ever have taken such a decision.

If it works, Kovalev comes back to heroic status, if it doesn't work, he's traded (we'd lose him anyways, and he's useless right now anyways)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand Gainey's critics. They seem to think he is to be blamed for not landing a big superstar. But he's assembled a team that was expected to compete for the Conference title and the Cup. (That it has failed to gel has nothing to do with his general managing per se; the point is he has moved us from a bottom-feeding club to a team that could reasonably attract these expectations. He cannot control what goes on in the room, nor what coaches do, nor the internal psyches of immature babies). As for the 'superstar' thing, one look at contracts like those given to Briere and Gomez, and what albatrosses those are around their teams' necks, suggests that we should be relieved rather than angry at Bob's failure/refusal to sign those deals.

Gainey is universally respected and a winner par excellence. I have no doubt that he is as disgusted as the rest of us with the team's performance. The difference is that he doesn't fly off the handle and make panic moves. We're in good hands. Thank heaven.

I don't understand Gainey's critics. They seem to think he is to be blamed for not landing a big superstar. But he's assembled a team that was expected to compete for the Conference title and the Cup. (That it has failed to gel has nothing to do with his general managing per se; the point is he has moved us from a bottom-feeding club to a team that could reasonably attract these expectations. He cannot control what goes on in the room, nor what coaches do, nor the internal psyches of immature babies). As for the 'superstar' thing, one look at contracts like those given to Briere and Gomez, and what albatrosses those are around their teams' necks, suggests that we should be relieved rather than angry at Bob's failure/refusal to sign those deals.

Gainey is universally respected and a winner par excellence. I have no doubt that he is as disgusted as the rest of us with the team's performance. The difference is that he doesn't fly off the handle and make panic moves. We're in good hands. Thank heaven.

The only decision I had a problem with during his tenure was keeping Souray for a run at 8th in 2007. That team was going

nowhere and gave up a chance at cementing the foundation for the future.

Outside of that, I have agreed with all his signings.

I saw a guy in the crowd in Vancouver with a sign that said something like "Hey Bob, Hit Me!" and an arrow to his shirt. On his shirt it said "Panic Button" This is Bob's panic button. For what ever reason Carbo doesn't sit Kovy. Bob is shaking things up. It's nice to see.

The only decision I had a problem with during his tenure was keeping Souray for a run at 8th in 2007. That team was going

Ya, that one blew me away too. You knew the team could do nothing. A prospect and a couple of picks would have been nice.

I agree - I'm not saying Gainey is infallible. That was a dumb move and I said so at the time. The Ribeiro trade was high risk, and I said so at the time. Samsonov was a bust, but that's one I didn't see coming. :rolleyes:

The goal can't be perfection - just excellence. Bob gives us that, day in and day out.

Not the same impact.

Carbo benching Kov = Kov around the team and bitching around => Avery with Dallas factor

Bob telling Kov to STAY HOME = Kov disgruntled at home and team playing its ass off. => Avery off Dallas factor

(I'm not comparing Kovalev with Avery at all, just using the Avery factor as an analogy of the effect of such decisions)

the above quote is my explanation on Gainey taking the decision to bench Kovy instead of Carbo.

The Ribs trade was brutal. Samsonov was a bust, but really, who knew.

I also hated the Huet trade, I would have kept him for how little we got and let him walk after the season.

I wish we had signed Streit early last year to an extension....

I give Gainey a 75% rating, which in my book is pretty damn good. He has made some great moves, made a few dumb moves, and a few iffy ones, but he is probably in the top 5 GM category across the league. If he was not so handicapped with free agent signings (can't get guys to come to Montreal) we might be up their with Detroit right now.

Gainey rocks! It's been pointed out that BOb continues to fail to land that big fish. However, as you may recall he had Smitty lined up to sign with us. Had Sakic not convinced Smitty to sign in Colorado, we may have signed him.

Now, rewind the clock 10 years. If someone had said to me that we had even a sniff of a chance to sign Smitty, I would have laughed uncontrollably. "In your dreams".

But, here we are and we will no doubt be there in July too. Yes it's true that BOb failed to get him and Briere but at least there was a chance. It's Gainey who has provided the stability. His defence of Breezer showed the NHL players that if you are worried about the scrutiny in Montreal - don't because BOb is on YOUR side! The fear of playing for the Habs has diminished and Gainey has brought stability. Without Gainey, I doubt this would be the case.

the above quote is my explanation on Gainey taking the decision to bench Kovy instead of Carbo.

Shouldn't Carbo do it first, though? Even if he is around the team, it gives Carbo legitimacy. Now it makes Carbo look weak and that he can't control Kovy.

Gainey rocks! It's been pointed out that BOb continues to fail to land that big fish. However, as you may recall he had Smitty lined up to sign with us. Had Sakic not convinced Smitty to sign in Colorado, we may have signed him.

Now, rewind the clock 10 years. If someone had said to me that we had even a sniff of a chance to sign Smitty, I would have laughed uncontrollably. "In your dreams".

But, here we are and we will no doubt be there in July too. Yes it's true that BOb failed to get him and Briere but at least there was a chance. It's Gainey who has provided the stability. His defence of Breezer showed the NHL players that if you are worried about the scrutiny in Montreal - don't because BOb is on YOUR side! The fear of playing for the Habs has diminished and Gainey has brought stability. Without Gainey, I doubt this would be the case.

Nobody seems to mention the fact that Gainey has incredible flexibility in an economic downturn.

All we get is whining from the media how the Free Agents are the problem.

He may be able to pick and choose through some bargains this summer.

Shouldn't Carbo do it first, though? Even if he is around the team, it gives Carbo legitimacy. Now it makes Carbo look weak and that he can't control Kovy.

I agree. The fact that it was Bob's move lends credence to the belief that Kovy may be traded... and that it's to Washington or Pittsburgh.

:popcorn:

The Ribs trade was brutal. Samsonov was a bust, but really, who knew.

I also hated the Huet trade, I would have kept him for how little we got and let him walk after the season.

I wish we had signed Streit early last year to an extension....

I give Gainey a 75% rating, which in my book is pretty damn good. He has made some great moves, made a few dumb moves, and a few iffy ones, but he is probably in the top 5 GM category across the league. If he was not so handicapped with free agent signings (can't get guys to come to Montreal) we might be up their with Detroit right now.

The Huet trade is now

Huet and a 3rd for Schneider and a conditional pick...

Huet is earning 5M riding the bench in Chicago.

The trade was a very good one. ;)

I wouldn't have signed him to a ridiculous 5M contract. HOWEVER, if you question the decision to go with two rookies and not sign anyone (even a Jocelyn Thibault) who could play NHL... then you'd be partly right... but ... Who is Marc Denis, if he's not just that... but up to now, everytime Halak falls, Price rises, and vice versa. Almost. up to now at least. yah. now, they don't. it sucks. :(

This is a great day.

We desperately needed some leadership and today we got it in a big way.

Alexstream is right, the impact of this on Kovalev is magnified a million times. Anything that Carbo could have done in respect to Kovalev just pales in comparison to having Bob Gainey tell you to stay home. If the Habs play like beasts when Kovalev isn't around then I bet he is gone.

S. Kostitsyn has a lot to think about. I hope he is mature enough to deal with this in the right way. It should serve as a wake up call to Price and Higgins too. It is great to party but when it affects the Montreal Canadiens then you have crossed a line.

Gainey is willing and able to step in.

Naaaaaa, I don't buy that. It sounds as though there was a meeting of the minds with Bob and the coaching staff and they all decided on moves that should be made. If anything Kovalev got the news from both of them in their office. This isn't Bob coming in and putting his foot down as the media is making it sound.

The Huet trade is now

Huet and a 3rd for Schneider and a conditional pick...

Huet is earning 5M riding the bench in Chicago.

The trade was a very good one. ;)

I wouldn't have signed him to a ridiculous 5M contract. HOWEVER, if you question the decision to go with two rookies and not sign anyone (even a Jocelyn Thibault) who could play NHL... then you'd be partly right... but ... Who is Marc Denis, if he's not just that... but up to now, everytime Halak falls, Price rises, and vice versa. Almost. up to now at least. yah. now, they don't. it sucks. :(

Huet is splitting duties, not riding the pine. He is also WAY ahead of price in stats...

That said, i would not have signed him for that either, my point is we should have kept him for the playoff drive. In my view, Price collapsed and the team went with him.. Huet and Price last year and we get past Philly... maybe even to the finals...

We were hot last year, and if this year proves anything, its when you are hot.. go for it... instead, we gambled. Remember all that crap about sacrificing last year to get Price experience, for this year??? Well, we might not even make the playoffs this year. We wasted last year, imo

Its funny how Chicago doesn't mind paying for Huet and Bulin.. since they know they will need a hot goalie to go far in the west, and they are doubling their chances. Shame, I would love to get Bulin out of Chicago to stabilize our goalie situation and take the pressure off Price. I do believe Price is our future.. just think we are rushing him.

This is a great day.

We desperately needed some leadership and today we got it in a big way.

Alexstream is right, the impact of this on Kovalev is magnified a million times. Anything that Carbo could have done in respect to Kovalev just pales in comparison to having Bob Gainey tell you to stay home. If the Habs play like beasts when Kovalev isn't around then I bet he is gone.

S. Kostitsyn has a lot to think about. I hope he is mature enough to deal with this in the right way. It should serve as a wake up call to Price and Higgins too. It is great to party but when it affects the Montreal Canadiens then you have crossed a line.

Gainey is willing and able to step in.

Agree 100%..

AC, I always enjoy reading your posts! They always have some thought and effort put into them. Could not agree more, Bob Gainey has brought credibility and a professional atmosphere back to Habland.

Huet is splitting duties, not riding the pine. He is also WAY ahead of price in stats...

Is Clemmensen better than Huet? Ty Conklin? Jonas Hiller?

Stats are not an indication of greatness, no position in sports is more reliant on your team than goaltending.

Compare goaltenders in conditions with the same variables, outside of that it is irrelevant.

Edited by Wamsley01

You know, I forgot about the Huet deal in my little instant evaluation of Gainey. I disagreed with that move, too, for the reasons others have stated. The one way I can justify it is on the grounds that Carbo had shown that he would always go with the experienced Huet in the crunch, and that, therefore, the only way to give Price that crucial playoff experience was to move Huet. I can respect that logic - just as I can respect the logic that says it was better to lose Huet for a pick than lose him for nothing as a UFA - but Huet could have made a real difference against Philly. Oh, well, Bob is still The Man.