The Habs are trying to trade Kovy for 2 weeks now.

KoZed

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Habs are trying to trade Kovy for 2 weeks now. 3 player agents confirmed.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hockey/20...ux-semaines.php

So much for the "Gainey's doing what Carbo can't" by asking Kovy to stay home.

Bob didn't deny that a trade could happen.

but he said (in the other article from yesterday from cyberpresse, maybe from M. Brunet?) that he sat with Kovy, looked him in the eyes and saw fatigue. that at the end, they both agreed it was better if Kov would take a rest... etc

AND

that the team was better without him right now

Don't even know what to think anymore....

He brought people to their feet and made watching the Montreal Canadiens truly enjoyable

....the team is going through a rough season and everybody points at Kovalev

I hope the Canadiens do trade him...only to a team that goes on to win the stanley cup...I would never be happier for Kovy...I just wish it was with the Habs :(

Gainey directly said he had not been trying to trade him, only that it was trading season and people could call him about anyone.

That said, I am sure he is open to offers. Kovalev would be actually be a good pickup for a team. He would probably play great for the rest of the year as a rental.. just don't sign him to an extension. :)

What will the Habs get in return for Kovalev ? Maybe a couple draft picks??? I don't think it is the right time to trade Kovey. What Montreal needs is a big centre with some goal scoring ability. With Lang gone for season Everyone is looking at Vinny or maybe Jokinen. That would be nice to see those guys in the lineup but.... at 6.8 mill and 5.2 mill. too much money imo. A couple players I think would be a good fit are Jason Arnott 4.5 million and mark Recchi 1.25 million. Two Vets with 33 goals between them, 25 goals at even strength. With Tanguay due back back soon My line up would be

Tanguay Koivu Higgins

A.Kost, Arnott, Kovalev

Recchi, Lapierre, Latendrese

begin,chipchura,laraque

Bye Bye Plekanec (too small),S Kost(too cute), Kostopoulos (no hands)

Carbo leave the lines alone need to build chemistry

I had a thought last night.

Gainey knew that there was a lot of rumors swirling around the team about the players' partying and wanted to handle that in some form. By telling Kovalev to stay home, publically, he's created a whole new story out of Montreal that everyone's talking about.

More or less, everyone has forgotten about the whole party deal because we're all so concerned with Kovy because it is simply a bigger story. Either way, I think Gainey is genius and has managed to totally throw a blanket over some of the stories he's a) tired of hearing and b) not wanting to hear (i.e. the team's slump & party players).

I really didn't know where to put this, so I put it here.

It does not surprise me that he has been shopping Kovalev. It became quite clear in recent weeks, judging by Kovy's play, that he was not a player Gainey was going to keep on next season. Gainey has shown in the past that he is willing to move players he does not plan on re-signing to keep the prospect cupboards full (e.g. Rivet, Huet).

I had a thought last night.

Gainey knew that there was a lot of rumors swirling around the team about the players' partying and wanted to handle that in some form. By telling Kovalev to stay home, publically, he's created a whole new story out of Montreal that everyone's talking about.

More or less, everyone has forgotten about the whole party deal because we're all so concerned with Kovy because it is simply a bigger story. Either way, I think Gainey is genius and has managed to totally throw a blanket over some of the stories he's a) tired of hearing and b) not wanting to hear (i.e. the team's slump & party players).

I really didn't know where to put this, so I put it here.

It does not surprise me that he has been shopping Kovalev. It became quite clear in recent weeks, judging by Kovy's play, that he was not a player Gainey was going to keep on next season. Gainey has shown in the past that he is willing to move players he does not plan on re-signing to keep the prospect cupboards full (e.g. Rivet, Huet).

Which GM/Coach used to do that? Create stories around himself during the playoffs to take the heat so that Media would leave his players alone?

A non-playoff team wouldn't be interested in an unsigned Kovy. They would only want prospects, pics or young players. I don't think Gainey would trade Kovy to a playoff team for pics or prospects because with the Schneider trade, he's made it loud and clear he is still serious about contending. We would need something in return that would help us in our run. Basically, a sideways move.

Bob didn't deny that a trade could happen.

but he said (in the other article from yesterday from cyberpresse, maybe from M. Brunet?) that he sat with Kovy, looked him in the eyes and saw fatigue. that at the end, they both agreed it was better if Kov would take a rest... etc

AND

that the team was better without him right now

Translation: Alex you stay home whether you like it or not.

What will the Habs get in return for Kovalev ? Maybe a couple draft picks??? I don't think it is the right time to trade Kovey.

Bye Bye Plekanec (too small),S Kost(too cute), Kostopoulos (no hands)

Carbo leave the lines alone need to build chemistry

IT IS time to trade. It'll be too late in 2 weeks. As for the Return, expect Gainey to get back the 2 draft picks he gave for schneider...but not much.

As for kostopoulos: what did you expect him to be ?? no hands !!?? He's not here for his scoring touch but for his huge heart, his grit. I'd be heart broken if we lose him at the end of the season. the more consistant players on this team have been him and Lapierre.

I'd expect Kovy to bring in a 1st round pick from a team desperate for his level of talent. A team that believes they can turn his game around. A team who suffered a recent injury. A team with Mikey Ribs maybe? :P

If Kovalev does go, I expect the Habs to take back some salary. I also expect them to try and replace him with a player who can buy into the way Carbonneau believes the team should be playing. Of course, if Gainey's really good, he can do this all in one deal. However, it would likely take two seperate deal.

Still, I'm not certain we'll trade Kovy at all. Of course, that depends soley on Kovy's willingness to prove to Montreal that he should remain a Montreal Canadian and that he's here to play.

I'd expect Kovy to bring in a 1st round pick from a team desperate for his level of talent.

Really? By telling him to stay at Home, Bob is basically announcing to all the other GM's in the league that we are having problems with Kovy, thus reducing his value that much more.

Let's not forget that the Habs got Kovy for a 2nd round pick and Josef Balej...it was a "steal" at the time, but now I think we understand more where Glen Sather was coming from at the time of the trade!

Really? By telling him to stay at Home, Bob is basically announcing to all the other GM's in the league that we are having problems with Kovy, thus reducing his value that much more.

Let's not forget that the Habs got Kovy for a 2nd round pick and Josef Balej...it was a "steal" at the time, but now I think we understand more where Glen Sather was coming from at the time of the trade!

Sorry mahn, but you gotta quote my whole line for it to make sense, lol. I should have added the [sarcasm][/sarcasm] code, but figured a ':P' would suffice.

Still, Gainey's a tricky guy and I wouldn't put it past him to make a deal that surprises everyone. I mean, he did get a 1st AND Gorges for Rivet.

true, but Rivet's reputation across the league was alot better than Kovy's!!

For sure, but if Gainey can get half of what he received in return for Rivet, I think that's pretty solid. ;)

Let's not forget that Bust Balej was considered our best prospect by Sather at that time.

He had the choice between him, Plekanec, Marcel Hooooossa, etc.

For sure, but if Gainey can get half of what he received in return for Rivet, I think that's pretty solid. ;)

anything over a 2nd rounder and I'm happy.

Most definitely! I'm just not sure he'll be able to get much more than a 2nd rounder for Kovy!

The Fan 590 just got through an interesting conversation about Kovy. Whoever they called in (didn't catch the name, not Wilson) thinks Kovy may have played his last game in the uniform if Habs turn things round tonight. Not sure how much stock people take in Kypreos around here, but he says he knows a team who is pursuing Kovy (let's see what he says after the break).

EDIT: He says Columbus wants Kovy. He theorizes a likely scenario is that in the age of the cap, Montreal might dump him somewhere for nothing, but essentially freeing up some cap room. Than, using that cap room, taking another big player for nothing in a similar situation (the example he gives is Jokinen).

Edited by ForumGhost

The Fan 590 just got through an interesting conversation about Kovy. Whoever they called in (didn't catch the name, not Wilson) thinks Kovy may have played his last game in the uniform if Habs turn things round tonight. Not sure how much stock people take in Kypreos around here, but he says he knows a team who is pursuing Kovy (let's see what he says after the break).

EDIT: He says Columbus wants Kovy. He theorizes a likely scenario is that in the age of the cap, Montreal might dump him somewhere for nothing, but essentially freeing up some cap room. Than, using that cap room, taking another big player for nothing in a similar situation (the example he gives is Jokinen).

Great !! trade us Brassard and we'll call it even !!! :lol:

Hmm, Jackets bloggers are having their chat right now, I'll try to see if they've heard anything. If the Jackets go after Kovalev after running Zherdev out of town, I'll lose any remaining faith I have in Hitch and Howson.

Edit: Aaron Portzline, a Jackets blogger, hasn't heard Kovalev's name at all in Columbus.

Am I the only one that thinks Kovalev will be back after his 2 game break? As much as I hate his constant cough up the puck play, he is a habs and deserves a shot at redemption. He deserves to play out his contract.

Trading Kovalev for a pick when in a playoff race seems remote to me. But then again who would of thought Huet would have been traded just before the playoffs.????