Habs claim Metropolit

nhfarber

Does Chips have to pass through waivers?

No.

As for Chips being poor on faceoffs, faceoffs is a learned skill, and you get better at it as you get older. Being bad at faceoffs at 23 is normal. The best faceoff men in the game are grizzled veterans. Look at Pittsburgh, they're terrible at faceoffs and their top 3 centres are all 23 or younger. Given time, Chips could be a good faceoff man. It's just not a skill that young players are prodigies at, which is what people seem to expect from Chips for some odd reason.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No.

As for Chips being poor on faceoffs, faceoffs is a learned skill, and you get better at it as you get older. Being bad at faceoffs at 23 is normal. The best faceoff men in the game are grizzled veterans. Look at Pittsburgh, they're terrible at faceoffs and their top 3 centres are all 23 or younger. Given time, Chips could be a good faceoff man. It's just not a skill that young players are prodigies at, which is what people seem to expect from Chips for some odd reason.

It's all about World Juniors. I've seen it before. Player looks great in juniors and can't get it done in the big show.

HELLO GUYS!

METROPOLIT IS A FREE INSURANCE POLICY

CALM THE $#@??$% DOWN.

Lol, I read a dozen of posts of people panicking.

1. Begin was on the bench, so Bob wanted to ACCOMODATE him. that's a pure empathy move.

2. Metropolit was on waivers and after Chipper we've got NOTHING at centre.

so don't go into thinking that he's gonna play with Kovalev and what not. or that he's "THE" solution.. Take your pills, take a deep breath and understand that he is A FREE INSURANCE POLICY.

and that he's actually better than Chipper right now (that's my bet)

I think what people worry about is that Gaineu is taking on salary when most people thought he was dumping. Our trading prospects at the deadline just got thinner.

I see this as a possible plan D move if Wednesday turns out to be a trade day failure for a plan A or B. As a matter of fact, it wouldn't shock me at all if we re-waived him in the event that we made a strong Wednesday move. Had BOb not grabbed him off of waivers right away, someone would have.

So, instead of being shut out of plans A, B and C with possibly no plan D solution we just shored that up in advance.

Finally, Begin being traded was due to his unhappiness with playing time. BOb didn't dump Begin in order to get Metropolit. The 2 moves are not in any way connected.

I recall Metropolit being a solid player with Boston. The only problem I have with this move is that he's signed for next year too.

It's only for 1 million - that's not overly expensive for a player who should be a regular next year too.

I see this as a possible plan D move if Wednesday turns out to be a trade day failure for a plan A or B. As a matter of fact, it wouldn't shock me at all if we re-waived him in the event that we made a strong Wednesday move. Had BOb not grabbed him off of waivers right away, someone would have.

So, instead of being shut out of plans A, B and C with possibly no plan D solution we just shored that up in advance.

Finally, Begin being traded was due to his unhappiness with playing time. BOb didn't dump Begin in order to get Metropolit. The 2 moves are not in any way connected.

sounds good.

It's simply a 4th line move. I think i called that one earlier today on the trade post. I don't think GC has any faith in Chipchura to win big faceoffs. The habs simply need another defensive centre who can win draws when the game is on the line.

There aren't too many people i trust in the last minute, he is a guy who has done it throughout his carreer.

HELLO GUYS!

METROPOLIT IS A FREE INSURANCE POLICY

CALM THE $#@??$% DOWN.

and that he's actually better than Chipper right now (that's my bet)

he's this year's Jim Dowd !!

This is bizarre. This seems like a sideways deal for Begin. He is 50% in faceoffs. Not great. Not bad either I guess.

We didn't want to get rid of Begin, Gainey just did him a favour. Metropolit is a replacement (probably a slightly better player/fit) and we now have Janik in case our D gets hit with a few injuries. *shrug* We claimed a guy off waivers, it isn't going to be a major deal. I wonder if this means we'll no longer be trying to add a guy like Reinprecht.

It's simply a 4th line move. I think i called that one earlier today on the trade post. I don't think GC has any faith in Chipchura to win big faceoffs. The habs simply need another defensive centre who can win draws when the game is on the line.

There aren't too many people i trust in the last minute, he is a guy who has done it throughout his carreer.

Just a question, but why would we ever sent out our 4th line for a key faceoff anyways? We really want Stewart and Dandy/Laraque with Chips/Metro as the guys on the ice in a key situation? Players on the 4th line are generally the worst players on the team... and you don't send your worst players out for key situations.

Just a question, but why would we ever sent out our 4th line for a key faceoff anyways? We really want Stewart and Dandy/Laraque with Chips/Metro as the guys on the ice in a key situation? Players on the 4th line are generally the worst players on the team... and you don't send your worst players out for key situations.

I imagine in such a situation - if you have a generally mediocre player who can take faceoffs - you put him out for the faceoffs with different linemates.

or you put him on the wing instead of kostitsyn as insurance against your main center being kicked out of the faceoff circle.

Maybe Metropolit goes back on waivers tomorrow once he tells us everything he knows about Philly! :lol:

With the game in Philly, I wonder if he'll play tonight. Probably not.

This seems so obvious to me.. Begin was unhappy and knew he would be riding the pine. He was not going to resign here, so Bob let him go. Then Bob picks up a similar guy, with similar money, BUT signed for another year. Now he has his press box depth guy who has no choice but to accept the role. It would be hard to sign a UFA for this role unless no other team wanted him to play.

As for Chips, he should learn to outplay Begin/Metro, or there are not many options in the NHL where he will get on the ice any more often.

With the game in Philly, I wonder if he'll play tonight. Probably not.

I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Guy Carbonneau a déclaré qu'il ne savait pas encore s'il affrontera son ancienne équipe vendredi soir, mais que si ce devait être le cas, c'est Kyle Chipchura qui serait laissé de côté.

Either way, I think Chipchura is sent down after the game (he stays up in case Metro can't go).

I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Guy Carbonneau a déclaré qu'il ne savait pas encore s'il affrontera son ancienne équipe vendredi soir, mais que si ce devait être le cas, c'est Kyle Chipchura qui serait laissé de côté.

Either way, I think Chipchura is sent down after the game (he stays up in case Metro can't go).

It's also important to remember that Hamilton needs forwards as well, so getting Metro allows Chips to help out Hamilton in their playoff quest. If there's another injury at centre, of course Kyle will be brought back up, but the main reason we got Metro was not because Chipchura sucks, it was because we needed another healthy centre. We were set at wing in case injuries struck (Sergei is in the minors and one of Dandy/Stewart/Laraque sits every night, plus Tanguay and Latendresse will be healthy before the playoffs), but not terribly strong at D or C (O'Byrne was our next callup, then Henry or Weber; at C it was Maxwell). Now, Bob has tweaked the roster to improve those spots with Janik and Metro.

It's pretty logical.

I'm not shocked by this at all. I always liked what I have seen of Metropolit. He's definitely an underated player who is morte than a career 4th line guy. Dont forget that he did replace Burgeron in Bruins lineup. Look at most of the teams he's been on, they sucked up until recently.

Sure he is no super star but the Habs team has just been improved with this pickup, and for nothing. Its a win win situation. With Metroploit signed for next year for 1 mil that will save Bob some money for resigning UFA's next year.

The fact Metroplit shoots R is huge. Most of the Habs shoot L, so half the team is always shooting from the wrong side. With Metroplit they might be able to have a 1 timer like threat from both sides when he's on the ice. :clap:

I'm not shocked by this at all. I always liked what I have seen of Metropolit. He's definitely an underated player who is morte than a career 4th line guy. Dont forget that he did replace Burgeron in Bruins lineup. Look at most of the teams he's been on, they sucked up until recently.

Sure he is no super star but the Habs team has just been improved with this pickup, and for nothing. Its a win win situation. With Metroploit signed for next year for 1 mil that will save Bob some money for resigning UFA's next year.

The fact Metroplit shoots R is huge. Most of the Habs shoot L, so half the team is always shooting from the wrong side. With Metroplit they might be able to have a 1 timer like threat from both sides when he's on the ice. :clap:

He also filled in for Briere when he first got injured. I think he's a good depth guy to have, but I hope this wasn't all Bob had in mind.

Gainey said he'd try to get a C that could alleviate the loss of Lang. He gets Metropolit -- who is a right-handed C like Lang -- for nothing.

Should give Chipchura a much-needed reality-check. It's time he starts making some noise, there's another C who can take his place.

Bob is absolutely getting hammered on french language message boards. The popular opinion is he basically traded a francophone (Begin) for an anglophone (Metropolit). C'mon Bob, prove everyone wrong!!!

Bob is absolutely getting hammered on french language message boards. The popular opinion is he basically traded a francophone (Begin) for an anglophone (Metropolit). C'mon Bob, prove everyone wrong!!!

OMG... even the dofus on CKAC didn't go that far.

guys like Villeneuve and Jean Claude admitted that Begin, said it was a good move from Gainey to give a new "Begin-ing" (haha tsn) to Begin, said kudos that we got a depth dman (expected we'd get nothign) and that Metropolit wouldn't hurt us, particularly if he was acquired for nothing.

OMG... even the dofus on CKAC didn't go that far.

guys like Villeneuve and Jean Claude admitted that Begin, said it was a good move from Gainey to give a new "Begin-ing" (haha tsn) to Begin, said kudos that we got a depth dman (expected we'd get nothign) and that Metropolit wouldn't hurt us, particularly if he was acquired for nothing.

Oh ya?? Maybe there's some hope for our local media.