Habs claim Metropolit

nhfarber

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But why?!

Begin traded and then Glen Metropolit claimed? It's been a while since I disagreed this much. Must have been the Van Allen trade...

Was Begin left handed? That would be a hockey reason why.

Did Begin ask to be traded somewhere that he could play? That would a personal reason why.

I'm not sure what there is to disagree about these moves. Gainey was looking for a right handed centreman and he found one for free.

But why?!

Begin traded and then Glen Metropolit claimed? It's been a while since I disagreed this much. Must have been the Van Allen trade...

guys read RDS... oh, right, you can't read french :lol:

Begin asked to be traded because Carbo was not using him. He wanted to prove that he was still a worthy NHLer, and he knew it had to be done elsewhere than in montreal.

-Rationale being Kosto and G. Stewart pushed Beginout of the lineup, Begin was mostly used as a Winger, totally inefficient when used as a center (too much for him, can't play "his game" which makes him a good player)

Gainey would surely have kept on that way till the deadline, and if he got nothing at the deadline, well, so be it? or maybe trade for an insurance policy. Anyhow... shit happens... and today, it was "good shit" through waivers actually. A right handed center, with some experience, who's been good in games vs the habs (carbo and gainey attested that) and who IS a center (unlike Begin who "can" play center when the team is in trouble)

An insurance policy.

and actually, you can't blame Gainey. Metropolit didn't deliver Begin's hits... but he was in every way better.

-faster, better moves, better with the puck, better without the puck, better with "not taking dumb penalties"... etc.

p.s. I still love Begin.

guys read RDS... oh, right, you can't read french :lol:

Begin asked to be traded because Carbo was not using him. He wanted to prove that he was still a worthy NHLer, and he knew it had to be done elsewhere than in montreal.

-Rationale being Kosto and G. Stewart pushed Beginout of the lineup, Begin was mostly used as a Winger, totally inefficient when used as a centre (too much for him, can't play "his game" which makes him a good player)

Gainey would surely have kept on that way till the deadline, and if he got nothing at the deadline, well, so be it? or maybe trade for an insurance policy. Anyhow... shit happens... and today, it was "good shit" through waivers actually. A right handed centre, with some experience, who's been good in games vs the habs (carbo and gainey attested that) and who IS a centre (unlike Begin who "can" play centre when the team is in trouble)

An insurance policy.

and actually, you can't blame Gainey. Metropolit didn't deliver Begin's hits... but he was in every way better.

-faster, better moves, better with the puck, better without the puck, better with "not taking dumb penalties"... etc.

p.s. I still love Begin.

Thanks for the synopsis, but it hasnt actually been a secret in the English press that Gainey traded Begin because SB wanted a chance to play elsewhere. A typically classy move by Bob and a typically irrational reaction by our increasingly irrational fanbase. :wacko:

It's a bit surreal that these completely minor moves generate so much commentary. ^_^ That's les canadiens for you.

Rightly or wrongly, Begin was not in the coach's plans. So it was only the decent thing to do. Now Bob's added a comparable player - veteran depth at C - so the team is no further behind, and we'll see where Mr. M fits into Carbo's game plan.

My only concern in losing Begin was that we lost one of those depth guys who typically raises his game and offers crucial leadership in the playoffs. (c.f. Smolinski & Brisebois last year). Bob's compensated for the loss. The end.

HELLO GUYS!

METROPOLIT IS A FREE INSURANCE POLICY

CALM THE $#@??$% DOWN.

Lol, I read a dozen of posts of people panicking.

1. Begin was on the bench, so Bob wanted to ACCOMODATE him. that's a pure empathy move.

2. Metropolit was on waivers and after Chipper we've got NOTHING at centre.

so don't go into thinking that he's gonna play with Kovalev and what not. or that he's "THE" solution.. Take your pills, take a deep breath and understand that he is A FREE INSURANCE POLICY.

and that he's actually better than Chipper right now (that's my bet)

Nailed it!!!

It's a bit surreal that these completely minor moves generate so much commentary. ^_^ That's les canadiens for you.

Rightly or wrongly, Begin was not in the coach's plans. So it was only the decent thing to do. Now Bob's added a comparable player - veteran depth at C - so the team is no further behind, and we'll see where Mr. M fits into Carbo's game plan.

My only concern in losing Begin was that we lost one of those depth guys who typically raises his game and offers crucial leadership in the playoffs. (c.f. Smolinski & Brisebois last year). Bob's compensated for the loss. The end.

You know, I agree Begin brought his game up... work ethic on the ice. I agree with in fact alot of what you've written. Although, my only thing with Steve was his undisciplined play. I enjoyed watching the guy play... but he was DIRTY, and finding ways at getting penalties at the most inopportune times. I liked the player and it could have been so much different but I'll have to agree with Carbo's decision not to play him.

If watching last nights game is any indication Bob has MORE than compensated for Begin's loss. METROPOLIT is a fire-cracker. He never stopped skating!!! woohoo!!! of course time will only tell.

I like Begin, but Metro is a more versitile player with more upside come playoff time....But, I don't think we'll see the kind of game Metro put up last night against his Philly every night...

Gainey should be more concerned with the defense at this stage...While the offense is struggling, the habs get Tangay back soon and that should help...

Hammer and Komi turned it over in the neutral zone multiple times last night... Breezer gave one up on the PP and almost gave up another after getting completely undressed...Schneider is a nice addition on PP, but too SMALL!

If he can nail down a long-term contract, Bob should go get Boumeister [almost] at any cost!