Halak & Price

KoZed

Dunno, but i would have play Price tonight for several reasons :

1. Main one : Get him back on track with a real test. He would have to deliver, might increase his confidence.

2. If Price get destroyed (we play the Sharks...), well Halak still on a roll.

3. 2 games in 2 nights with a Philly-Montreal night travel.

I still convinced that Price would have performed as the #1 he still is in my mind.

^_^

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything in his post is true...

Not the part where he says "I still convinced that Price would have performed as the #1 he still is in my mind."

If Price had played tonight, I'm 90% sure it would have been a loss. And there's no way he's still the number one at this point. It's a platoon at best, and a few more games like this and Price will officially be the backup.

Not the part where he says "I still convinced that Price would have performed as the #1 he still is in my mind."

If Price had played tonight, I'm 90% sure it would have been a loss. And there's no way he's still the number one at this point. It's a platoon at best, and a few more games like this and Price will officially be the backup.

I'm 90% sure Halak can't keep this up, and when he slips Price will be #1 again. Sure everything that's going on is great but let's be realistic. We don't need to create a bandwagon here. Let's just be happy and hope Carey can match this type of play when it will be his moment, we are going to need both of them at their best.

Edited by HABBER-oooooKNOWS

Except point 1, 2 and 3.

Much bigger boost winning tonight with a red-hot Halak that gives players even more confidence in him...

How are any of those points wrong? They're three good reasons for playing Price.

Maybe we would have lost, we can't be sure if Price is out of his slump or not. I still consider him the starter. Halak is going to keep on playing until he loses but the ultimate goal is to have Price back in net. Jaro will need to keep this going until the end of the season to start truly stealing a job away from Price.

I'm 90% sure Halak can't keep this up, and when he slips Price will be #1 again. Sure everything that's going on is great but let's be realistic. We don't need to create a bandwagon here. Let's just be happy and hope Carey can match this type of play when it will be his moment, we are going to need both of them at their best.

I didn't have an emotional attachment to either of these guys...didn't care which of them I saw in the net on any given night, as long as they played well...up until a couple of weeks ago.

However, with the recent revelations about Price's excessive partying and pictures of him with a smoke hanging out of his mouth, I now find myself rooting for Halak. That being said, if Price gets back in there and plays lights-out, I certainly won't be disappointed.

Why does everyone have to denigrate Price when Halak plays well? Would'nt be better if both goalies play well?

It's the bandwagon effect.

Similarly, there were a lot of people on these forums in the fall, suggesting that Price was the future of the franchise, and Bob should trade Halak. I was crossing my fingers that he wouldn't, as a pair of good young goalies is a much safer bet than betting the farm on a single one.

And at this point, with Halak dragging us out of the slump, I sure am happy with Bob's decision. :clap::clap::clap:

Edited by tomh009

Maybe we would have lost, we can't be sure if Price is out of his slump or not. I still consider him the starter. Halak is going to keep on playing until he loses but the ultimate goal is to have Price back in net. Jaro will need to keep this going until the end of the season to start truly stealing a job away from Price.

The ultimate goal is to win games, regardless of who's between the pipes. Standings are too tight to get a loss just to test wither or not Price is out of his slump. There's no freebies game at this point. We need all the points we can get. Price got his chance, he blew it. Cant gamble the playoffs just to see if he's ready to go or not.

Similarly, there were a lot of people on these forums in the fall, suggesting that Price was the future of the franchise, and Bob should trade Halak.

How about the people last season who were trying to compare Price to Roy? They really aggravated me.

How about the people last season who were trying to compare Price to Roy? They really aggravated me.

Yeah, he's not Roy, or Dryden, or Plante. At least not yet. He's young, and he's got talent, but he hasn't yet proven himself to be a star. If we're lucky, we might see him begin to shine in the playoffs, or else next season, but in the meantime Halak's no chump, either.

Glad I'm not the only one on that one now. Hop on! :P

Kidding aside, I think lot of people's perspective about the goalie situation (Wouldnt be the Habs without a goalie controversy) is that Price was heralded as the franchise's one and only franchise player. While Price was getting all the spotlight, Halak developed as prime goaltending prospect too. He was dominant in the AHL when he was there, he won us games down the stretch 2 years ago. On a lot of other teams, Halak would be a #1 already, and a good one. With all the hype and hope surrounding Price, lot of people forgot that the actual difference in performances and track record wasnt that big.

What credentials does Price has? WJC gold medal and AHL playoffs MVP. That's cool. Sadly, Halak is Slovakian and never had a good team in front of him at the WJC, and was never on a Bulldogs team that made the playoffs (not his fault either)... The only year he was on a good Bulldogs team is the year he was sent to the WC and Price carried the team to the Cup.

So the whole "we need to get Price back on the saddle" theory? To me it's bull. Price isnt a savior. Halak isnt so far behind Price that we need to be desperate for Carey to regain his mojo. Halak's a 23 yrs old goalie with a proven track record of being able to steal wins for weak teams. He's got good #1 potential. He's not a fluke. What we've seen of him in the past 4 games; I've seen him do in juniors with Lewiston, and he's done the same in the ECHL, and in the AHL. I've been screaming that off the top of my lungs for 3 seasons now. About damn time Jaro gets a real chance to prove himself, that he's rewarded with starts because he won, not because Price/Huet is injured.

And you know, with all the crap that happened lately with players' attitude being questionned on and off the ice, best medecine the Habs could get right now is to owe their wins to a small, focused, serious, scrappy & humble 271th pick overall goalie who was never handed anything on a silverplate. It's harder to give up on some games with that kind of goalie. If you can read between the lines you'll catch my drift.

Similarly, there were a lot of people on these forums in the fall, suggesting that Price was the future of the franchise, and Bob should trade Halak. I was crossing my fingers that he wouldn't, as a pair of good young goalies is a much safer bet than betting the farm on a single one.

And at this point, with Halak dragging us out of the slump, I sure am happy with Bob's decision. :clap::clap::clap:

I've always thought Halak was better than Price

I've always thought Halak was better than Price

Halak is playing better than Price right now. I don't know if I would say he is better than Price (cut and dry) Price was one of the best goalies in the league before he was injured. That's it. When Halak has a bad game or looks unsteady, Price will play. I think you will see more of a mix like Hackett and Theo in the past. Even though Hackett was a vet. We have two goaltenders with great upside and the downside of inexperience. I am thanking god for Jaro the Hero right now, and I hope Carbo continues to play him. The points are just too valuable right now. Especially when we are getting outplayed most games, and we are only winning on Jaro's back.

BTW: WTF is up with Komi and Hammer! These two have frustrated me a lot in the last few months. Koivu looked good again tonight IMO.

Glad I'm not the only one on that one now. Hop on! :P

Kidding aside, I think lot of people's perspective about the goalie situation (Wouldnt be the Habs without a goalie controversy) is that Price was heralded as the franchise's one and only franchise player. While Price was getting all the spotlight, people sort of forgot that Halak developped as prime goaltending prospect too. He was dominant in the AHL when he was there, he won us games down the stretch 2 years ago. On a lot of other teams, Halak would be a #1 already, and a good one.

With all the hype and hope surrounding Price, lot of people forgot that the difference in hype between Price & Halak was much bigger than the actual difference in performances and track record. What credentials does Price has? WJC gold medal and AHL playoffs MVP. That's cool. Sadly, Halak is Slovakian and never had a good team in front of him at the WJC, and was never on a Bulldogs team that made the playoffs (not his fault either)... The only year he was on a good Bulldogs team is the year he was sent to the WC and Price carried the team to the Cup.

So the whole "we need to get Price back on the saddle" theory? To me it's bull. Price isnt a savior. Halak isnt so far behind Price that we need to be desperate for Carey to regain his mojo. Halak's a 23 yrs old goalie with a proven track record of being able to steal wins for weak teams. He's got good #1 potential. He's not a fluke. What we've seen of him in the past 4 games; I've seen him do in juniors with Lewiston, and he's done the same in the ECHL, and in the AHL. I've been screaming that off the top of my lungs for 3 seasons now. About damn time Jaro gets a real chance to prove himself, that he's rewarded with starts because he won, not because Price/Huet is injured.

And you know, with all the crap that happened lately with players' attitude being questionned on and off the ice, best medecine the Habs could get right now is to owe their wins to a small, focused, serious, scrappy & humble 271th pick overall goalie who was never handed anything on a silverplate. It's harder to give up on some games with that kind of goalie. If you can read between the lines you'll catch my drift.

It's funny how Halak has been finally given a situation where he can shine and make a name for himself. I'm sure we all thought that it was Price that was going to show up in this fashion and make a statement. In another thread you summarized Halak's career briefly, while I was aware of all, you put it into a couple of paragraphs and you were bang on as far as comparing his development to where he is now and winning games. I hope he takes us on a run through the play-offs. The team needs to start playing around him which seems to be happening in baby steps. I was always a big supporter of Jaro and I have started threads about him being a diamond in the rough, under another name that got suspended for life,-(that's a whole other can of worms) but quickly died when Walmsley would come on and bring paragraphs and paragraphs of stats defending Price. I couldn't deal.

I love Price but Halak has always been my man. Like you Kozed I have a thing for underdogs. This is just the beginning though. Maybe Price comes in and gets 10 shut-outs in a row to shut us all up........... you never can tell, but somehow I doubt it because Price never see's or knows where the puck is. It either hits him or it doesn't.

Bottom line, This is life and Jaro is having a defining moment..............glad to be a part of it, He's been fun to watch that last few games.

How are any of those points wrong? They're three good reasons for playing Price.

No, I strongly disagree with #2. Halak is on a hot streak. If you sit him, then its no longer a streak and who knows if he will still be hot when put back in. Like the old expression says: if it aint broke, dont fix it. Why mess with a good thing?

Halak has played superbly so why reward that by benching him? Makes no sense and sends the wrong message, yet again.

This is the 2nd time Halak has bailed out a sinking ship and kept the Habs afloat. Last time he was rewarded with being benched in the last game of the season and the Habs barely missed the playoffs that year. Halak should have played that last game. If they keep benching Halak for his strong play the Habs might soon find themselves with 0 young top goalies if Price never recovers because Halak will eventually end up refusing to play for them if repeatedly treated like crap.

No, I strongly disagree with #2. Halak is on a hot streak. If you sit him, then its no longer a streak and who knows if he will still be hot when put back in. Like the old expression says: if it aint broke, dont fix it. Why mess with a good thing?

Halak has played superbly so why reward that by benching him? Makes no sense and sends the wrong message, yet again.

I agree ... Halak should effectively be playing as the #1 for now. When he needs rest, or goes cold, Price will get a chance to show that he has his game together again. And if he does, that's when you make the change.

The ultimate goal is to win games, regardless of who's between the pipes. Standings are too tight to get a loss just to test wither or not Price is out of his slump. There's no freebies game at this point. We need all the points we can get. Price got his chance, he blew it. Cant gamble the playoffs just to see if he's ready to go or not.

It's beside the point because all Joe did ws make a case for playing Price, with good reasons, he didn't say we'd lose with Halak. (Sir_Boagalott, giving the other goalie a game off when you play twice on consecutive nights isn't a "benching." Halak would go on to play the next game.)

But our goal is definitely to get Price back in net. Halak's had a great 4 games but it's very unlikely that he manages to hold this for long. Our chances in the playoffs with Halak making 40+ stops a night are nonexistent. Like I said, Halak will have to keep this up for the rest of the season before we can just hand him the permanent #1 job.

It's beside the point because all Joe did ws make a case for playing Price, with good reasons, he didn't say we'd lose with Halak. (Sir_Boagalott, giving the other goalie a game off when you play twice on consecutive nights isn't a "benching." Halak would go on to play the next game.)

But our goal is definitely to get Price back in net. Halak's had a great 4 games but it's very unlikely that he manages to hold this for long. Our chances in the playoffs with Halak making 40+ stops a night are nonexistent. Like I said, Halak will have to keep this up for the rest of the season before we can just hand him the permanent #1 job.

I agree with your post but Halak should be given the opportunity to keep it up. You never know just how far he can actually go.

I agree with your post but Halak should be given the opportunity to keep it up. You never know just how far he can actually go.

Yeah, he should, and he is being given the chance. He's going to keep on playing until he loses, has a bad game, or we play two games in a row again. I just can't see him being The Guy that leads us in the playoffs which means that this is just artificial team success because we're going to wind up having to do it with Price in the end.

Besides, Halak will probably become a pretty good NHL starter but Price's potential is undeniably higher: he can become a franchise goaltender and possibly the best goalie in the league in up to five years. We chose Price with the 5th pick because Timmins thought he was the final player remaining with the potential to become a franchise player. Had we wanted a team full of solid players with no real leader (as we have now), we'd have drafted Kopitar, Brule, Staal or Bourdon. But we went for the home run and Price is the one piece in our organization that can ensure that we remain a good team for the next decade or more. Our highest priority should be ensuring that Price hits his potential.

But yeah, right now, we need to run with Halak. I'm not saying that we should play him even when he's being outplayed by his back up. But our long-term goal needs to be to have Price at his best. Anything Halak can provide us is just a bonus and kudos to him. :clap:

It's funny how Halak has been finally given a situation where he can shine and make a name for himself. I'm sure we all thought that it was Price that was going to show up in this fashion and make a statement. In another thread you summarized Halak's career briefly, while I was aware of all, you put it into a couple of paragraphs and you were bang on as far as comparing his development to where he is now and winning games. I hope he takes us on a run through the play-offs. The team needs to start playing around him which seems to be happening in baby steps. I was always a big supporter of Jaro and I have started threads about him being a diamond in the rough, under another name that got suspended for life,-(that's a whole other can of worms) but quickly died when Walmsley would come on and bring paragraphs and paragraphs of stats defending Price. I couldn't deal.

I love Price but Halak has always been my man. Like you Kozed I have a thing for underdogs. This is just the beginning though. Maybe Price comes in and gets 10 shut-outs in a row to shut us all up........... you never can tell, but somehow I doubt it because Price never see's or knows where the puck is. It either hits him or it doesn't.

Bottom line, This is life and Jaro is having a defining moment..............glad to be a part of it, He's been fun to watch that last few games.

+1

If we can bring the shots down and keep them from the outside with Halaks head space right now he will get even stronger. There is no need to bring in Price right now or any time soon. I hate that deflated look he has now when he let's in a goal, it droops right across the bench and into all the players. This team is way to fragile right now to invite those feelings back in.

I don't understand why it is "definitely" our goal to get Price back in net. Right now it's up in the air who the better goalie really is.

Besides, Halak will probably become a pretty good NHL starter but Price's potential is undeniably higher: he can become a franchise goaltender and possibly the best goalie in the league in up to five years. We chose Price with the 5th pick because Timmins thought he was the final player remaining with the potential to become a franchise player. Had we wanted a team full of solid players with no real leader (as we have now), we'd have drafted Kopitar, Brule, Staal or Bourdon. But we went for the home run and Price is the one piece in our organization that can ensure that we remain a good team for the next decade or more. Our highest priority should be ensuring that Price hits his potential.

Certainly, a no. 5 draft choice should have far more potential than a no. 271 -- everything else being equal. However, the minor leagues are littered with first-round picks who didn't live up to their potential. Even first overall is far from being a guaranteed franchise player. At draft time, scouts are trying to judge the future potential of an 18-year-old kid, and that is not an exact science.

Six years after Halak was drafted, and four years after Price, is it still as clear a difference as it was? Might Halak not have turned out as well, or better, than some first-rounders from that year? Take a look at the top 10 from that year?

1. Marc-Andre Fleury

2. Eric Staal

3. Nathan Horton

4. Nikolai Zherdev

5. Thomas Vanek

6. Milan Michalek

7. Ryan Suter

8. Braydon Coburn

9. Dion Phaneuf

10. Andrei Kostitsyn

Hmmm ...