Waiver Wire

markierung

Calgary was supposed to be the top team interested in Roberts and apparently the place he wanted to go to the most as well. Getting Jokinen and Leopold put an end to any cap space they had to spare though. Roberts said he had no problem accepting whatever role the team wanted to give him though.

A couple of things come to mind:

- Would he accept a lesser role without whining about it?

- Contract (would anyone expect different coming from me?) - he has a cap hit of $2.42 million, $820,000 of which is GP-based, plus another $350,000 in other stuff. This is pricey for a 4th line/locker room guy, not to mention that a lot of the bonuses won't expire until after the season (not much relief when they're unreachable).

Thats $2.42 million for the year though and the year is over 75% done. Maybe I'm confused because I am fairly certain that the salary TB has been paying Roberts all year wouldnt count against another teams cap.

Also wouldnt the remaing 25% be halfed anyways? If Roberts was picked up doesnt TB still have to pay half his slary? i.e. 12.5% of the remaining 25%?

I'm pretty sure any team picking up a guy off waivers only has a cap hit this year of the remaining amount of this years salary. ^_^

Edited by Sir_Boagalott

Thats $2.42 million for the year though and the year is over 75% done. Maybe I'm confused because I am fairly certain that the salary TB has been paying Roberts all year wouldnt count against another teams cap.

Also wouldnt the remaing 25% be halfed anyways? If Roberts was picked up doesnt TB still have to pay half his slary? i.e. 12.5% of the remaining 25%?

I'm pretty sure any team picking up a guy off waivers only has a cap hit this year of the remaining amount of this years salary. ^_^

That's re-entry waivers. Essentially, it would've cost about $500,000 from here to the end of the season to claim him. Not a lot of contending teams happen to have that much space left - including the Habs who, after Denis was called up, were below $200,000 on deadline day.