What does Carey Price need to regain his form?

REV-G

Last fall I started a thread where I wondered out loud if Halak was overrated. He was going through a tough time and at the time, for me, he didn't look like the goalie I thought he would be this year. Well three or four months later, Halak is playing amazing and no one, starting with me, is wondering or asking if he's overrated. As some of you suggested at the time, he just needed time to get over a tough stretch and regain his confidence and form. And that's happened.

So now we're facing a dilema with Carey Price. Before he was injured, he was hot, had a great record, you could see his confidence, was voted to the all star game and some were even suggeseting he be one of three goalies for the Olympics. But over the past two and a half months everything seems to have reversed. He looks lost, seems like he has no confidence, and after last nights game in Buffalo he said "it just wasn't there", even though he's been working hard in practice. So what is the right thing to do with Carey Price?

There seems to be only two options. One, do what we did with Halak. Just wait it out, give him time and let him work hard in practice and hopefully he'll regain what he's lost and get back to form. But I think Carey's problems are a little deeper and tougher than Halak's last fall. While Halak struggled he seemed confident that he could turn things around. I don't get that sense with Price. So I think the second option would be to let him regain his form and confidence in the AHL with Hamilton. I'm not sure what the waiver rules are regarding him, but if that's not a problem, for his own good, I think he needs to play regularly and get back to dominating once again so we can get him back on track in time for the playoffs, and I think time in Hamilton is the answer. I think Carey is our goalie for now but also of the future. Maybe his quick ascension has caught up with him or maybe it's just the sophomore jinx, but we need to help him and not let him sink any further down. I think he really needs others to step in and help, even if he doesn't like it, it may be the best thing for him and the team.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Hamilton would do the trick, maybe not.

I think he needs to stay put behind Halak and his time will come again. He doesn't need to be praised in a lesser league. He knows he can dominate there. When Gainey stepped over Carbo and brought Price in for good Carbo said his one concern was that Carey never went through a bad period. His path to the NHL was filled with success and it was only normal for there to be a pitfall. Here it is!

Carey needs to find a way to dominate the NHL. He can only do that in the NHL. People just need to ease off and take "The Jesus Price our saviour" off his back. Let these kids develop. It might take a while and I'm willing to wait. Maybe Gainey should have grabbed Kolzig, Maybe Halak will be our Jesus the saviour for now.

Maybe we should trade Carey while there is still somewhat of a "franchise goalie " attached to his name.

There is no right or wrong here. Make him comfortable, and let him grow. May be hard to do in Montreal.

They have to wait it out. Some of this will naturally change with maturity. He will learn how to deal with things better.

The most important for right now is for our defense to play better. Stop hanging the goalies out to dry several times a night. If the other team runs him then every single habs on the ice must make that person pay - regardless of the penalties.

Maybe Hamilton would do the trick, maybe not.

I think he needs to stay put behind Halak and his time will come again. He doesn't need to be praised in a lesser league. He knows he can dominate there. When Gainey stepped over Carbo and brought Price in for good Carbo said his one concern was that Carey never went through a bad period. His path to the NHL was filled with success and it was only normal for there to be a pitfall. Here it is!

Carey needs to find a way to dominate the NHL. He can only do that in the NHL. People just need to ease off and take "The Jesus Price our saviour" off his back. Let these kids develop. It might take a while and I'm willing to wait. Maybe Gainey should have grabbed Kolzig, Maybe Halak will be our Jesus the saviour for now.

Maybe we should trade Carey while there is still somewhat of a "franchise goalie " attached to his name.

There is no right or wrong here. Make him comfortable, and let him grow. May be hard to do in Montreal.

I just want to point out that Price was freaking outstanding for the entire season up till his injury. He has the talent but his head is a little messed up I think. The way he sort of shrugs his shoulders after every goal - his head seems to be on not loosing instead of winning.

It will come.

I just want to point out that Price was freaking outstanding for the entire season up till his injury. He has the talent but his head is a little messed up I think. The way he sort of shrugs his shoulders after every goal - his head seems to be on not loosing instead of winning.

It will come.

Injury + mess up in his personal life. I think he partied and was then disturbed by the rumours... he must have calmed down now.

however, there must be some side effects to that "party era"...

ya know?

some friends calling? some girls bugging? an angry ex? someone claiming something? etc.

Wait it out. We've got halak right now who can do the job, and well on top of that! What's the rush. make sure Carey keeps on working hard with melançon, and it will come back. the kid has way too much talent..it can't just vanish in thin air.

Carey is having some confidence problems right now...his confidence will come back in time, but until then, let Halak play! Jaro has been excellent lately, give him a chance to play some games!

Simply question. Which season did Price "dominate" in the AHL?

I recall him getting hot in a playoff after being called up, wasn't that his AHL carreer?

A hot playoff run is nothing, see Thoedore/Ward/.....

He was hot this year for about a month, not the whole first half as some of you seem to remember.

He is way over rated and I have no confidence in his ability to shake it. His maturity that everyone raved about as a teen has been proven as false by his immature actions while recovering from injury. A mature player doesn't party while injured. He is a lost kid who has had way too much put on his shoulders because he speaks calmly which people mistook for maturity when really it wasn't.

He needs to be in a league were the caliper of play equals his own. Not the caliper of his inner talent or potential, but his actual play level. ECHL!!!

How many goal lights need to be replaced before the rest of you see him for what he is. A guy who had all the potential in the world as a kid, but somehow isn't developing into a top NHL Player

Andre Racicot

Doug Wickenhieser

Carey Price

IMHO

Also, we did start him against a weak offensive team, last night!! He stunk!

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

He was hot this year for about a month, not the whole first half as some of you seem to remember.

He was a legitimate number one goalie for more than a month, more like all the way until he got hurt. Looks at his split stats: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3782/s...fB65R9pb_hivLYF. The numbers clearly show the dropoff did not happen until he returned from injury.

His maturity that everyone raved about as a teen has been proven as false by his immature actions while recovering from injury. A mature player doesn't party while injured.

And you know this how exactly?

Also, we did start him against a weak offensive team, last night!! He stunk!

You can hardly blame that game on Price last night. The first goal he made the initial save on a good, low shot and his defense couldn't clear the rebound or cover the guy in front. The second goal was on Gorges for giving the puck up and gave Buffalo an easy one-timer. The fourth goal was a tip-in that could have been prevented by Kovalev getting in the shooting lane. The fifth goal was a breakaway. The only goal you can blame on Price was the Spacek goal. I wouldn't even call that one weak, but I do think it's a save a goalie needs to make more often than not.

Could we have won that game with Halak in nets? Not a chance. Maybe he stops the Spacek shot and possibly saves that first rebound into the corner instead of to Roy. That's still 3-1. You could see the team quit in the second period after the second goal. Then it was back to the same old Habs. Turning the puck over. Being weak on the puck. Telegraphing the powerplay. Doing pretty much everything wrong. On top of all that, we simply weren't beating Lalime last night.

All that being said, I am questioning Price's mental toughness. After the playoffs last year I felt it was possible, albeit unlikely, that his confidence was shot. He came into the season looking great and what fears I had were gone. Now, after the beating he took right before and right after the All-Star break, his confidence seems shot again. He just doesn't look right at the moment. I don't know what he did over the summer to get his groove back, but he needs to do it again. If we need to carry Denis for a few games and let Price get away from the game for a bit, then do it. The kid has all the skills in the world, but when his confidence and mental toughness are once again being called into question.

He was a legitimate number one goalie for more than a month, more like all the way until he got hurt. Looks at his split stats: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3782/s...fB65R9pb_hivLYF. The numbers clearly show the dropoff did not happen until he returned from injury.

You can hardly blame that game on Price last night. The first goal he made the initial save on a good, low shot and his defense couldn't clear the rebound or cover the guy in front. The second goal was on Gorges for giving the puck up and gave Buffalo an easy one-timer. The fourth goal was a tip-in that could have been prevented by Kovalev getting in the shooting lane. The fifth goal was a breakaway. The only goal you can blame on Price was the Spacek goal. I wouldn't even call that one weak, but I do think it's a save a goalie needs to make more often than not.

Could we have won that game with Halak in nets? Not a chance. Maybe he stops the Spacek shot and possibly saves that first rebound into the corner instead of to Roy. That's still 3-1. You could see the team quit in the second period after the second goal. Then it was back to the same old Habs. Turning the puck over. Being weak on the puck. Telegraphing the powerplay. Doing pretty much everything wrong. On top of all that, we simply weren't beating Lalime last night.

All that being said, I am questioning Price's mental toughness. After the playoffs last year I felt it was possible, albeit unlikely, that his confidence was shot. He came into the season looking great and what fears I had were gone. Now, after the beating he took right before and right after the All-Star break, his confidence seems shot again. He just doesn't look right at the moment. I don't know what he did over the summer to get his groove back, but he needs to do it again. If we need to carry Denis for a few games and let Price get away from the game for a bit, then do it. The kid has all the skills in the world, but when his confidence and mental toughness are once again being called into question.

A goalie with the look of a loser deflates a team faster then a knife to a tire. It wasn't that he should have had that first goal, it was his reaction of "woe is me" after. Same after every goal. He has no confidence and the team knows it. Once that happened, the team hung back, stoppped skating.

Its not all his fault, the team stuck in the end, but don't forget how well they started that game. Had they scored, they might have one. Had Price hadn't looked so non-confident, maybe the Sabres never pick up steam. They smelled blood... The habs smelled defeat. The game was over right then.

Contrast that with Halak. he looks confident, even after he lets one it. The team knows he will shake it off. They know he will save their bacon if they make a mistake. This allows them to press to get the goal back.

IMO, there is no greater poison to a team than a goalie they don't trust, and doesn't trust himself.

Price needs to go to the AHL if that is possible and play 5 or 8 games until he feels "positive" about his play.

I like what Prime Minister Koivu said. The team has been completely sucking ass defensively. It's ridiculous. That is the absolute worst situation in which the develop a young goalie who has hit a bad patch. There's a real danger here of ruining Price. That is a notorious risk when you bring up young goalies too soon on bad teams (and while I don't think the Habs are a 'bad team', they've certainly been playing like one for the entire period after the All Star break). Remember Dan Blackburn? Highly touted, brought up too soon by a crappy Rangers organization, ups and downs, struggles, declining confidence, injury - ruined.

Price has to take responsibility for his own woes, but fer chrissakes, the Canadiens also need to put him in a situation in which he has a good chance of succeeding. Their play has been unforgiveable in this respect.

1 Ok, 3 months, great NHL career,.... :lol:

2 I know that because I read it on Habsworld!!! :clap:

3 We at least had a chance with Halak. I say maybe one of those goals wasn't Price's fault, that rebound was huge and uncontrolled. It should have been directed to the corner, Price was doing that in Oct. Savage ruled in October too, so did Reggie Jackson. I wouldn't take either! Did you watch him flounder on that break away goal. Not his fault? The team quit because they had a loser in nets. They came out on fire and their goalie let them down, again.... It is getting very old.

that is why they didn't come to his defense after the elbow to his head.

He is very unproven in the NHL. No matter what people think he might become, right now, and the majority of his NHL time, including the playoffs, he has been anything but spectacular, and at times down right crappy. He only made the all-star game because of ballad stuffing and everyone knows that. His mental toughness and maturity were what people praised this kid on, false assumptions I would say. He seems pretty fragile now. It is so easy to seem mentally tough when you have been winnning, Jrs, Calder , made it seem easy. He was hot that short stint, then not, then got hot for the start of this year, then not... Consistancy would be a real good thing in a goalie. I would rather a consistant 2.70gaa goalie over one that puts up crazy 1.20 gaa for a stretch then can't stop a beach ball for a longer stretch putting up 4.50 gaa.

Winning streaks followed by longer losing streaks equals losing season.

Fanpuck33, do you think Columbus made a mistake yesterday putting their future in the hands of Mason? I do. He is another kid who is hot. But what if he has a Raycroft/Theo second season? Think they can land a better goalie than Leclaire to fill in while he regains form? Never, ever, ever would I sell a proven goalie and bank on a new flashy kid goalie. The tend to be hit or miss come year two.

last years figures are way out of wack aswell on Price. Go to the page you quoted and look at his results against real teams. He had like a 4.00gaa if you avg just the top teams.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

Price needs to not be treated with kid gloves. He needs to get sent down to the A, he needs to work steadily with Rollie the Magical Goalie for a few days/weeks (anyone who makes Huet/Garon/etc/etc look brilliant must be the best goalie coach ever) and he needs to regain confidence by stealing a game or five down there. We have Denis who is a competent backup with plenty of NHL experience. Let's not push Price to his ultimate demise, let's do what we did with Komi, with Andrei K, and with all our other highly touted kids - let's nurture them properly.

Edited by Colin

Price needs to not be treated with kid gloves. He needs to get sent down to the A, he needs to work steadily with Rollie the Magical Goalie for a few days/weeks (anyone who makes Huet/Garon/etc/etc look brilliant must be the best goalie coach ever) and he needs to regain confidence by stealing a game or five down there. We have Denis who is a competent backup with plenty of NHL experience. Let's not push Price to his ultimate demise, let's do what we did with Komi, with Andrei K, and with all our other highly touted kids - let's nurture them properly.

Except that Price has played enough games that he needs waivers to go down. Price regaining his confidence in the A isn't an option.

Except that Price has played enough games that he needs waivers to go down. Price regaining his confidence in the A isn't an option.

Really? Brutal. Injure him so he can have a reconditioning stint. I submit to all HW members in Montreal: hit him with a bat!

:P

Really? Brutal. Injure him so he can have a reconditioning stint. I submit to all HW members in Montreal: hit him with a bat!

:P

And now we know why he has a bodyguard!

Care to explain that comment? You claimed he was good for a shorter amount of time than he was. I simply pointed out the error in that statement.

And was the timing of the partying or pictures ever stated?

Fanpuck33, do you think Columbus made a mistake yesterday putting their future in the hands of Mason? I do. He is another kid who is hot. But what if he has a Raycroft/Theo second season? Think they can land a better goalie than Leclaire to fill in while he regains form? Never, ever, ever would I sell a proven goalie and bank on a new flashy kid goalie. The tend to be hit or miss come year two.

I'm totally fine with trading LeClaire, though I think it was outrageous to add a 2nd rounder to him to get Vermette. Really, the only thing LeClaire has proven is that he's injury prone. Back in juniors the most he played was 45 games and he's never topped 50 since turning pro. The first half of last season was the only time he showed true #1 ability.

Having watched both Mason and LeClaire extensively, LeClaire impressed me at times, but Mason wows me. Watching him shutout Ovie and the Caps was the best goaltending performance I've seen in person by a long shot. I am very disappointed they didn't pick up a backup for him at the deadline, though. Since LeClaire went out for the year in mid-December, Mason has started 29 of 32 games. During that time he played through mono, only missing 3 starts. That's too much of a load for a 20 year old fighting off a lengthy illness. Hitch has no confidence in Dubielewicz and Mason doesn't have a game off in sight.

last years figures are way out of wack aswell on Price. Go to the page you quoted and look at his results against real teams. He had like a 4.00gaa if you avg just the top teams.

I see somewhat random stats against teams, like most goalies. For example, Price was good against Detroit and bad against Columbus. Good against the Devils and bad against the Rangers.

3 We at least had a chance with Halak. I say maybe one of those goals wasn't Price's fault, that rebound was huge and uncontrolled. It should have been directed to the corner, Price was doing that in Oct. Savage ruled in October too, so did Reggie Jackson. I wouldn't take either! Did you watch him flounder on that break away goal. Not his fault? The team quit because they had a loser in nets. They came out on fire and their goalie let them down, again.... It is getting very old.

that is why they didn't come to his defense after the elbow to his head.

He is very unproven in the NHL. No matter what people think he might become, right now, and the majority of his NHL time, including the playoffs, he has been anything but spectacular, and at times down right crappy. He only made the all-star game because of ballad stuffing and everyone knows that. His mental toughness and maturity were what people praised this kid on, false assumptions I would say. He seems pretty fragile now. It is so easy to seem mentally tough when you have been winnning, Jrs, Calder , made it seem easy. He was hot that short stint, then not, then got hot for the start of this year, then not... Consistancy would be a real good thing in a goalie. I would rather a consistant 2.70gaa goalie over one that puts up crazy 1.20 gaa for a stretch then can't stop a beach ball for a longer stretch putting up 4.50 gaa.

Winning streaks followed by longer losing streaks equals losing season.

Didn't you say you were leaving the site because someone disagreed with you?

Didn't you say you were leaving the site because someone disagreed with you?

Not in the least, I left because i was edited for calling someone names and he wasn't edited for calling me names. Double standard. But thanks for asking! I decided to come back because other than Koved, nobody here seems to understand the game. Thought you all needed some insight. (kidding) I have no fight with you BulisTheHab, you are a good man.

Not in the least, I left because i was edited for calling someone names and he wasn't edited for calling me names. Double standard. But thanks for asking! I decided to come back because other than Koved, nobody here seems to understand the game. Thought you all needed some insight. (kidding) I have no fight with you BulisTheHab, you are a good man.

kinda ironic that u were edited for calling someone names ... u're 2 for 2 in this post alone! (KoZed & BTH or BulisTheHabby)

also - since this post of mine is clearly irrelevant to the thread, may the mods do with this post as they wish! ;)

One thing i said before about Price and not been done is having a mentor to him.

Sure everybody respect Rolland Melanson(except me) but he has no guidance for

a young hyper talented kid with franchise goalie tag on him. And even more in Montreal

were the pressure never stops.

One guy from his youth was a mentor to him Olaf Kolzig. ow with his career over i would have

hire him as a special conselor to Carey for next year. Someone who played an managed a career

in the last 20 years.

Next year i say ?

Yes because there is no magic wounds there turning rocks on gold.

He means badluck, his vibes are all wrong, deflections will find the net as hard as he will try to stop

them.

Luck is a major factor in this game and when you out of it. your in a bad place.

First he has to make peace with himself (karma), secundo having fun at what he does.

Cuz right now he is no fun to watch.

I'll point out that had he not played yesterday, he would have been eligible to go to the 'A' for a 2 week (or less) conditioning assignment (had he agreed to it). With him in the lineup vs the Sabres though, that kills any further shot at it. To be eligible for a conditioning assignment, a player must sit 5 straight games. However, the AHL clear day rosters are due next week, and if the player isn't on that list (look for Pacioretty, D'Agostini, and Stewart to be on there), he won't be able to play. Price, not having played a game in Hamilton this year obviously won't be on it. (I omitted O'Byrne as I assume he'll lose his waiver free status before the end of the year and thus likely won't be placed on the list - I could be wrong though).

I wonder if this team misses Ryan Walter more than we might think. Walter was hired as some sort of special motivational therapist (or something) last season - then he got headhunted by the Canucks. In short, we had a professional on staff whose role was to facilitate a positive attitude and some sort of psychological mentorship among the players. Given the difference in psyche between this year's team and last year's, it's at least worth asking the question.

More broadly, are the Habs providing the young players, especially, with all the resources to cope, emotionally, psychologically, etc., with the craziness that's happened to them in the last 2-3 years? Kids from northern BC or wherever suddenly becoming celebrities and millionaires, having a city at their feet, and facing tremendous amounts of pressure to perform? You'd think the veterans would do it...but maybe having a couple of counsellors around or Ryan Walter-types is in order?

Just thinking out loud.