Laraque Done for the Year?

lazy26

The Canadiens had an optional workout at a rink in suburban Duluth but not before coach Guy Carbonneau skated the entire team for 28 minutes. He said the coaching staff wanted to send a message that they weren't happy with the team's effort in a 5-1 loss in Buffalo last night.

Georges Laraque, who suffered a back injury, didn't skate and his season appears over.

Max Pacioretty took what was described as a therapy day. He said he was okay but he was limping as he went to the team bus.

Alex Tanguay expects to resume playing against the Thrashers but goaltender Jaroslav Halak will be a gametime decision. He said he's still tired after a weeklong battle with a virus which kept him out of the Buffalo game.

I know he left injured last night, but does anyone know the extent of the injury?

It's too bad for him but this helps our team. Having Laraque in the line up stopped us from ever using Metropolit and Stewart. It reduced us to three lines.

Not sure where I heard it, perhaps my sirius satelite radio, but Laraque may be bought out this summer. If he is out for the season, this may be it for his time as a habs.

Edited by Habsy

Not sure where I heard it, perhaps my sirius satelite radio, but Laraque may be bought out this summer. If he is out for the season, this may be it for his time as a habs.

why wouldn't he? seriously.

I'm extremely glad we tried.

but that was a total failure.

there is no one to blame really... and I mean it.

Gainey tried. Carbo tried. Laraque tried.

It just doesn't feel right to have "predator" in a habs jersey. he can't skate and is a liability defensively.

maybe with a different 4th line it could be ok. not with our current lineup.

I disagree that Carbo tried. Laraque was never put in a situation to do anything. One period all year was he given a role and he excelled at it. I don't think he's a terrible skater and I don't think he's a liability.

I disagree that Carbo tried. Laraque was never put in a situation to do anything. One period all year was he given a role and he excelled at it. I don't think he's a terrible skater and I don't think he's a liability.

lol

could have basically stopped there. you disagree, point. :)

1. Laraque sends faxes to play the tough guy. Some caller said that on CKAC and it sticked... it's pretty funny, but pretty true. You consistently see him say " wanna fight" instead of actually dropping them. Moreover, many times he didn't act when he HAD TO. (e.g. Komi fighting Lucic.)

2. You're ing with me? Laraque is not only a terrible skater, I'd even say he cannot skate.

3. well, what is a liability? someone who gets out of the penalty box during a 5 on 3, gets on the ice and ... makes you believe he is a 4th man, when really his positioning is bad, his decision making is bad, etc. well the 5 on 3 unit was more effective before laraque got out of the box than when Laraque got out to make it 5 on 4... I call that a liability.

oh... about Carbo. well Carbo gave him some chances. and Laraque never showed nor proved that he deserved more chances.

One period all year he was given a role and he got hurt doing it. For whatever reason, Laraque is damaged goods and can't be trusted as a result. It's very unfortunate.

One period all year he was given a role and he got hurt doing it. For whatever reason, Laraque is damaged goods and can't be trusted as a result. It's very unfortunate.

what period are you guys talking about?

pretty sure they mean the Boston game where Carbo had him shadowing Lucic. Lucic was thrown off his game all through the 1st period. Then come the 2nd they changed strategies, and Lucic burned us.

The first meeting between the Habs and Bruins after the Komisarek injury. Laraque shadowed Lucic every shift the first half of the game. Lucic was a total non-factor. All of a sudden Laraque was benched, more than likely because he wouldn't fight Lucic. The very next shift Lucic played without Laraque on the ice he scored a goal. He was a factor the rest of the game. Laraque, meanwhile, saw one shift the rest of the game.

and why do you lay it on Carbo?

It was pretty clear that the reff explained that he'd do something about it if it didn't stop.

Yes it was effective.... but it was also "unsportsmanlike conduct" or whatever that penalty is called. I'm pretty sure what the reff said was that if Laraque didn't stop doing that, he'd give a penalty.

and why do you lay it on Carbo?

It was pretty clear that the reff explained that he'd do something about it if it didn't stop.

Yes it was effective.... but it was also "unsportsmanlike conduct" or whatever that penalty is called. I'm pretty sure what the reff said was that if Laraque didn't stop doing that, he'd give a penalty.

For what? He did nothing illegal. You're not allowed to skate next to a guy anymore? Nothing Laraque did was outside the confines on the game. If the ref said something to him, then he's an idiot. And even if the ref did say that, it's no excuse for Carbo only putting him on the ice one shift the rest of the game.

There was that Washington game where he policed Sauer or something like that too, where I was pretty proud. I think a lot of you just want to see him have a little bit more of a mean streak which wasn't there. It is almost like he was making fun of his role on the team because nobody wanted to fight him, and unfortunately seemed like he wasn't into playing hockey at all.

I wish Carbo could give him a role he could flourish at. In the corners and behind the net he was hard to get off the puck, Why not give him a few minutes a night with Kovy and AK in front of the net, or put him in front of the net for a powerplay here and there. Instead Carbo let him rot on the bench, and put stone hands Kosto on the PP which I will never understand.

The time I got really pissed at BGL though was when he fell asleep on the bench and missed his shift. The other team scored because it made us shorthanded for a second. I guess Carbo never forgave him for that and I don't blame him.

Laraque is depressed like Kovalev, most of the team actually. I wouldn't go canning him just yet we'll need him in the play-offs if we make it. I hope Carbo can figure out how to use him and get the best out of him. He's still useful if he's happy.

If the Habs try and do that, it may not be easy. You can't buy out an injured player - if Laraque's back pain is constant to a degree, an injunction can be filed on behalf of the PA to nullify a buyout. That's why Dan Cloutier is still on LA's payroll.

A quick calculation suggests that the buyout would cause a $500,000 cap hit from 2009-10 through 2012-13, boy that does not look ideal.

I loved the Laraque sgning. Shows what I know. He may just be too old to be effective (I realize he's relatively young, but different players age at different rates, especially when they can't skate to begin with).

Also - more philosophically, is a guy like Laraque really the answer for this particular team? I see guys like Kostitsyn losing battles for the puck or pulling up at the last second to avoid getting hit, or else playing the perimeter. A fighter doesn't fix that.

If the Habs try and do that, it may not be easy. You can't buy out an injured player - if Laraque's back pain is constant to a degree, an injunction can be filed on behalf of the PA to nullify a buyout. That's why Dan Cloutier is still on LA's payroll.

A quick calculation suggests that the buyout would cause a $500,000 cap hit from 2009-10 through 2012-13, boy that does not look ideal.

Agreed, I really don't think he'll be bought out though. He's still a liability to the team nonetheless.