A real proven defensive coach.

JoeLassister

As some of us already pointed out in other threads, the Habs are in needs of a real proven defensive coach.

Some said it was a job for Patrice Brisebois, some disagree.

I am one of those who think that it is a necessity, SPECIALLY in the system Carbo tends to use, for example when we lead by 1-2 goals. I think the players are not able to practice this type of play and that a coach other than the headcoach should be assigned to that task.

How ya' feel ??

Edited by JoeLassister

I don't think it's a need for a specific Defense coach ... all three coaches know how to play defense. The problem I see is the habs are "supposed" to be a skating team, a fast team ... Gainey even said at the beginning of the season, thats why he added Tanguay etc. So why do they play the trap ? I have no clue ... maybe they should use their speed and forcheck a little instead of always sitting back waiting to pounce. Teams are just dumping the puck in and taking advantage of the D-men who can't make outlet passes or clear the puck ... Komi, Georges, OByrne, Cube and pounding Markov and Schineder

I don't think it is a "defensive" coach we need, its a "defenseman" coach. I think a former defenseman (perhaps Breezy, who knows) would be ideal. It depends on their communication skills, analysis skills, and teaching skills. It doesn't depend on whether they are the best defenseman playing. Lafleur was a great player, but I bet he is a lousy coach. :)

I hear the rumour about Breezy a lot and I assume it is based on some view of his coaching ability. I have heard several of our young D. credit Breezy for helping them out, encouraging them, etc. I just don't know how much is true, but I have to assume that if Gainey adds him to the coaching lineup, its because he is basing it on his potential as a teacher, not as a player, or because he is friends with X or Y.

Edited by brobin

I don't think it is a "defensive" coach we need, its a "defenseman" coach. I think a former defenseman (perhaps Breezy, who knows) would be ideal.

Bang on.

Defense is so simple, really. Dont even need strategy to play defensive in your zone. Nail your guy to the board, make him get rid of the puck so your teammate can get it. Simple as that.

Why, then, are the Habs having trouble in the defensive zone? BECAUSE THEY WONT HIT! Instead of skating the extra 3, 4 steps to get to their guys, they stand back and do these weak little poke checks as if they were eating fondue... Team dont need a defensive/defensemen coach to fix that: team needs a doctor who can inject these guys with a regular intravenous dose of testosterone.

Now as far as Breezer is concerned: if he could only teach the kids to do his patented surprise hip check along the board, I'd be more than happy.

Why, then, are the Habs having trouble in the defensive zone? BECAUSE THEY WONT HIT! Instead of skating the extra 3, 4 steps to get to their guys, they stand back and do these weak little poke checks as if they were eating fondue... Team dont need a defensive/defensemen coach to fix that: team needs a doctor who can inject these guys with a regular intravenous dose of testosterone.

Beautiful imagery... :clap::lol:

I've always thought that the Habs weren't aggressive enough in their own zone. Teams are given the zone far too easily and aren't made to pay the price along the boards.

^_^ Thx...

Other one I had in mind was "as if they were trying to eat jell-o with chopsticks while wearing box gloves"

Ah, a close second. ^_^

Bang on.

Defense is so simple, really. Dont even need strategy to play defensive in your zone. Nail your guy to the board, make him get rid of the puck so your teammate can get it. Simple as that.

We traded Chelios and won the Cup; since then we've stopped hitting. It is unreal that we have guys like Komisarek, O'Byrne, Hamrlik and are routinely chasing the puck and standing off the boards in our own end. The only hitting I almost ever see is Bouillion running some guy in the neutral zone.

Sure we need a system to do something with the puck; but before that we need the puck. Larry Robinson couldn't take it as a head coach; but I wonder if he'd be interested as a defensive coach / advisor with us?

Beautiful imagery... :clap::lol:

I've always thought that the Habs weren't aggressive enough in their own zone. Teams are given the zone far too easily and aren't made to pay the price along the boards.

There's a "hockey guy" who works for a national network who pointed out a while back that one of our defensemen is a little too aggressive, and he's getting burned by it. And it's painfully correct. It's controlled aggression that is required, and decision making when to rub a guy out along the boards, when to take him out of the play completely, and when to steer the play to a safe area of the zone. Some guys go for the big hit and end up missing it, make an even-man rush into an odd-man rush, pinch with no support or follow-up, or simply fail to communicate with the rest of the guys on the ice what's going on. There's a guy in Detroit who's got a lot of hardware playing defense because he makes smart decisions and knows when to be aggressive and when to be conservative. The raw talent is there on the blueline to have a damn solid top four or five, they just have to use better judgment.