Carbo fired

alexstream

I'm sure Alex Kovalev is grinning ear-to-ear right now.

This may be part of his decission. Kovy has the ability to break games. The last two stars we had that had the ability to do this had problems with coaching. Lafleur was on the 4th line half the time in 1984 even then, he put up respectable points. Roy, ...well we all know that story.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Larry Robinson?

The 93-coach? Demers or something.

Bowman (would be nice)?

Carbo to coach Dallas next season?

Why fire Carbo unless Gainey intends to keep all the UFA's.

Can't believe the same players who fired Julien fired Carbo as well. this is beyond me.

How many times can RDS guys say that Renaud Lavoie came with the scoop in less than 15 minutes ???

Larry Robinson?

Bowman (would be nice)?

Robinson couldn't take the stress behind the Devils bench.

Can't believe the same players who fired Julien fired Carbo as well. this is beyond me.

Ultimately, leadership lies not in the players, but in the coaching staff. Since this team was utterly rudderless, game over Carbo.

Incidentally, kudos to Gainey for firing Carbo after a win and not a loss. Small sign of class when you allow the guy you know you're going to replace to go out on and up and not a down.

I'm sure Alex Kovalev is grinning ear-to-ear right now.

Ya, the lazy burp got rewarded for his lazy play. No excuses now with his buddy behind the bench. 10 bucks says he gets injured within a week or two because Gainey's going work his a$$ off.

Man I hope this wakes the boys up......

Larry Robinson?

Bowman (would be nice)?

That's the name I was coming on here to suggest. He's with the Devils right now I believe, as an assistant or consultant or something?

Ya, the lazy burp got rewarded for his lazy play. No excuses now with his buddy behind the bench. 10 bucks says he gets injured within a week or two because Gainey's going work his a$$ off.

Man I hope this wakes the boys up......

Like he was rewarded when Gainey, not Carbo, completely removed him from the team?

That doesn't sound right. I think the first half season with Carbo was the on where Huet was played in the last game and lost to Toronto. I stand corrected. You are correct.

well, that's freshly out of hockeydb.com call them if you have a complaint :P

BTW, Huet's choke im talking about is vs Carolina during the playoffs.

but during Regular season you are right it was vs Toronto the season after. Huet choked again.

:puke:

This reminds me of the government who patch up highways and bridges: looks nice for a little while, but it'll have to be done all over again very soon­.

This is what this is. Shortsighted electoral patch up work. Gainey's trying to save his own ass.

He better hope that the vets arent going to backstab his new coach, either by constantly whining to the owner (you know who I mean) or by choking when the going get rough.

Highly disappointed in the players and in Gainey. They f**king better win and go deep in the playoffs, or I, and lot of people, will be asking for Bob's head too.

It's Gainey's to put up or get lost.

That's the name I was coming on here to suggest. He's with the Devils right now I believe, as an assistant or consultant or something?

he doesn't want to coach again in NHL I think, the job was his in NJ and he didn't want it?! (Am I wrong?)

Hartley would be great, but I think we need to move everyone bar Melanson on the bench first too. Seriously, Jarvis was an iron man, but I don't think he's the defensive coach we need (because our defense is shocking half the time, and it's not always the players' fault).

Still, who knows where to from here? I've all but given up on the season, so now let optimism prevail!

Well I for one am in total shock. I did not think Bob would fire Guy, due to the fact that they are mentor and student. I think and I have stated this before that Guy just ran out of ideas, he tried everything he knew and guessed at a lot more, nothing worked. He very often just looked frustrated and confused. I think the pressure of coaching the Habs and the must win now syndrome got him to do things too fast and make too many changes all at once. This is the real proof that you can't fire all 23 guys so the coach has to go. I think Guy is a true montreal canadien hero and I hope that since he is still under contract that they will find a good place for him. In time coaching may be the route for him to go but he needs to do something else now. Maybe lever comes up and guy goes to hamilton who knows? Bonne chance Guy.

Did anyone watch the (lack of) progression of Carbo as coach? I'm shocked at the numbers of nay-sayers here despite the obvious problems on the ice. Somehow it's blamed on the players, and in particular the existing core of the team, when they somehow can't perform in Carbo's design-less system.

From one year to the next, there was always a continual issue in the defensive end, no matter who was brought in and how a defender improved. This disastrous season was down to the SYSTEM (or lack thereof) and the ability of almost every other coach in the league to counter it. You can blame Koivu et al all you like, but when the majority of the players are gone from the Dark Days, it's really not the players who are at issue. This was, pure and simple, an utter lack of coaching ability. Not to say that he can't coach - rather that his ideas were no longer taking in the dressing room and he had no ability to make them stick.

The quality of players improved from year to year while Carbo was coached. The depth improved. But the same issues remained from the beginning of his reign until the end.

Edited by Colin

Since Claude Ruel in 1979, no Habs coach has lasted more than 3 years, except Burns with 4 years.

That's 11 coaches in 30 years.

No wonder there's never any continuity. When is it going to be the little pukes of underachieving players that are gonna get thrown out on their asses? Always the coaches that get blamed. Gainey had a chance to change that ugly trend and he blew it. Blew it big time. Failure.

My tolerance for underachievement with this team and Gainey just hit rock bottom. Zero tolerance. They better win, and win alot. Nothing else will be good enough.

Bob said he had a 5 year plan. This is year 5. He has to win. No other alternative, no one else to blame now.

Im praying right now that he doesnt become head coach next year. :(

well there is one thing about him, he has a ton of experience, he's been either an assistant or head coach since 1987 so he' no johnny come lately.

Did anyone watch the (lack of) progression of Carbo as coach? I'm shocked at the numbers of nay-sayers here despite the obvious problems on the ice. Somehow it's blamed on the players, and in particular the existing core of the team, when they somehow can't perform in Carbo's design-less system.

From one year to the next, there was always a continual issue in the defensive end, no matter who was brought in and how a defender improved. This disastrous season was down to the SYSTEM (or lack thereof) and the ability of almost every other coach in the league to counter it. You can blame Koivu et al all you like, but when the majority of the players are gone from the Dark Days, it's really not the players who are at issue. This was, pure and simple, an utter lack of coaching ability. Not to say that he can't coach - rather that his ideas were no longer taking in the dressing room and he had no ability to make them stick.

The quality of players improved from year to year while Carbo was coached. The depth improved. But the same issues remained from the beginning of his reign until the end.

+1 :clap:

I couldn't articulate my feelings any better, so let me just say "ditto".