Hockey News Top 10 Finns Active Players

JoeLassister

According to Hockey News, this would be the top 10 of "Best Finns Players in the NHL"

1- Niklas Backstrom (Minnesota)

2- Miikka Kiprusoff (Calgary)

3- Mikko Koivu (Minnesota)

4- Olli Jokinen (Calgary)

5- Pekka Rinne (Nashville)

6- Kimmo Timonen (Philadelphie)

7- Joni Pitkanen (Caroline)

8- Teemu Selanne (Anaheim)

9- Jere Lehtinen (Dallas)

10- Tuomo Ruutu (Caroline)

Tuomo Ruutu or Saku Koivu ????

Edit : source http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/2429...sh-players.html

Edited by JoeLassister

Koivu has clearly lost that extra, explosive burst of speed he used to have. He can still produce, but it's really gut-wrenching labour now.

This is has been a ticking timb-bomb for a while, and detonation is imminent. Unless Pleks steps up, we could be entering next season without a legitimate #2 centreman, let alone a #1.

(By the way, something analogous happened in 1995, when Kirk Muller and Brian Bellows suddenly got real old real fast. Overnight, GM Serge Savard found himself missing 2/3 of his top line. We missed the playoffs as a direct result. Miraculously, Savard was able to trade a washed-up Muller (plus Schneider) for Pierre Turgeon and Malakhov; and with the admittedly horrible LeClair trade he added Mark Recchi, thus creating a bona-fide elite first line, Recchi-Turgeon-Damphousse, with a young and lethal Koivu as 2nd line C. It was left to Houle to blow up that promising team Savard re-built).

Anyway. I love Gainey, but he's almost out of wiggle room on this issue. This summer he has to address it.

(Note: the Sedins are apparently playing hardball in Vancouver. If turn out to be available, I'd definitely pounce. Something must be done).

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

All three goalies are too high. Mikko or Jokinen should probably be #1. *sigh* If only we could swap the Koivus...

All three goalies are too high. Mikko or Jokinen should probably be #1. *sigh* If only we could swap the Koivus...

Wild fans will take Backstrom over Koivu and Flames fans will take Kipper over Jokinen, those two goalies are right where they should be.

Wild fans will take Backstrom over Koivu and Flames fans will take Kipper over Jokinen, those two goalies are right where they should be.

I thought you said Kipper was no longer a top 10 goalie in the league? Both of those goalies are good but neither of them are among the very best NHL goaltenders. I don't have much faith in Backstrom. I've basically never seen him play aside for highlights but Minny's system has always allowed goalies to put up better numbers than you'd think. He's going to be paid 6 million a season, I wouldn't have expect him to be above 4.5M.

On the other hand, you have two #1 centers, one of them very young and already one of the leagues better point-getters. Montreal's been looking for a big #1 centre for ages and have never had any luck. Meanwhile, quality #1 goaltenders just come and go like that, only about 5 of the 30 teams are lacking one. So yeah, I'd definitely take Koivu and Jokinen over Backstrom and Kipper.

(And I realize that the list is of the 10 best, not the 10 with the most trade value)

This list is all messed up... If it was mine, it would like like this:

Miikka Kiprusoff

Olli Jokinen

Mikko Koivu

Teemu Selanne

Saku Koivu

Niklas Backstrom

Tuomo Ruutu

Kimmo Timonen

Pekka Rinne

Joni Pitkanen

I know Koivu is past his prime, but how does Jere Lehtinen beat him out?

• 2 weeks later...

Truth is that Saku Koivu is one of the most anonymous player in the NHL.

Think of the Canadiens and everybody will thing of all the great players that HAS been with the team, not the ones that play now.

Truth is that Saku Koivu is one of the most anonymous player in the NHL.

Think of the Canadiens and everybody will thing of all the great players that HAS been with the team, not the ones that play now.

I dunno mahn, I'm sure if you ask around, most people (who follow hockey) know who the captain of the Habs is. (Okay, some might answer Kovy... lol). Also, after his successful battle with cancer, I'd like to think that his status in terms of "known" increased quite a bit.