Unfair for Halak

KoZed

And if we had drafted Zack Parise at 10th instead of A Kostitsyn we'd have a 40 /40 man too ;)

Maybe we should all pitch in and buy the videos of each devils game and send them to Higgins so he can see what is required to be a 40/40 man in the NHL. ^_^

Watching the draft I was hoping they would have taken Getzlaf. I can't belive they passed on him when a BIG centre as available - a position they never really filled since the 70's (to me Bobby SMith was a good #2).

If Higgins had half of the hockey sense and half of the hands or Parise he would be great.

All he has is hard work,

HIggins has a below average shot, in fact I really do not think he is anything more than a 2nd liner on an average team or a 3rd liner on a great team.

I agree completely. His shot seems to have almost regressed season by season. Maybe he switched up his sticks or something, because I remember him have a bullet his first few seasons, and above average accuracy.

I agree completely. His shot seems to have almost regressed season by season. Maybe he switched up his sticks or something, because I remember him have a bullet his first few seasons, and above average accuracy.

He'll get his shot and game back once the habs trade him.

Higgins never had a shot. Ryder had the shot. Higgins got the Shutt style garbage goals, which he isn't getting for some reason.

cause he's the shooter of the line... he can't get the garbage goals since there is no more shots on goal, besides for his goals.

maybe they should try again a

Higgins (trash goals) - Koivu (playmaking) - Kostytsyn (quality shots) line.

and, when Kov is back, have the

Tangs - Pleks - Kovy as our 1st line

that'd put Pax with Laps and Kosto.

Watching the draft I was hoping they would have taken Getzlaf. I can't belive they passed on him when a BIG centre as available - a position they never really filled since the 70's (to me Bobby SMith was a good #2).

Off topic, but Bobby Smith was a good (not a great) #1 C. He has been unjustly forgotten by Habs fans.

Muller, while not really 'big,' played big, and was also a terrific #1 C for three or four years. Again, people have forgotten just how devastating Muller was in his prime. We would not have won in 93 without him.

We've had other legitimate #1 C since then: Turgeon was a legitimate #1C, idiotically traded away by that blithering orangutan Houle. And Koivu was emerging as a top-10 talent in the entire league before his knee blew out in 96.

Having said all that, I'm beginning to wonder if Gainey has fully appreciated the gravity of our organizational situation at centre. That he made zero effort to get Jokinen still perturbes me. Koivu is very obviously on his last legs.

This summer will be key.

Off topic, but Bobby Smith was a good (not a great) #1 C. He has been unjustly forgotten by Habs fans.

Muller, while not really 'big,' played big, and was also a terrific #1 C for three or four years. Again, people have forgotten just how devastating Muller was in his prime. We would not have won in 93 without him.

We've had other legitimate #1 C since then: Turgeon was a legitimate #1C, idiotically traded away by that blithering orangutan Houle. And Koivu was emerging as a top-10 talent in the entire league before his knee blew out in 96.

Having said all that, I'm beginning to wonder if Gainey has fully appreciated the gravity of our organizational situation at centre. That he made zero effort to get Jokinen still perturbes me. Koivu is very obviously on his last legs.

This summer will be key.

The problem is, who can we get this summer? There are no good centres available as UFAs. Maybe the Sedin twins? I'm not too keen on them. The next best I can think of is Detroit's Kopecky whose 19 points don't really excite me although he may be ready to improve. If Tampa keeps Vinny there is no one available at all that we want. Maybe Spezza? I don't think we want him either.

The problem is, who can we get this summer? There are no good centres available as UFAs. Maybe the Sedin twins? I'm not too keen on them. The next best I can think of is Detroit's Kopecky whose 19 points don't really excite me although he may be ready to improve. If Tampa keeps Vinny there is no one available at all that we want. Maybe Spezza? I don't think we want him either.

I don't think we can afford to be too fussy, to be honest. The Muller example proves that you don't need to have a completely dominant, world-beating 6'4 number one centreman to win. I'm no fan of this Superstar Complex. It would be nice, but we don't need a superstar. What we do need is a legitimate #1 C; if not a Lecavalier, then a Bobby Smith, a Kirk Muller, even a Pierre Turgeon, going forward. Spezza, the Sedins, Jokinen, they'd all be vastly better than what we've got (which is nobody). As long as we're not acquiring that player and annointing him The Saviour, asking him to single-handedly carry us to glory, and as long as we're paying a reasonable rather than ridiculous salary, there is no reason why those second-tier #1 C can't be major contributors on excellent, contending teams, especially since we seem to have a lot of good wingers on the team and in the system.

The Sedins in particular would interest me. Two elite players, neither paid near the league maximum? And they'd work with Gainey's 'family' philosophy too. If Gainy, God help me, is still with the team when it's time to make the call. :puke:

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I don't think we can afford to be too fussy, to be honest. The Muller example proves that you don't need to have a completely dominant, world-beating 6'4 number one centreman to win. I'm no fan of this Superstar Complex. It would be nice, but we don't need a superstar. What we do need is a legitimate #1 C; if not a Lecavalier, then a Bobby Smith, a Kirk Muller, even a Pierre Turgeon, going forward. Spezza, the Sedins, Jokinen, they'd all be vastly better than what we've got (which is nobody). As long as we're not acquiring that player and annointing him The Saviour, asking him to single-handedly carry us to glory, and as long as we're paying a reasonable rather than ridiculous salary, there is no reason why those second-tier #1 C can't be major contributors on excellent, contending teams, especially since we seem to have a lot of good wingers on the team and in the system.

The Sedins in particular would interest me. Two elite players, neither paid near the league maximum? And they'd work with Gainey's 'family' philosophy too. If Gainy, God help me, is still with the team when it's time to make the call. :puke:

Okay I agree we don't require a superstar centre. Getting the Sedins would be okay. They would probably cost 6-7 million each per year for about 4 years. Spezza's got 6 more years at 7 million per year. I don't like that much for so long for him. Finally, I don't think we will go after Jokinen since he will probably cost more over the summer than at the deadline and Gainey apparently doesn't like him.

I was a big fan of Jokinen and wanted a push for him. Look at Calgary now, he's done wonders.

Brendan Morrow, he'll rebound. I'm sure he would make a great ctr. Of course, won't be available, but he could play behind Vinny...

Regrettably, Higgins has never been the same since his injury; but he was always a no-hands, work-ethic guy with little hockey sense. He follows the play always always always.

that was Andre Savard's last draft. ^_^

This summer will be key.

he has realised our former D prospect depth problem, now we're one of the deepest... watchout the next few years. C C C

Lecavalier ^_^

I was a big fan of Jokinen and wanted a push for him. Look at Calgary now, he's done wonders.

Brendan Morrow, he'll rebound. I'm sure he would make a great ctr. Of course, won't be available, but he could play behind Vinny...

Regrettably, Higgins has never been the same since his injury; but he was always a no-hands, work-ethic guy with little hockey sense. He follows the play always always always.

Well he is certainly putting up the points. But I don't think he has done any wonders yet: Calgary is 2-4-0 since the trade deadline. They've allowed 28 goals against in those 6 games.

I can't stand hearing that both of our goalies need protecting from the coach because they are getting embarrassed. Every goalie in the league lets a soft one in every once in a while. The difference here is that our goalies are facing 40 shots a night and obviously the percentage of easy goals goes up as the shots increase.

The number one reason for all these shots is the running around in our own zone and when we finally get control of the puck we get to centre and quasi dump it in. sometimes it actually gets in the offensive zone but half the time it's flipped right to the backpeddling defensemen. This only means puck possession again for the other team. It also translates into no shots or opportunities. No shots or opportunities means no chance for even "soft" goals.

This team stinks. It has no heart and is counting on a defensive pairing that we had ten years ago.

Keep the young guns, Tanguay, Markov, and Komi. Dump the rest of the trash heap this summer.

Halak and Price will be fine, they just can't be counted on to get them to the playoffs unless they start playing the point on the PP.

Edited by zeous

I can't stand hearing that both of our goalies need protecting from the coach because they are getting embarrassed. Every goalie in the league lets a soft one in every once in a while. The difference here is that our goalies are facing 40 shots a night and obviously the percentage of easy goals goes up as the shots increase.

The number one reason for all these shots is the running around in our own zone and when we finally get control of the puck we get to centre and quasi dump it in. sometimes it actually gets in the offensive zone but half the time it's flipped right to the backpeddling defensemen. This only means puck possession again for the other team. It also translates into no shots or opportunities. No shots or opportunities means no chance for even "soft" goals.

This team stinks. It has no heart and is counting on a defensive pairing that we had ten years ago.

Keep the young guns, Tanguay, Markov, and Komi. Dump the rest of the trash heap this summer.

Halak and Price will be fine, they just can't be counted on to get them to the playoffs unless they start playing the point on the PP.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Bang on for everything.

Halak and Price are just 23 and 21.

Halak deserves the starts. He's playing well. If he falters again let Carey take the heat. Carey probably only wants to play the weekday games anyway considering the weekend rocks in the discoteques. Give Carey 5 years to grow and he will be the next Brodeur.