Who will be the next coach of the Canadiens?

REV-G

I know it's still pretty early, but who could be the next coach of the Canadiens? The last time Gainey made a move he already had Carbonneau in mind and under contract, so he must be thinking a little about that now. Does he hold down the fort like last time, until the playoffs are over and then make a move?

So what are the options? I've listed a few that I think could happen.

[1] Bob keeps the job himself for a year. I personally don't think that's a good option, or what he'll really do. I don't believe any other GM is doing that right

now.

[2] He hires from within? Do any of the existing coaches on staff qualify or fit. Maybe Lever, but that's about it.

[3] He hires from outside the organization, from available coaches: Bob Hartley; Jacques Lemaire [doubtful], then a list of older guys that have been around

and waiting for a while. Maybe they never get back in,such as Pat Quinn, Dennis Savard.

[4] A wild card with no NHL or AHL coaching experience: Patrick Roy or another very successful Junior or college coach. I don't know how good their track

records have been making a jump like that.

[5] A media guy with hockey and coaching experience: Pierre McQuire??

[6] A retread: Michel Terrien; Mario Trembley [i hope not].

My choices, in no particular order, would be that I would first contact three people and go from there: Bob Hartley, Pierre McQuire and Patrick Roy. If none of those worked I would move on to the next level.

How about.............

Guy Lafleur?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. :lol:

Can you coach from jail ??

I think it's time for Don Lever to get his chance...a intensive french lessons so he can answer some media questions a shut morons Like Bergeron and Chantelois up.

" Bonjour, je m'appelle Don. Équipe pas bon ce soir. Merci bon nuit !!"

With a team like we'll have next year thats all he really needs to learn. :lol:

Crawford?

and you thought that Carbonneau didn't have a system ??

just listen to what players in VCR and LA have to say about him.

If they thought GC was tough, Hartley will have these guys crying. He is hard nosed, tough, he likes to use his enforcers (which gets my vote right there) he does play a system, he benches people for not performing, he calls people out. He also has a good sense of humor when the team is playing bad. From his time here in Colorado i think most of the players liked him, but they were a good team.

The curent whiney, soft players on the team may not like that. Which is also fine with me, get rid of them and let Harltey do his thing.

Then he needs to hire a DEFENSIVE coach.

Based on what Bob Gainey said were his priorities, in order:

1 - NHL coaching experience. No rookies. Pretty much excludes Lever from the get-go, unless assistant coach counts.

2 - Bilingual. Bob isnt as dumb as some clueless fans saying it doesnt matter. Boivin and Gainey said it was primordial. This is 2nd strike against Lever and for all the unilinguals out there.

I sort of think that Gainey is giving a disguised trial to Lever right now. I'm thinking it's the same as when Carbo came with Gainey as coach. Gainey takes care of motivating the players and keeping egos in check while Lever is given a chance to pitch his system.

Judging by those criteria, off the top of my head:

Bob Hartley

Denis Savard

Larry Robinson

Marc Crawford

Mario Tremblay

Jacques Martin

André Savard

Kevin Lowe

1 - NHL coaching experience. No rookies. Pretty much excludes Lever from the get-go, unless assistant coach counts.

2 - Bilingual. Bob isnt as dumb as some clueless fans saying it doesnt matter. Boivin and Gainey said it was primordial. This is 2nd strike against Lever and for all the unilinguals out there.

I sort of think that Gainey is giving a disguised trial to Lever right now. I'm thinking it's the same as when Carbo came with Gainey as coach. Gainey takes care of motivating the players and keeping egos in check while Lever is given a chance to pitch his system.

Bob Hartley

Denis Savard

Larry Robinson

Marc Crawford

Mario Tremblay

Jacques Martin

André Savard

Kevin Lowe

That's a nice list, though Martin and Lowe are obviously wacky entries.

Hartley has the most experience, but I don't have a good read on what kind of coach he was. Most of the media chatterers seem to think he's not a 'Gainey type' (but they never explain why).

Somehow I like the Denis Savard option myself. Admittedly he could have more experience, but he does have some, and by most accounts his did a good job with a young Chicago team and was unjustly canned. He will be fired up at coaching here, that's for sure; this could be our opportunity to turn the tables and capitalize on a coach's apprenticeship elsewhere, instead of feeding coaches to the rest of the league.

André Savard would be a great choice - great hockey man - but obviously the politics are dicey. Ditto Tremblay, who was such a clown here that we're better off not even trying to change that karma. Therrien was a bad coach for us and remains a bozo.

But if there is even the remotest chance of Jacques Lemaire returning, though, Bob should move heaven and earth to make it happen.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

That's a nice list, though Martin and Lowe are obviously wacky entries.

Hartley has the most experience, but I don't have a good read on what kind of coach he was. Most of the media chatterers seem to think he's not a 'Gainey type' (but they never explain why).

Somehow I like the Denis Savard option myself. Admittedly he could have more experience, but he does have some, and by most accounts his did a good job with a young Chicago team and was unjustly canned. He will be fired up at coaching here, that's for sure; this could be our opportunity to turn the tables and capitalize on a coach's apprenticeship elsewhere, instead of feeding coaches to the rest of the league.

André Savard would be a great choice - great hockey man - but obviously the politics are dicey. Ditto Tremblay, who was such a clown here that we're better off not even trying to change that karma. Therrien was a bad coach for us and remains a bozo.

But if there is even the remotest chance of Jacques Lemaire returning, though, Bob should move heaven and earth to make it happen.

YES, I have Carey Price in my pool and he would be unstoppable in the Wild's system!

Bob Hartley

Denis Savard

Larry Robinson

Marc Crawford

Mario Tremblay

Jacques Martin

André Savard

Kevin Lowe

answer bob hartley maybe, he is a good coach

savard, wants to stay with chicago sees himself as a lifetime blackhawk

larry cant handle the pressure but maybe as defence coach long have i wished for this

marc crawford no way no way not a good coach my opin

mario should never be allowed in the bell centre as long as he lives he is a coaching cancer

andre savard does not get a long with bob so no chance

kevin lowe stop taking that stuff it's not good for you!

Bob Hartley

Denis Savard

Larry Robinson

Marc Crawford

Mario Tremblay

Jacques Martin

André Savard

Kevin Lowe

Lever kinda said that if only learning french was standing in the way, he'd learn it for sure.

answer bob hartley maybe, he is a good coach

savard, wants to stay with chicago sees himself as a lifetime blackhawk

larry cant handle the pressure but maybe as defence coach long have i wished for this

marc crawford no way no way not a good coach my opin

mario should never be allowed in the bell centre as long as he lives he is a coaching cancer

andre savard does not get a long with bob so no chance

kevin lowe stop taking that stuff it's not good for you!

Bob Hartley, has won a cup and is bilingual so he qualifies with the media and language police.

Denis Savard, do not write him off, the allure of being a head coach again may entice him to take another shot at the job, unless Chicago makes him an unbelievable offer to stay in their organization.

Larry Robinson, does not like the pressure in NJ so will not come to Montreal.

Mario Tremblay, had a winning record before the Patrick Roy fiasco, he was a rooking coach with out experience, he is not the same man and he could be a good choice. Fans and Media may not forgive.

Kevin Lowe, out of Edmonton???

Patrick Roy, you will not find a coach with more intensity then this guy. Control of his players would not be a question, communication would be blunt and direct to the point. Can you see Kovalev or Koivu trying to explain a lack of effort to this guy?

Andre Savard, people can humble themselves for the right opportunity and if he wants a head coaching job he might do it but I doubt if he is even in consideration.

in your dreams. Lemaire RESIGNED from MTL's coaching job because he couldn't stand the media. if he ever leaves Minny, it's gonna be for Florida... but not for the Panthers, for the retirement home. :P

I don't see why anyone's list never includes Gainey.

I like the idea of having Gainey as main GM supported by Gauthier, J. Brisebois and Timmins

and Gainey as main coach, supported by Lever and co.

Bob Hartley, has won a cup and is bilingual so he qualifies with the media and language police.

Denis Savard, do not write him off, the allure of being a head coach again may entice him to take another shot at the job, unless Chicago makes him an unbelievable offer to stay in their organization.

Larry Robinson, does not like the pressure in NJ so will not come to Montreal.

Mario Tremblay, had a winning record before the Patrick Roy fiasco, he was a rooking coach with out experience, he is not the same man and he could be a good choice. Fans and Media may not forgive.

Kevin Lowe, out of Edmonton???

Patrick Roy, you will not find a coach with more intensity then this guy. Control of his players would not be a question, communication would be blunt and direct to the point. Can you see Kovalev or Koivu trying to explain a lack of effort to this guy?Andre Savard, people can humble themselves for the right opportunity and if he wants a head coaching job he might do it but I doubt if he is even in consideration.

Forget Roy!!! A hot-headed, volatile, inexperienced 'legend' behind the bench in the insane pressure-cooking of Montreal?? Non merci, that has 'TOTAL CATASTROPHE' written all over it. And by the way, if Kovalev and Koivu had no problem mailing it in for Guy Carbonneau, one of the all-time great captains and grinders, and a multiple Cup champion, why would Roy be any different?

Savard is currently wasting his talents as an 'ambassador' for the the Hawks. Give me a break. He would pounce at the chance, I'm sure of it.

As for Gainey, he is indeed an outstanding coaching choice. The assumption is just that he'd be spreading himself too thin in doing both jobs for the long haul. Were he prepared to delegate a lot of his GMing duties to Pierre Gauthier, say (perhaps a useful act of succession-planning anyway), it might work. But can you imagine Gainey trying to work deals in the deadline frenzy while ALSO coaching the team? (Bob behind the bench on his cell: 'hi, Burkie, it's Bob. So you want Markov for Kaberle and 17 first-round picks? Hmm, let's see, when he gets back from this shiftt I'll ask what he thinks...') It seems not to be a realistic option in 'today's NHL.'

Bob Hartley - yea

Denis Savard - nay

Larry Robinson - yea

Marc Crawford - nay

Mario Tremblay - nay nay

Jacques Martin - nay

André Savard - nay

Kevin Lowe - nay

and as the bonus track on the album, Don Lever

I'm kind of torn on this because the last three coaches that were promoted from the farm team didn't have any more success than the guy they replaced. However, Lever has won a Calder Cup with the guys that are currently the core of this club and will be playing for the team for the next few years. Also the management above him seems to have a draft plan in place and also a development plan to bring those draft choices to where they need to get. In years past, I don't think there's ever been a true search for a coach for this team. Even when Bob came in, it was pretty common knowledge that at some point, Guy would be the head coach of the team. In 29 other cities, when there's a coaching job available, there's inevitably a long list of candidates, an interview process, and then a short list. Just once, I'd like to have that happen in Montreal. I'm all for being decisive when it comes to major choices like these, but I also think you have to know exactly what the options are before you make that decision, and sometimes there are options available that you may have overlooked.

Forget Roy!!! A hot-headed, volatile, inexperienced 'legend' behind the bench in the insane pressure-cooking of Montreal?? Non merci, that has 'TOTAL CATASTROPHE' written all over it. And by the way, if Kovalev and Koivu had no problem mailing it in for Guy Carbonneau, one of the all-time great captains and grinders, and a multiple Cup champion, why would Roy be any different?

Savard is currently wasting his talents as an 'ambassador' for the the Hawks. Give me a break. He would pounce at the chance, I'm sure of it.

As for Gainey, he is indeed an outstanding coaching choice. The assumption is just that he'd be spreading himself too thin in doing both jobs for the long haul. Were he prepared to delegate a lot of his GMing duties to Pierre Gauthier, say (perhaps a useful act of succession-planning anyway), it might work. But can you imagine Gainey trying to work deals in the deadline frenzy while ALSO coaching the team? (Bob behind the bench on his cell: 'hi, Burkie, it's Bob. So you want Markov for Kaberle and 17 first-round picks? Hmm, let's see, when he gets back from this shiftt I'll ask what he thinks...') It seems not to be a realistic option in 'today's NHL.'

One man's hot head/volatility is another man's intensity.