Habs vs. Devils | Game Thread

Fanpuck33

BTW, why was Saku Koivu scratched for tonight's game?

Maybe he's still quitting on people even with the old goat gone...

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I don't understand is that this team was NOT getting massively outshot for the first half of the season. At least not that I recollect. It really started after the All Star Break when Price began bombing out - the whole team suddenly began giving up 40+ shots a night.

That being so, we need some sort of explanation other than that 'these guys suck.'

Just a thought.

The D panic in their own zone.

Forwards too lazy to come back to get the pass from the D.

Other teams realize if they pressure the habs D, they will rush passes and cough up the puck.

What I don't understand is that this team was NOT getting massively outshot for the first half of the season. At least not that I recollect. It really started after the All Star Break when Price began bombing out - the whole team suddenly began giving up 40+ shots a night.

That being so, we need some sort of explanation other than that 'these guys suck.'

Just a thought.

You are absolutely right.. a finer analysis is only fair so here it is...

They also blow....

Gainey has had the team for three games, I'm assuming a 'system' requires time to implement so I'm going to give him a little more time there were some promising stretches tonight, let's see anyway can it get worse?

Go Habs Go!

Just a thought.

Snowball effect, I guess...

What's weird is that without Price, Koivu, Dandy, Higgins and Tanguay we were doing alright. They came back and Lang/Lats left and then we started sucking.

The D panic in their own zone.

Forwards too lazy to come back to get the pass from the D.

Other teams realize if they pressure the habs D, they will rush passes and cough up the puck.

I think that's the main execution issue. Even when they have time the D just shoots the puck anywhere without even looking. They also have all the trouble in the world to make a good first past because the forwards are too far away.

I think that's the main execution issue.

Reporter: Coach, what do you have to say about your team's execution?

Coach: I'm all for it!

I'm not sure if that came from Leo Durocher or Casey Stengel, but it suits the current situation.

Reporter: Coach, what do you have to say about your team's execution?

Coach: I'm all for it!

I'm not sure if that came from Leo Durocher or Casey Stengel, but it suits the current situation.

Man i laughed out loud when I read that. Bring back Kovy and Lats. Bench Saku for a game. I would also rather have the larger version of Metropolit. (Ryder) The small chubby faced version of ryder is too small. We are doomed.

I didn't even watch tonight...attended a friend's birthday party. In my mind I had guessed we'd lose by 2 or 3 tonight....could see it coming a mile away. I think a healthy Gui and healthy Kovy will help the sputtering offense, but Jesus Christ....the defense is a joke. This many shots, even a shit team can beat them.

Outshot....Again....Boy is the home stretch of the season looking long and painful all of the sudden....Props to Halak for another strong game, the kid is the MVP of the last month at least....The remainder, the less said the better......

Just a thought.

What was interesting was Gainey's comment about the second period in the Edmonton win (the 17-2 period). He basically said he didn't know what went wrong in that period and had no clue why his team played so badly. Sounded a lot like what Carbo said before he got fired.

Another interesting thing is that Lapierre and Higgins played 20 minutes last night. The reason is that while Carbo used all of Plekanec, Higgins, Koivu and Kovalev (as well as several d-men) heavily on both the PP and the PK, Gainey uses each player for only one of those two jobs; Lapierre, Higgins, Kostopoulos get only PK, Plekanec, Koivu, Kovalev get only PP. But Plekanec's been a PPG player over the past 15 games, he needs to get more than his 14 minutes.

Another interesting stat - Komisarek and Hamrlik combined for 11 giveaways.

Another interesting thing is that Lapierre and Higgins played 20 minutes last night. The reason is that while Carbo used all of Plekanec, Higgins, Koivu and Kovalev (as well as several d-men) heavily on both the PP and the PK, Gainey uses each player for only one of those two jobs; Lapierre, Higgins, Kostopoulos get only PK, Plekanec, Koivu, Kovalev get only PP. But Plekanec's been a PPG player over the past 15 games, he needs to get more than his 14 minutes.

Koivu has been used on both, and Kovy has only played the one game under Gainey. It's inexcusable, though, to not have Plekanec on the penalty kill. He leads the team in shorthanded goals and is a good faceoff guy.

Koivu has been used on both, and Kovy has only played the one game under Gainey. It's inexcusable, though, to not have Plekanec on the penalty kill. He leads the team in shorthanded goals and is a good faceoff guy.

Koivu isn't being used on the PK since Gainey came. The Gazette has the stats after each game. That's why he played under 16 minutes last night, we were shorthanded so often.

It doesn't matter who plays what amount of minutes, the bottom line is these guys suck. Thye are completely uninterested in playing hard, doing the little things to win games.

When Tom Kostopolous is your best player besides the goalies your team sucks.

And people wonder why i don't want any UFA"S to be resigned. This is why. Start over, you have solid youth and young talent. I go after the following guys. I originally said maybe they should resign Tanguay and Kosto but they have been infected with habscouldcarelessitis. They only cure is to rid themselves of the players infected.

!. Camalari

2. Boumeester

3. Gaborik

4. Neil

Nice improvement over the current roster.

It doesn't matter who plays what amount of minutes, the bottom line is these guys suck. Thye are completely uninterested in playing hard, doing the little things to win games.

When Tom Kostopolous is your best player besides the goalies your team sucks.

And people wonder why i don't want any UFA"S to be resigned. This is why. Start over, you have solid youth and young talent. I go after the following guys. I originally said maybe they should resign Tanguay and Kosto but they have been infected with habscouldcarelessitis. They only cure is to rid themselves of the players infected.

!. Camalari

2. Boumeester

3. Gaborik

4. Neil

Nice improvement over the current roster.

Camalari goes into a slump and has a 47 point season, Meester folds under Montreal pressure and media at 7 million a season,Gaborik plays 30 games and Neil gets punched out by Lucic, While Kovy has a great season in Calgary, Koivu is 5th in the west with the Wild, Komi is a force in Toronto, and we here at HW sing the same song we've been singing for years. OLE OLE OLE Ole ole oleole oh boy

Right, and you guys think i'm negative. The bottom line is the team needs a new identity and some new younger harder working players. I'm not saying the habs could get those players but they will need some players to fill those roles.

A top centre

A top winger

A top Dman

A bigger tougher version of kostopolous, someone who could paly in front of the net on the PP as well.

It doesn't matter to me what other players do ion other uniforms, they clearly don't cut it in the habs uniform.

Sorry, team rebuilding is not going to happen, anyone can tell you that. The fact is, we just went through a rebuilding phase which is supposed to make as good in the future. Obviously we are one of the youngest teams in the league and our players still have a lot to learn. The problem is that they over achieved last season, so obviously people have completely unrealistic expectations for the them, especially in Montreal. I wouldn't want Gaborik because to win him in the offseason you are going to have to pay him at least 7 million, only to have him play no more than 40 games. Jaybo is a suicide signing because he rightly deserves a 6 million dollar contract, which means some stupid GM is going to pay 8 million. We already have a top offensive d-man in Markov, and in my opinion he is better than Jaybo. Camalari would be nice but I doubt he would sign here. Neil would probably not succeed because the fan base would not be pleased with him unless he was taking suspension on a nightly basis (see: Laraque).

The truth is is that Gainey will sign almost everyone back, and rightfully so. Kovy could walk, but he will eventually become replaced by our cheap depth. With our current pool of young talent, we are in a good position for the upcoming cap drop as opposed to teams who are burdened by big contracts. Teams like Pittsburg and Detroit will surely feel the pinch. The bottom line is that even if we don't do well this year, we have the tools to keep building a strong team. On short, I'm glad Chris is not our GM. There is something very Toronto about his team-building philosophy.

Edited by ForumGhost

Well if your happy with the results of this team and always fighting for an 8-12 seed, that's fine. Think about it, why are there so many UFA'S? BG plan was to be a real contender this year then turn the team over.

Would the team be so bad with out Koivu (11 goals) Kovalev (16 goals), that is 10 mill for 27 goals. That can easily be replaced. Dandy, Brisby, Komi, Replaced by J-Bo, Emelin and Weber. That is an upgrade. The D couldn't be any worse then it is now.

They have a ton of money to sign and upgrade the roster. I think they will.

While I wouldn't target Cammalleri as the #1 guy (that'd be Jay Bo by a mile) I generally agree with Chris' philosophy here. There's a lot of money to toss around, and there's no real incentive to keep this band together. Get the Plekanec re-signing out of the way early, make your calls on Tanguay and Komi and then go to the UFA pile and throw your remaining money at a big fish.

On July 5 or so, see how your roster looks and try and fit in the remaining pieces as best as you can. Then consider the RFA market if neccessary.

Koivu isn't being used on the PK since Gainey came. The Gazette has the stats after each game. That's why he played under 16 minutes last night, we were shorthanded so often.

I looked at the box score, Koivu saw PK time. Not a lot, but he did see some.