Total disarray

zumpano21

I saw this on sportsnet where Gainey is now rumoured to walk at the end of the season. The decision to fire Carbo was not his, it came from upper management, and the word is he is no longer happy in Montreal and is fed up with the status quo.

I saw this on sportsnet where Gainey is now rumoured to walk at the end of the season. The decision to fire Carbo was not his, it came from upper management, and the word is he is no longer happy in Montreal and is fed up with the status quo.

That rumor has been around since the Carbo firing.

I've always felt he was going to walk after the season anyway, and the Carbo firing is a move that seems a lot more like a management move than a Gainey move. I don't know if he really is fed up with Montreal or not though...

If Gainey walks, Montreal is in deep doo-doo. Gauthier has already proven to be a poor GM and who else would come here for this job? If he walks, I predict an era of 80-s-Leafish-ness where Montreal manages something similar to 55-65 points a season for a decade or so.

Unless of course I get the job. Preparing the CV now.

Experience: HWL

Dislikes: Whatever Gillette dislikes

:D

I can't wait for the New Era of Juha Lind-wannabes!

EDIT: Incidentally, my first move as GM would probably be to make the biggest push possible for Lecavalier. It would make for some serious difficulties in terms of $$$ over the long haul as the economy slides into the gutter, but it's probably worth the effort in the end.

Edited by Colin

If Gainey walks, Montreal is in deep doo-doo. Gauthier has already proven to be a poor GM and who else would come here for this job? If he walks, I predict an era of 80-s-Leafish-ness where Montreal manages something similar to 55-65 points a season for a decade or so.

Unless of course I get the job. Preparing the CV now.

Experience: HWL

Dislikes: Whatever Gillette dislikes

:D

I can't wait for the New Era of Juha Lind-wannabes!

EDIT: Incidentally, my first move as GM would probably be to make the biggest push possible for Lecavalier. It would make for some serious difficulties in terms of $$$ over the long haul as the economy slides into the gutter, but it's probably worth the effort in the end.

You know who to hire as your assistant! ;)

You know who to hire as your assistant! ;)

You would trade the whole team for past-their-prime bums. I'm the guy they need. I'd instantly hire Joe Pesci (I liked the suggestion of Gordon Ramsay too) as head coach and together we'd get the team going in no time.

While I love Gainey and would be very disappointed if he leaves, I don't think we should panic if Gainey walks per se. No one is indispensable, and he has already overseen the re-establishment of the Habs' overall system, so the fundamentals appear to be in place. Gauthier may have sucked before, but people *do* learn.

What would be cause for panic is if Gainey is forced out by interfering ownership, or -much, much worse - quits due to digust at ownership meddling with the hockey operations. That would mean that the team is being controlled by the equivalent of Harold Ballard, in turn suggesting that we will be condemned to erraticism and mediocrity for the forseeable future. After all, under these circumstances, there's no reason why Gainey's replacement would not also be forced into decisions by non-hockey people. This is the classic recipe for Total Disaster in hockey franchises.

I'll therefore cling to Stephen Brunt's categorical statement that this was 100% Gainey's move, until I have clear proof otherwise. The alternative is too upsetting to contemplate.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

While I love Gainey and would be very disappointed if he leaves, I don't think we should panic if Gainey walks per se. No one is indispensable, and he has already overseen the re-establishment of the Habs' overall system, so the fundamentals appear to be in place. Gauthier may have sucked before, but people *do* learn.

What would be cause for panic is if Gainey is forced out by interfering ownership, or -much, much worse - quits due to digust at ownership meddling with the hockey operations. That would mean that the team is being controlled by the equivalent of Harold Ballard, in turn suggesting that we will be condemned to erraticism and mediocrity for the forseeable future. After all, under these circumstances, there's no reason why Gainey's replacement would not also be forced into decisions by non-hockey people. This is the classic recipe for Total Disaster in hockey franchises.

I'll therefore cling to Stephen Brunt's categorical statement that this was 100% Gainey's move, until I have clear proof otherwise. The alternative is too upsetting to contemplate.

Good idea. No use getting worried about something that potentially is untrue... and if it is true, what's the use worrying about it?! :)

Bob is an honest guy he said it was his decision and I believe him I may not agree with it but it was his to make. He is signed through the 2009-2010 season. So I don't see him leaving unless he gets fired which as he said at one of his news conferences that at the end of this year the entire hockey department will be evaluated by someone higher up in the organization. The only people higher than him is Boivin and George. If George is meddling in the hockey department I will be very disappointed since he has always been a hands off owner hiring the people and letting them do their job. Now Boivin I do not know much about but he is not a hockey guy he is a business man so he should leave the hockey to Bob. The firing has generated many rumors because I think the action is not a typical Bob move. He believes in continuity and good support. However he spent an inordinate amount of time being closely involved with the team in the weeks prior to the firing. So maybe he saw something he did not like and made the move. I doubt that pressure from above would force him to fire Carbo, I remember that when hicks in dallas wanted to fire hitchcock Gainey said no and resigned. Not a man who takes pressure from above well. We shall see when the truth comes out if it is any different.

Technically, Boivon can't fire Gainey. Only Gillett can. Boivon might advise Gillett, but it's ultimately Gillett's call.

I really wonder how this team will deal with the post-Centennial season. No more ceremnoies, less pressure in a way... I don't think things will ever normalize with the Habs, but getting less bizarre would be a real start.

I've always felt he was going to walk after the season anyway, and the Carbo firing is a move that seems a lot more like a management move than a Gainey move. I don't know if he really is fed up with Montreal or not though...

Makes sense to me that the decision to fire Carbo wasn't Gainey's. Gainey is not the kind of man to make a radical 360 degree change of mind all in a sudden. Doesn't make sense to fire Carbo after endorsing him with all his heart a couple weeks before.

I'm surprised Carbo hasn't spoke yet. He must have really took it hard.

If this is true, then he can't speak against Gainey. He knows he was his man and it wasn't Gainey's decision.

If he leaves, personally i would give the Gm job to Trevor Timmins

Are we over-hyping the guy? How many of our super draft picks have developed into 1st or 2nd liners? Over the Habs past 5 drafts, only 2 players have been starters all year long.. one plays with the NY Islanders and the other with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Makes sense to me that the decision to fire Carbo wasn't Gainey's. Gainey is not the kind of man to make a radical 360 degree change of mind all in a sudden. Doesn't make sense to fire Carbo after endorsing him with all his heart a couple weeks before.

If this is true, then he can't speak against Gainey. He knows he was his man and it wasn't Gainey's decision.

Are we over-hyping the guy? How many of our super draft picks have developed into 1st or 2nd liners? Over the Habs past 5 drafts, only 2 players have been starters all year long.. one plays with the NY Islanders and the other with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Timmins loves to draft euroes and NCAA bound players where he knows they'll have time to develop.

since 03 where he took the job he' brough.

03 Andrei,, Max Lapierre, Halak and OByrne. 4 regulars or semi regulars in 1 draft...not bad.

Chipchura was a pre lockout decent choice. not fit for the new NHL, though. he couldve had mike green instead...

yet he did Picked Emelin( who could come to the league next year ang getting praised by many)

Mark streit is doing alright thank you.

Stewart is a better/ bigger Steve Bégin.

Grabvski in doing fine in TO

thats 4 almost 5 in a weaker draft year.

took carey..nuf said

guillaume is ok at best but I blame Carbo on insisting to keep him while he couldve used time in the AHL.

Sergei Kostitsyn will be a good NHLer

If D'agostini turns his minus ratio into goals he'll be ok.

here'S another 3 1/2(sk being the half)

Fischer's dev was stop but illness but seems to be improving every year...would loved berglund though.

Maxwell will be efficient 2 way foward sooner than later.

as for white and the cry baby carle...time will tell

McDonagh, Pacioretty, Subban and Weber :clap: ...Maybe even Fortier in 3-4 years.

While he could've made better choices at time( Parise, Green, bergeron) no team hits thw 100% success ratio. So Overall I give Timmins a 90% on drafting.

I wouldn't mind having him as a GM but he'D need a great assistant so he could still roam the world finding us talent.

If I have a sleeper pick for the Gm job: Steve Yzerman is the self proclaimed biggest Liverpool Fan and is Great buddies with George Gillett....He would be my number one choice...with a good french teacher ^_^

Timmins loves to draft euroes and NCAA bound players where he knows they'll have time to develop.

since 03 where he took the job he' brough.

03 Andrei,, Max Lapierre, Halak and OByrne. 4 regulars or semi regulars in 1 draft...not bad.

Chipchura was a pre lockout decent choice. not fit for the new NHL, though. he couldve had mike green instead...

yet he did Picked Emelin( who could come to the league next year ang getting praised by many)

Mark streit is doing alright thank you.

Stewart is a better/ bigger Steve Bégin.

Grabvski in doing fine in TO

thats 4 almost 5 in a weaker draft year.

took carey..nuf said

guillaume is ok at best but I blame Carbo on insisting to keep him while he couldve used time in the AHL.

Sergei Kostitsyn will be a good NHLer

If D'agostini turns his minus ratio into goals he'll be ok.

here'S another 3 1/2(sk being the half)

Fischer's dev was stop but illness but seems to be improving every year...would loved berglund though.

Maxwell will be efficient 2 way foward sooner than later.

as for white and the cry baby carle...time will tell

McDonagh, Pacioretty, Subban and Weber :clap: ...Maybe even Fortier in 3-4 years.

While he could've made better choices at time( Parise, Green, bergeron) no team hits thw 100% success ratio. So Overall I give Timmins a 90% on drafting.

I wouldn't mind having him as a GM but he'D need a great assistant so he could still roam the world finding us talent.

If I have a sleeper pick for the Gm job: Steve Yzerman is the self proclaimed biggest Liverpool Fan and is Great buddies with George Gillett....He would be my number one choice...with a good french teacher ^_^

Those are reasons to make Trevor Timmins our head of scouting - and he already is. They aren't reasons to make him our GM. We have no idea if Timmins has the slightest clue about how to run a team.

There is no way Gillette had anything to do with this move (firing Carbo) and in NO WAY will he fire Gainey.

If Gainey leaves it will be by his own choice.

no, he's clearly one of the best head scout in the league... however, he's a head scout, not a GM. Don't turn this guy into another Andre Savard...

at worst, if Gainey quits, we can rely on Pierre Gauthier.

If Gainey does walk at the end of the season then we are screwed. Not because we won't be able to find someone else to do the job but because of the massive number of FAs on this team.

We need Gainey.

that's an understatement.

it's back to the dark years. we need a poised guy like Gainey in MTL.

I don't get the UFA problem and Gainey? Kostopolous is the only player who has even earned a contract. The rest are just floaters who have had zero or a negative effect on the team.

I'm ok with Komi for 3 mill a year, anything more would be a bad decision.

So IF a new Gm were to come in, all he needs to do is spend his money wisely on new players.

I don't get what the big deal is.

I don't get the UFA problem and Gainey? Kostopolous is the only player who has even earned a contract. The rest are just floaters who have had zero or a negative effect on the team.

I'm ok with Komi for 3 mill a year, anything more would be a bad decision.

So IF a new Gm were to come in, all he needs to do is spend his money wisely on new players.

I don't get what the big deal is.

What players will come to Montreal?

Beats me, but now they have the cap space and the cash to overpay some players. The young talent is still on the team. They have room for about 4 new vets to come in and take the team to a new level.

Obviously some players won't sign,

But there are alot of good UFA's and not too many teams with alot of cap space. Teams like the Rangers, Flyers, Flames, etc won't be able to sign or resign too many people.

Boumeester

Camalari

Gaborik

Neil

Hartnall

are all out there and there are some other good ones as well. In reality the habs only need 3-4 new players to change the culture

1st line Higgins

2nd line Pacioretty Pleks AK46

3rd line Lats Lapierre

4th line Stewart Metropolit Laraque

Markov Emelin

O'Byrne Hamrlik

Gorges Weber

Price and Halak

This is the team with know one signed. So they really need a couple of top end players and a top D.

Beats me, but now they have the cap space and the cash to overpay some players. The young talent is still on the team. They have room for about 4 new vets to come in and take the team to a new level.

But there are alot of good UFA's and not too many teams with alot of cap space. Teams like the Rangers, Flyers, Flames, etc won't be able to sign or resign too many people.

Boumeester

Camalari

Gaborik

Neil

Hartnall

are all out there and there are some other good ones as well. In reality the habs only need 3-4 new players to change the culture

1st line Higgins

2nd line Pacioretty Pleks AK46

3rd line Lats Lapierre

4th line Stewart Metropolit Laraque

Markov Emelin

O'Byrne Hamrlik

Gorges Weber

Price and Halak

This is the team with know one signed. So they really need a couple of top end players and a top D.

Nice theory. So now, really: How do you convince these players to come into this hockey atmosphere? We've been 'close' and 'highest bidder' in the past and still haven't landed any big fish in the UFA season. What makes you think this could be the magical year after this abysmal season? Do remember we can't use drugs, hypnosis, or any other kind of duress, these players have to want to come here of their own volition.

Know why Bob always said this team has to build from within? This is the worst market for attracting players. Add the Quebec taxes onto the political bullcrap onto the ridiculous media onto the overhyped expectations onto the boo-bird fan culture onto the disaster that is this season and what have you left?

The quasi-European lifestyle? Okay, you can attract fringe Euros. Yay! More perimeter Kostitsyn's.

I don't deny going for these players is great. Maybe one or two of them might even like the idea of Montreal peripherally. But I'm betting a lot of money that, when push comes to shove, most players will take a lower offer to play elsewhere.

Gainey has done a solid job at GM. Certainly, the team is not living up to wishes or expectations this season. But, the team is competitive and has some talent coming up through the farm system. Two things, by the way, that you could not say before Bob came to Montreal.

Not to make excuses, but there are lots of distractions to point to....too much hype over the centenial season...too much hype over Price....too much hype on the over-achievements from 07-08....losing Streit hurt...losing Lang hurt....losing Tanguay hurt...losing Komisarek hurt...

IMO this year's under-achieving team is on Carbo...the glaring holes in his coaching skills were evident all the way back last year when he couldn't salvage M. Ryder...Ryder was a project Julien and the Canadiens took on and who was nurtured by the organization and Julien into a solid NHLer....Carbo blew his confidence and now he's having a career year in Boston...I'm just hoping it's not too late for Gainey to turn around the other young players having sub-par, low confidence seasons this year (Komi, Higgins, Pleks, etc.)

The only thing that you can really lay on Bob as GM is his inability to land a big, quality centre this past offseason...Lang was good, but he's on the downside of his career....The Habs need to make a move to trade for a proven centre...

Of course, after this crazy season, the Habs may be forced to reenter rebuilding mode IF they are unable to attract quality free agents and/or sign some of their own UFAs...

Boumeester

Camalari

Gaborik

Neil

Hartnall

I don't consider this a very good crop of players. There will be very few good centres available (Sedin, Cammallari and Morrrow are all I see). Signing Sedin requires signing his brother - not neccesarily a bad thing but expensive. Boumeester would be great but I expect he will want to sign out west. Cammallari is one more small forward - not what we really need.

Gaborik would be great but he will be expecting 9 or 10 million per year.

What other good FA's are there? I'd list Hossa and Havlat. Basically everyone else is not as good as our own free agents.

Plus there are bound to be at least 10 other teams in the hunt. Even if you think players are not opposed to coming to Montreal we still need to outbid many other teams. What are the chances we can sign 4 good free agents even with Gainey. I'd say almost nil. Without Gainey, we are sunk in the free agent hunt this summer.

Plus your assumption that Emelin will come over, make the team and play well is optimistic. All three of these things might happen but they might just as easily not.