Habs @ Senators | Game Thread

Fanpuck33

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As per another thread, none of this falls on the shoulders of coach Melancon? Just curious, I'm no goalie.

I wish I could tell you, but I don't know what they are up to.

Remember this, Allaire was the goalie coach in 1988 and had troubles correcting Roy's flaws.

He is a great coach, but could not stop the struggles either.

So Price hasn't proved anything for being dominant...but Halak can be? You can't have it both ways.

I can't really figure out what point you're trying to make...

Neither of them proved anything at the NHL level. They've had flashes of brilliance, but no definite proof. You said Halak proved less. I told you it was wrong. Price proved he could win championships with a good team in front of him. Halak proved he could be a constant dominant goalie and make a weak team overachieve. Both are proofs, none is less than the other.

Remember this, Allaire was the goalie coach in 1988 and had troubles correcting Roy's flaws.

it's in the head.

Just wondering, bar, how does this feel like '93? The '93 team put up 102 points, had a proven Vezina winner in goal, and had four 30+ goal scorers.

... I guess he's referring to the song?

only 11 games before the end of our misery...

You're quitting too? :P

Nah. Gainey just had to give the team to the players who are showing the desire to make the playoffs: Laps, Kosto, Plex, Lats, Schneider, Halak... Burry the rest on the 4th line

I can't really figure out what point you're trying to make...

Neither of them proved anything at the NHL level. They've had flashes of brilliance, but no definite proof. You said Halak proved less. I told you it was wrong. Price proved he could win championships with a good team in front of him. Halak proved he could be a constant dominant goalie and make a weak team overachieve. Both are proofs, none is less than the other.

You brought up that Halak had proven himself 'at every level', I'm merely saying that Price has done more at every level than Halak. Whatever this argument is getting stale. You all think I'm foolish for having faith in Price, I feel the same way with you and Halak.

Oh the sig was from last year Fan, I just never got around to changing it, I really didn't notice it til you just brought it up haha.

Young Martin Brodeur was struggling with Allaire, who was forcing all of his students to play the damn butterfly. It didn't work with Marty.

The following Brodeur's goalie coach told Marty to develop his own style and to listen to his instinct

You brought up that Halak had proven himself 'at every level', I'm merely saying that Price has done more at every level than Halak.

The sad part is, though, that it's only true because Price was handed Halak's job in 2007 heading into the playoffs. Halak had been stellar in taking Yann Danis' job away towards the end of the season. He had earned the starting job. In comes Price and the job is simply given to him. The only reason Price has proven more is because he's been given more opportunities to do so.

Again, I'm in no way a Price hater. I hope as much as anyone that he becomes our franchise goalie. I'm simply not prepared to give him that title without making him earn it. Giving the job to Price for the Calder Cup run ended up working out well for him. Having starts handed to him lately hasn't.

Just wondering, bar, how does this feel like '93? The '93 team put up 102 points, had a proven Vezina winner in goal, and had four 30+ goal scorers.

Geez I hate it when people compare everything to 93.

In 93 all the stars were aligned: and all the good team were illiminated by others.

1st round: mario roberge got in Hextall's head before the 3rd game...that he didn't even play. Hextall was aweful after.

still in the 1st round: Boston got upset by Buffalo.

Dale hunter cheap shot Pierre Turgeons and dislocated his shoulder.

2nd round: Buffalo was easy to beat.

Pitts-isle: Lemieux and Jarg weren't there. NY upsets Pitts in Ot in the 7th game.

3rd round turgeons less Isles weren't a match to Patrick Roy.

L.A-TOR Gilmour got high sticked by Gretzky in the 6th game..No Call..it's Gretzky.

next game Gretz pulled his best playoff game ever and scored a hat trick in the 7th.

Final:

we lose the 1st game

2nd trailing 2-1 in the 3rd Demers calls out the illegal stick. Desjardin would later score in ot to coplete his hat trick.

the rest is history.

other difference from 93.

no euro except for petrov.

Great scores in bellows and Damphousse.

Roy in nets;

Demers behind the bench;

players willing to pay the price;

so STOP WISHING FOR 93 TO COME BACK!!!

You're quitting too? :P

Nah. Gainey just had to give the team to the players who are showing the desire to make the playoffs: Laps, Kosto, Plex, Lats, Schneider, Halak... Burry the rest on the 4th line

I have quit after many of Habs players.

Just hoping that Timmins is still there come draft day.

Edited by marky_and_komi

Ridiculous. He won a Calder Cup as a 19 year old, he posted dominant numbers in his rookie season

and was dominant for the first 3 months of the season.

He proved he has the potential to be a perennial All-Star, but he has also proven to be 21.

Calder Cup is NOT the NHL.

And since when does one really good season prove you are 'the real deal'? Remember Jim Carey?

I'm not saying Price doesn't have the tools to be really good...but he hasn't EARNED the right to be an undisputed number-one goaltender yet....he just hasn't sustained a high level of play over a long enough period yet.

Cares is Price's new nickname...because I just read 6 pages of absolute RUBBISH on him from this board

Listen...to all of you mentioning the Calder Cup and that stuff...cut it out. It's like your beating your heads against a cement wall hoping that when you wake up from your unconscious state of mind that he has a Stanley Cup to his name. Nobody should be comparing Carey to Patrick...two totally different levels. It's evident that he is struggling; and I will be the first: hate to say I told you so when I knew he was being rushed into a position that he simply was not ready for. Best of Luck to him. Now on the game...Kovalev and Koivu were both non factors helping the UFA dilemma.

I've given up...we're screwed...and we're out first round. So lets all just take a deep breath, admit that this 100th season was not meant to be, and be optimistic towards the future with the likes of not having Cowboy Bob as GM to make stupid and stubborn decisions like tonight. :hlogo:

Not at all, except for sbhatt, maybe. I think most of us are just frustrated that the hot goalie has not been starting consistently. It's not like Halak is trying to challenge Brodeur for ice time. Price only has 30 more games than Halak. Price should not be handed anything because of his draft position or hype. Make him earn the job, don't just give it to him.

Hey, back up the train there mister...I'm painfully aware of all the other shortcomings this team has. But there have been nights, like tonight, when decent goaltending would have allowed the Habs to steal a game. Those games here and there where Price shit the bed could be the difference between making the playoffs and not making it. I'm not implying that the Habs would be rubbing elbows with the Devils, Bruins, and Caps at the top of the conference if Price hadn't gotten so many starts that he didn't deserve...just that making the playoffs would be far more likely.

You brought up that Halak had proven himself 'at every level', I'm merely saying that Price has done more at every level than Halak. Whatever this argument is getting stale. You all think I'm foolish for having faith in Price, I feel the same way with you and Halak.

Done more?

You think that at the WJC being the goalie of Team Canada compares to being the goalie of Team Slovakia?

With his shitty Tri-City Americans Price didnt do anything Halak didnt do with his shitty Lewiston MAINEiacs. Price's junior team lost in round 1 the last 3 out of 4 seasons he was there. Halak's only junior appearance, he swept the top seeded Cataracted almost all by himself before running into the Memorial Cup-boud Oceanics of Crosby in round 2.

When Halak came out of junior he was sent to the ECHL and had to crawl his way out of there by dominating the league. Then he was called up to the AHL and was stuck behind FOUR goalies more hyped than him: Conklin, Deslauriers, Michaud and Danis. He outplayed them all. He had to dominate the next year again to earn an NHL call-up before Danis. 28 starts, 2.00 GAA, .932 sv%, 6 shutouts. That's a shutout less than every 5 game. He steals the starting job from Aebischer when Huet was injured. His reward? Doesnt get the last start of the year vs TO, and is sent to serve as backup to Petr Budaj at the WC...

In comparison, when Price came out of junior he was given the starting job of the Bulldogs, the same team had carried into the playoffs for the first time in years. No Halak, no playoffs for Price to shine in.

This isnt faith, it's facts.

Price used favorable conditions to surpass others.

Halak used unfavorable conditions to surpass himself.

In the current less-than-favorable conditions the Habs are in, I want the guy who's used to fight against the odds.

I can't argue with the stats, personally I want a winner, Price to me seems more like a winner. I hear you with respecting someone who has to work their way up through the ranks, my favourite player for a while was Ryder. I hope Halak does well, I'm just not expecting anything from either goalie til the REAL problems are worked out.

Done more?

You think that at the WJC being the goalie of Team Canada compares to being the goalie of Team Slovakia?

With his shitty Tri-City Americans Price didnt do anything Halak didnt do with his shitty Lewiston MAINEiacs. Price's junior team lost in round 1 the last 3 out of 4 seasons he was there. Halak's only junior appearance, he swept the top seeded Cataracted almost all by himself before running into the Memorial Cup-boud Oceanics of Crosby in round 2.

When Halak came out of junior he was sent to the ECHL and had to crawl his way out of there by dominating the league. Then he was called up to the AHL and was stuck behind FOUR goalies more hyped than him: Conklin, Deslauriers, Michaud and Danis. He outplayed them all. He had to dominate the next year again to earn an NHL call-up before Danis. 28 starts, 2.00 GAA, .932 sv%, 6 shutouts. That's a shutout less than every 5 game. He steals the starting job from Aebischer when Huet was injured. His reward? Doesnt get the last start of the year vs TO, and is sent to serve as backup to Petr Budaj at the WC...

In comparison, when Price came out of junior he was given the starting job of the Bulldogs, the same team had carried into the playoffs for the first time in years. No Halak, no playoffs for Price to shine in.

This isnt faith, it's facts.

Price used favorable conditions to surpass others.

Halak used unfavorable conditions to surpass himself.

In the current less-than-favorable conditions the Habs are in, I want the guy who's used to fight against the odds.

Well? Then it's Halak all the way to the Stanley Cup final.

Look up an old thread about Halak being a "diamond in the rough". This is old news. I don't understand why the kid keeps getting the shit end of the stick, literally. He deserves a shot and I say lets's give it to him. Price can F**ckin wait. He was absolute junk tonight. If he has it in him he'll make a comeback but nobody has time for his crap right now. End of friggin story. Let's move on to Saturday, we are running out of time.

Typical cardiac kids 10 game winning streak coming up.

P.S

Higgins was great tonight, and Gui's skating has actually improved big time. I saw it finally tonight.

Higgins was good in the third period, I dunno what happened to him, but he should share it with the rest of the team, did you see him lay out that Sens player?

Price is horrible period. I don't know how bad he has to be so that the fanboys start realizing it.

This is as bad as a goalie can play in the NHL.

Edited by Jaysix

I wonder if we couldnt get even more offense out of Lats-Laps if there was a more offensive RW with them? Tanguay for example. French Connection.

What's annoying is that the top 2 lines were mostly ineffective again tonight. Gainey can't keep Kosty-Plex-Kovy together, it just doesnt work this year.