Boivin: the next Coach will be francophone

rafikz

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have been saying that about a superstar for ages...

This really feels like the end of Gainey to me. When the president steps in and says stuff like that it takes the power away from the GM.

I really wonder if the Carbo thing was not Gainey's idea at all.

Edited by Prime Minister Koivu

I'm sure Philly would love to move Briere to the Habs .... Would probably be pretty cheap too :P

DON'T START :angry:

hey !! johnathan toews speaks french !!! :rolleyes:

I'm sure Philly would love to move Briere to the Habs .... Would probably be pretty cheap too :P

They can keep Dany and his injuries

But I wouldn't say no to Jeff Carter (ah wait, he is not Quebecois)

They can keep Dany and his injuries

But I wouldn't say no to Jeff Carter (ah wait, he is not Quebecois)

no problem just a slight name change and we Mr Cartier :B)

It's shit like this that makes me think I should consider cheering for another team...

As long as they're looking for the best guy who can speak french instead of the best guy PERIOD, they're gonna suck.

Edited by sbhatt

No matter how you slice it, the Habs are always going to be doomed to this xenophobic bull****. It's a shame that the number one concern can't be hockey instead of the 'identity' of the province. :puke:

Fear of warrior princesses? ^_^

Well....Bob Hartley i'd like to see behind the Habs bench...I think he's the guy for the job...wont put up with the teams BS.

As for Gainey's potential departure...why are so many of you thinking that the sky is going to fall down? Name me one trade that Bob Gainey has done that has gotten the Montreal Canadiens to be a potential Stanley Cup contender and not pretenders?....exactly...you can't name one.

And if you Say Ribs for Ninnemma...i'll find where you live and projectile vommit on your car :clap: :puke: :lol:

Edited by l<OV4L3V

.... just waiting for the French contingent to weigh in on this. Interesting that Carbo himself said that the Habs should hire the best coach period. Get a translator if needed. But nice that Boivin has stepped in to handcuff the team. Whoever it was that was considering cheering for another team? You're going to be one of a mass exodus this summer, I think, if the language nonsense rears it's head once more.

And for those that keep insisting we have the best fans in the world: *snicker*

Most political bullcrap in any sport. Right here in Montreal. Reason why Montreal will probably never win a Cup again: that same political bullcrap which will handcuff the club until the end of time.

Montreal has a few choices. Embrace it's French nature, go all French, and hold guns to the head of every major star they want here (about the only way they'll get most of them to play here). Or move the club out of Montreal. Seeya Quebec and your bullcrap taxes on the Bell Centre. Or they can continue to do what they're doing now and never get anywhere.

But no. Let's trade away four or five great players for Lecavalier and his limiting contract. Then let's trade the rest of the team for Francophone players. We should be last in the league in no time and for the forseeable future.

;)

The problem is that management is more afraid of the media reaction than the fans reaction. After Carbonneau was fired, even the guys on TSN were saying that the coach had to be able to communicate with the media, so that automatically put Don Lever at the bottom of the list. Management seems to be putting the press above the team, an ability to communicate with the media over the ability to communicate with the players. Geez, Guy was bilingual, but wasn't it widely reported that Guy didn't talk to the players, that he had Muller and Jarvis and Melanson speak with the boys? Hell, Guy even said it himself that he knew he wasn't someone comfortable dealing with individual players and that he'd rely on his assistants to deliver feedback to individual players. If there is any time when there needs to be a change in philosophy about who coaches the team, it's now. Well, actually, it was three years ago, but the next best time is now. The last Canadiens coach to come to Montreal with previous NHL experience was who? Jacques Demers. Cup winner Jacques Demers

Also on the topic of Boivin and his choice of coach, isn't it true that Gainey doesn't report to Boivin, but to George. Will Boivin be in the room when and if candidates are interviewed for the coaching job?

It's shit like this that makes me think I should consider cheering for another team...

As long as they're looking for the best guy who can speak french instead of the best guy PERIOD, they're gonna suck.

maybe you should :P

No matter how you slice it, the Habs are always going to be doomed to this xenophobic bull****. It's a shame that the number one concern can't be hockey instead of the 'identity' of the province. :puke:

why not you too go cheer for another team?

why call that Xenophobic?

haven't you thought that some of you guys might be "frenchcanadian-phobic"?

The Oils are xenophobic for trying to keep Smyth (unsuccessfully), for trading for Pronger and for signing Souray?

.... just waiting for the French contingent to weigh in on this. Interesting that Carbo himself said that the Habs should hire the best coach period. Get a translator if needed. But nice that Boivin has stepped in to handcuff the team. Whoever it was that was considering cheering for another team? You're going to be one of a mass exodus this summer, I think, if the language nonsense rears it's head once more.

And for those that keep insisting we have the best fans in the world: *snicker*

Most political bullcrap in any sport. Right here in Montreal. Reason why Montreal will probably never win a Cup again: that same political bullcrap which will handcuff the club until the end of time.

Montreal has a few choices. Embrace it's French nature, go all French, and hold guns to the head of every major star they want here (about the only way they'll get most of them to play here). Or move the club out of Montreal. Seeya Quebec and your bullcrap taxes on the Bell Centre. Or they can continue to do what they're doing now and never get anywhere.

But no. Let's trade away four or five great players for Lecavalier and his limiting contract. Then let's trade the rest of the team for Francophone players. We should be last in the league in no time and for the forseeable future.

;)

the problem is not political, it's the 80% french fanbase (when they were discussing a replacing coach, that was the % they brought constantly)

so call that a problem if you want. I call that knowing how to respond to its fanbase.

Sorry Alex, bred into a lot of people - regardless of language. I don't see it as a huge issue, we are what we are; but to accuse people of xenophobia because we're ruled out of a lot of excellent coaches is over the top. {My bad, it wasn't you who wrote 'xenophobic'; it was Forum Ghost, and the reverse applies. Apologies}

Boivin is handcuffing us here; not only with the coach selection, but also with the superstar comment. As someone noted, saying it publicly just drives the price up, on both accounts. And plus, he makes it looks like Gainey's power as GM is severely diluted: shouldn't announcements of this nature be made by our GM? Why make the announcements? Is this an apology to the fans for our poor season? Are they that concerned with ticket / merchandise sales, looking to generate more interest????? The motives behind his comments really puzzle me.

On the other hand, he's saying what everyone already knows; and it's not like there are only mediocre to bad coaches who can speak French available. (Welcome back Carbo! You lost the room; this summer we'll lose the room for you!) And the superstar thing...I'd be ecstatic if we landed LeCavalier, because this other approach, the one where we slug it out for 8th, now in its 12th year or so, is not working! To be fair Colin, do we have 4 or 5 'great' players to trade?

Edited by tokyohabs

Hopfully Bettman will impose a type of NFL-style Rooney-Rule on th Habs and require them to interview at least 1 non-french speaker.

It was wrong in the pre-80s for French Canadians to not be given jobs they could do simply because they couldn't speak English - it's wrong today for non-French speakers to not be given jobs they can do simply because they cant speak French. (and yes, IMO you can coach an NHL hockey team AND deal with french media as a unilingual anglophone)

Hire th best candidate. Be a consistent top 5 team in the NHL. The coach will be loved - maybe not right away - but they will be loved.

btw - how is Marc Trestman's french?

If you believe that the well-known xenophobia issues in Quebec don't apply to the hockey team, then you are ignoring the reality of it. Can you imagine the backlash from the french media if an anglophone coach was chosen and refused to do interviews in french? It would be huge. If you don't believe me, the living example wears number 11.

I'm not saying I have a problem with french Canadians, I'm just saying it's unfortunate this issue should have to effect the direction of the team.

Winning should be the best way to respond to you fanbase.

I'm one of the very, very few people on this forum who sticks by the Habs through thick and thin.

Edited by ForumGhost

why call that Xenophobic?

haven't you thought that some of you guys might be "frenchcanadian-phobic"?

The Oils are xenophobic for trying to keep Smyth (unsuccessfully), for trading for Pronger and for signing Souray?

the problem is not political, it's the 80% french fanbase (when they were discussing a replacing coach, that was the % they brought constantly)

so call that a problem if you want. I call that knowing how to respond to its fanbase.

Alex, with all the respect I can muster. You don't see the problem in limiting the pool of potential coaching candidates to only those that are francophone? I live here, born and raised, and yes, in ideal conditions, we'd have Vinnie in the lineup, with a Quebec born coach. But, WOW, we as a society look pathetic when that's the number one thing on peoples minds. When I listen to Ron Fournier say Saku "nous prendre pour des caves" I cringe, I'm disgusted. When essentially, Begin and Dandenault said the same thing about Carbo's communication skills. When the USA, with it's history of racism, can elect a black president, don't you think it's time that something so less important, a hockey coach, be open to the best possible candidate.

Alex, with all the respect I can muster. You don't see the problem in limiting the pool of potential coaching candidates to only those that are francophone? I live here, born and raised, and yes, in ideal conditions, we'd have Vinnie in the lineup, with a Quebec born coach. But, WOW, we as a society look pathetic when that's the number one thing on peoples minds. When I listen to Ron Fournier say Saku "nous prendre pour des caves" I cringe, I'm disgusted. When essentially, Begin and Dandenault said the same thing about Carbo's communication skills. When the USA, with it's history of racism, can elect a black president, don't you think it's time that something so less important, a hockey coach, be open to the best possible candidate.

and you will go personally ask those 80% of fans to learn english or stfu?

;)

it's 1 vs Millions.

Boivin didn't say the coach has to be a "pure laine"

he said he'd have to speak french.

If lever learns french over the summer, Boivin won't oppose.

If you believe that the well-known xenophobia issues in Quebec don't apply to the hockey team, then you are ignoring the reality of it. Can you imagine the backlash from the french media if an anglophone coach was chosen and refused to do interviews in french? It would be huge. If you don't believe me, the living example wears number 11.

I'm not saying I have a problem with french Canadians, I'm just saying it's unfortunate this issue should have to effect the direction of the team.

Winning should be the best way to respond to you fanbase.

I'm one of the very, very few people on this forum who sticks by the Habs through thick and thin.

lol

ok, so the person getting here shouldn't have to adapt the 5 millions or more French guys in quebec that can't understand half a sentence of english if it's not "yes no ketchup toaster".. those 5 millions + guys have to adapt?

that is "englocentrism" (lol)

that's the illness of many english people who'd never do an effort to learn a new language but think it's normal for everyone around the globe to learn english. That's the syndrome of the American tourist in Mexico yelling at the mexican dude because he doesn't understand english. I have a cousin who's from Kitchener and went in vacation in Rivière du Loup... he had an argument with a waitress because she couldn't understand english. he was frustrated at her. really.

Montreal per se is bilingual, it's maybe 50-50... elsewhere in Quebec, it's 90-10. overall makes it 80-20.

you can't "ignore" that 80%. you can't show them the finger and tell them. Just learn english you lazy morons! that's respect for your fans. That's not xenophobia.

umm Bob Hartley, Normand Flynn, Some quebec junior hockey league coaches, ...Dany Dubé lol

They can't speak english, that's an even bigger problem :P

This is a hockey team, a business. It's not the government, a hospital, a school, a library. This 80% number you like to use, are they going to stop being fans? We were the team of the last century, with coaches like Dick Irvin Sr., Toe Blake and Scotty Bowman. Ten years into the new century, we're looking awfully Chicago Cub like. Since when do the Canadiens have to be a developer of francophone coaching talent anyway? Maybe, just maybe, it's holding us back!!!!