Boivin: the next Coach will be francophone

rafikz

This whole thread is crap as far as I am concerned Toe Blake did not speak french Scotty Bowman did not spreak french Dick Irvin did not speak french. How many cups would we have without them? I am of french canadien decent, named for the rocket and I, like guy carbonneau dont care if he speaks chinese I WANT ANOTHER GD CUP.

hell lets get a russian coach maybe he could get the damn ruskies on this team moving their asses. pol inc i know

Edited by habs rule

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This whole thread is crap as far as I am concerned Toe Blake did not speak french Scotty Bowman did not spreak french Dick Irvin did not speak french. How many cups would we have without them? I am of french canadien decent, named for the rocket and I, like guy carbonneau dont care if he speaks chinese I WANT ANOTHER GD CUP.

That's all there is, SCOREBOARD, WINS, CUPS, thanks Habs Rule...

and you will go personally ask those 80% of fans to learn english or stfu?

So you're trying to tell me that 80% of people in Quebec don't speak English?

Umm... Toe Blake and Scotty Bowman both could speak French...

Umm... Toe Blake and Scotty Bowman both could speak French...

actuall y u r wrong both spoke a pidgen french but were not in any bilingual

actuall y u r wrong both spoke a pidgen french but were not in any bilingual

Toe Blake was fluent in French. He learned it from his mother and he lived in Montreal for the majority of his adult life. Bowman grew up just outside of Montreal and knows the language well enough to get by. I've heard his French is about on par with Gainey's.

Toe Blake was fluent in French. He learned it from his mother and he lived in Montreal for the majority of his adult life. Bowman grew up just outside of Montreal and knows the language well enough to get by. I've heard his French is about on par with Gainey's.

i hate to say it but you may be right I may have read and article that was incorrect. However the point still stands. I dont care what the media in quebec want I want a cup and I do not care what language the coach speaks. Guy spoke french pretty well and could not communicate with his players, so lets do that again shall we. Most people in Quebec 75-80% speak both languages. I want a coach who can talk to the players I could care less if the media cant understand him since they wont have to score any goals or kill any penalties. Get the best damn coach you can he can learn to speak whatever language you like. Just like the prime minister of this country (one of the few things he has ever done that i agree with)

Edited by habs rule

i hate to say it but you may be right I may have read and article that was incorrect. However the point still stands. I dont care what the media in quebec want I want a cup and I do not care what language the coach speaks. Guy spoke french pretty well and could not communicate with his players, so lets do that again shall we. Most people in Quebec 75-80% speak both languages. I want a coach who can talk to the players I could care less if the media cant understand him since they wont have to score any goals or kill any penalties. Get the best damn coach you can he can learn to speak whatever language you like. Just like the prime minister of this country (one of the few things he has ever done that i agree with)

Yup, I agree. Best coach possible no matter what. They can easily pay a translator. That being said, I would require a non-French speaking coach to learn French as part of his contract. It's a sign of respect to the province, plus I think that if you are going to make a living somewhere, you should have to speak the language of where you are.

Yup, I agree. Best coach possible no matter what. They can easily pay a translator. That being said, I would require a non-French speaking coach to learn French as part of his contract. It's a sign of respect to the province, plus I think that if you are going to make a living somewhere, you should have to speak the language of where you are.

that seems very reasonable. I'm glad we solved this. Let Bob and Pierre (keep your mitts off my hockey team) know our decision and lets get to winning some hockey games. :clap::lol:

hell lets get a russian coach maybe he could get the damn ruskies on this team moving their asses. pol inc i know

he did.

was from montreal and has a surprising good french... no idea how he talked to the medias though. :P

why am I trying?

heck, in Qc city and Longueuil (total for both of more than 1M) which are 2nd and 3rd biggest cities in the province of Quebec, you can barely find someone who understand english. And I'm not even talking about further down the st-laurent (in Gaspé, Rimousky) or in the Saguenay Lac St-Jean (all those little cities amount for half of the population of the province).

People try to understand a bit about what that province is before thinking that you know all.

Would I get myself understood in french if I was going to Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico??

There are above 7.5M in the province.

there are nearly 3M in greater Montreal and maybe 50% of them will not understand english or barely understand it (yes no ketchup - highschool bad english at best). So that gives you 1.5M-2M who either are bilingual or just english. For the rest of the province, add another 10% of the 7M... so 700k.

So at best? at the very best, 35% of the province will be able to understand and will "understand the choice of having an english coach" the rest will just bitch and whine because they don't understand and are dissatisfied.

some stats if you want

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qu%C3%A9bec#Mother_tongues

that's reasonable.

Like Stephen Harper is really trying hard to learn french (that still doesn't make him a good prime minister though :P)

:lol: wow, where do you take that from?!

do a round try my friend, I guarantee that you are an e.t. in Rimousky and they do not make the difference between you, a spanish-speaking and a chinese-speaking.

my cousins are literate, well schooled, intelligent, reasonable beings from Rivière du Loup and couldnt understand a word of english.

one of them moved to montreal at 20 and he's 25 now and is only starting to understand english. he had to for his job, etc.

Guess the next Nashville coach is going to have to learn country music........either playing/singing or writing.

:huh:

Hire the BEST MOST EXPERIENCED period.

Edited by kenadian

Your 65% claim seems a bit better. If we're going with a population of 7.5 million: 80% claim to be native francophones, so 6 million. As of 1996, 1/3 of the francophones also knew English. That's two million. 12%, or 900,000 claim to be allophones. As of 1996, two-thirds of allophones also speak English, so 600,00. 8% claim to be anglophones, that's 600,000. Using those numbers, 42% know English. If the number of francophones who also speak English has continued to grow, I would guess that number is approaching 50%.

Anyways, my original point was that you 80% figure was way off, and it was. That being said, I would have guessed the number of people who can speak English would be well over 50%. My experience in Montreal definitely influenced my perception, though I guess it makes sense that there is a higher percentage of bilingual people in Montreal, especially in businesses and restaurants.

Guess the next Nashville coach is going to have to learn country music........either playing/singing or writing.

:huh:

Hire the BEST MOST EXPERIENCED period.

Your analogy is absurd.

:lol: 75-80% of Outremont speak both languages !!!

Who cares what 80% of people in Quebec speak? You can throw around all the stats you want but in the end it doesn't matter what the fans speak. They can speak Spanish for all I care. Bottom line: our dressing room is English. That's the only thing that's important. As long as the coach is able to speak whatever the players speak, nothing else is important. This is a hockey team, not a government establishment.

Edited by ForumGhost

Who cares what 80% of people in Quebec speak? You can throw around all the stats you want but in the end it doesn't matter what the fans speak. They can speak Spanish for all I care. Bottom line: our dressing room is English. That's the only thing that's important. As long as the coach is able to speak whatever the players speak, nothing else is important. This is a hockey team, not a government establishment.

exactly

It's shit like this that makes me think I should consider cheering for another team...

As long as they're looking for the best guy who can speak french instead of the best guy PERIOD, they're gonna suck.

+ 245000

take stuff out of context much? you should get a job as a montreal reporter you would fit right in

How can I take it out of context when this sentence in your post has no link with the previous NOR the next sentence ???

Look at all the European teams (past/present) who have hired Canadian coaches ........... how many of them speak/spoke the "native" language? Sure there's less pressure/media BUT they do it to MAKE THEIR TEAM BETTER....

How do all these french reporters do interviews with visiting teams/players???? Thought so..........

heck, in Qc city and Longueuil (total for both of more than 1M) which are 2nd and 3rd biggest cities in the province of Quebec, you can barely find someone who understand english. And I'm not even talking about further down the st-laurent (in Gaspé, Rimousky) or in the Saguenay Lac St-Jean (all those little cities amount for half of the population of the province).

Yeeeeh, that's where my family is from (Gobeil). And my grandparents don't speak a word of english.

Ugh, so much arguing for nothing.

Reality #1: The Habs and it's sponsors (Bell, Desjardins, McDonald, Molson) market is Montreal and the province. That market is highly predominantly French-speaking. Marketing studies have proved for decades and decades that to appeal to the provincial market, you have to give them something they identify with. Truth of the matter is: the Habs coach is the person that receives most mediatic exposure in the province. He has to speak to the medias every day. It's inconceivable that every thing the coach says has to be translated every day. Inconceivable.

Reality #2: The Habs are expected to be an entry door for Quebec-born players and staff. Fans around the province, medias and politicians expect it. The team already got flack and lost fans for not drafting or signing Quebec-born players in the latest years. Getting a non-French speaking coach will be the last straw for many more fans in the province. With the economy dwindling and entertainment dollars getting more and more scarce, Bell can't afford people dropping their cable because all they wanted was to watch the Habs on RDS and now they are fed up with the team getting a coach they can't identify with.

You can whine and bitch and complain and argue and say whatever you want, if you ignore those 2 realities, chances are your opinion doesnt even matter in the first place. You're not the Habs' market. They dont have to please you.

So bitch away. Those who matters dont care.

True Kozed. A lot of posters here claimed that the Habs are not a governement establishement but a BUSINESS.

Exactly. And if someone thinks that a business can ignore his public and still make profits and be appreciated, this person clearly doesn't know much about a business.

True Kozed. A lot of posters here claimed that the Habs are not a governement establishement but a BUSINESS.

Exactly. And if someone thinks that a business can ignore his public and still make profits and be appreciated, this person clearly doesn't know much about a business.

They wouldn't lose a single dollar if they hired a coach who can't speak french. If you can't see how pathetic we look when this is so important, there's no point in going further.