Price gets the nod

bar

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=272497

Looks like Price gets the start tonight. It's a whole new season, of ten games, the habs need 15 pts, give or take to make the playoffs. Forget the past, just concentrate on the next save. The negativity surrounding this team is enough to bring anyone down, so lets try our best to be positive. Save your anger and venom for after the season, because you're not helping anyone now with it.

TLDR: Be positive!

Let's hope the team plays better in front of him.

Sorry, I can't be positive about this bonehead decision. There is way too much wrong with his game right now and confidence. Halak was weak Saterday but I overall has been head and shoulders hove Price.

Sorry, I can't be positive about this bonehead decision. There is way too much wrong with his game right now and confidence. Halak was weak Saterday but I overall has been head and shoulders hove Price.

I completely agree. If you play Price consistently when you shouldn't be (and it has been the wrong move for the past 7-8 starts) even if he does win one tonite it does not make BG a smart man. This is just another poor decision with Price. Of course if you just keep starting him he's eventually gonna win one, that is not rationale for strong coaching ability. The only place I would dream of starting Carey would be on the road in a weak building, starting him at home is potentially setting him up for another massive failure and crushing this poor kid even more.

actually, Halak is not that tall... Price is taller than him... ^_^

WHAT? Are you guys kidding? Carey should be the tender for the rest of the season. The only way he gets better is to start playing games and winning and having the team play well in front of him.

Halak is a good goalie, but he is not the future of this team. Yes, he played well for us over the period of a few weeks, but he is not the guy that is going to be in our net next year, and he is not the guy that has a "1993 Patrick Roy" type of run in him. IF Carey can regain some confidence and start playing well then anything is possible.

If we are going to get into the playoffs and beat the Bruins, it'll be Carey Price who leads us to victory.

Answer this question...

Is Halak capable of beating the Bruins or Devils in a 7 game series? I'm not sure!

Is Price capable of beating ANY team in the NHL if he improves? Absolutely.

And as far as starting him at home... Brilliant. The fans need to get behind this kid and let him know that we support him and that he is our guy.

I was disappointed a few games back when Price was playing well and made a couple huge saves and the crowd did not throw out the "Carey, Carey, Carey.." chant.

WE NEED TO DO THAT TONIGHT.

Lets stop bashing this team and start supporting it.

Answer this question...

Is Halak capable of beating the Bruins or Devils in a 7 game series? I'm not sure!

Is Price capable of beating ANY team in the NHL if he improves? Absolutely.

Umm hi, do you remember last year's playoffs at all? I know, I know, Price has had another full season to develop so he's more confident and more mature this year .... oh wait.

It is pressure like this that is ruining this poor kid. No, right now he isn't ready to "carry the team against all odds", have you seen PHI NJ play lately??? It would be a massacre.

Just because the team strategy is to have Price as our future goalie is no reason to toss away TODAY by playing him. If Halak struggles and we lose, we can run the poor guy out of town. If Price plays and loses (and his slumped shoulders and reactions after every goal tell me his head isn't in it), then we might destroy that future goalie.

Price has had enough chances to get his head back in this, we can't afford to give him more. I would let Halak play a few in a row before we decide he sucks too.

All I am saying is... This year, the Habs are only going to go as far as our goalie carries them. There is just no passion with most of our forwards/defencemen. So, who has the best chance of carrying us the furthest? Halak is good, but he is not going to steal a series for us. IF Price can get out of his funk and gain some support from us "fans", then his potential is unlimited. He could win a series or two or three, or get swept out in round 1. either eay, better to give him the shot of winning four then knowing Halak might win one or two.

Everyone is worrying abotu ruining Price, I think it's time he fought through this. I have all the confidence in the world he will, I think this is the right move to make, and I applaud the decision.

Good. I like that Price gets the nod since I think he can be better. He is bigger than Halak and that helps alot. I hope that the Habs ride Price the rest of the way so he can re-shape his game and have some confidence going into the playoffs. If we do get into the playoffs I dont think we can do it with a rotation type and have one guy fearing that if he makes a mistake he is out of the net. The only way Price gets some confidence is if he plays all the games and Know's that he is the guy.

Though it sucks for Halak its the right thing to do.

Bob did the same thing with Theodore, after Julien was fired. He was determined to give Theo the chance to straighten out his game. Regrettably that decision cost us a few games, as I recall, before Theo did us all a favour and smashed his heel, allowing Bob to go with Huet.

I'm not sure what this tells us, other than that Gainey tends to give his 'star' goalies a lot of rope. Hopefully Price will prove his GM right, where Theo proved him wrong.

I completely agree. If you play Price consistently when you shouldn't be (and it has been the wrong move for the past 7-8 starts) even if he does win one tonite it does not make BG a smart man. This is just another poor decision with Price. Of course if you just keep starting him he's eventually gonna win one, that is not rationale for strong coaching ability. The only place I would dream of starting Carey would be on the road in a weak building, starting him at home is potentially setting him up for another massive failure and crushing this poor kid even more.

Starting Carey tonight is that bad of an idea? Really?

I do understand everyone's frustration and comments on bad nights but to flat-out call this a poor decision and to start Price on the road with a weak team is grasping at straws plus calling Gainey out for every breath he takes. Dumb! Dumb and more Dumb.

Look. The team's mental state is bad, we all know that, we should also know that there is no simple right or wrong answer here. Just like the threads a year or two ago when everyone on these boards were calling Timmins a genius, Carey an All-Star, Koivu a champ, Higgins a 40/40 guy, Komi the next captain, Carbo the coach of the year, Big Boob a 50 goal man, In Bob we Trust, sign Kovalev now, Bruins suck, Come the frig on guys!!!!!!!!!! All this stuff can still happen you know, I'm sure you'll all let us know that you told us so too.

Are you serious that a simple season downfall can make you want to burn the team and make Maxim Lapierre a f**ckin captain????????? What's next Latendresse for coach next year? I thought you guys wanted Higgins to be captain or was it Chipchura everyone was chirpin about 1yr ago. What a joke. I hope they turn this ship around last minute just to shut you all up. Walking up to Higgins at dinner to tell him he sucks? That's going to help.

Cheer your team on for once when they are down, I know that's hard for most of you to do when you feel so entitled to a Stanley Cup every season.

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!! It's that simple.

Edited by HABBER-oooooKNOWS

Starting Carey tonight is that bad of an idea? Really?

I do understand everyone's frustration and comments on bad nights but to flat-out call this a poor decision and to start Price on the road with a weak team is grasping at straws plus calling Gainey out for every breath he takes. Dumb! Dumb and more Dumb.

Look. The team's mental state is bad, we all know that, we should also know that there is no simple right or wrong answer here. Just like the threads a year or two ago when everyone on these boards were calling Timmins a genius, Carey an All-Star, Koivu a champ, Higgins a 40/40 guy, Komi the next captain, Carbo the coach of the year, Big Boob a 50 goal man, In Bob we Trust, sign Kovalev now, Bruins suck, Come the frig on guys!!!!!!!!!! All this stuff can still happen you know, I'm sure you'll all let us know that you told us so too.

Are you serious that a simple season downfall can make you want to burn the team and make Maxim Lapierre a f**ckin captain????????? What's next Latendresse for coach next year? I thought you guys wanted Higgins to be captain or was it Chipchura everyone was chirpin about 1yr ago. What a joke. I hope they turn this ship around last minute just to shut you all up. Walking up to Higgins at dinner to tell him he sucks? That's going to help.

Cheer your team on for once when they are down, I know that's hard for most of you to do when you feel so entitled to a Stanley Cup every season.

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!! It's that simple.

and you sir are absolutely correct!

how exactly is price going to get through this? sleeping it off? crying in the dressing room? jerking off?

no he will get better by playing, we know he has the talent , but he ain't using sitting on the bench. Is watching halak going to make him better? no HE HAS TO PLAY. :ghg: :clap: :hlogo: :clap: :ghg: :hlogo:

Edited by habs rule

If only 2 players show up again it's not going to matter if Broduer is in the net. People forget Halak let up numerous softies in his last 2 games.

It's simple for me, win and you stay in.

You lose, try the other guy.

I agree... if Price plays good tonight, then he should stay in the rest of the way to keep getting better. Eventually a good goalie works out the kinks and plays great again!

I think the only way this team will win is Price or Halak posts a 45 shot shutout. Even then it may go to shootout.

Since there isn't a game thread i'll predict 5-2 thrashers. Outshot 42-26.

Only lapierre and Lats show up. Dandy and Higgins skate hard but nothing happens.

Markov is the only D tonight to look like an NHL defenseman.

The return of the thin white duke.....have not posted on here all season long; like to observe. But times are desperate and desperate times calls for superstition. Who the hell knows if Price is up for the challenge, but I agree if we're going to make the playoffs, we have to ride Price in because he gives us the potential for the best chance at winning in the playoffs. That said, it starts tonight- Lehtonin if I am not mistakjen has shut us out the last 2 games he has faced us. I'd like to say we turn the tables, but not quite- 3-1 Habs, Price plays well, defence tightens up, surrendering under 30 shots for the first time in......well you get the idea. I'm not about to call the scorers. That's all.

If Montreal misses the playoffs, touch wood they don't; can/will Price be sent down to Hamilton for the playoff run?

Good question, let's hope we don't have to find out. Something tells me that this is not possible but if anybody can confirm the rules on going down once a season is over please do tell.

Unless the rules would change because it's after the season: he would need to clear waivers to be sent down, but then would not require re-entry waivers (makes no difference).