Habs vs Atlanta : Game Thread

brobin

Wow, fark you.

I just spent 10 minutes checking the forum history for the sake of statistics and only once did i make a thread after the game started, so you can take your snarky sarcastic criticism and shove it up your ass. I don't call one miss '60%'. Sometimes the threads were only hours before the game, granted, but sometimes they were 3 days before the game; it depended on real life circumstances. In no way shape or form were 60% (or even close) of the game threads i made late or not made at all. I suggest you check the forum stats yourself before you make unsubstantiated bullshit claims. Wow.

If you want to spend hours and make the game threads, why don't you go ahead and do them yourself instead of being an asshole. Until then i politely suggest you shut the hell up.

:clap::clap::clap:

Did them last year in the series vs Boston and they take forever.

Just be glad someone's putting time to do them right.

Missed yours Cataclaw. Hope you will stick to your pledge despite the ungrateful remarks.

YOU'RE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scary that some people are being even more nasty to others when the team finally wins. ENJOY THE DAMN WIN! Rule one to follow for world peace, be nice to eachother.

Sorry, I allways get this way when I listen to satanic black metal. Satyricon ftw and go habs go.

Great effort by almost everyone out there tonight, but lets not get ahead of ourselves here. We beat ATL for christ's sake, this is a team we should be beating 6-3 every single time given where they perennially sit in the standings. But great for the room and great for Carey in particular, although 3g on 25 shots isnt anything to write home about, given his recent play it was exactly what he needed! I want to see this effort against a top quality team, and to me the playoffs are going to be foreshadowed by the three games played to end the regular season, all against playoff-bound teams if I remember correctly.

On a small side note, even though he did play a much better game tonight, Koivu took a terribad penalty at the beginning of the 2nd that ended up in an ATL ppg. Had Price not robbed Kovalchuk moments later, the game could've taken a significant turn. Saks is wearing the C for a reason, and although he's not expected to pot 40g he can't do that kind of shit either.

What a beauty game. I've been saying it for weeks, kovalev koivu and Tangs needs to play together, and boom!

Metro had a suspect game, maybe out Higgins in the centre spot between Dandy and Stewart?

Other than that I wouldn't change a thing.

WELCOME BACK MONTREAL. WE'VE MISSED YOU GUYS!

And say what you want about Price, but that glove save on Kovalchuk when it was 3-2 was HUGE! We scored a minute later to go up by 2. You think if that goes in do the Habs fall apart???????????

Well, it was a great game by almost everyone on the habs. It was obvious that the Plex-Kostitsyns line wasn't clicking, but yet, Gainey still had them out there for 1/2 of the PP. Why not give a chance to Lapierre and Latendresse? Play them with Tanguay(who was having an incredible night last night) on the PP. They have been our hottest three players for the past week.

It would have been nice to give the two kids a bone for their good play lately.

I also agree that Carey's glove save on Kovalchuk was HUGE!! If that goes in, the game is tied at 3, and our boys have to start over again.

As far as the whole Koivu debate goes... true that he played a good game, but i still think Saku has lost a step and should NOT be our number one centre next year. Not even sure if he should be our number 2 centre. However, Saku at 3 million$ per year, would be more than welcome.

Also, As of next year, i'd give the "C" to Komisarek. If the Stars management could ask Mike Modano to give up his "C", Koivu can give up his!

It was good to see my boy(#8) give a few solid body checks and block some shots again!

I just hope this is the beginning of a 9 game winning streak! ;);)

edit: I hope this is the beginning of a 25 game win streak! ;);)

Edited by Habsfan

Yea, a pretty good game. I will admit i didn't see that one coming. Man after one good game everyone wants all the UFA's resigned, Koivu and Kovalev are back. Someone mentioned it earlier, I STILL of the opinion that only Tanguay should be re signed at this point. 1 game won't change my mind. I wouldn't too excited about beating Atlanta.

Good News:

More then 2 players showed up

Price was real good, i'm sure he would want the second one back but he kept it close early .

They actually played semi hard for 2 periods

PP and Pk were real good

blocking alot of shots

Bad News:

Stupid penalties again, I guess when thye put in an effort they take dumb penalties (#11)

A no show in the first again

Man is the defense slow, Atlanta blew by those guys all night. Brisby is literally scared to go into a corner. What the heck was Schneider doing out there?

It will be interesting to see what team shows up Saturday. The bolts have no goaltending right now. Can they actually put 2 games togehter?

Price was real good, i'm sure he would want the second one back but he kept it close early .

Let's not forget who the shooter was. Ilya Kovalchuck! Probably one of the best shots in the league...and he was in the slot(within 20 feet of the net) Can't expect the Kid to stop everything! ON replays, it may have looked like a weak goal, but like I said, this is Kovalchuck we are talking about, not Brisebois or some other guy with a weak shot!

Edited by Habsfan

Well, it was a great game by almost everyone on the habs. It was obvious that the Plex-Kostitsyns line wasn't clicking, but yet, Gainey still had them out there for 1/2 of the PP. Why not give a chance to Lapierre and Latendresse? Play them with Tanguay(who was having an incredible night last night) on the PP. They have been our hottest three players for the past week.

It would have been nice to give the two kids a bone for their good play lately.

I also agree that Carey's glove save on Kovalchuk was HUGE!! If that goes in, the game is tied at 3, and our boys have to start over again.

As far as the whole Koivu debate goes... true that he played a good game, but i still think Saku has lost a step and should NOT be our number one centre next year. Not even sure if he should be our number 2 centre. However, Saku at 3 million$ per year, would be more than welcome.

Also, As of next year, i'd give the "C" to Komisarek. If the Stars management could ask Mike Modano to give up his "C", Koivu can give up his!

It was good to see my boy(#8) give a few solid body checks and block some shots again!

I just hope this is the beginning of a 9 game winning streak! ;);)

In Gainey's post game reaction he kept referring to the first line as Koivu's line, he seems to have a lot of respect for the guy. Expect to see him in a Habs Jersey with the C next season unless he himself decides to go elsewhere. Debate all you want amongst yourselves, I think I'll stick with Gainey's ideas. Gainey felt it was necessary to fire Carbo and put Koivu on the 1st line. Kind of tells you his role on the team is held in high regards. I do feel we need a big scoring centre(if available) but I definitely don't feel Komi is ready for the C that's for sure.

Plex and the kids will get hot and we'll have 3 lines pumping for the play-offs. Hopefully a cinderella story in the making. Geez, you think people hate us Habs fans now? If they went all the way after the season we've had would kill other hockey fans.

Speaking of Cinderella, Take it easy Cataclaw. No need to hire a lawyer and take it to peoples court. I distinctly remember game threads being late. They were nice but late. If you would like to get angry so be it, it doesn't change anything. Same with that stat thread you had in the Sticky's. You updated 2 or 3 times and stopped. No biggie, just saying. I guess it's the thought that counts, so thank-you. ^_^

Edited by HABBER-oooooKNOWS

....but lets not get ahead of ourselves here. We beat ATL for christ's sake...
I agree but on the other hand:

1) Sunday, March 8 - Calgary - Atlanta wins 5-2.

2) Thursday, March 12 - @ Edmonton Atlanta wins 4-3 OT.

3) Saturday, March 14 - @ Buffalo Atlanta wins 4-3 SO.

4) Monday, March 16 - Washington Atlanta wins 5-1.

I'm not going to sit here and say we beat the Red Wings or something and overexaggerate the win. But I'm not about to minimize it either. Atlanta has recently been a respectable force.

Point is Koivu fans support him. We don't come out of the woodwork only after a good game like some people. Even after 10 bad games we still have his back. Not hard to understand for someone who reads these boards as much as you do.......... You'd think. No swaying on these boards when it comes to the Man we all know and love as CAPTAIN K.

Which is why your analysis carries no weight. You love Koivu despite his obvious issues. When he has a bad game you like him, when he has a good game you orgasm. It is just like the Price love in...

Analysis means evaluating players without emotion.

Too many people on this board think that calling out a player or pointing out that they are not pulling their weight / don't belong on this team, means we don't support the team. That is horse pucky! I would have defended Koivu being on this team 5 years ago because his performance to price ratio warrented it. Not because of his past. These days, he has lost a step, struggles offensively, doesn't generate chances, and takes bad penalties when he gets out worked. Top that off with his questionable leadership (if he is such a great leader, why does our team constantly have effort and personality issues), then it seems warrented to point out that it is time for him to go. Why? Because I love the TEAM more then the individuals.

If you want to be a Koivu fan more then a Habs fan, feel free to follow him to his next team.

In Gainey's post game reaction he kept referring to the first line as Koivu's line, he seems to have a lot of respect for the guy. Expect to see him in a Habs Jersey with the C next season unless he himself decides to go elsewhere. Debate all you want amongst yourselves, I think I'll stick with Gainey's ideas. Gainey felt it was necessary to fire Carbo and put Koivu on the 1st line. Kind of tells you his role on the team is held in high regards. I do feel we need a big scoring centre(if available) but I definitely don't feel Komi is ready for the C that's for sure.

Too months ago, hiring Carbo was the best decision Gainey ever made....

Gainey is not going to trash Koivu, he has more class then that. (he is the GM, I can trash him all I want. :) ). That doesn't mean he won't let him go...

Which is why your analysis carries no weight. You love Koivu despite his obvious issues. When he has a bad game you like him, when he has a good game you orgasm. It is just like the Price love in...

Analysis means evaluating players without emotion.

Too many people on this board think that calling out a player or pointing out that they are not pulling their weight / don't belong on this team, means we don't support the team. That is horse pucky! I would have defended Koivu being on this team 5 years ago because his performance to price ratio warrented it. Not because of his past. These days, he has lost a step, struggles offensively, doesn't generate chances, and takes bad penalties when he gets out worked. Top that off with his questionable leadership (if he is such a great leader, why does our team constantly have effort and personality issues), then it seems warrented to point out that it is time for him to go. Why? Because I love the TEAM more then the individuals.

If you want to be a Koivu fan more then a Habs fan, feel free to follow him to his next team.

I look at it differently. I don't look at myself as an analyst, trying to dissect the team. I picture myself as a team member with emotion. Supporting and holding each other up, through bad times it gets crappy, but fun to celebrate when things go well-with emotion. I embrace my emotion not try and take it out. That is part of watching sports for me.

I'm not better then you and you are not better then me. Koivu is my favourite player and I want to see him win a cup in a Habs Jersey. I apologize if that pisses anybody off but it doesn't change how I feel. I still think he's got enough in him to inspire this team. You don't oh well.

Maybe you should stop being a Habs fan until Koivu is gone. :wacko:

[Gainey felt it was necessary to fire Carbo and put Koivu on the 1st line. Kind of tells you his role on the team is held in high regards./quote]

Bull! Gainey himself said that Carbo was his best acquisition, and that was 2 months ago!! The players wanted carbo gone, so bob did what was easiest!

Well, Koivu has lost a step in my opinion. The strange thing is that statistically, he's on pace for a 75-point season (rivalling his best year), and even in this dismal second half, I calculate that he's played at a 66-point clip for his last 20+ games. But it seems obvious to me, just watching, that he doesn't have the jets he used to.

These numbers make it practically impossible that he'll accept a substantial pay cut or substantially reduced role. Why would he? He can just point to the stats and say, "look, I'm as productive as I ever was."

I suspect that Gainey will err on the side of caution and re-sign him. But I really believe that it's a lot of smoke-and-mirrors at this point. Maybe Koivu is generating those points through more of a bump-and-grind style that can't be sustainable in the long run. And if he really has lost a step then it's inevitable that the points will dry up sooner rather than later. Anyway, I've gone from a Koivu believer to a Koivu sceptic, because I just don't see as effective a player as I used to see, numbers or not.

But last night? Great. No question about it!

Well, Koivu has lost a step in my opinion. The strange thing is that statistically, he's on pace for a 75-point season (rivalling his best year), and even in this dismal second half, I calculate that he's played at a 66-point clip for his last 20+ games. But it seems obvious to me, just watching, that he doesn't have the jets he used to.

These numbers make it practically impossible that he'll accept a substantial pay cut or substantially reduced role. Why would he? He can just point to the stats and say, "look, I'm as productive as I ever was."

I suspect that Gainey will err on the side of caution and re-sign him. But I really believe that it's a lot of smoke-and-mirrors at this point. Maybe Koivu is generating those points through more of a bump-and-grind style that can't be sustainable in the long run. And if he really has lost a step then it's inevitable that the points will dry up sooner rather than later. Anyway, I've gone from a Koivu believer to a Koivu sceptic, because I just don't see as effective a player as I used to see, numbers or not.

Saku is my favourite player, but it's clear he has lost a step. And although I'm sure he could point to his still-somewhat productive numbers and demand the same salary, I doubt he will do so. He's well aware that he is on the decline, and that his numbers will follow suit. He's not going to play for nothing, but in my opinion he will play for substantially less.

Saku is my favourite player, but it's clear he has lost a step. And although I'm sure he could point to his still-somewhat productive numbers and demand the same salary, I doubt he will do so. He's well aware that he is on the decline, and that his numbers will follow suit. He's not going to play for nothing, but in my opinion he will play for substantially less.

Koivu has been in decline for a while, of that there's no doubt. I think the issue is more where he's been in decline from. Some would have us believe that he's in decline from an already useless player.

I'm more interested in seeing how he can adapt his game and how he comports himself in terms of dollars and cents. I still think he's capable of producing solid point-scoring seasons, but I think he has to adjust his game somewhat. Rather than being the out-and-out aggressive player he used to be (and sometimes still tries to be), he needs to start playing through experience and intelligence more. That kind of adjustment will offer him another few years of relative productivity.

As far as contract goes, I suspect he'll be accepting a pay cut if for no other reason than the economy. On top of that, though, is the hometown discount he'll agree to because he's spoken out about remaining a Canadien for life. He's never been in this for the dollars; his contract negotiations in the past are a clear indication of that. He's also a smart guy - how many other players have come to management during their prime to say that he *wanted* to sign a one-year extension at no increase because he hadn't proven anything on the ice?

I used to feel that Koivu was fine to resign at a reasonable price and just move him down the depth chart... BUT!

I truely think we need to gut the leadership and there is no way to keep him and take the C off his chest. I want the C off him, so I want him gone. I do understand that some people don't agree and think he is a great leader and can keep the C... to each his own.

The second issue I have is his role. He is an effective 2nd line centre and I have been in favor of him moving back to that, Pleks to the 3rd line. That said, he is too weak to play the 3rd or 4th line roles. So the real question is can he be our 2nd line guy for X years more, or should we let him go and give that role to Pleks?

I hope we can all agree he isn't good enough to be the number one centre on a contending team.

Man, it's hilarious. Every thread either has to be a Price/Halak or Koivu/worthless thread. I'm not in either camp of "we need to keep Koivu, he's the heart and soul" or "dump the worthless bum". But you know what, he had a good game last night, tallied 3 points, had one legit lazy penalty, and one phantom hooking call against him.

While not wanting to place too much (if any) importance on this game, Montreal played a decent game. Can't fans just be happy with a win for a change? Does there have to be a negative spin on everything? Seems like people have Boone-itis.

He is on pace for 62 pts. He is no longer an impact player, anything more than 3M is wasted money in a cap system.