Ribeiro slams Koivu

rafikz

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Koivu could never stand Ribs. Nothing new here. Ribeiro is only saying what everybody knew for a long time already.

The real question is "why?". Ribeiro was cocky for sure, but that in itself isnt a good enough reason to explain the hatred.

check out the Michel Blanchard interview with Ribs on cyberpresse.ca, he has too much of a boner for Ribeiro.

To be honest, right now, if we had a center on pace for 75 pts, I'd have a boner for him too. 

Performance on the ice aside, it's easy to dislike Ribs... so i don't blame Saku for that. Is Ribeiro exaggerating a little bit, perhaps, we'll never know. In any case, Ribeiro needs to STFU and stop trying to stir up shit.

Heck, even i don't like Ribeiro, and i'm Portuguese!!

To be honest, right now, if we had a centre on pace for 75 pts, I'd have a boner for him too. 

Lang :rolleyes:

Koivu could never stand Ribs. Nothing new here. Ribeiro is only saying what everybody knew for a long time already.

The real question is "why?". Ribeiro was cocky for sure, but that in itself isnt a good enough reason to explain the hatred.

with hindsight...

the "tres amigos" were less noxious

than

the koivu gang with Rivet, Ryder etc.

theo and ribs never had the same kind of negative impact ryder had last season... and never got put aside like rivet for "dark" locker room negative leadership issue. they also never gang banged against a player like koivu reportedly did against ribs.

so while all the while we thought that ribs was the black sheep.... maybe all along it was koivu with his tantrums... maybe the story about brière not coming here because koivu has to be #1 center is true.

too much maybes in this post... maybe it isn't worth reading it or writing it to start with.

maybe.

Here's the link if anyone wants to read it.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hockey/20...-de-travers.php

I have to Admit that blanchard(the Author of the article) does have a boner for Ribs, doesn't change the fact that what Ribs is saying is nothing new. He's just confirming what most of us thought!

Like KoZed said, if we had a centre who in the past 3 years scored 210 points, I'd have a stiffy as well!

with hindsight...

the "tres amigos" were less noxious

than

the koivu gang with Rivet, Ryder etc.

Well, Gainey basically got rid of both, for what's it worth. Maybe we were supposed to keep Ryder, he's why we're downhill this year!

Honestly, another media "story" drumming something up where there's nothing new to report. Wee. So with Ribs, we'd be challenging for the Cup (or at least with Boston in the NE)? I never knew he was the dominant centre we were looking for. :rolleyes:

Ribeiro is basically saying that from the time he arrived with the habs, Koivu never liked him. Koivu would take a pleasure at hitting him during practices. Ribs says that he had no problems hitting koivu back. He also says that Koivu is the One who started calling them (Ribs, Theodore, Dagenais) "Los tres Amigos". Ribs says that he doesn't understand why it was such a big deal. He was friends wityh Theodore and Dagenais, why was that a problem with Koivu? Koivu was friends with Rivet and Souray afterall...

He also says that if the Habs brass had a problem with Ribs "off-ice" behaviour, Management never told him anything about it...they simpy traded him away.

It oges on to say that he's happy in dallas. Blanchard(the guy who wrote the article) says that even though morrow has been injured for a long period of time, Ribs is still rpoducing, and that the people who say that Ribs was producing because he was playing with morrow, should check out morrow's stats. he had the best year of his carre playing alongside Ribs.

Ribeiro as away of making people not like him, its the way he comes across..you see him in interviews and he reminds you of that dick in high school you what to punch in the mouth...spezza does the same thing to me when i see him on tv, drives me nuts...

To be honest, right now, if we had a centre on pace for 75 pts, I'd have a boner for him too. 

those stupid rapper hats alone were enough to make me hate him.

the reality is, i dont think he ever would have put up those numbers here. he needed a kick in the pants to grow up a bit. to his credit, he's matured and turned into a good hockey player. he's a classic "needed a change of scenery" type guy. wish gainey would have received more from him in the trade though.....

I didn't want to bring it up in the game thread because he had scored the winner and I didn't want to be negative, but I have to wonder about Koivu's disposition towards teammates who aren't his buddies. Did anyone else notice the tantrum he threw when Hamrlik's high wrister from the point caught Koivu in the face by accident? He was yelling at him and staring daggers at him all the way to the bench. Then, when on the bench, he kept shooting him dirty looks and jawing away at him. Not sure if they camera caught this all that well on RDS, but they sure got it on TSN. I thought it was ridiculous.

I didn't want to bring it up in the game thread because he had scored the winner and I didn't want to be negative, but I have to wonder about Koivu's disposition towards teammates who aren't his buddies. Did anyone else notice the tantrum he threw when Hamrlik's high wrister from the point caught Koivu in the face by accident? He was yelling at him and staring daggers at him all the way to the bench. Then, when on the bench, he kept shooting him dirty looks and jawing away at him. Not sure if they camera caught this all that well on RDS, but they sure got it on TSN. I thought it was ridiculous.

He was actually yelling at Hammer to keep shooting the pucks. He only looked pissed because he took a slapshot to the face.

Pierre Maguire could, and he commented on it.

Ah, that's relieving to hear....you'd hope he wouldn't do anything to discourage one of our point men from shooting with a screen in front....it happens so damn rarely as it is!!! If he's going to chew out a d-man, let it be for passing instead of shooting.

Edited by sbhatt

the reality is, i dont think he ever would have put up those numbers here. he needed a kick in the pants to grow up a bit. to his credit, he's matured and turned into a good hockey player. he's a classic "needed a change of scenery" type guy. wish gainey would have received more from him in the trade though.....

I agree the change of scenery did him good. But I believe he could have matured here with Theo & Dagenais out of the picture. I wrote a lenghty defense of Ribeiro only a few weeks before he got traded, and I dissected his slow and rocky but constant progress. I'm not overly nostalgic of him, but I believe Gainey was too hasty in trading him, partially because he felt the need to side with his captain and his buddies. Now it looks like a completely foolish move, but like I said in the Kostitsyn thread, hindsight is always 20/20.

Sounds like Koivu was acting as a REAL LEADER in that Hammer exchange, doesn`t it ^_^ I`m sure Macguire`s account will do little to quell this incident being used as further fodder for the Koivu-haters, however. :rolleyes:

As for Ribeiro, I don`t think he needed a change of scenery at all. He had gradually improved and determinedly addressed every weakness in his game that the organization demanded he address on a season-by-season basis (skating, faceoffs, defensive play). True, his last year with us was a step backward from the preceding season, but that sort of two-step-forward, one-step-back is very common for young players.

Nor do I accept that he never would have been as good with us. While I think Morrow made or makes a difference, the fact remains that we traded Ribs just as he was entering his prime. It`s perfectly plausible to suppose that he would have eventually bagged significantly more than his previous career-high of 65 points had he stayed with us.

The lesson is: don`t trade good young players just as they enter their prime! Something to bear in mind.

It seems clear, in retrospect, that Gainey traded Ribeiro because there was a rift in the room between Ribs and Saks. Under those circumstances, in that context, it was really quite reasonable to choose Koivu over Ribeiro and deal the latter. (And I doubt you could have gotten a top-4 defenceman for Ribeiro at that point; so a former all-star in his early thirties who had a reasonable prospect of recovering his game after a couple of tough seasons wasn`t that bad a gamble, even if it didn`t pan out). Nonetheless, it`s surprising that, if that`s the case, Gainey didn`t first make more of an effort to reconcile the two. (Unless he did, and it failed).

Finally, remember that Plekanec never would have emerged as even potentially a top-2 C if he had been playing behind Koivu and Ribeiro. His all-around game last year was arguably just as valuable as what Ribeiro brings even if the point totals were less gaudy. Why, if Pleks had actually had a decent season this year, I might even argue that we in effect traded Ribs for Pleks and that that is a decent deal...but now I cant say that, alas :angry:

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber