Ribeiro slams Koivu

rafikz

St-Saku, pray for us.

:rolleyes:

Of course Koivu wanted to stay here. He's an underachieving injury-waiting-to-happen 2nd-rate centre whose being paid, protected by the owner and put on a pedestal by clueless fans as if he was a future Hall-of-Famer champion. I'd stay in Montreal too if I had such low expectations to meet to be worshipped.

I won't discuss the validity of your claims, but geez your koivu-bashing gets ######in old.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't discuss the validity of your claims, but geez your koivu-bashing gets ######in old.

As does the Koivu worship that goes on around here.

The truth is usually found somewhere in the middle...but some figures are very polarizing to the extreme ends of the scale and Koivu is one of those figures.

Edited by sbhatt

As does the Koivu worship that goes on around here.

The truth is usually found somewhere in the middle...but some figures are very polarizing to the extreme ends of the scale and Koivu is one of those figures.

Fair enough, seems like every GDT has at least a few posts of koz bitching about something Saks has done though. Don't see the Koivu worship going to that extent.

Talk about beating the dead horse...

Fair enough, seems like every GDT has at least a few posts of koz bitching about something Saks has done though. Don't see the Koivu worship going to that extent.

You must be kidding me..... :wacko:

another thing is birds of a feather flock together and where is ribs buddy dag these days..i think koivu buddy rivs is wearing a C somewhere and some guy name mark is doing ok in boston...lol

ok i stop starting shit now and enjoy the game..

Edited by KEEP26

another thing is birds of a feather flock together and where is ribs buddy dag these days..i think koivu buddy rivs is wearing a C somewhere and some guy name mark is doing ok in boston...lol

ok i stop starting shit now and enjoy the game..

Mark?

I have said several times that the Koivu era needs to end. The idea however that Koivu was scared of Ribs' potential is nuts.

Ribs was a superstar, rock star personality in Montreal. He went to Dallas and suddenly he was a freaking nobody. He CLEARLY changed his attitude and lived up to that potential. Have you seen him in interviews lately? He sounds like a totally different person.

I want Koivu gone (and please God, Kovalev too) but what you suggest is insane.

IMO

If you remember, Ribs was our top guy one year. After that, Koivu seemed to have an attitude. The next year, Ribs was off a bit and there was tension in practice with Koivu. At the end of the year, Ribs was united with Kovy and they started to generate some chemistry. Ribs signed a contract with Gainey and came into camp as Kovy's centre. It was being lined up as the number one line and they looked pretty decent in exhibition. Suddenly, Ribs gets traded for zero. Kovy was not happy being paired with Pleks (who at the time was a potential number 3 guy). Kovy was clearly ticked that Ribs was traded. It took months for Pleks and Kovy to get it going, but they did and were a hot line. They were clearly the number one line last year. Carbo gave them the top PP time, the most minutes, etc. I don't think Koivu liked Carbo because Carbo viewed him as what he was.. a FORMER number one.

In any case, I understand why Gainey would choose Koivu over Ribs, but I got a bad taste in my mouth for Koivu then, since I expect a true leader to swallow his pride and embrace a young talent like Ribs. People say Ribs needed a kick in the pants, or Morrow to mature. My view is that if Koivu was the leader people make him out to be, Ribs would have matured here. :)

While I agree that Ribs had a bit of "Home town hero" syndrome, he doesn't sound any different to me now then he did in our last year with him. He had kids, he had a hard year, he was somewhat humbled. Remember he took skating lesson and did more weight work that summer. He said in interviews (with the Habs) that he needed to work harder if he expected to succeed. That is when I took notice of Ribs "growing up". We traded him after that. :)

In any case, I don't look down on him for what he said. I think he is doing us a favor. Some people here view every issue with Koivu in terms of "Koivu can do no wrong, the other guy is a wrong". Its time people here wake up to the fact that while Koivu was a good player and a great inspiration for many of our "dark times", he is not a saint. He is not perfect. He is not always right. (nor is he always wrong to be fair).

Sorry, I am blathering.. too much wine.. but then I was drunk the last two games and we won.. so being a true fan of the HABS!, I am doing my part with a lovely Bordeaux...

if you all like Ribeiro so much and what he got to say, i heard dallas is looking for some fans...

LOL.. because if you don't like every habs player, or respect players on other teams, or heaven forbid, think Gainey made some mistakes.. then you are not a habs fan...

Real Fans analysis and debate the team, its moves, and it players. They don't always agree, but they don't just worship everyone on the team without thought. Wamsley and I couldn't agree less on some of the goalie decisions, but I have never considered him not a fan. Wamsley would still like Price as a goalie if we traded him to Toronto tomorrow, but I am sure Wamsley would still root for the habs to beat him :)

LOL.. because if you don't like every habs player, or respect players on other teams, or heaven forbid, think Gainey made some mistakes.. then you are not a habs fan...

Real Fans analysis and debate the team, its moves, and it players. They don't always agree, but they don't just worship everyone on the team without thought. Wamsley and I couldn't agree less on some of the goalie decisions, but I have never considered him not a fan. Wamsley would still like Price as a goalie if we traded him to Toronto tomorrow, but I am sure Wamsley would still root for the habs to beat him :)

thats not what i said, i just let people know that dallas is looking for fans...why take its so presonal.. i didnt point anyone out..iam just helping the nhl out with fan support...

Oh, true, traded at the deadline.

(I should know I have him in my pool for crissake). He was doing better in TB with Vinny though... :P

if better is playing with a team that cant make the playoffs, i think i much like not playing as good on a team that got a chance at the cup( unless they play the habs in the playoff, then there going down) :P

Since 2000:

4 times we made the playoffs

2001-2002: 1st in scoring: Perreault.

2003-2004: 1st in scoring: Ribeiro,

2005-2006: 1st in scoring: Kovalev,

2007-2008: 1st in scoring: Kovalev

3 times we missed the playoffs

2001-2002: 1st in scoring: Koivu

2002-2003: 1st in scoring: Koivu

2006-2007: 1st in scoring: Koivu

So by that trend, since Koivu wont finish 1st in scoring this year, we're almost a lock to make the playoffs. :P

if better is playing with a team that cant make the playoffs, i think i much like not playing as good on a team that got a chance at the cup( unless they play the habs in the playoff, then there going down) :P

Boston really slowed down lately.

Boston really slowed down lately.

yea but i think they still got a chance to make the playoffs....lol..on like lighting...not sure what your point was...

Ribeiro is basically saying that from the time he arrived with the habs, Koivu never liked him. Koivu would take a pleasure at hitting him during practices. Ribs says that he had no problems hitting koivu back. He also says that Koivu is the One who started calling them (Ribs, Theodore, Dagenais) "Los tres Amigos". Ribs says that he doesn't understand why it was such a big deal. He was friends wityh Theodore and Dagenais, why was that a problem with Koivu? Koivu was friends with Rivet and Souray afterall...

He also says that if the Habs brass had a problem with Ribs "off-ice" behaviour, Management never told him anything about it...they simpy traded him away.

It oges on to say that he's happy in dallas. Blanchard(the guy who wrote the article) says that even though morrow has been injured for a long period of time, Ribs is still rpoducing, and that the people who say that Ribs was producing because he was playing with morrow, should check out morrow's stats. he had the best year of his carre playing alongside Ribs.

Thanks for the translation for the maudit anglais. More comfortable with the Koivu, Rivet, Souray gang. This was a display of leadership by Koivu, just like he was with Grabowski. He doesnt abide slackers. You want to fault anyone it should be Gainey. Janne Niinama!

thats not what i said, i just let people know that dallas is looking for fans...why take its so presonal.. i didnt point anyone out..iam just helping the nhl out with fan support...

ROFL... I hope you can help Phoenix, Atlanta, Tampa... oh hell, get a list from Bettman, its too long to type. :)

Hey, KoZed or KoZus, tell us, how did you end up with those names.......?? Remember me, from ESPN board? (KoivuZednik or KoivuZubrus... or what?) Pissed off this stupid stupid debate, WE as Habs fans should cheer for them ALL, and give them our support! Stop this stupid player bashing! Anyhow, it's 0410 am here in Finland, and I'm watching game...in french, cannot understand at all, but I'm still watching 'cause I LOVE this team, AND I loved this team before Saku came in to town...... I even have Captain Kirk's shirt wich I had to order from MTL, and cost was then almost my one weeks salary....so AM I FAN OR WHAT? Anyhow, cheers to all! Go Habs Go!!! :hlogo: :hlogo:

ps. Hopefully everybody understands, my english isn't so good....

Hey, KoZed or KoZus, tell us, how did you end up with those names.......?? Remember me, from ESPN board? (KoivuZednik or KoivuZubrus... or what?)

KoZus, Holy Crap, haven't seen that name since forever lol. Yes it was KoivuZubrus then KoivuZednik. Just proved I once was a believer too but since then has seen the light. :P

You know, that Koivu *perhaps* doesn't get on well with Kovalev and Ribeiro just might tell us something. Both of the latter are/were erratic prima donas with a habit of not playing up to their talent level. (Yes, Ribs has matured now, but few have argued that he was a mature, responsible, character guy when he was with us). Sure, maybe Koivu is an attention-hog threatened by elite talent (but then why was he best pals with Recchi?); or maybe, just maybe, he hates erratic prima donas with a habit of not playing up to their talent level.

And good for him if he does. ^_^

You know, that Koivu *perhaps* doesn't get on well with Kovalev and Ribeiro just might tell us something. Both of the latter are/were erratic prima donas with a habit of not playing up to their talent level. (Yes, Ribs has matured now, but few have argued that he was a mature, responsible, character guy when he was with us). Sure, maybe Koivu is an attention-hog threatened by elite talent (but then why was he best pals with Recchi?); or maybe, just maybe, he hates erratic prima donas with a habit of not playing up to their talent level.

And good for him if he does. ^_^

Ribs was a relative kid when he played with us. He needed a mentor, not a judgmental prick. :)

For the record, I am no more happy with Kovy then I am with Koivu. Both need to go imo.

Ribs was a relative kid when he played with us. He needed a mentor, not a judgmental prick. :)

For the record, I am no more happy with Kovy then I am with Koivu. Both need to go imo.

Ribs was a prick, is a prick and always will be a prick.

If he was a russian, finn, czech, american, english canadian or even chinese we wouldn't be having this pointless thread, and there wouldn't be a article by some journalist, becuase there would be general consensus that Ribs was a prick, is a prick and always will be a prick.