Panthers/Habs sched...

TheDriveFor25

Florida has @Dallas, home v Ottawa, home v. Atlanta, home v Pittsburgh, at Philly, at Atlanta, and home versus Washington

I'm guessing they win 4 or 5 of those matchups, giving them 93 pts!

Montreal has home v Buffalo, home v Chicago, at NYI, at Tor, home v Ottawa, at NYR, at Boston, home v. Pitts

I'm guessing they win 6 games, giving them 97 Pts!

I'm FREAKING out... WE GOTTA GET IN!

CAREY! CAREY! CAREY!

I dont care if we dont make the playoffs.

the cleanup will just be even more drastical...

if we make the playoffs, it might give us the illusion that we should keep koivu and kovalev.

if we miss the playoffs... the only right decision would be to let them walk. i hope.

if we make the playoffs, it might give us the illusion that we should keep koivu and kovalev.

if we miss the playoffs... the only right decision would be to let them walk. i hope.

I can smell the optimism from a mile away

One thing I wanna mention, we're not so far behind the teams infront of us.

Phil 9 90

Car 6 89

Pit 7 89

NYR 7 87

MTL 8 85

The middle number is the games in hand. Philly might be unreachable, but I don't think we should just aim for 8th, all the way to 5th is up for grabs.

Well, I'm not a schedule watcher. I've seen too many teams blow easy schedules, and too many teams clobber their way through hard ones, to be very interested in that. As the players say: one game at a time!!

What I want is for the team to start rolling like the machine that it is capable of being. If you're gonna go down, go down with your 'A' game, goddamit.

As for the 'cleanup' alexstream pines for: well, other than Koivu or Kovalev, I'm not sure what that means. It's clear we need an upgrade on those two guys, and I'm sure Gainey will try to effect it. But doing that via the UFA route will sure be a lot easier if we make the playoffs and play well in them! So I can see NO way in which missing the playoffs helps this organization. Especially if you consider that missing the playoffs could lead to Gainey himself being axed.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

As for the 'cleanup' alexstream pines for: well, other than Koivu or Kovalev, I'm not sure what that means. It's clear we need an upgrade on those two guys, and I'm sure Gainey will try to effect it. But doing that via the UFA route will sure be a lot easier if we make the playoffs and play well in them!

So true...the cream of the UFA crop are a lot less likely to sign with teams they see as 'non-contenders'.

Edited by sbhatt

no matter what happens I would sign Koivu and let Kovalev walk.

I would also resign

K-Rex

Tanguay

K-Top

Lang( for one year at $1-$1.5 million)

spidey if you can get Lang to sign at 1.5 million you need o be gm cause that would be amazing.

I suggested that amount for a one year deal because of his age, Lang will be 40 years old next season and imo thats more that enough for a guy who will proabbly be playing in the final year of his career.

Seems like every thread is going off topic.

About the schedule, i only watch what happens short term, in that case

up to next Saturday.

Monday

New-Jersey vs Rags ... The Devils hate those Rags, hope they spank them. That would give us two game in hand.

Tuesday

Hawks vs Habs... I don't like these out of conference games at the end of the regular season, anyway the Habs will face Huet for the

first time. That will be tough yet possible. Huet owes big to O'byrne maybe he could let one go in his net. Opponent net Ryan.

Ottawa vs Florida...Ottawa is hot right now, Elliot is gaining the number 1 job and the team is gonna give a tough time to ex coach Martin.

Thurday

Rags vs Carolina... Rags will have a tough week, Carolina don't ask me where it came from have won their 6 last games and are very tough to beat at

home. Maybe because of the cheerleaders or is it the Samsonov effect ??

Mtl vs Isles... Ok enough of this Streit and Danis dominating the Habs. Over.

Friday

Atlanta vs Florida

Seems like an easy one for the Panthers

My hopes for saturday morning would be

7 Montreal 89pts

8 Rags 88 pts

9 Florida 87 pts

Well the next three games against CHI NYI TOR this week are really going to show the fortitude of this team. They need 5-6 points, 4 would be a bare minimum, and anything less than that is epic fail on home ice. These are the last of the coaster games in front of the home crowd, and 2 of 3 opponents are already mathematically eliminated.

No more of the excuses/bs about "they are tough to play because they are loose and playing for pride etc" .... these teams are below in the standing for a reason and there is absolutely ZERO excuse for losing to them this close to the playoffs. With the final 4 games mostly being against legit contenders, these next three absolutely have to be looked at as necessary points to make it in.

Let's see how they respond.

Well said Alexstream. People can guess and speculate all they want about this team and what others will do.

The simple problem is the there are only teams with less points then the habs since the all star break, the Kings and Lightning i beleive. That doesn't make me feel good about a run or the habs even getting in.

We'll see, maybe i'm wrong but the ultimate failure will bring the needed majaor changes to the roster.

I don't understand some peoples feelings towards this team. When did you lose faith and become so jaded? The playoffs are a whole new season. Upsets happen, 8 seeds make it to the finals, am I only one excited about the playoffs?

I don't understand some peoples feelings towards this team. When did you lose faith and become so jaded? The playoffs are a whole new season. Upsets happen, 8 seeds make it to the finals, am I only one excited about the playoffs?

I am, but then again I'm a Habs fan. Seems to have gone out of style.

As it stands right now, the key to making the playoffs is the second line. Andrei's back in tomorrow night, and hopefully he can give that line the boost it needs to pot a few goals.

If that line can support our new top line, we should be alright.

As it stands right now, the key to making the playoffs is the second line. Andrei's back in tomorrow night, and hopefully he can give that line the boost it needs to pot a few goals.

If that line can support our new top line, we should be alright.

Agreed...as we saw in the Buffalo game, the first line can't do it alone if we want to win consistently. Plex/A.Kost have to manufacture a goal between them for the Habs to be successful.

Well, I'm not a schedule watcher. I've seen too many teams blow easy schedules, and too many teams clobber their way through hard ones, to be very interested in that. As the players say: one game at a time!!

What I want is for the team to start rolling like the machine that it is capable of being. If you're gonna go down, go down with your 'A' game, goddamit.

As for the 'cleanup' alexstream pines for: well, other than Koivu or Kovalev, I'm not sure what that means. It's clear we need an upgrade on those two guys, and I'm sure Gainey will try to effect it. But doing that via the UFA route will sure be a lot easier if we make the playoffs and play well in them! So I can see NO way in which missing the playoffs helps this organization. Especially if you consider that missing the playoffs could lead to Gainey himself being axed.

So true. The Habs have also been able to catch Lightning in a bottle out of nowhere the last 3-4 years.

Trying to analyze probabilities goes out the window at this time of year.

In 2007 the Habs looked to be in good shape, all they needed to do was get 5 points in their last 5 games to qualify, considering they had just earned 14 of a possible 16 it seemed like a good bet. They got 4!! The Isles with Wade Dubielewicz needed to get 8 points in 4 games and managed to sweep their final 4 and beat the Habs by 1 point.

Win tomorrow then worry about Thursday. Win Thursday and worry about Sat and so on until you clinch a spot.

Everything else is just individuals trying to calm their nerves and make them feel better in the moment.

Now it's not only between the Habs and the Panthers.

For most team it's 12 pts capacity.

Let's say that for the Pens are now just 2pts ahead of Montreal at 8th seed

Let's say they have to face New Jersey-Carolina and Panthers ona 4 day strech and end the season against Montreal.

Let's say the Rags have to face Carolina and Montreal.

Not every team can eat those two points.

Carolina will have to fight to keep those points they can easily go down too.

Anything can happen. That is simply great.

Well, while we are one point out of 9th, we are 4 points behind 4th place in the East. Talk about tight... Our next two games are should wins though. Playing at the level we are now, NY and Toronto shouldn't be too much of a problem.