Mar. 31/09 | Chicago vs. Montréal | Game Thread

Spider-Man NL

Zone coverage only looks better because the forwards arent floating around the blue line anymore and the defensemen skate harder. The rest is the same. Price pulled some big saves that would have been goals a month ago and he also had some lucky breaks.

They're playing with urgency, that's the only real difference maker.

So even if you think things were that basic, it's finally been drilled into the forwards to maintain gap control. Something they NEVER did under Carbo - from the time he was brought in as coach. Does this mean they didn't listen to him for three years (obviously a leadership problem), or did he just not communicate this system appropriately.

19 shots against after two. That's more than respectable against a big offensive club like the Hawks.

Nevermind. You know best.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So even if you think things were that basic, it's finally been drilled into the forwards to maintain gap control. Something they NEVER did under Carbo - from the time he was brought in as coach. Does this mean they didn't listen to him for three years (obviously a leadership problem), or did he just not communicate this system appropriately.

19 shots against after two. That's more than respectable against a big offensive club like the Hawks.

They did that many times under Carbo... they didn't do it in Feb under Carbo or March under Gainey either.

Gainey or Carbo is doesn't matter in my opinion. We are playing better period which has more to do with it being late down the stretch. We are still not a top team by any stretch.

:rolleyes:

Urgency.

You dont need a system or a freaking seminar for players to know how to win one-on-one battles along the boards and separate the puck carrier from the puck.

You need a guy that is willing to get there first, take a hit, give a hit. You need emotion, intensity, purpose, urgency.

Now they're on the verge of missing the playoffs and they have Florida breathing down their necks, now they feel urgency.

Now they are willing to get to the puck first, take a hit, give a hit... more than before. Still not enough because we're still pinned in our zone for some long periods of time and we're still creating way too many turnovers along the boards. But the players are battling harder.

Oh, and not having your goalie allow 4 softies per game helps make your D not look as inept and doesnt destroys the team morale.

Florida is currently in 8th.. we need to win.. but even still, I wish those bums would stop hanging so close.. this season might be going down to the very last game again.

This PP should seal the deal....

Florida is currently in 8th.. we need to win.. but even still, I wish those bums would stop hanging so close.. this season might be going down to the very last game again.

This PP should seal the deal....

I am not looking backwards.

At 88 points they are one point behind the Rangers with a game in hand

They are 3 points behind the Canes with one game in hand.

The Rangers and Canes play each other next. A Rangers win and the Habs are 3 points behind with two in hand

and would be 3 points behind the Canes with 2 in hand. A Canes win in Reg means they are 1 pt behind the Rangers

with 2 games in hand.

Then the Pens are only 2 up and the Habs have a head to head at home with them.

They are still in contention for 5th place.

Edited by Wamsley01

Well, this team is finally battling and playing hard. Still don't think they have the talent to compete against the top 3 in the east, but at least they are not embarrassing themselves like they had been.

Will be interesting to see how they deal with Hammer if he is out for a bit. Maybe Dandy will just play back for a bit...

Huge Win for the Habs. I didnt watch the game but i assume that Price played pretty good as well as the Habs played good.

NHL network said the both Hamrlik and a Kostitsyn went down and did not return. What Kostitsyn was it?

Very solid game for the Habs.

Solid on offense, created a lot of good chances.

Somewhat solid on defense, gave up a little too much good chances.

Solid on PP.

Solid on PK.

VERY Solid between the pipes.

The refs : liquid.... Worst refing of the season IMO.

Work interfered with a good bit of the game for me, but I was able to kinda pay attention to most of it. Happy with the 4-1 result. Kinda annoyed with the Hu-et chants, but oh well, used to it by now. Hopefully the start of a good week for the team!