Apr. 2/09 | Montréal vs. New York | Game Thread

Spider-Man NL

This is as it should be. The boys played well and are getting their act together. The cup is a glimmer in the distance but it can be seen.

oh yeah and thanks for saving our ass Bob

Edited by habs rule

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice stat there by Habs centers.

Faceoff W -L - %

Koivu : 10-6-63%

Lapierre : 14-3-82%

Plekanec : 8-6-57%

Metropolit : 8-5-62%

It means that we had puck possession 66% of the time on faceoffs : :clap:

Yes...is it premature to start demanding some props to Bob 'He Must Have Been Crazy to Fire Carbo and He's Not Doing Any Better and He Signed Samsonov and the Habs Should Fire Him!!!' Gainey? We wouldn't want anything positive to disrupt the 'Carbo was the 2nd Coming of Toe Blake' narrative that everbody suddenly rallied to after Guy was fired.

Yes...is it premature to start demanding some props to Bob 'He Must Have Been Crazy to Fire Carbo and He's Not Doing Any Better and He Signed Samsonov and the Habs Should Fire Him!!!' Gainey? We wouldn't want anything positive to disrupt the 'Carbo was the 2nd Coming of Toe Blake' narrative that everbody suddenly rallied to after Guy was fired.

Let's not forget that Bob had seen the calendar before firing Carbo. He knew that the Habs were playing 11 of their last 16 games at home. He knew the schedule favored him.

In any case, Carbo was fired, that's the end of that, i don'T want to start another Carbo debate...all I'm saying is that Carbo wasn'T the Problem on this team!

Great game by the Habs. I don't wanna take away anything from this win, but the habs were facing an AHL team tonight. N-Y's 2 best players were not in action...had they lost it would have been aweful!

Nice to see the 1st line kick some butt and nice to see my Boy score a goal!!

Edited by Habsfan

Let's not forget that Bob had seen the calendar before firing Carbo. He knew that the Habs were playing 11 of their last 16 games at home. He knew the schedule favored him.

In any case, Carbo was fired, that's the end of that, i don'T want to start another Carbo debate...all I'm saying is that Carbo wasn'T the Problem on this team!

Great game by the Habs. I don't wanna take away anything from this win, but the habs were facing an AHL team tonight. N-Y's 2 best players were not in action...had they lost it would have been aweful!

Nice to see the 1st line kick some butt and nice to see my Boy score a goal!!

The Habs have played their best hockey in 2 months over the last week. They were struggling with these shit teams

regularly, so to say it is just a crap team no big deal is disingenuous.

It took Gainey 10 games to get his message through, and although I still find the carbo firing strange, I don't believe they would be playing this well with Carbo behind the bench.

Let's stay hot, Pitts and Carolina are in sight, and bound to cool off soon. However, maybe we want to sit right here in 7th and take the Caps in the first round as opposed to NJ or Boston. Though I think playing either of Boston or NJ (or Philly for that matter) would really pump the team up if we could muscle out a 1st round upset, and maybe spark a little run where the Habs have reduced pressure from being the low seed all the time.

They were struggling with these shit teams

regularly, so to say it is just a crap team no big deal is disingenuous.

Had we played the Thrashers or the Lightning, I would have agreed with you, but not only were we playing the worst team in teh league, ut the Islanders were without their TWO best players(Streit and okposo)

This was as close to an AHL team as we can get. But nonetheless, I'm happy to see that we won this game easily. Had we one by one goal in OT, i would have been a little worried, but our boys did what they needed to do tonight. I guess what I'm saying is that let's not get overexcited because of this win.

However, maybe we want to sit right here in 7th and take the Caps in the first round as opposed to NJ or Boston.

Agreed, Even though New Jersey is playing like crap lately, I still do NOT want to face them in the playoffs. Brodeur is THE Habs killer par excellence!

Edited by Habsfan

Such a quiet game thread tonight.. i was in town showing a friend around the city, missed the game, but i caught glimpses of it on TVs in the windows of shops on Ste-Catherine's st. :lol:

Sounds like a good night for us, NYR loses, Habs win

:hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo:

Laps is totally ######ed out there. I still have a man crush on him. I remember in November, I was saying that he was their MVP, and I got shot down. I stand by this. Markov is the Habs MVP, and Laps is not only the teams most improved player, but runner up team MVP. He is the future of the Habs, and the future is bright.

Metropolit was great tonight. Where did that lil feller come from?

Holy first line Batman!

We have a second line? Who plays on it? Have they played in the last two weeks?

Hab they turned the corner? Is light piercing the darkness? Are the players going to make us proud again? Was this just a test? Allo allo???

Last game I watched Carbo was the coach. Still don't blame him, but Bob is and has always been the the man. We shall over come and I still believe the cup is ours. Thank you all for keeping me in the loop while sailing the Carib. Without you I have no news. Miss you all and my RDS cable feed more.

Johnny

Drive for 25 is alive!

ps, I placed a collect call from Aruba to the x today, just in case! ;)

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

To me, we look a lot like last year... mediocre but riding the PP to a lot of points. If the PPs dry up in the playoffs (see how Philly beat Washington last year when Washington couldn't get a PP no matter how dirty Philly got) we will struggle.

I only watched the 1st, but did any of the other three goals come even strength from the 2nd onwards? I know they are beating the teams they need to beat, which shows they aren't playing down to their competition, but it is worrisome to me that they live and die by the PPG. Had the PP not sparked that 1st period performance, they certainly weren't outplaying the Isles by much 5v5 in the first from what I could see. Against good NHL caliber teams that will need to happen over a 7 game series.

My hope is that the final 3 games of the season mean something to the teams we are playing. I can't see how PIT/NYR would mail it in given they will probably be fighting for position, but BOS in particular I hope is still in a fight for first overall. Those games will let us know where we stand with the real teams in the East, tonite was just a scrimmage against the Bulldogs for the most part.

Bah, thats good but much like the players i am not overhyped by this win.

Calm, realism from Kovy saying that they should keep the focus where it is and save energy for playoffs.

The wins will come if they follow the same pattern.

It was not the same domination on the ice than the Chicago game, they took advantage of their PP chances

and they rode on it.

Basicly it was a AHL club on the Isles side. Without Streit, Okposo and Dipietro this team was very beatable.

Toronto is very beatable too, hope to see the same result.

Yea, they were good and did what they needed to to win. But let's face it is was basically an AHL team that just finished 4 games in 6 nights. The points were important to the habs and the playoff run but nothing more.

Saturday will be a much bigger test, the habs lose to the leafs for 2 simple reasons, they underestimate them and the leafs completely outwork them. 3 in 4 nights for the leafs.Let's see which team shows up.

The Dandy move back to the D was good, i like his speed out there, he certainly brings more then Brisby and O'Byrne.

I agree with some others the 2nd line needs to get going, but the good news on that line is thye don't hurt you in the D zone.

As i keep saying when the team doesn't play the entire night in there own end, it doesn't matter who is playing in net. If Price is still sick, you gotta go with Halak. Back to back to start the next week i believe. BG can wait a day or 2 on Price.

Yes, I didn't post last night. Long story. I have a sick sister-in-law and I'm helping out. Makes it difficult to post. But since I drive everyone on this forum crazy I'm sure you didn't miss me :lol:

IMO; the Gainey effect is still morphing this team in the right direction. Against the Hawks I noticed that in many facets of the game, the Habs controlled.

- Along the boards defensively with/without the puck - playing positional well.

- Three players dropping quickly into a collapse in the slot when the puck is lost to the boards (2 players remain along the defensive boards to battle) and a one-timer develops - the 3 man collapse is resulting in us repossessing the puck after a failed shot (blocked/intercepted). I also notice that when the anticipated shot does not materialize, the players are skating out of the slot to reposition well in the zone defensively - and they're quick about it. It's like they migrate from a 3 man collapse in to zone defence when the danger of a one timer (one timer from the point) is thwarted.

- Forechecking +2 or + 1 at the right times.

- Defensively standing up on their blueline - redline - our blueline - with constant active pokes.

- Transisiton game is smooth.

...and so much more. It's like they are growing every game. Last night was an improvement on the performance against the Hawks. Yes, it was only the Isles but you could see tangible evidence of all these things coming together. Hopeully they improve more Because at this rate IMO, the evidence is pointing towards us becoming a possible playoff deadly team. They're coming together.

"Come together, Right now - Over me" :hlogo: