Apr. 4/09 | Montréal vs. Toronto | Game Thread

Spider-Man NL

Not a bad 3rd period, but I still think we need to find a more dangerous 2nd line. In the playoffs, any decent team is going to shut down the Koivu line.

Does anyone else find it funny that Coaches corner is always about the leafs, but when we are beating them, Don doesn't mention the game. LOL

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey this line works pretty well -- top line with top guys why didn't we think of this earlier hehehe

well, if you remember correctly, two of those three guys haven't gotten along all season.

well, if you remember correctly, two of those three guys haven't gotten along all season.

That's where a coach has to tell them tough shit, you're playing together...like it or not.

Carbo didn't have the balls to do that.

Bob Gainey does.

Maybe you're being sarcastic, but I don't think it's true that Kovy and Koivu dislike eachother.

hey this line works pretty well -- top line with top guys why didn't we think of this earlier hehehe

Honestly, to me this highlights the problem we really have. We have no second line now that we have Kovy up on the first. So they are a great line, but we would be a much better team if we had gotten that number one centre at the deadline. Then we would have two lines offensively.

Nice goal by Higgins, but seriously.. the leafs suck, wait until we play NJD and they shut down our top line.. we will have nothing else. It makes me very pessimistic about our playoff chances. Its no wonder the team looked ticked at the deadline.. they know they needed some help up front when Lang went down...

Maybe you're being sarcastic, but I don't think it's true that Kovy and Koivu dislike eachother.

I don't think it was ever about that. It was about trying to have two lines, not one. We have one great line right now.. thats it.

Honestly, to me this highlights the problem we really have. We have no second line now that we have Kovy up on the first. So they are a great line, but we would be a much better team if we had gotten that number one centre at the deadline. Then we would have two lines offensively.

Nice goal by Higgins, but seriously.. the leafs suck, wait until we play NJD and they shut down our top line.. we will have nothing else. It makes me very pessimistic about our playoff chances. Its no wonder the team looked ticked at the deadline.. they know they needed some help up front when Lang went down...

I must admit, I am worried about that. Unless Plex/Higgins/A.Kost can score regularily, we'll be in trouble.

Sorry dudes, don't want to sound negative when we are winning.. I just can't help but wonder where we would be if we had Higgins playing better, and either Pleks better or a top centre brought in. We would have Tang, Koivu, Higgins, and AK, Pleks/new guys, Kovy... We would in the top 3 teams...

Whether it was true or not, a coach has the right to make any line he wants to.

absolutely, but I find it ironic that for two guys that were reported to be on the outs with each other (even reported that Kovy didn't like Koivu, but not the other way), Gainey puts them together and they click.

good points but...

-One line that works is better than two lines that don't

-Lang could be back by early May . . .

-Second line may get tweaked now that the first is working

Go Habs Go!!!!!

Canes up 2-1 after the 2nd

good points but...

-One line that works is better than two lines that don't

-Lang could be back by early May . . .

-Second line may get tweaked now that the first is working

Go Habs Go!!!!!

Also the first line's success may motivate the next group of guys to contribute more and produce more on the scoresheet

I don't think it was ever about that. It was about trying to have two lines, not one. We have one great line right now.. thats it.

No reason why the second line can't also be great. Higgins-Plekanec-Kostitsyn used to be amazing and Sergei, Pacioretty and D'Agostini are all also of playing well on a second line, even if it's only temporary. The problem with the second line is that they haven't been playing well, not that we have shitty players on it.