Pronunciation

Cataclaw

If a thread on this subject exists already, i haven't found it... tried to search function to no avail, so here goes:

For years i've scratched my head as broadcasters and fans of rival teams consistently butcher the name of the team.

I've always said "Can-ay-di-uns", but a lot of people say "Can-ay-di-ehhns" with strong emphasis on the aehhnns

Then there's people that say "Mawntreal" instead of "Muntrial".

Ahhhhhh!@!~#~

Nothing bugs me like hearing some TSN guy or some fan from Boston say "Maaawntreal Canadi-aahns"

:angry:

Edited by Cataclaw

Funny this is a topic. The TV was on TSN, some reporter, Sherri Forde I think was her name, really emphasized the iennnes. Which sounded so odd, my wife even commented. For us, born and raised here in Montreal, the team is pronounced the same way as citizens of our wonderful country.

Muntrial canadiens. End sounding like ens. (but not too emphasized) That's how I say it. My wife says Mawntreal. It drives me nuts.

The Mawntreal is predominately the way people pronounce it in the states. I think, as somebody said earlier, that the spelling is why people prounce the O the way they do. If I said "Muntrial" to somebody, it would sound like I was trying to put on a canadian accent.

The other Canadian city name that just gets butchered is Calgary. I don't know how Canadians pronouce it, but there are American broadcasters who say Cal-GARY, and it's never sounded right to me. Is it not suposed to be pronounced CAL-gry?

finally, a topic for me! (Linguistics major at McGill back in the day)

basically, if you first learned of the Montreal Canadiens by reading about them (or from someone else who read the words first, ie TSN) - then you have a high likelyhood of falling to mispronouncing the city and team name. those who grew up in Montreal (English Montreal, it's different for Francophones) know that you pronounce Montreal as Mun-tree-all, and Canadiens as if it were spelled Canadians ('e' instead of 'a' doesn't change the pronunciation - it's simply the French spelling of Canadians).

Anglophones in Quebec say "Canadians" as it if were an "a" instead of an "e." The Canadi-ennes is a pronunciation Americans use thinking that that's how French people would pronounce it - but it's wrong in both English and French.

Anglophones in Quebec say "Canadians" as it if were an "a" instead of an "e." The Canadi-ennes is a pronunciation Americans use thinking that that's how French people would pronounce it - but it's wrong in both English and French.

sorry, BTH - but don't blame the Americans for this one ... it's insanely prevalent in Toronto.

The Mawntreal is predominately the way people pronounce it in the states. I think, as somebody said earlier, that the spelling is why people prounce the O the way they do. If I said "Muntrial" to somebody, it would sound like I was trying to put on a canadian accent.

The other Canadian city name that just gets butchered is Calgary. I don't know how Canadians pronouce it, but there are American broadcasters who say Cal-GARY, and it's never sounded right to me. Is it not suposed to be pronounced CAL-gry?

Yes. Albertans detest Cal-Gary....so do most other Westerners.