What's your preference?

TheDriveFor25

OK, so I am pretty confident we are going to get in. Now the question is, is there a team out there you want the Habs to play, and is there one you want them to avoid?

I like...

Boston vs. NYR - Boston in 6

Washington vs. Montreal - Montreal in 6

New Jersey vs. Pittsburgh - Pitts in 7

Phiily vs. Carolina - Philly in 5

Boston vs. Montreal - Montreal in 6

Philly vs. Pitts - Pitts in 7

Pitts vs. Montreal - Montreal in 7

I just want to avoid the Devils round 1, although I think they are going to be out regardless if they play the Habs, Pens, or Rangers!

Yup. That's the series I think I would Like to see. That would be firewagon hockey! I think we would take them too, because Theo blows.

So does Martin Biron

The only team I really want to avoid is NJ. I think Montreal would stand a chance in any other matchup.

The only team I really want to avoid is NJ. I think Montreal would stand a chance in any other matchup.

Agreed. Any team but N-J. I would like to see the habs against the Capitals in teh 1st round. That would be great offensive hockey!

I agree that Jersey must be avoided at all costs - mostly because you KNOW that Brodeur is going to stand on his head in a series half of which is played in front of his family and friends. But I'd also like to avoid Boston. It's perhaps mystical of me, but I think the Bruins 'got our heart' (as they say in boxing)...between nearly upsetting us last playoff, owning the season series against us, AND Lucic's pounding on Komisarek, I don't think there's a single Bruin who does not 100% believe, with complete confidence, that they can beat us, physically and on the scoresheet. I'm not sure the Habs would feel as good about their odds in that series. Bad vibes.

(If we do play them, I want Laraque to simply go out and pound the crap out of Lucic, from the first shift. Kill off the instigator penalty and send a message).

Carolina's a team that always, always seems to get the breaks against us, whether it be Williams gouging out Koivu's eyeball (no call on the play even), or the ridiculous bench penalty against Terrien in 02 that cost us the upset. Bad vibes.

The rest of those teams are good clubs that the Habs, if healthy, confident and well-coached, have at least an even chance of beating. I'd love to see Markov taking on Ovechkin for a series - could be a real eye-opener for those who still underrate Markov. ^_^

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

That Pens-Habs final game could be interesting. Remember, the Pens looked like they mailed in their final game last year and gave us the #1 seed to avoid playing Philly in Round 1 (who would've finished 8th had the Pens beat them). They knew they'd draw a reeling Ottawa team with the #2 seed if they lost, and they seemed to play like that's what they wanted. Can't prove anything, obviously, but that's something that was concluded from their effort.

Edited by saskhab

Yeah, I realize that we haven't got a playoff spot wrapped up yet, but anyways...

Who would be your preferred opponent in the first round? We still have a chance of making the 4-5 matchup, and this would of course be the best case scenario. I think that we can beat Philly, we should have beat them last year (but they're better this year). Pittsburgh or Carolina would be tough as well, but I'd go in feeling confident.

The division leaders, on the other hand, look like a murderers row. New Jersey is still the team that we want to avoid at all costs, IMO. But Washington would be very scary too, with all their size and offense, and they'd have Theo playing his old team (keep in mind he's NEVER lost in the first round). Same story with Boston, and we'd need some real heroic performances to beat them in the playoffs. But a series against the Bruins always brings an extra level of intensity, and hopefully our guys would be ready to go to that level.

So out of the division leaders I'd probably pick Washington as my preferred opposition, but on the other hand I have a feeling that we might have a better chance of upsetting Boston.

What do you think?

I dont care really, as long as we reach the playoffs. I dont expect a cup this season, Ill settle with one or two moments like the end of game 1 against philly last year.

I voted for Washington as well. Th team we want to avoid is the devils and the Bruins are stronger this year than they've been in the past few years. I'm not sure the habs would be able to upset them this time!

The habs haven't locked up anything yet. THey need 3 points i believe to be a lock. I know they have won several in a row and everyone is jumping up and down that they have turned the corner but they have only beaten bottom feeders with the exception of Chicago.

The habs still need 3 points i beleive to be a lock, the next 4 opponants play well against the habs. Nothing is for certain, injuries, not showing up can all still leave them out of the playoffs.

I just hope we don't have to face Carolina (read: Kryptonite) or New Jersey (read: Brodeur).

Carolina is ok now. Noone there to injure our players with high sticks anymore. (Williams WONT be there this playoffs or am I wrong?)