Souray vs. Hamrlik

Dalhabs

I was just starting to think about it. Just saw Souray score his 22nd goal of the season and 11th on the PP. How many here would rather have kept Souray for the same money we got Hamrlik? At that moment Souray's +/- was horrible, dont know what he has now but I think with Souray this team wouldve had a secured playoff spot at this moment.

I believe that the money offered to Hamrlik was offered to Souray first. Souray said no, so we signed Hamrlik.

And no, we have enough offense from the backend, I don't think Souray would have made a huge difference in the struggles of the team. You also forget he missed a large part of last season, where he was earning the same money his now. At that point, you'd be clamoring for Hamrlik.

I believe that the money offered to Hamrlik was offered to Souray first. Souray said no, so we signed Hamrlik.

And no, we have enough offense from the backend, I don't think Souray would have made a huge difference in the struggles of the team. You also forget he missed a large part of last season, where he was earning the same money his now. At that point, you'd be clamoring for Hamrlik.

Yep totally agreed bro.

I was just starting to think about it. Just saw Souray score his 22nd goal of the season and 11th on the PP. How many here would rather have kept Souray for the same money we got Hamrlik? At that moment Souray's +/- was horrible, dont know what he has now but I think with Souray this team wouldve had a secured playoff spot at this moment.

Overall, Hamrlik.

-Hamrlik accepts to be on the 2nd pairing.

-Hamrlik can stop Jason Spezza

-Hamrlik can be an extremely sound reliable stay at home dman -> when he came with us, it instantly stabilized our dcorp.

If we didn't have Markov, Souray or Streit would be good options, given that Komisarek would be really far behind, to be able to cover their enormous blunders.

Hamrlik can play with a young O'Byrne and avoid disasters.

Streit or Souray couldn't play with a young O'Byrne without causing Armageddon.

I am happy with Hamrlik. true Souray has more of an offensive upside to his game, but I still remember how badly he was beaten by Spezza...that was just embarassing.

I,ll take Hamrlik's defensive abilities and his calming presence on our blueline vs Souray's offensive upside any day. Anyways, we have schneider now who helps out with the PP!

Edited by Habsfan

As much as I liked Shelly, I think Hammer is a better fit overall, for all the reasons listed before me.

To me, the equation is simple. The Hamrlik of last season is a far, far better use of $5.5 million than even the Souray of this season. Souray is a fragile 5th defenceman who morphs into a #1 defenceman on the powerplay. That's a hard player to incorporate into your roster (because he expects top-4 minutes but goes down with injuries and leaves you holding the bag on a regular basis) and he doesn't offer full value for the dollar, because he is so limited in his own end. Hamrlik last season had an all-around game that this team desperately needed; he was one of the biggest reasons for our vaulting into elite status.

The reason this discussion comes up is that this year Hamrlik is having a horrible season. He has not played the role of defensive stabilizer with anything like last year's consistency. Anyone who really thinks that Hammer is bringing more to the Habs this season than Souray has to the Oilers is, I think, kidding themselves.

So we're 1 for 2 on this decision. Only at the end of the four years will we be able to determine which was the best choice. But you can't even say that *right now* it looks like a mistake, because last season counts in the calculation.

(It's kinda like the Kovalev contract. The first year, it looked like a good deal; the second year, a terrible deal; the third year, an incredible deal...this year, well, the verdict is still out).

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Lol, some people here are so feisty its almost scary. I just came to think about it when I saw Souray score his 22nd goal in a game recently and NOT mr. Chicoutimi because of Hamrlik's bad play lately. I havent seen alot of Souray at all lately since he is not a habs anymore and all I wanted was some info on Souray's defensive play nowadays (and of course start some chatting). I guess this response's means Souray is still horrible in his own end.

I was never a fan of Souray. Sure he has a cannon, and a temper at times, but that's about it. Souray is seldom a + player, Hamrlik (except for his years in woeful TB) has been a + player. Along the boards, he was ok. Open ice, he was absolutely dreadful.