Cataclaw

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Game of the year.

The Bruins will be ready this time.

The Habs have to leave everything on the ice. They MUST win this game.

Are they, as the Boston Globe asserts, 'average, even mediocre?'

This game will tell.

Shamwow! Cataclaw, you are talented thanks for this.

Really like the thoughts of other posters in terms of using Laraque throughout the lineup a little bit.

I would like to see Higgins get a chance to wake up Kosty and Pleks - I still remember a couple of seasons ago, they worked some magic late in the year, and they haven't been reunited since.

I do hope that Weber gets a shot and Breezer gets a rest...

Any news on the lineup?

I know this won't happen, but i'd like to see MaxPac recalled and inserted into the lineup for Kostopolous. Kosto's play as of late has been pretty poor. He's a step behind Lats and Laps and brings no offense to the line. MaxPac would be much better and be good experience.

Also seen enough of Diago's poor defensive instincts. Really wish SK was healthy enough to take his spot.

Game of the year.

This game will tell.

CC. Save your wisdom and logical thought patterns.

They are of no use in the playoffs. I am pretty sure that Bruins fans proclaimed Game 4

as a must win last season. Down 3-1 and 1-0 in Game 5 they outscored the Habs 10-4

over the next 5 periods. Then the Habs fans proclaimed doom entering Game 7.

Momentum had been seized, it was unlikely they could come back. 5-0 win.

If anybody can explain the events that lead to these dramatic momentum swings with

a logical thought process, then take your shot. But momentum is not easily explained.

Sit back and enjoy the ride. We are playing with house money, a month ago this team

was dead and buried. They aren't going to win the Cup, but wouldn't it be fun if they did?

I don't understand the morose attitude, it's warm out and we get to watch hockey!

Enjoy it, because when the ride ends you have to wait until October to watch the Habs again.

Game of the year.

This game will tell.

Yes, they must win this game. Assuming Markov won't be back for this game, splitting the away games without our best player will be huge for us. Markov's return coinciding with home-ice will result in a swing of momentum. On the other side of the coin, if they lose, they're down 2-0 and banking on the hope that Markov is our saviour (he wasn't last year).

But - what Wamsley will say is true: in reality, we don't really NEED to win - it's only one more game and a comeback will still be possible following a loss. Hard to call this game of the year because each following game will become even more important. But yes, we MUST win this game.

EDIT: haha while I posted, Wamsley actually said exactly what I said he would.

Edited by BTH

Yes, they must win this game. Assuming Markov won't be back for this game, splitting the away games without our best player will be huge for us. Markov's return coinciding with home-ice will result in a swing of momentum. On the other side of the coin, if they lose, they're down 2-0 and banking on the hope that Markov is our saviour (he wasn't last year).

But - what Wamsley will say is true: in reality, we don't really NEED to win - it's only one more game and a comeback will still be possible following a loss. Hard to call this game of the year because each following game will become even more important. But yes, we MUST win this game.

EDIT: haha while I posted, Wamsley actually said exactly what I said he would.

Kind of :)

I have just seen to many improbable things to write off anybody outside of 3-0. THAT, I have only seen

once. I have overanalyzed things and watched the NY Islanders beat the Penguins, I have broken down

a SuperBowl and watched the Giants beat the Patriots, I have begun to make travel plans for a World

Series and watch the Red Sox comeback twice on Mariano Rivera.

So I don't care how logical, sensical or reasonable an analysis is. We don't own a Delorean with a flux

capacitor, so I will watch and wait before I get frenzied or depressed.

And if anybody does own the Biff Tannen Almanac, can I photocopy it?

Edited by Wamsley01

Kind of :)

I have just seen to many improbable things to write off anybody outside of 3-0. THAT, I have only seen

once. I have overanalyzed things and watched the NY Islanders beat the Penguins, I have broken down

a SuperBowl and watched the Giants beat the Patriots, I have begun to make travel plans for a World

Series and watch the Red Sox comeback twice on Mariano Rivera.

So I don't care how logical, sensical or reasonable an analysis is. We don't own a Delorean with a flux

capacitor, so I will watch and wait before I get frenzied or depressed.

And if anybody does own the Biff Tannen Almanac, can I photocopy it?

You're right and that's why I hate how during the season, every second game thread someone posts "This is the biggest game of the year!"

BUT - it's obvious that a win in Game 2 will be important - not necessary! - to win this series. And a win last night, equally important.

You're right and that's why I hate how during the season, every second game thread someone posts "This is the biggest game of the year!"

BUT - it's obvious that a win in Game 2 will be important - not necessary! - to win this series. And a win last night, equally important.

Saturday is important, no doubt, but I will remain lose and optimistic until their back is against the wall.

If anybody can explain the events that lead to these dramatic momentum swings with

a logical thought process, then take your shot. But momentum is not easily explained.

I'll take my shot.

Momentum is about :

1. Confidence (from a good shift/game and from some cheering from the crowd)

Then, confidence brings :

3. Concentration (when you are confident, you don't think about pressure or the mistakes you've done recently and can concentrate on your game)

That leads to :

2. Successful and intelligent risk taking (who results in nice play, keeping guys confident and concentrated, etc)

I guess we could throw grit and fighting in the equation as well because they bring some positivism (is that a word??).

I definitely agree that winning game 2 isnt necessary for the Habs to win this series. However if the Habs want to win round 2 and beyond then they better beat Bos sooner rather than later.

Last year Bos took the Habs to 7 games and the Habs lost in 5 games in round 2. I definitely dont want to see this series going to 7 games again.

Funny the word luck comes up after game 1. IMO its Bos that got lucky. The refs were on Bos side in game 1 and it was pure luck that the puck went off the Habs players stick in the corner and went right out to the open guy in front of the net.

The Habs had several great opportunities in game 1 that didnt come to fruition and in game 2 hopefully they can fully capitalize on these opportunities.

Go :hlogo: Go!!

I definitely agree that winning game 2 isnt necessary for the Habs to win this series. However if the Habs want to win round 2 and beyond then they better beat Bos sooner rather than later.

Last year Bos took the Habs to 7 games and the Habs lost in 5 games in round 2. I definitely dont want to see this series going to 7 games again.

Funny the word luck comes up after game 1. IMO its Bos that got lucky. The refs were on Bos side in game 1 and it was pure luck that the puck went off the Habs players stick in the corner and went right out to the open guy in front of the net.

The Habs had several great opportunities in game 1 that didnt come to fruition and in game 2 hopefully they can fully capitalize on these opportunities.

Go :hlogo: Go!!

Philly took 7 games and OT in the 7th game to win their series last year. Going 7 games had nothing to do with who won in Round 2. In general, though, winning quicker is a good thing.

If Markov is back and can get our transition going, Boston better watch out!

Forget about Markov for tomorrow's game. He was seen skating at the Practice facility in Brossard yesterday, and he's definitely not ready. The Habs don't even think he'll be ready for game 3.

Before game one, the Habs had four days off. The first day, no practices. The other three days of practice had the Kovy-Koivu-Tanguay line practicing together, then all of a sudden, in game one, Laraque was on the first line. Now Gainey says there's "no chance" Markov plays tomorrow. I don't believe a word he says.

Why the hell would he say that Markov will play tomorrow? To please the fans who would like to know? To let the Bruins devise a practice a strategy to attack him? The reality is Markov might not play, and he might. We won't know for certain until then. I don't recall Gainey, during the season, ever saying things as definitive as "he will definitely not play" or he "definitely will play". For him to be putting it that way now clearly is an indication that the Habs and Gainey are inplayoff mode.

Wouldn't it be something if they quietly flew Markov in to Boston 2 hours before game time and he suited up?

All I'm saying is it's playoff time, and what people tell the media means squat. It's the best time of the year because anything can happen, anyone can win.

Philly took 7 games and OT in the 7th game to win their series last year. Going 7 games had nothing to do with who won in Round 2. In general, though, winning quicker is a good thing.

But it was likely a no hitter from a Capitals perspective.

Philly has a rep as a physical team, but their physicality is generally cheap stuff.

The Bruins work your body hard and it takes a toll over the long haul. That being said, the Habs outplayed

AND outhit Philly last season and had the misfortune of untimely breaks. The FLyers scored 3 to 4 improbably goals

off of arms, legs, hands (one of which I learned a new rule, that it is ok to score off your hand) while the Habs

were snakebitten with posts and poor goaltending.

If they replayed that series 10 times, I still believe that the Habs win 7 of those 10 series.

One more reason why common sense does not dictate playoff results.

Before game one, the Habs had four days off. The first day, no practices. The other three days of practice had the Kovy-Koivu-Tanguay line practicing together, then all of a sudden, in game one, Laraque was on the first line. Now Gainey says there's "no chance" Markov plays tomorrow. I don't believe a word he says.

Why the hell would he say that Markov will play tomorrow? To please the fans who would like to know? To let the Bruins devise a practice a strategy to attack him? The reality is Markov might not play, and he might. We won't know for certain until then. I don't recall Gainey, during the season, ever saying things as definitive as "he will definitely not play" or he "definitely will play". For him to be putting it that way now clearly is an indication that the Habs and Gainey are inplayoff mode.

Wouldn't it be something if they quietly flew Markov in to Boston 2 hours before game time and he suited up?

All I'm saying is it's playoff time, and what people tell the media means squat. It's the best time of the year because anything can happen, anyone can win.

:clap: :clap:

great thread Cata!

I think we'll face a better Boston team tonight, and I hope that Mtl makes the appropriate adjustments. Pleks and Breezer (if he plays) had better find their games.

GO HABS GO!!!!

I can see that what I said went completely over your head. :P

I didnt say any series going 7 games, I said the Habs going 7 games against Bos. Bos is a fairly large physical team, the Caps dont compare in a 7 game series because they are more finess and skill based team. The Caps dont have 3 of the top 5 hitters in the NHL, nor do they have a eugenics experiment for a Captain. Philly could have played a 21 game series against the Caps and still beat Habs last year in rnd 2.

Poor Metropolit got ran over at least 3 times in game 1. If that keeps up how many games can Metro go before he's out for the year? Its uber important the Habs get past Bos ASAP not just for Metros sake, but for all the smaller Habs.

Lats needs to be more of a physical factor in the rest of this series. The Habs need to respond to Bos physicality and start taking runs at Bos smaller impact players in exactly the same fashion Lucic and Chara are hitting the Habs. Every time Savard, Kessel, Burgeron, and Ryder touch the puck I want to hear a loud thud shortly afterwards.