Forget Lecavalier Can Habs get Tavares?

kaos

Watching the game against Boston last night, I was wishing Montreal had a great offensive weapon like Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin etc, someone who cold have scored while the Habs were dominating Boston at the end of the second and early 3rd period.

Then I was thinking, how do they get that great offensive weapon? LEts face it Lecavalier is way too expensive. Too expensive in terms of talent to trade for him as well as his obscene contract.

This is all provided ya believe Tavares to the next great player

There are probably no other real great players available, and Garth Snow has said that NY will entertain offers for the 1st overall pick.

Since the draft is in Montreal, how magical it might be if Gainey phoned Garth Snow and offered him Montreals 1st pick 18th to 20th overall and NY natives Mike Komisarek and Chris Higgins, both former first picks. Maybe a little more might have to go to New Yorks way, picks or a prospect wise. Maybe a 3rd rder or David Fisher or soemthing. Definitley not McDonagh or Emelin

NY gets two very good players who are not expensive yet, who help them immediatley and are hometown boys. As well as other filler material maybe.

Montreal gets Tavares. Montreal saves probably $6 Million in Salary for next year. Higgins probably gets between $2.25 and $2.5 Million this year, while Komisarek might command $4 million or so.

The downside is the hole that Komisarek leaves. However, free agency provides a fix. Maybe. Defenseman Aay Bowmeester. Say $6.5 Million for him

As well with cap space cleared of Kovalev, Koiv, Lang, Higgins, Komisarek, Dandenalt, Boillon, Kostop, = $21.5 Million. Take away Bowmeesters salary and ya have $15 Million available for another free agent or two.

Maybe Mike Cammalleri, or Marian Gaborik, Francois Beachemin, Leopold are some of the players that might help.

Might have a roster of; in no real order

A Kostitsyn Plekanec S Kostitsyn

A Tangay Tavares D'Agostini

Latendresse Chipchra Laraqye

Pacioretty Lapierre Stewart

Markov OBryne

Bowmeester

Hamrlik Weber

Price

Halak

A little weak at centre and defense. Free agency might fill the holes, as well as Alexi Emelin if he comes over.

I know, its all a pipe dream, its all I had to ease the pain of last nights loss

It's worth a try but NYI won't want Komisarek unsigned. I also don't think Bouwmeester will sign here or that we should be banking on that happening. But I think it's realistic at least.

Oh, I also wouldn't have let all the veterans leave but that's a different question.

Edited by BTH

Good grief, that offer for Tavares isn't any different than a deal for Vinny would be. Also, how about we put off talk about the off-season until the season is over. In case you forgot, we're in the middle of a playoff series.

Good grief, that offer for Tavares isn't any different than a deal for Vinny would be.

I could understand someone wanting Tavares over Lecavalier. (factor in age, injuries & contract)

Good grief, that offer for Tavares isn't any different than a deal for Vinny would be. Also, how about we put off talk about the off-season until the season is over. In case you forgot, we're in the middle of a playoff series.

But I dont want to wait another week.

What I want to hear about is that Emelin and macdonagh are signed. that would please MAK alot !!

Like I said. I was drowing my sorrows. And ya really can't see the difference between the deals? I'm thinking keeping Plekanec is pretty big. If ya haven't noticed, the Habs are not really well stocked with centres. Keepin Plekanec is pretty important.

And I'd rather have Tavares, considering his Lecavaliers contract

It's worth a try but NYI won't want Komisarek unsigned. I also don't think Bouwmeester will sign here or that we should be banking on that happening. But I think it's realistic at least.

Oh, I also wouldn't have let all the veterans leave but that's a different question.

Yeah I think getting him is a long shot as well. Thats why i was thinking of overpaying. Everything I ahve read says $6 Million a year. So I went to $6.5 Think the GMs are going to have to real in the spending this year. Especially in the west, where the Alberta economy is collapsing. And in 2 years Hamrliks contract comes off the books, so if frees more money down the line.

I doubt NY would do this. It is their chance to add a potential superstar to their lineup. That doesn't come along very often. The only chance there is of having this happen is if he has a real hard on for native NY players.

I believe we stand a greater chance at trading for Lecavalier, injuries and salary included.

We have needed the #1 centre for years and however it happens, I hope it happens this summer.

Hahaha. Nice try, really. :clap:

The only way the Habs could get Taveres is by offering the Laffs a large bag of pucks. Dont ya's know that the Laffs are going to trade all their 2nd round picks for Taveres? :P

Not to mention what good would local boys Komi and Higgs do for their franchise in Kansas City? :lol:

Watching the game against Boston last night, I was wishing Montreal had a great offensive weapon like Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin etc, someone who cold have scored while the Habs were dominating Boston at the end of the second and early 3rd period.

Then I was thinking, how do they get that great offensive weapon? LEts face it Lecavalier is way too expensive. Too expensive in terms of talent to trade for him as well as his obscene contract.

This is all provided ya believe Tavares to the next great player

There are probably no other real great players available, and Garth Snow has said that NY will entertain offers for the 1st overall pick.

Since the draft is in Montreal, how magical it might be if Gainey phoned Garth Snow and offered him Montreals 1st pick 18th to 20th overall and NY natives Mike Komisarek and Chris Higgins, both former first picks. Maybe a little more might have to go to New Yorks way, picks or a prospect wise. Maybe a 3rd rder or David Fisher or soemthing. Definitley not McDonagh or Emelin

NY gets two very good players who are not expensive yet, who help them immediatley and are hometown boys. As well as other filler material maybe.

Montreal gets Tavares. Montreal saves probably $6 Million in Salary for next year. Higgins probably gets between $2.25 and $2.5 Million this year, while Komisarek might command $4 million or so.

The downside is the hole that Komisarek leaves. However, free agency provides a fix. Maybe. Defenseman Aay Bowmeester. Say $6.5 Million for him

As well with cap space cleared of Kovalev, Koiv, Lang, Higgins, Komisarek, Dandenalt, Boillon, Kostop, = $21.5 Million. Take away Bowmeesters salary and ya have $15 Million available for another free agent or two.

Maybe Mike Cammalleri, or Marian Gaborik, Francois Beachemin, Leopold are some of the players that might help.

Might have a roster of; in no real order

A Kostitsyn Plekanec S Kostitsyn

A Tangay Tavares D'Agostini

Latendresse Chipchra Laraqye

Pacioretty Lapierre Stewart

Markov OBryne

Bowmeester

Hamrlik Weber

Price

Halak

A little weak at centre and defense. Free agency might fill the holes, as well as Alexi Emelin if he comes over.

I know, its all a pipe dream, its all I had to ease the pain of last nights loss

I am not that sure that Tavares is the saviour. I am not willing to gut the franchise to get him. It would be nice to move up into the top 5 if possible cause there is a lot of talent there. I think NYI keep their pick. Hedberg may be a better option anyways. the bolts have some trouble and are looney as shit house rats so maybe we could trick them? :lol:

We are desperate for a C (but I think this is different from saying we need a Kovalchuk-type susperstar). Tavares would be great, but it's not going to happen - I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Gainey overpaying for a Cammalleri-type, though; not a saviour but a plausible replacement for either Koivu or Pleks, both of whom frankly need replacing (albeit for different reasons).

I don't especially believe in superstars. Give me a balanced all-around machine with maybe a Kovalev sort to provide unpredictable bursts of offence, as Kovalev's ridiculous goal provided last game. No goalie on earth could stop that. But Kovalev is best deployed as a complementary player supplementing a balanced attack. A team with lots of good players isn't crippled when one of 'em goes down, or goes UFA etc.. And in some ways is also harder to defend against.

Bottom line: we don't necessarily need to think in terms of The Big Deal to acquire The Big Player. A second-tier #1 C like Cammalleri would be a significant improvement on this team; heck, just look at what a good #2 C like Lang added. Smaller steps, not one giant leap.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

You'd think he'd be willing to overpay for a Cammalleri but then why wouldn't he pay up for Jokinen? Doesn't seems like he wants to overpay for anything.

You'd think he'd be willing to overpay for a Cammalleri but then why wouldn't he pay up for Jokinen? Doesn't seems like he wants to overpay for anything.

Yeah, well, I was pissed that he didn't make a run for Jokinen. Hell, even Patrick O'Sullivan could have been acquired as he was by Edmonton. The situation is desperate. In that situation, you overpay and live with it.

Yeah, well, I was pissed that he didn't make a run for Jokinen. Hell, even Patrick O'Sullivan could have been acquired as he was by Edmonton. The situation is desperate. In that situation, you overpay and live with it.

O'sullivan as good as he his carries a bad rep. I think there are familly issues but I don't remember exactly what.

when a talented 23 year is traded fro the 3rd time in his young career, one must ask questions about him.

O'sullivan as good as he his carries a bad rep. I think there are familly issues but I don't remember exactly what.

when a talented 23 year is traded fro the 3rd time in his young career, one must ask questions about him.

Maybe. I've heard that song and dance before, though: about Jokinen, Ribeiro, Marleau, and several other excellent players who the habs would be better off with than without. Anyway, I'm not going out on a limb over O'Sullivan; the point is that Bob didn't seem to aggressively pursue available options at C. And he should have, not just for this season, but as a longer-term necessity.

One thing is for sure, they need to get some north american style players on this team quick. I don't think i have seen a softer team since my friends daughters 11 year old soccer game.

I would offer up the rights to Komi, Higgins and the habs number 1 for Tavares. Sign some good players, entire new coaching staff, then go from there.

The same old garbage is getting difficult to watch again.

I would also trade Pleks for another younger centre man. The oilers ahve a bunch.

I would offer up the rights to Komi, Higgins and the habs number 1 for Tavares. Sign some good players, entire new coaching staff, then go from there.

I would also trade Pleks for another younger centre man. The oilers ahve a bunch.

Sorry man but If I were the Islanders GM I'd laugh in your face if you offered that for the 1st overall pick. An UFA who might not sign with the Islanders, a player playing on the 4th line of the Habs and a mid/late 1st ?

And the I think the only centre the Oilers would send back for Pleks is Horcoff and his wonderful contract.

I do agree that there do need to be some changes ... Hopefully A. Kostitsyn has an injury because if he doesn't then he'd be the 1st on on my list to be move out along with his brother. AK has been invisible for way to long now

Sorry man but If I were the Islanders GM I'd laugh in your face if you offered that for the 1st overall pick. An UFA who might not sign with the Islanders, a player playing on the 4th line of the Habs and a mid/late 1st ?

And the I think the only centre the Oilers would send back for Pleks is Horcoff and his wonderful contract.

I do agree that there do need to be some changes ... Hopefully A. Kostitsyn has an injury because if he doesn't then he'd be the 1st on on my list to be move out along with his brother. AK has been invisible for way to long now

I don't think even mad Mike Milbury would have beene dumb enough to make that deal - actually, come to think of it, he may have actually made it without including Higgins ^_^

But I do agree that I'd much rather have the habs go after a Tavares or another impact player that doesn't have a guy contracted for a $6.5M cap hit until he is 40 years old.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

Actually I'm pretty sure thats not it. Bob is willing to over pay, but just not for the sake of doing something. i.e. it would have to be worth it, guarenteed. Most of the players available at the deadline were unproven players in clutch situations and or being relied on to help carry their team.

I like Jokinen but the absolute truth is that he has never been a top player when under pressure to be a teams #1 guy. The Habs already have enough players who often have problems coping with being relied on to produce on a consistent regular basis. The Habs desperately need somebody who can actualy produce on a regular bassis and that can handle the pressure of having to produce on a regular basis.

Jokinen does pretty well. Whether he's a superstar is another story. My point is, he's about 2X better than whatever we've currently got.

You may be right about Bob's logic; good call. But I don't think Gainey should have approached the deadline in terms of immediate short-term help for the team. A legitimate #1 C was available. He should have pursued that deal as a longer-term fix for a long-standing roster problem. The foibles of this year's squad should have had no bearing on that calculation.

Anyway...water under the bridge.