April 20th, 2009 | Canadiens vs. Bruins | Game 3 Thread

Cataclaw

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe they will lose. This team finds ways to lose. Sorry, but that's just how I feel. The only possibility is that Halak will get hot.

On a related note, while I think Gainey is a good coach and a substantial upgrade on Carbo, I think he may have made a basic, if understandable, strategic error in this series. Instead of playing to his team's strengths, he's built a game-plan around neutralizing those of the Bruins. This may be a classic case of a syndrome I increasingly recognize in NHL coaches: over-coaching. For instance, putting Laraque out there on the first line was an interesting ploy for neutralizing Chara. But it has two effects. One is that it breaks up our best line and prevents us from getting the most out of our three best players (one reason why Kovy is slipping into the do-it-yourself mode, for instance, is likely that he doesn't see Laraque as a serious playmaking option). The other, subtler effect is what it conveys to the team: our best isn't good enough to beat their best. This is not a healthy message for a team with a very fragile self-belief.

It's worth noting that our success last year came after, by his own admission, Carbonneau decided to stop constantly matching lines and hyper-strategizing. He just let the team loose, and they actually started winning.

I also remember 1993 very well. In Round One against the Nordiques, the first two games in Quebec City were dominated by a game plan built entirely around containing the Nordiques' formidable offence. The general tone was the the Habs were overmatched. The result was disastrous. After Game Two Roy and Carbo stood up in the room and told their mates to stop worrying about the other guys so much, that they could beat them man to man and to just play their game. Lo and behold, four straight wins.

Now, this is nothing like that outstanding 1993 team, and I don't think we are even as good as the Bruins, not with the Kostitsyns and Plekanec playing like they are, and not with Markov injured. But still, it may have been wiser just to sell this team on an identity - e.g., 'we're a fast team and will skate them into the ground' - and turned 'em loose. Go down swinging, rather than micro-managing. The trouble with the latter is that if it doesn't work, you don't have a team with any self-belief to fall back on, because you've sold them on the message that they can only win if they can somehow get the Bruins *off* their game. And here we are: it hasn't worked.

Anyway. Easy for me to say.

Koivu and Halak will need to surpass themselves tonight.

Koivu and Halak will need to surpass themselves tonight.

As much as I want Price to resurrect from the dead and lead us to the promissed land, Halak better be in nets tonight.

I'm visiting Connecticut from Greece since my inlaws live here. They own a sportsbar in Cheshire, CT which is predominantly Bruins land. After gloating about the Habs and how great they are, I'm now forced to walk around the bar with a paper bag over my head.

PLEEEEASE WIN AND LET ME SALVAGE SOME OF MY DIGNITY!!!

The cup is 1/2 full, I believe!

Price gonna play a great game tonight, IF the D helps him out. Don't let the Bruins walk into their zone like they own the place, put them on their ass, stick check, and for the love of god, if you're not gonna block the shot, just move out of the way, and let the goalie, Price or Halak see the damn puck. If you're not gonna be a wall for the Bruins, don't be a wall for your goalie.

The cup is 1/2 full, I believe!

Price gonna play a great game tonight, IF the D helps him out. Don't let the Bruins walk into their zone like they own the place, put them on their ass, stick check, and for the love of god, if you're not gonna block the shot, just move out of the way, and let the goalie, Price or Halak see the damn puck. If you're not gonna be a wall for the Bruins, don't be a wall for your goalie.

Sorry, but many of the goals were not horrible defensive plays. Basically, you are saying that if our D limits the shots on Price or doesn't block them, then it is their fault. I am not going to argue that our D doesn't need to play better, but we need a goalie who can stop some of these shots. I don't think Price is up to the task right now. We better hope Halak can step in and say.. bring it on boys, I will stop you despite my D!

Halak should play tonight. It's not like Price is a proven ace like Patrick Roy. He played OK, no better than that; and what's the point of having depth in goal if you don't use it under those circumstances?

I'll cheer for either goalie that starts, but us thinking that goaltending swapping will instantly change our fortunes are wishing upon fools gold. We need our D to play big, be aggressive on the blue line, if you play aggressive and give up a 2 on 1, it would be less frustrating cause at least you tried to do something.

Edited by bar

HalakHalakHalakHalakHalak...repeat it until it makes the noise of a flat tire so Bob can wake up change

the goalie, put the goon back on the fourth line, give some ice time to number 13. It may start something...

:clap:

Sorry, but many of the goals were not horrible defensive plays. Basically, you are saying that if our D limits the shots on Price or doesn't block them, then it is their fault. I am not going to argue that our D doesn't need to play better, but we need a goalie who can stop some of these shots. I don't think Price is up to the task right now. We better hope Halak can step in and say.. bring it on boys, I will stop you despite my D!

The goals were not horrible goals either.

I would go with Halak, last year I thought it was the wrong decision because Price was amazing down

the stretch, but despite a couple of acrobatic saves he has been passable down the stretch, but

like Roy in 1987, there is no sense in waiting for something that is not going to happen. He is not going

to find the zone.

This team needs a shock, if a new goalie provides that, so be it. But if they roll out the same effort

as Game 2, Halak could inherit the spirit of Roy and it will not matter.

If you look at their body of work since March 1st, Halak has been better. That is why he should start.

I'll cheer for either goalie that starts, but us thinking that goaltending swapping will instantly change our fortunes are wishing upon fools gold. We need our D to play big, be aggressive on the blue line, if you play aggressive and give up a 2 on 1, it would be less frustrating cause at least you tried to do something.

I agree. I don't think Halak can win this series, but it is our only hope. If he is lights out for two games and ties the series, maybe the rest of the girls will put on their pants and try to win.

Right now, I don't think this team has any confidence.

The goals were not horrible goals either.

I would go with Halak, last year I thought it was the wrong decision because Price was amazing down

the stretch, but despite a couple of acrobatic saves he has been passable down the stretch, but

like Roy in 1987, there is no sense in waiting for something that is not going to happen. He is not going

to find the zone.

This team needs a shock, if a new goalie provides that, so be it. But if they roll out the same effort

as Game 2, Halak could inherit the spirit of Roy and it will not matter.

If you look at their body of work since March 1st, Halak has been better. That is why he should start.

I agree, but yes, some of those goals were horrible, weak ass crap that you need to stop to win in the playoffs.

As far as Roy goes.. don't we need to kill him so Halak can channel his spirit? :)

Lang and Markov were warming up this morning...markov likely for tonights game...Lang for game 4 :clap: Ok Now im actually done posting

Where did you read that Markov is in and Lang for game 4.

NO where have I seen that please link me so I can get excited,

No way is Markov playing tonight even if he wanted. Look at Bouillon. everybody including me was excited to see him play. yet he played 2 minutes and his season is finished.

Unfortuntaley I think Boston will show Habs what killer instinct really means.

Halak could make it close but I don't see how Mtl could win.

Where did you read that Markov is in and Lang for game 4.

NO where have I seen that please link me so I can get excited,

Don't get excited just yet. Both guys were skating in full equipment and taking shots, but I still think we would need to go to the next round to see Lang...or possibly push this round to 7 games.

Skating doesn't mean they are likely to play.

Agreed. I doubt we'll see Markov tonight...and I SERIOUSLY doubt we'll see lang in the 1st round!

I think we are pretty much down to praying and hoping our boys can get a win tonight, cause if they don't, it's over!

Jacques Demers just announced that Carey Price is in Nets and that Tanguay is not on the ice for the warm up! I hope it's just a problem with his equipment!!??

Price??? Gainey is his own worse enemy....

He is showing a hardcore stubborn streak.

This is even more pressure on the kid, if he does not win, look out!

Jacques Demers just announced that Carey Price is in Nets and that Tanguay is not on the ice for the warm up! I hope it's just a problem with his equipment!!??

OH no :wacko:

I hope I eat my words but this is clearly a bad decision.

I suppose Laraque will be on the first line again too :puke:

Come on Gainey, play to win not to neutralize them.

He is showing a hardcore stubborn streak.

This is even more pressure on the kid, if he does not win, look out!

and people called Carbo stubborn!!!!

It seems to me that Gainey is not giving the team their best chance to win. Nor is he doing Price any favors.

So if we lose tonight, he will put Halak in for the 4th game, when it is all but over.

If I am Halak, I am looking to get out of Montreal ASAP. As long as Gainey is here, Halak will never get a chance. The decisions are clearly not based on merit.