Official MLB Discussion Thread

Quebecois

Poor Max Scherzer...sort of. He did throw a no hitter today which is always nice. The bad thing though? He had 26 up, 26 down and then hit batter #27 with two out in the ninth. It's the first time in almost 107 years (since July 4, 1908) that a perfect game was broken up with an HBP with two out in the ninth.

• 2 weeks later...

It will be interesting today because Jays are supposedly going to make some moves-- if they intend to move roster players they will have to keep them out of lineup, because game goes at 1ish--- may have to play shorthanded

It will be interesting today because Jays are supposedly going to make some moves-- if they intend to move roster players they will have to keep them out of lineup, because game goes at 1ish--- may have to play shorthanded

Where are you seeing that they're going to make moves today? I've seen that they're looking to deal but the (first) trade deadline isn't until the end of this month, plenty of time to get something done.

Where are you seeing that they're going to make moves today? I've seen that they're looking to deal but the (first) trade deadline isn't until the end of this month, plenty of time to get something done.

For some reason I believed that today was the last day before the restricted movement phase. Me Bad

• 3 weeks later...

Will AA trade away the future, for the now, to save his sorry ass?

The longer they go without making a trade, the chances of that happening go down. I get the sense that if he was making a move for a rental with top prospects, it'd be done by now. I think he'd like to make a splash and get a core piece that isn't a rental that would justify parting with a couple of good youngsters. If that doesn't happen, there might be a depth move or two but that's it. I don't think he's the type of GM who will sell the farm just to save his job.

The longer they go without making a trade, the chances of that happening go down. I get the sense that if he was making a move for a rental with top prospects, it'd be done by now. I think he'd like to make a splash and get a core piece that isn't a rental that would justify parting with a couple of good youngsters. If that doesn't happen, there might be a depth move or two but that's it. I don't think he's the type of GM who will sell the farm just to save his job.

That's exactly why we are where we are. I am just wondering if he holds to that or makes a desperation move, knowing that there is a good chance he won't be back if thing don't improve dramatically. This may be his last kick of the can.

• 2 weeks later...

So it turns out I may have been wrong about dealing away the future as the Jays made yet another blockbuster move last night. They've added Troy Tulowitzki and LaTroy Hawkins from Colorado for Jose Reyes, Jeff Hoffman, Miguel Castro, and Jesus Tinoco.

The Jays don't get much of a pitching upgrade here (Hawkins is a decent middle relief option but nothing special at 42 years old) but they're better defensively as a result of this move which should save a few runs. And offensively, Tulowitzki is a fair amount better than Reyes, even in a down year.

Anthopoulos did get rid of a good chunk of their prospect core though to make a move. Hoffman was arguably their top pitching prospect, Castro, though really raw, has some nice upside, while Tinoco is a few years away but could be a serviceable pitcher as well.

It's rather surprising that they didn't use those pieces to get a pitcher but they certainly are a better team moving forward both now and for the next couple of seasons (the term Reyes had left on his contract). And as much as I'd have liked the Jays to keep Hoffman, at least he wasn't dealt for a short-term rental. In that sense, it's not the GM dealing everything to try to save his job on the short-term but rather doing something that will help the team for several years down the road.

With that all said, now it's time to go add a pitcher. Even if it's just a 4/5 starter, that would be a step up from Doubront.

It has been a busy few days and there are still a few big names expected to be dealt. The next day and a half will be fun.

Yesterday was Tulowitzki's debut with the Jays. Yesterday is also when the following question appeared on Jeopardy:

CLK2VQXUEAEBFVr.jpg

How's that for timing?

Seen that defensive play by the Royals ?!?!?! Sick defense right there.

The old fashioned 4-6-3 ground out, something you don't see every day. Quick thinking by both middle infielders, the SS to be in position for the flip and Infante for recognizing it and making the flip. Stuff like that should happen more often though but one of the IF's usually gives up on the play.

Okay, the Jays are indeed going all-in and giving up a lot of their youth. They've dealt Daniel Norris and two other pitching prospects for David Price, a player who they have no shot at re-signing in the offseason. Is that going to be enough to make the play-in game for the wildcard? For what they've given up, it better be.

Am a Yankee fan, don't follow ball too closely; but still not sure how Jays think they can match up with top teams in league, let alone just the American East.

Am a Yankee fan, don't follow ball too closely; but still not sure how Jays think they can match up with top teams in league, let alone just the American East.

I don't think the Jays are realistically targeting the AL East but rather the wild card play-in game. Having 13 games against New York provides a bit of hope that they could make up the gap in the division but deep down, they probably think they're too far back. As for the rest of the league, that's not all that important. They want to be in a playoff game, even if it's initially just the game to get into the playoffs. And if Price starts that game, they have a good chance of getting into an ALDS series. After 20+ years of missing the playoffs, that's still a big step in the right direction, even if they're far from World Series contenders.

Like I said not close follower of ball anymore, but 3 prospects for rental seems fine if a series contender, not simply to squeak into playoffs.

(but maybe prospects not real blue-chippers?)

One of the three is a blue chipper (Norris) although he has struggled at AAA this year. One is a near-MLB ready depth starter (could be a #5 or a serviceable call-up) while the other is a few years away from being MLB ready and probably profiles as a #4 guy, maybe #3 if he can harness his command.

One of the three is a blue chipper (Norris) although he has struggled at AAA this year. One is a near-MLB ready depth starter (could be a #5 or a serviceable call-up) while the other is a few years away from being MLB ready and probably profiles as a #4 guy, maybe #3 if he can harness his command.

I believe AA just raped the future for the present. I don't believe he does this if his butt were not on the line. Desperation. I like AA and hope it works out. All -IN. Maybe the jays become so successful that Price chooses to resign in the friendly environs. Do like the Mr.T signing.

Well, the Jays are in second in the AL East right now, currently tied for the second wildcard spot, and only about 5 games back of the Yankees, with I think 10 games left between the two teams together, and 55ish games left in the season.

In the week prior to the trade deadline, they drastically improved the most potent offense in baseball, significantly improved their fielding, added some relief pitching, and added the #1 starter in the league to thei rotation. The Yanks are not having the best of years, it would not be surprising for this new-look Blue Jays to catch up to the pinstripes.

In the week prior to the trade deadline, they drastically improved the most potent offense in baseball, significantly improved their fielding, added some relief pitching, and added the #1 starter in the league to thei rotation. The Yanks are not having the best of years, it would not be surprising for this new-look Blue Jays to catch up to the pinstripes.

I wouldn't call Price the #1 starter in the league. He's close but not the best. Zack Greinke is running away with that mantra this year.

As for catching the Yankees, the head-to-head games will really matter. If they play near .500 against them or worse, they're really going to be in tough to catch them. If they take 8 or more of the 13 games, then it could be interesting. I have to think that if Pineda is out for a while for the Yanks, they'll add some sort of pitcher in the August 'waiver-trade' period to shore up the rotation.

I wouldn't call Price the #1 starter in the league. He's close but not the best. Zack Greinke is running away with that mantra this year.

This year, sure. I was thinking more consistently, year-after-year.

With that said, keep in mind Greinke pitches in the National League, which inflates pitchers' numbers by making them bat. He's having an exceptional season, just the same, but there's a reason the Cy Young is split one per league -- with the DH rule in the American League, the National League pitchers would win almost every year. (look at the top qualified starting pitchers by ERA right now... the only AL pitcher with a better ERA than Price is Sonny Gray. Meanwhile, there are 8 NL pitchers ahead of him.)

Never understood why the National League won't use the DH. The pitcher batting is such a boring feature in the National. I enjoy the show much more when I watch American League teams playing.

What style do you guys prefer ?

Never understood why the National League won't use the DH. The pitcher batting is such a boring feature in the National. I enjoy the show much more when I watch American League teams playing.

I grew up on AL rules, I prefer them.

However, before interleague play became normal, I did like the novelty of watching AL pitchers futilely trying to hit during away games at the world series. Now it's commonplace.

I suppose the NL makes the manager much more important...you have to be far more active - you pull pitchers not just because they're tired or having a bad games, but because you are running out of chances to tie the game and you need to score a run.

About the manager, it's true.

Too many pitchers change is not what I prefer. But it's totally cool whan the 4th game of a series goes to the 15th inning and all the pitchers are tired. You see position players pitch and it's freaking nice !!

I'm used to the AL style but I do like the strategy behind double switches which you only get in the NL. I'd like to see one uniform system but it wouldn't really bother me whichever way they went. When I was a pitcher (which was for most of my playing days before I blew out my knee), I hit...and it wasn't pretty. So if MLB wants to keep the pitchers flailing away, that's fine. Maybe, if both leagues had pitchers hit, the odd one might be inclined to try to improve at the plate. Or, if they want to save them the embarrassment, that's fine too.

I'm split on DH.

On one hand I think of pitchers like goalies and having a pitcher hit is like asking a goalie to take a shootout.

On the other, "designated hitters" and "pinch runners" make baseball look so lazy.

Keith Olbermann has covered how it doesn't create any advantage or disadvantage and it merely separates the leagues. I like the leagues being distinct. Otherwise it's just two conferences.

Why not just drop the rotation by 1 for both leagues? No designated hitter. No pitchers going up to bat.