Official MLB Discussion Thread

Quebecois

It was an entertaining game but boy, the Jays' offence is frustrating to watch when they're scuffling.  Swinging for the fences isn't appropriate in each and every situation.  It should have been over in the 9th but Bautista didn't get the runners over.  As a result, that left the double play in order and Martin got too aggressive trying to end it with one swing.  It worked out in the end but they've been struggling since September, it would be nice to see the odd adjustment here and there.

• 3 weeks later...

If everything goes right for both teams, I predict  Kluber for 4 innings and then  Miller for 3 and Allen for 2. 

We should see Lester for at least 3 as well for the Cubs.

Will Chapman be 100% ????

Ya game 7's like these are quite entertaining. You throw all your team at them to get the job done since you don't have to think of the next game. Hoping for a close game throughout. A walk off would be pretty crazy for a world series but if that's the case that means Cleveland is winning so I don't want that. I'll be cheering on the Cubs but my prediction is Cleveland takes it unfortunately.

3 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

If everything goes right for both teams, I predict  Kluber for 4 innings and then  Miller for 3 and Allen for 2. 

Why only 4 for Kluber?  It's short rest but he should be able to go 5 without much difficulty; 6 isn't out of the question. 

I don't think Chapman will be able to go too long.  I don't know why he was in with a 5 run lead yesterday, especially after he had the 8 out save in Game 5.  But it's all hands on deck so I'm sure he'll make an appearance.

19 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

15 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Why only 4 for Kluber?  It's short rest but he should be able to go 5 without much difficulty; 6 isn't out of the question. 

I don't think Chapman will be able to go too long.  I don't know why he was in with a 5 run lead yesterday, especially after he had the 8 out save in Game 5.  But it's all hands on deck so I'm sure he'll make an appearance.

Kluber :  4

Miller :  2.1

Allen : 2

(Shaw : 1  and  Bauer : 0.2)

Call me Poor man's Marty McFly.

• 1 month later...

It has been a weird free agency so far as a lot of the sluggers have had hard times landing deals.  Edwin Encarnacion, who was one of the top power hitters in baseball last year, finally just signed, agreeing to a 3+1 deal with Cleveland worth $20 million per.  That's less guaranteed money compared to the offer they turned down from the Jays ~6 weeks ago.

12 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It has been a weird free agency so far as a lot of the sluggers have had hard times landing deals.  Edwin Encarnacion, who was one of the top power hitters in baseball last year, finally just signed, agreeing to a 3+1 deal with Cleveland worth $20 million per.  That's less guaranteed money compared to the offer they turned down from the Jays ~6 weeks ago.

From what I've read he would of signed with the Jays had they not have gone out and signed Kendrys Morales shortly after making the offer to Encarnacion. Encarnacion felt he deserved time to test the market but looks like the Jays did not agree. 

12 hours ago, Habsfan84 said:

From what I've read he would of signed with the Jays had they not have gone out and signed Kendrys Morales shortly after making the offer to Encarnacion. Encarnacion felt he deserved time to test the market but looks like the Jays did not agree.

In Toronto's defence, they made him what turned out to be a strong offer (better than he got elsewhere) and didn't want to lose out on their Plan B if Encarnacion wanted to test the market further.  The free agent market had already been open for a week and a bit before the Jays made him that offer, it's not like they didn't allow him to talk to other teams before offering 4/80.  Yes, they could have waited longer if they thought the market was going to be as weak as it was but if they did think that, they probably wouldn't have made him that offer (they'd have went lower).

The Jays misread the market.  There are a number of available free agent DH/1B options still on the market who are as good as Morales.  They could have waited.

They should ahve been able to assess that supply was greater than demand for DH/1B this year and with Edwin the best on the market, even if they missed out on him, they had time for a Plan B. 

Maybe it's just me but I view Morales higher than the other guys left on the market (I worry about Trumbo falling back to his normal numbers and getting paid for more than that).  With the exception of 2014 where he signed midseason because of the qualifying offer, he has been a consistent above average power hitter.  I wouldn't be shocked if his numbers and Encarnacion's aren't all that far apart next season.  Yes, Edwin is the better hitter and isn't a full-time DH but in terms of replacing his offence in the lineup, Morales is a pretty good second option, one that I don't that they moved early on.  I agree they probably misread the market overall but I think they got the best possible replacement.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What I don't like about baseball is the way the game can drag on for hours in extra innings. I have come up with the perfect solution to this problem. I suggest that if after 9 innings  the game is tied the teams play one inning with 6 men on the field and nobody allowed to line up outside the infield before the pitch . If after that extra inning the game is still a draw the game should be decided in a home run derby! Now that would be exciting!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

What I don't like about baseball is the way the game can drag on for hours in extra innings. I have come up with the perfect solution to this problem. I suggest that if after 9 innings  the game is tied the teams play one inning with 6 men on the field and nobody allowed to line up outside the infield before the pitch . If after that extra inning the game is still a draw the game should be decided in a home run derby! Now that would be exciting!

Have you seen what they're actually considering to solve this 'problem'?  They're looking at switching to softball rules in one of the lower levels where in extras, a runner starts on second base every inning.

On 04/03/2017 at 1:03 PM, dlbalr said:

Have you seen what they're actually considering to solve this 'problem'?  They're looking at switching to softball rules in one of the lower levels where in extras, a runner starts on second base every inning.

Actually, I kind of like this idea.

On 04/03/2017 at 6:03 PM, dlbalr said:

I was speaking tongue in cheek there. lol. Didn't think they would ever mess with 'merica's pass time the way the have with Canada's passion. Maybe now they can fix football and have a field goal competition to end ties, or maybe bring in tires for the QBs to throw balls through. #iftitaintbrokedontfixit Just imagine the PGA ties being ended with a round on the local mini-putt course. "Woods is stepping up the the 6th tee. In the past the windmill has caused trouble for so many golfers..."

30 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Actually, I kind of like this idea.

Leadoff hitter bunts the runner to third, then go for the sac fly.  Rinse and repeat until one of the two teams fails to execute these basic functions.  That's not really going to bring much excitement to extra innings.

15 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

I was speaking tongue in cheek there. lol. Didn't think they would ever mess with 'merica's pass time the way the have with Canada's passion. Maybe now they can fix football and have a field goal competition to end ties, or maybe bring in tires for the QBs to throw balls through. #iftitaintbrokedontfixit Just imagine the PGA ties being ended with a round on the local mini-putt course. "Woods is stepping up the the 6th tee. In the past the windmill has caused trouble for so many golfers..."

I figured you were speaking tongue-in-cheek - it just gave me a spot to bring up the idea they're actually considering implementing to fix the problem that really isn't a problem.

18 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Leadoff hitter bunts the runner to third, then go for the sac fly.  Rinse and repeat until one of the two teams fails to execute these basic functions.  That's not really going to bring much excitement to extra innings.

Well, in my opinion, if you start the inning with a runner on base, you can also start it with 1 out...

Or a runner at 1st base.

10 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

Well, in my opinion, if you start the inning with a runner on base, you can also start it with 1 out...

Or a runner at 1st base.

I don't know the numbers on this but I imagine the probabilities of scoring with 1 out/runner on 1st would be similar to 0 out/no one on to start an inning.  I think that's why they use 2nd base at the softball level.  Even 1 out/runner on 2nd probably wouldn't be much different than a clean start but it would at least eliminate the automatic bunt possibility.