Oh No! How can we indoctrinate our children if you educate them?

simonus

I was talking about Catholic schools and my own personal experiences in them. Religion didn't affect my science classes in Catholic schools. We learned about evolution just like everyone else.

For you, maybe. But it is different than saying "Religion doesn't play a role in science classes" in general.

For you, maybe. But it is different than saying "Religion doesn't play a role in science classes" in general.

I went to a religious school too. The stuff you learn in science class might contradict the stuff you learn in a religion class but religion still doesn't play any role in science classes. Nobody bothers to think about what they learn in school; they memorize the religion answers for that test, ace it, and then forget everything while simultaneously memorizing all the science answers for the test and then forgetting them afterward. Never let school interfere with your education!

What I mean is that religion can play a role in WHAT will be teached in school. Thinking that a religious school in Québec and a religious school in a very Catholic conservative area will teach the kids the same programm is naive.

Do you think that USA and Germany teachears teach the WWII history classes the same way ??

What I mean is that religion can play a role in WHAT will be teached in school. Thinking that a religious school in Québec and a religious school in a very Catholic conservative area will teach the kids the same programm is naive.

Do you think that USA and Germany teachears teach the WWII history classes the same way ??

But the schools hire ordinary science teachers not their own special religious science teachers. I went to a Jewish school and the science teachers were often not Jewish, it didn't make a difference. They teach their subject. There's a curriculum that every teacher in Quebec needs to teach (e.g. 416, 436) and that's what they'll do (except that none of them can teach for their lives so no one will learn a thing). A history teacher in Germany is probably going to be a little bit biased in his opinion - same for the American one - but when it comes to science classes, the school just hires whoever to teach the course, whether he shares their religious views or not. I couldn't even tell you if my old math and science teachers believed in God or not, it never made itself apparent in a secular class.

They all have to pass the same standardized tests, so they're all gonna teach the material so the students can pass.

They all have to pass the same standardized tests, so they're all gonna teach the material so the students can pass.

No way. Education is a provincial power here. Some schools in Alberta teach Creationism. Here in Québec, these schools would burn in the next hours...

Edit : Just to point out boys that history, geography, anthropology, politic, etc ARE sciences as well as physics, chemistry, etc....

Edited by JoeLassister

Edit : Just to point out boys that history, geography, anthropology, politic, etc ARE sciences as well as physics, chemistry, etc....

History is full of opinions. As they say, history is written by the victors. There's no way I'd call it a science. Physics, Chemistry, etc. are all taught pretty much the same way around the world - there are universal laws, theories, and facts. History, like religion, is taught different everywhere. Yeah, everyone learns the same winners and losers and people, but exactly what they learn about those things can be quite different. I mean, in the US we're taught the American Revolution was a great thing, but in England, that's not gonna be the case.

History is full of opinions. As they say, history is written by the victors. There's no way I'd call it a science. Physics, Chemistry, etc. are all taught pretty much the same way around the world - there are universal laws, theories, and facts. History, like religion, is taught different everywhere. Yeah, everyone learns the same winners and losers and people, but exactly what they learn about those things can be quite different. I mean, in the US we're taught the American Revolution was a great thing, but in England, that's not gonna be the case.

All of this is true.

Don't know for you, but here, we call geography, anthropology, sociology and history "sciences humaines" (don't know how to translate this, maybe social sciences or human sciences ???)

That's why I stepped when you guys said that religion didn't play a role in science classes.

All of this is true.

Don't know for you, but here, we call geography, anthropology, sociology and history "sciences humaines" (don't know how to translate this, maybe social sciences or human sciences ???)

That's why I stepped when you guys said that religion didn't play a role in science classes.

Yeah, I suppose we call them social sciences or humanities also. Although, I call history a social study instead of a social science. I guess when I hear the word science, the social sciences don't come to mind at all.

Yeah, I suppose we call them social sciences or humanities also. Although, I call history a social study instead of a social science. I guess when I hear the word science, the social sciences don't come to mind at all.

Ok.

But what about biology ?? Religion for sure plays a role in biology teaching somewhere ??? no ?

Sorry, but what part of my comment that says "Religion plays NO ROLE in Science" does this affect?

Religious leaders may try to make it a part of the program, but the reality is that Religion is based on myth and parable and has no basis for inclusion in science.

I thought my comment on the Flying Spaghetti Monster would have made that evident...for those that don't know what it is then google the name.

• 4 weeks later...

Religion is for those who can't face reality.

How can any sane, intellgent person, living in modern times believe in such foolishness?

Pile of crap, meant to scare you into being a good person. Just be good! Do we really need an after life threat to understand that basic concept?

God is a man made belief, and man made him in his image.

Schools should just teach that, AS FACT!

Sorry if I offend you "believers", but also elves, dwarves, and the easter bunny are myths !

Santa, however, does exist, as do ghosts, but they still are residing on St Catherines St.

Honestly thought Pollock would lead them down the rd, but even he can't stand the current lineup!

ByeBye Cpt Smurff!!!!!!!

No, I am not on the Jager again! Just a bottle of rum. Yohoho from Italia!!!! Home of the catholic money machine.

Religion is nothing but big business and brainwashing and none of it, except from the fact that it is ancient foolishness, should be taught in schools.