So, I was bored... looking at Free Agents...

TheDriveFor25

Not sure if some of these players have already resigned with their clubs, but I came up with a list of free agents that should be kind of cheap... not the Gaboriks or Hossas, and especially not the Bouwmeesters (geez, he'd look good in a Habs uni.)but players that would make our team better...

C's : S.Pahlsson. B.Morrison. (Both should be relatively cheap and if the Habs use Pleks in a trade then we might need a new #2.. hopefully behind Vinny.)

RW's : M.Havlat. T.Bertuzzi. I.Lapperiere. M.Knuble. (I would love for the Habs to get both Havlat and Burt, but the other two are both pretty good defensively and are intense.)

LW's: V.Peltonen. A.TANGUAY! (We need Tangs back.)

D: J.Leopold. N.Boynton. MA Bergeron. D.Morris. M.Ohlund. (Of course, Komisarek and Bouwmeester would be sweet, but we need depth. Our weakest spot this year was on the blueline. Ohlund would be a stud for the Habs.)

G: M.Biron. (A good french kid who could step up and help Carey.. if he is still around)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That way, we could trade for Vinny and have a team of...

Tanguay - Lecavalier - Bertuzzi

Pacioretty - Pahlsson - Havlat

Dagostini - Lapierre - Latendresse

Laperriere - Chipcura - Laraque

Markov Bouwmeester

Gorges Ohlund

M. Bergeron Emelin

Hamrlik

I actually think this would work under the cap...

(Obviously, PLeks and the Kostys are gone.. for Vinny)

Totally sick of hearing about Vinny. He ain't coming, and with his contract, I wouldn't take him. As of now, both Hossa and Gaborik should be available, and both of them are superior in skill anyways.

Plus, it's fun to pretend you're playing NHL09, but no team moves actually does this amount of retooling in the modern era.

On this list, Ohlund would be my priority item. Laperriere might be useful too.

Wamsley has converted me to the idea that we should make minor moves this season and leave cap flexibility for 2011, when the cap shrinks and desperate clubs are going to be dumping bona fide elite players; so this is probably the way we should be thinking. Good thread!

I agree.. Ohlund is one of my faves from the list. And yes, I am sorta playing NHL09 on here, but it is fun to wonder.

You have to figure though, with so many free agents leaving the team... this is the perfect time to put a new face on the ice, a whole new retooling.

And yes, Hossa and Gaborik are both elite players, but NO, they are not as good as Lecavalier. He is one of the top 5 or 6 players in the world.

I dont really see anyone in there that'd interest me. Ohlund, maybe, but only as an upgrade on Hamrlik.

As for Hossa/Gaborik... Neither of them can carry Vinny's jockstrap. I've had about enough of those iffy, moody, self-absorbed, one-dimensional Euro skilled players who never seems to produce unless "they are well-surrounded". No màs. We need a franchise player who can lead the rest of the team, not another overrated player who'll be invisible half the time and doesnt have a winner attitude/record (that means Joe Thornton can suck it).

I dont really see anyone in there that'd interest me. Ohlund, maybe, but only as an upgrade on Hamrlik.

As for Hossa/Gaborik... Neither of them can carry Vinny's jockstrap. I've had about enough of those iffy, moody, self-absorbed, one-dimensional Euro skilled players who never seems to produce unless "they are well-surrounded". No màs. We need a franchise player who can lead the rest of the team, not another overrated player who'll be invisible half the time and doesnt have a winner attitude/record (that means Joe Thornton can suck it).

finish last

Draft him

keep him with a huge contract.

Not sure if some of these players have already resigned with their clubs, but I came up with a list of free agents that should be kind of cheap... not the Gaboriks or Hossas, and especially not the Bouwmeesters (geez, he'd look good in a Habs uni.)but players that would make our team better...

C's : S.Pahlsson. B.Morrison. (Both should be relatively cheap and if the Habs use Pleks in a trade then we might need a new #2.. hopefully behind Vinny.)

RW's : M.Havlat. T.Bertuzzi. I.Lapperiere. M.Knuble. (I would love for the Habs to get both Havlat and Burt, but the other two are both pretty good defensively and are intense.)

LW's: V.Peltonen. A.TANGUAY! (We need Tangs back.)

D: J.Leopold. N.Boynton. MA Bergeron. D.Morris. M.Ohlund. (Of course, Komisarek and Bouwmeester would be sweet, but we need depth. Our weakest spot this year was on the blueline. Ohlund would be a stud for the Habs.)

G: M.Biron. (A good french kid who could step up and help Carey.. if he is still around)

If the Montreal Canadiens end up trading for Vinny, it will be a LOUD AND CLEAR signal from the ownership that they are more interested in selling TV contracts and jerseys than icing a championship team (see MLSE over the past 10 years for more examples of the above). Vinny is a good player, and elite player no doubt, but his contract is absolutely crippling heading into a lower cap period.

We have already established that this team needs far more than one player to fix all of its problems, so tying up 8m/season for one guy that has had two surgeries in the past 12 months isn't exactly my idea of fixing everything. His production could be matched by two solid players each netting 20g/50pts per season, for far less money at the end of the day.

With the lottery, you're not even sure you can get the 1st overall pick anymore.

still. when you're in the top 5 you have better chance to get a bona fide star if not a super star.

How has Hossa ever had a reputation like that? He's a horse, he's always working, going headfirst into the grind to get the puck. A total complete player. The only knock on Gaborik is the injury thing, but this past surgery is supposed to solve the problem permanently. Since the lockout, he's been better than a point per game player. NEITHER of these players have been pegged as 'soft' Euros in their careers and have always been praised by their teammates. I think you must be confusing them with Samsanov and Zherdev.

What's the big deal about Lecavalier? Sure, he's also a complete player but is his contract worth what he brings? No chance in hell. That's maybe the kind of contract you give to a Crosby. Personally, I don't think any player deserves that kind of contract and will probably castrate a team in the cap era. Plus, as previously shown, his career stats are only marginally better than Koivu's.

I don't think he's in the league of Hossa or Gaborik. I can think of about 15 players, if not more, I would rather have on my team than him. Especially since he would rather spend the rest of his life sunbathing than play for the CH. Boy, that's some kind of heart. But it's OKAY, he's french, so it doesn't matter.

Lecavalier: GP: 787 G: 302 A: 367 P: 669

Hossa: GP: 775 G: 339 A: 380 P: 719

Gaborik: GP: 502 G: 219 A: 218 P: 437

As we can see, Hossa's numbers destroy Vinny's flat out. Gaborik has played 285 games less but only has 232 points less and only 83 goals less. Also, Vinny has been playing with St. Louis almost his entire career.

Oh, and check out these +/-'s

Lecavalier: -89

Hossa: +112

Gaborik: +54

So who is carrying who's jockstrap?

Edited by ForumGhost

Gaborik may be the only possibility out of those 3. Hossa will take less to play again in Detroit. Vinny isn't going anywhere, whether he is french or not, he isn't coming.

The surgery on Gaborik was a success, he was mis diagnosed with groin problems when it was his hip causing the groin problems. Obviosly time will tell on him but he would be a great option. Speed, speed, speed.

One thing for sure is they need to upgrade a bunch of positions including the coaching staff.

How has Hossa ever had a reputation like that? He's a horse, he's always working, going headfirst into the grind to get the puck. A total complete player. The only knock on Gaborik is the injury thing, but this past surgery is supposed to solve the problem permanently. Since the lockout, he's been better than a point per game player. NEITHER of these players have been pegged as 'soft' Euros in their careers and have always been praised by their teammates. I think you must be confusing them with Samsanov and Zherdev.

What's the big deal about Lecavalier? Sure, he's also a complete player but is his contract worth what he brings? No chance in hell. That's maybe the kind of contract you give to a Crosby. Personally, I don't think any player deserves that kind of contract and will probably castrate a team in the cap era. Plus, as previously shown, his career stats are only marginally better than Koivu's.

I don't think he's in the league of Hossa or Gaborik. I can think of about 15 players, if not more, I would rather have on my team than him. Especially since he would rather spend the rest of his life sunbathing than play for the CH. Boy, that's some kind of heart. But it's OKAY, he's french, so it doesn't matter.

Lecavalier: GP: 787 G: 302 A: 367 P: 669

Hossa: GP: 775 G: 339 A: 380 P: 719

Gaborik: GP: 502 G: 219 A: 218 P: 437

As we can see, Hossa's numbers destroy Vinny's flat out. Gaborik has played 285 games less but only has 232 points less and only 83 goals less. Also, Vinny has been playing with St. Louis almost his entire career.

Oh, and check out these +/-'s

Lecavalier: -89

Hossa: +112

Gaborik: +54

So who is carrying who's jockstrap?

Ok, so you get both of Gabo and Hossa... who is their center? Todd White? :lol:

Maurice the plumber + Vinny + Joe the electrician >>>> Hossa + Todd White + Gaborik.

The commandment of GMship in hockey is :

You build from the net up. Then, you start at center.

+ we have TONS of speedy, skilled whatever wingers.

we have no center worthy of 1st line duty.

Except that the only top line centre that may be available is the Sedin package and MAYBE Cammalleri. I say maybe because his status as a top line player is questionable. Realistically, if Bob again decides his need for a big centre far outweighs that of a superstar, he will probably be looking at Antropov and a couple others of similar status first. But in my opinion, if you have a chance at a talent like Gaborik, I think you take it if you can afford it no mater what. Anyways, he's the kind of guy that can take a player like Pleks and boost him into a 1st line centre.

Edited by ForumGhost

Except that the only top line centre that may be available is the Sedin package and MAYBE Cammalleri. I say maybe because his status as a top line player is questionable. Realistically, if Bob again decides his need for a big centre far outweighs that of a superstar, he will probably be looking at Antropov and a couple others of similar status first. But in my opinion, if you have a chance at a talent like Gaborik, I think you take it if you can afford it no mater what. Anyways, he's the kind of guy that can take a player like Pleks and boost him into a 1st line centre.

Cammalleri isn't a top line centre. He's a top line winger. Important difference. Us wanting him to be our #1 C would be like Anaheim fans wanting Higgins to be their #2 C. They may be listed as centres, but they're acutally wingers. You notice where Cammalleri was when he suckerpunched Havlat in the first round? Not taking the faceoff.

I think people are underrating Lecavalier. Crunching his career numbers overlooks the fact that he broke in very young and developed somewhat slowly and awkwardly. As a 23/24-year old, he was a 30-goal man and in the 75-point range. But once he hit age 27 or so - the classic age at which a player matures - he exploded for 102 and 92 points. Last season, seriously hampered by injury and an abysmal supporting cast, he regressed to 67 points. But to me there's no question that a healthy Lecavalier is a top-5 NHL player - certainly in the top 10.

Were the Habs to acquire him, I wouldn't be crying in my beer because it would be fun to see a francophone player of that calibre on the :hlogo: . But I am one of those who thinks his contract is ridiculous even for a top-5 player, especially given that the cap is likely to shrink. Longer-term, it would be a terrible move for the franchise, especially since we don't know if last year's injuries are a sign of things to come. Nonetheless, you don't need to denigrade Vinny's on-ice abilities in order to argue that we shouldn't trade for him. He's a franchise player, but *still* not worth it IMHO.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

There's no way i want the Habs to get Bertuzzi, he i washed up. As for Morrison, he is not much better than a 3rd liner, much rather have Pleks. You must be a Nucks fan, maybe the Habs should try and get Naslund too.

I think people are underrating Lecavalier.

Wait, did that just get said by a serious poster on a Habs board?

I'm probably the only one not too worried about the cap shrinking. If it does, it'll be by a million or maybe, in an extreme case, two.... not a lot. Unless we really are in the Great Depression Part II, and then we're all screwed in so many ways that I don't care about the Habs' contract situation anymore. There's a 2 year buffer on the cap, and if the economy is rebounding at some point in the next 12 months than the cap will simply stagnate. That raises other potential problems, but it's a lot different than the cap dropping $8m or whatever figure people are tossing around. I mean, look around the NHL... St. Louis is in a state that has a hard hit economy, but they rebounded greatly this year. Same with Raleigh. Denver was hit hard, but people would've went if their team didn't stink and the Nuggets weren't doing so well.

Unfortunately, it just shows that the vast majority of people that are losing their jobs couldn't afford to go to NHL games to begin with. Those fans were outpriced by the NHL over a decade ago.

If the Montreal Canadiens end up trading for Vinny, it will be a LOUD AND CLEAR signal from the ownership that they are more interested in selling TV contracts and jerseys than icing a championship team (see MLSE over the past 10 years for more examples of the above). Vinny is a good player, and elite player no doubt, but his contract is absolutely crippling heading into a lower cap period.

We have already established that this team needs far more than one player to fix all of its problems, so tying up 8m/season for one guy that has had two surgeries in the past 12 months isn't exactly my idea of fixing everything. His production could be matched by two solid players each netting 20g/50pts per season, for far less money at the end of the day.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I agree wholeheartedly...taking on Vinny's contract is stupidity given where the cap is heading.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I agree wholeheartedly...taking on Vinny's contract is stupidity given where the cap is heading.

Vinny at 6.8 ?

or Koivu at 4.75?

If you have Koivu, you have to have a guy like Kovalev = 9M total

+ another 1-2-3M guy... = 10-12M

If you have Vinny, you can have Higgins and D'Agostini on his wings and it's still called a 1st line...

=10M total.

how's that stupidity-cap-shit?

you guys are the first to cry out loud to get a real 1st line center. however, when there is a concensus for a proposal, he's always overpaid.

(Arnott a long time ago, after that Brière, Richards, now Lecavalier)

yet, those guys are ALL improvments over our diminutive captain.

Just for the record, Vinny's contract has a cap hit of 7.72 million for the next 11 seasons.

Let's not forget that Gaborik has the reputation for being a cancer in the locker room!

I haven't really heard that, just that he chaffed under the Minny system. Don't forget, Guy LaFleur retired because of Lemaire's system. No offense first player is going to enjoy giving up offense.

Just for the record, Vinny's contract has a cap hit of 7.72 million for the next 11 seasons.

I haven't really heard that, just that he chaffed under the Minny system. Don't forget, Guy LaFleur retired because of Lemaire's system. No offense first player is going to enjoy giving up offense.

+/- 900k :P

thanks.

still my comments hold.

my opinion, using Higgins (it could be Kost, Lats, etc) as an example for the 3rd player on the line is that a

Higgins - Lecavalier - rookie (d'Ago? Pacio?)

is better than

Higgins - Koivu - Kovalev

and costs about the same, if not cheaper.