So, I was bored... looking at Free Agents...

TheDriveFor25

Please no more imports!! We need North American players AKA Cammelleri, Lecavalier, Bouwmeester. These players know what the stanley cup is. No disrespect to euro's but NA players want it more! End of stroy. No Gaboriks etc..

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please no more imports!! We need North American players AKA Cammelleri, Lecavalier, Bouwmeester. These players know what the stanley cup is. No disrespect to euro's but NA players want it more! End of stroy. No Gaboriks etc..

thanks for saying out loud is all I will say.

With the lottery, you're not even sure you can get the 1st overall pick anymore.

And thats the way it should be.

I would like to see Francois Beauchemin or Leopold. unfortunatley I don't see anyone coming here.

Lecavalier will never come here for a number of reasons

1) Nothing is oging to happen between Lawton and Gainey after their war of words in the press

2) Lecavaliers contract is way to cumbersome for anyone to handle. Especially with the drop expected in the cap over the next few seasons

3) Tampa wans too much in return and other teams could probably outbid them, but maybe #2 above scares them off

He hasn't proven to be that franchise player yet, and hes been in the league 10 years. Brad Richards carried that Tampa team the year they won the cup

Edited by kaos

He hasn't proven to be that franchise player yet, and hes been in the league 10 years. Brad Richards carried that Tampa team the year they won the cup

:huh:

Richards had great playoffs that year but he didnt "carry" the team. He just happened to score 7 game winning goals! :P No doubt he's clutch, but it's Vinny and St-Louis that swept us in Round 2, and in the SCF it's the Lecavalier-Iginla fight that set the tone for the Bolts. Oh, and notice how Richards never been the same player as soon as he lost Modin on his wing and since then his pts total has declined steadily.

Vinny is a franchise forward, there's really no doubts about it in the NHL circles. Only here amongst the usual sceptics.

Wait, did that just get said by a serious poster on a Habs board?

I'm probably the only one not too worried about the cap shrinking. If it does, it'll be by a million or maybe, in an extreme case, two.... not a lot. Unless we really are in the Great Depression Part II, and then we're all screwed in so many ways that I don't care about the Habs' contract situation anymore. There's a 2 year buffer on the cap, and if the economy is rebounding at some point in the next 12 months than the cap will simply stagnate. That raises other potential problems, but it's a lot different than the cap dropping $8m or whatever figure people are tossing around. I mean, look around the NHL... St. Louis is in a state that has a hard hit economy, but they rebounded greatly this year. Same with Raleigh. Denver was hit hard, but people would've went if their team didn't stink and the Nuggets weren't doing so well.

Unfortunately, it just shows that the vast majority of people that are losing their jobs couldn't afford to go to NHL games to begin with. Those fans were outpriced by the NHL over a decade ago.

See my fear is that the NHL has lived off an inflated CDN $ and being ahead of the curve in online marketing, but they are

a gate driven league. Their numbers are being reported as growing slightly, but you also have to take into account the

increased attendance figures in Boston, St. Louis and Chicago over the last 12 months. Traditional markets that were artificially

depressed because of cheap/incompetent owners. With their rebound (especially Chicago) how much does this cover the declining numbers

in places like Florida/Phoenix and Tampa? Next year those franchises will not provide any bump at all.

Also, talk in NBA circles (a 41 game home schedule with comparative pricing) is that 66% of the league is reporting losses

and are asking for handouts, there renewal numbers are apparently very poor as well. With the NHL being the 4th major league

how many people in the US are going to keep their NBA tickets instead of NHL, how many are going to use their disposable

income on NFL, MLB and NBA before the NHL?

I don't think it is unrealistic to see more than a $2M drop in the cap. In EVERY Canadian market the NHL is the number one

ticket in town, but that is not so in the US. I am not worried about the Habs, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

Wow, I can't believe you people. Gaborik has NEVER had a reputation of being a locker room cancer. You are just assuming that because he's European. You know what that is? Bigotry. I thought that after the Euro-heavy Red Wings dominated their way to the Stanley Cup (with a European captain, mind you), that some of these idiotic, ignorant stereotypes would be put to rest.

I guess that's what I get for having faith in people.

Also, is Vinny's performance in 11 years going to be worth 7.7 million? I doubt it. I would gladly take him for 7.7 a year if it was something like 5 years. But 11 years? With a ntc? Franchise suicide. I wouldn't be paying any player 7.7 when he is 40-something, so I'm not trying to play favorites here. My point is that it's waaay to much of a commitment. People are just jumping on his bandwagon because they want a french superstar or the next J.B. or whatever but let me remind you again THAT HE DOESN'T EVEN WANT TO PLAY HERE. Next coming of J.B.? What a joke.

The captain of my team would not only have to want to play here, but understand what it means to play for the CH and everything its stands for. Vinny obviously does not. You know who does? Saku Koivu. For standing by this city and what he's given to it over his career, Koivu has more in common Béliveau than Vinny ever did. :hlogo:

Edited by ForumGhost

Wow, I can't believe you people. Gaborik has NEVER had a reputation of being a locker room cancer. You are just assuming that because he's European. You know what that is? Bigotry. I thought that after the Euro-heavy Red Wings dominated their way to the Stanley Cup (with a European captain, mind you), that some of these idiotic, ignorant stereotypes would be put to rest.

I guess that's what I get for having faith in people.

Also, is Vinny's performance in 11 years going to be worth 7.7 million? I doubt it. I would gladly take him for 7.7 a year if it was something like 5 years. But 11 years? With a ntc? Franchise suicide. I wouldn't be paying any player 7.7 when he is 40-something, so I'm not trying to play favorites here. My point is that it's waaay to much of a commitment. People are just jumping on his bandwagon because they want a french superstar or the next J.B. or whatever but let me remind you again THAT HE DOESN'T EVEN WANT TO PLAY HERE. Next coming of J.B.? What a joke.

The captain of my team would not only have to want to play here, but understand what it means to play for the CH and everything its stands for. Vinny obviously does not. You know who does? Saku Koivu. For standing by this city and what he's given to it over his career, Koivu has more in common Béliveau than Vinny ever did. :hlogo:

I don't like Gaborik because he can't play a full season. He has missed an average of 28 games per season over the last 5 years.

There is no doubt he is talented, but signing him to a big deal is risky too.

His nagging injury has been misdiagnosed in the past. They thought it was his groin when it was actually his hip (or vice versa, I forget). But this last surgery is supposed to have nailed it. It's still a risk, yes, but one I would be willing to bank on considering the skill. Plus, his injury prone history may decrease his market value anyways.

Edited by ForumGhost

Don't pay Vinny for that categorically insane contract. And don't pay Gaborik the $7 mil or whatever he's demanding, because you only get 20 games out of him. 'Misdiagnosis' or not, the Canadiens are not as bad as they showed this season and do not NEED to take on these kind of risks. We are not the New York Rangers or the Toronto Maple Leafs, looking for quick fixes to basic problems. Save the money and make your move if and when a bona-fide elite player shows up who doesn't carry a raft of risks, and doesn't have an obsence contract. (That's why I couldn't grasp Bob's reluctance to pursue Jokinen).

What we really need is not a Superstar Saviour. We need new coach who will implement a system, and a team culture that insulates rather than exposes the kids. We need the young players to man up and come to play next season. And we need an upgrade on the blueline, especially if we lose Komisarek. A decent C would obviously be nice, but rather than overpay we might be better off staggering through another year with Lang/Pleks/Koivu, or else looking for a mid-range player to tide us over, waiting until something falls from the tree.

Don't pay Vinny for that categorically insane contract. And don't pay Gaborik the $7 mil or whatever he's demanding, because you only get 20 games out of him. 'Misdiagnosis' or not, the Canadiens are not as bad as they showed this season and do not NEED to take on these kind of risks. We are not the New York Rangers or the Toronto Maple Leafs, looking for quick fixes to basic problems. Save the money and make your move if and when a bona-fide elite player shows up who doesn't carry a raft of risks, and doesn't have an obsence contract. (That's why I couldn't grasp Bob's reluctance to pursue Jokinen).

What we really need is not a Superstar Saviour. We need new coach who will implement a system, and a team culture that insulates rather than exposes the kids. We need the young players to man up and come to play next season. And we need an upgrade on the blueline, especially if we lose Komisarek. A decent C would obviously be nice, but rather than overpay we might be better off staggering through another year with Lang/Pleks/Koivu, or else looking for a mid-range player to tide us over, waiting until something falls from the tree.

Valid points.

However it's clear that to be a top contender we need elite players. We're lucky to have Markov, probably the most underrated, underappreciated D in the league, even by Habs fans (he's our MVP and nobody on the entire forum has him in his avatar!).

Price also has that elite potential... but after that we're very, very, very thin. AKost has the skills and physical packaged (he's way stronger than he looks) to become a dominant winger à la Heatley. Then... there's not really anyone else you can consider league elite material, unless Lats suddenly take a huge leap and breaks out offensively to become some sort of Corey Perry top winger; or Pacioretty comes back with a vengeance and becomes some sort of youthful Shane Doan... but those are very long reaches.

So the Habs do need to be on the lookout for elite guys up-front. I agree that the UFAs-quick-fix philosophy rarely works... but Gainey has been so conservative and unsuccessful in his latest trades that I doubt he'll get us that elite forward via trades.

+/- 900k :P

thanks.

still my comments hold.

my opinion, using Higgins (it could be Kost, Lats, etc) as an example for the 3rd player on the line is that a

Higgins - Lecavalier - rookie (d'Ago? Pacio?)

is better than

Higgins - Koivu - Kovalev

and costs about the same, if not cheaper.

That's a great idea, why don't we just call him Mats Sundin so we can pay him close to 8m/season to play with rookie wingers and 2nd/3rd line guys for the next decade and then wonder why he never really came through like we thought he would.

I will reiterate my previous assertion ... signing Vinny, with his huge contract and very recent injuries, will take place for all of the wrong reasons and move this franchise closer and closer to MLSE territory.

Valid points.

However it's clear that to be a top contender we need elite players. We're lucky to have Markov, probably the most underrated, underappreciated D in the league, even by Habs fans (he's our MVP and nobody on the entire forum has him in his avatar!).

Price also has that elite potential... but after that we're very, very, very thin. AKost has the skills and physical packaged (he's way stronger than he looks) to become a dominant winger à la Heatley. Then... there's not really anyone else you can consider league elite material, unless Lats suddenly take a huge leap and breaks out offensively to become some sort of Corey Perry top winger; or Pacioretty comes back with a vengeance and becomes some sort of youthful Shane Doan... but those are very long reaches.

So the Habs do need to be on the lookout for elite guys up-front. I agree that the UFAs-quick-fix philosophy rarely works... but Gainey has been so conservative and unsuccessful in his latest trades that I doubt he'll get us that elite forward via trades.

We now have our first Markov avatar!

It would be nice to have an elite superstar up front, but unless the Thrashers dangle Kovalchuk I prefer to wait a summer

before shopping for one.

We now have our first Markov avatar!

It would be nice to have an elite superstar up front, but unless the Thrashers dangle Kovalchuk I prefer to wait a summer

before shopping for one.

:clap: @ avatar

Oh damn, is that him sitting on a couch?? What a punk, this kid has got to learn some respect for the CH! This is what happens when you give 20-something year old kids millions of dollars. The organization needs to keep a leash on these punks.

It's funny how underrated Markov is. He's in the range of a top-5 NHL defenceman in my book. Part of the reason is that he's never done a thing in the playoffs, though, which are the NHL's main star-making platform.

Kozed, I'm not sure Gainey's been all that conservative, nor all that 'unsuccessful' in trades. He made three *major* acquisitions last season - Tanguay, Lang and Schneider. Granted, he didn't trade roster players for them, but to me that says he's smart, not that he's unsuccessful. (Although we sure put a dent in our draft position with those moves). One of those players, Tanguay, is elite, albeit not a superstar.

I wouldn't complain if Gainey went out and got more elite players, but I think the Gainey/Timmins model is more about having lots and lots of good players, overcoming the opposition with waves. Certainly that was the model on display in 2008. It failed this season for several reasons, but one of them is that so many of our young players regressed. No team succeeds when its entire second line evaoprates. The immediate question is how to get more out of people like Plekanec and the Kostitsyns, who are far too talented to have the kind of seasons they did, and how to get a team that actually plays competent defence.

Also, I don't think the goal is to 'contend' next season. I would look for a stabilizing season, in which the new coach instils his system, and the whole team recommits to excellence and progressing in all aspects of the game. My goal would be a solid playoff team (not a bubble team) that gets into the second round and acquits itself well. In fact, I think the idea that we have to contend next season is an example of the mentality that can get you into trouble. So I still doubt that we need to go out there and nab a Big Name in the short term.

Oh damn, is that him sitting on a couch?? What a punk, this kid has got to learn some respect for the CH! This is what happens when you give 20-something year old kids millions of dollars. The organization needs to keep a leash on these punks.

:rolleyes:

I've been a big Markov booster for several years, but even I am guilty of forgetting how good he really is. However, when people ask me about the Habs' best players, and they inevitably lean towards Kovalev, Koivu, or the goalie, I am always quick to counter that Markov is by far the best player on the team.

Anyways, I'm not as anti-Gaborik signing as a lot of my contemporaries might be. I don't think he'll get a 5 year, $35m contract, but perhaps I'm ignorant as to what a team like LA might spring on him. I could see him getting a Kariya style contract (3 years, $18m), and I wouldn't be adverse to that. But I'd target Hossa first, if available.

That being said, it all depends on the coach we get. It really is about picking a vision for the team and following through on it.

That enigmatic writer ACF has been saying Markov was going to be one of the best in the league since early in the guy's career.

And I think I know why he isn't featured in more avatars: could he be any more ugly? :P

That enigmatic writer ACF has been saying Markov was going to be one of the best in the league since early in the guy's career.

And I think I know why he isn't featured in more avatars: could he be any more ugly? :P

Yup....

he could be Ovechkin

C'mon, what are you talking about? At the risk of having my orientation called in the question, I'm gunna say I think Ovechkin is totally mantractive.

I dunno. My girlfriend says he looks like a caveman.

Which I interpret to be bad.

I don't think anyone was uglier than Mike Ricci.

C'mon, what are you talking about? At the risk of having my orientation called in the question, I'm gunna say I think Ovechkin is totally mantractive.

ovy-office.jpg

Geico-Caveman-746145.jpg

Ovechkin's main source of endorsement $$.