Coyotes are done in Phoenix... OR will it be the Thrashers?

alexstream

The yotes have just filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection. (not sure exactly how to say it?!)

Balsillie has apparently put an offer forth an offer to buy them (/save them) for 212M, conditional to moving the team to Southern Ontario.

It will be all over the net in some minutes. It was on CBC minutes ago.

EDIT - this is new to the portrait :

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/274443.html

Ok, Bettman might have found his "anti-Balsillie" solution once again (cause we all know how much he hates Balsillie)

The article states, for the Shakespearean who can't read Molière, that a group from Vancouver (with a guy named Gaglardi who also tried to buy the Nucks 5 years ago) could be ready to buy the Trashers and move them to Hamilton for 2010-2011.

Look at how the little hypocrite will manage that...

Edited by alexstream

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The yotes have just filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection. (not sure exactly how to say it?!)

Balsillie has apparently put an offer forth an offer to buy them (/save them) for 212M, conditional to moving the team to Southern Ontario.

It will be all over the net in some minutes. It was on CBC minutes ago.

Is the chapter 11 filing enough to allow them to default on the very steep penalties they would incur by leaving? I was under the impression that they signed for some pretty wicked terms in order to get their new rink built.

Edited by sbhatt

Here's the CBC report online: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2009...xbalsillie.html

Can't say this is surprising; the fact that Balsillie is keeping the franchise afloat as we go is a little odd though (17 million in bridge financing). Them moving to S. Ontario would cause a big re-alignment in the divisions - I'd watch for Detroit to head East too as they were allegedly promised that they'd be the next Western team to switch conferences when re-alignment were to occur next.

But the Coyotes will live on...in HWL at least - unless I'm forced to switch to the new location too...

Here's the CBC report online: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2009...xbalsillie.html

Can't say this is surprising; the fact that Balsillie is keeping the franchise afloat as we go is a little odd though (17 million in bridge financing). Them moving to S. Ontario would cause a big re-alignment in the divisions - I'd watch for Detroit to head East too as they were allegedly promised that they'd be the next Western team to switch conferences when re-alignment were to occur next.

But the Coyotes will live on...in HWL at least - unless I'm forced to switch to the new location too...

Yeah, but

Montréal

Ottawa

Toronto

Buffalo

Boston

Philly

Pittsburgh

NYR

NYI

NJ

Sunrise

Tampa

Washington

Raleigh

Atlanta

Who moves out to the West ????? The logic choice would be Pittsburght, but killing the rivalry or sending back Toronto in the West ...........

Leave Hamilton or Windsor or wherever the Phoenix are moving to in the western conference. Now if it is in Waterloo-Kitchener, that's a bit more difficult because that's basically a suburb of Toronto...

Yeah, but

Montréal

Ottawa

Toronto

Buffalo

Boston

Philly

Pittsburgh

NYR

NYI

NJ

Sunrise

Tampa

Washington

Raleigh

Atlanta

Who moves out to the West ????? The logic choice would be Pittsburght, but killing the rivalry or sending back Toronto in the West ...........

Maybe move the canes to the west, and put buffalo in to replace them. Hamilton takes their spot.

Leave Hamilton or Windsor or wherever the Phoenix are moving to in the western conference. Now if it is in Waterloo-Kitchener, that's a bit more difficult because that's basically a suburb of Toronto...

That's what I was thinking. If Detroit/Chicago are in the West, it's not that big a stretch for South Ontario to be in the West too.

Interestingly, Bettman was on The Hour not long ago and the main talk point was actually how Basillie fitted (or didnt fit) with the rest of the NHL establishment. Check the interview here: http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?id=32684

That move could start a wave if more teams follow suit. I know here in Quebec City with our new super mayor and a new rink project the window of opportunity would be opened in the next couple of years. And getting a team back in Quebec City would be the best thing that could happen to the Habs hockey-wise.

Look on the brightside. Bettman is probably having heart palpatations right now with fits of rage, anger and despair :clap:

Buhahahaha, Balsillie returns. :P

Already on the way... the NHL is opposing all of that in Court, hearing this Thursday...

will be exciting to see it all unfold.

I doubt the NHL can forbid him to buy, unless NHL overbids him.

however, they could forbid him to move... which would mean no sale to Balsillie.

They are pissed, but they are way too stubborn. Hockey doesn't belong to Phoenix and to most of Southern USA... why try to force it. Let them move to Canada goddamn! Next up TBay to Qc City and Nashville to Winnipeg.

hum ok, so there'd be 17 teams east, 13 west?

Yeah, but

why logical? I was thinking Altlanta... :P Pittsburgh belongs to Atlantic.

It definitely doesn't look good for Phoenix. The only way they can be saved is by the league and that's not going to happen. I highly doubt any local source will outbid Balsillie.

deal to outbid has to be at least 5M over.

also cannot be conditional on financing.

Balsillie deal is ROCK solid. GO BALSILLIE GO!!! :clap:

That's what I was thinking. If Detroit/Chicago are in the West, it's not that big a stretch for South Ontario to be in the West too.

Interestingly, Bettman was on The Hour not long ago and the main talk point was actually how Basillie fitted (or didnt fit) with the rest of the NHL establishment. Check the interview here: http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?id=32684

That move could start a wave if more teams follow suit. I know here in Quebec City with our new super mayor and a new rink project the window of opportunity would be opened in the next couple of years. And getting a team back in Quebec City would be the best thing that could happen to the Habs hockey-wise.

yah, definitely. and they'd be maybe the only other solution to Balsillie for the NHL... unless the "Houston project" is more serious than just a quiet rumour.

I'm not a wizard of Ontario geography, so I can't tell which one it'd be just by name... but a market report done by the NHL (:o ) showed that a team North of Toronto wouldn't hurt Toronto and would be viable... which one is it ?? you tell me.

Maybe move the canes to the west, and put buffalo in to replace them. Hamilton takes their spot.

not a bad idea... but more like Buffalo to Atlantic, whichever Atlantic team to Southern... you can't just send Buffalo south. and ... for proximity sake, it'd have to be Boston... isssssh!!! not sure the fans would like that.

Unless Bettman really does hate Canada, I don't understand why he'd be so against a team going back to Canada. Financially it is what is best for the league. A team in Canada is gonna produce more money than a team in the States.

Geographically, I believe Atlanta is the furthest west.

Won't the Leafs, and possibly the Wings and Sabres as well, have something to say/do about having a new team moving in what they consider to be ''their'' market? Could they try to veto the move?

Unless Bettman really does hate Canada, I don't understand why he'd be so against a team going back to Canada. Financially it is what is best for the league. A team in Canada is gonna produce more money than a team in the States.

He doesn't hate Canada... but his mission is to shove hockey down American's throat. I can't wait till this guy quits... It's gonna be a really good day for hockey.

Won't the Leafs, and possibly the Wings and Sabres as well, have something to say/do about having a new team moving in what they consider to be ''their'' market? Could they try to veto the move?

no. it'd have to be north of TO so as not to affect Buff... that was the only thing I heard.

Putting a team back in Canada is a move in the right direction.

How long do we have to wait to get 2 or 3 more moving back home?

They are, and would fit best in the Central.

Maybe put S. Ontario in the East, probably in the Northeast.

Boston in the Atlantic

New Jersey in the Southeast (A little strange, but not horribly far away from Raleigh.)

Atlanta to the Central

St. Louis to the Northwest (Again, a little strange, but the best choice of the Central teams)

Colorado to the Pacific (It's the logical decision because it's geographically the closest team to Phoenix that isn't already in the pacific.)

Putting a team back in Canada is a move in the right direction.

How long do we have to wait to get 2 or 3 more moving back home?

they are crazy. trying to sell goose filed North Face coats on the beach in California would be more successful.

but admitting that Phoenix is a failure = Bettman admitting that HE is a failure...

but admitting that Phoenix is a failure = Bettman admitting that HE is a failure...

That isn't true. Failing on one task doesn't make an entire project a failure. He still has Colorado (relocation), Columbus (expansion), Atlanta (expansion), Carolina (relocation), Nashville (expansion), and Anaheim (expansion) to hang his hat on as "non-traditional" markets. I can't remember if the new Senators, Sharks, Panthers, and Stars were on his watch. If so, add those to the list. And let us not forget he brought an expansion team to a place it never should have left: Minnesota, and they have sold out every game I believe.

Edited by Mils

Well, I don't think any of us had to have been geniuses to predict hockey wasn't going to work in ARIZONA. Can Bettman really be surprised?

But who would have thought it would succeed in Dallas, or that California would be able to support three teams? Even this year, the Coyotes averaged 85% attendance, that's not terrible. I mean, with a brand new arena the Devils only averaged about 90%. Also, let's not forget that the team moved here from a Canadian city because of financial reasons. If you're going to blame a weak Canadian dollar for that, is it unreasonable to blame the recession now? I mean, hockey was doing well enough for awhile that they were able to support an ECHL team for 4 years. The team may have ended up as a failure, but I don't think it's fair to say hockey in Arizona was a failure.

Just a thought on re-alignment.

Montreal - Boston - Ottawa - Long Island - New York

Toronto - Detroit - Buffalo - Columbus - Moved from Phoenix

Vancouver - Los Angeles - Anaheim - San Jose - Colorado

Edmonton - Calgary - Minnesota - St. Louis - Chicago

Pittsburgh - Philadelphia - New Jersey - Washington - Carolina

Dallas - Tampa Bay - Miami - Atlanta - Nashville

No real East West split.

:hlogo:

That isn't true. Failing on one task doesn't make an entire project a failure. He still has Colorado (relocation), Columbus (expansion), Atlanta (expansion), Carolina (relocation), Nashville (expansion), and Anaheim (expansion) to hang his hat on as "non-traditional" markets. I can't remember if the new Senators, Sharks, Panthers, and Stars were on his watch. If so, add those to the list. And let us not forget he brought an expansion team to a place it never should have left: Minnesota, and they have sold out every game I believe.

no, I don't think so, you're rigth that Colorado, CBS were good moves, but he would think so. (i.e. he would think admitting a failure in phoenix is admitting that he himself failed)

But who would have thought it would succeed in Dallas, or that California would be able to support three teams? Even this year, the Coyotes averaged 85% attendance, that's not terrible. I mean, with a brand new arena the Devils only averaged about 90%. Also, let's not forget that the team moved here from a Canadian city because of financial reasons. If you're going to blame a weak Canadian dollar for that, is it unreasonable to blame the recession now? I mean, hockey was doing well enough for awhile that they were able to support an ECHL team for 4 years. The team may have ended up as a failure, but I don't think it's fair to say hockey in Arizona was a failure.

selling tickets is only one part of it. Habs made over 200M this season from what I understood of the numbers made public. From that, no more than 86M comes from selling tickets (2M per game, so I heard)

not only are the yotes selling 85%, surely at a price lower than the habs (so maybe 50M or less total?) they are also not making a buck from TV revenues I guess... etc etc.

I am tired of Bettman's Agenda.

It is amazing to me how moving teams is not an option and he will dig to find

criminals to push through his agenda. The NHL doesn't need a billionaire for an

owner because he might cause trouble? Trouble is NEEDED.

It is amazing to me that he prefers owners who are mortgaged to the neck

and can't really afford franchises to a guy who would like to move it to a place

with a strong feasible plan.

Where was this Bettman in 1995 and 1996 when the Jets and Nordiques were

in better shape than the Coyotes right now? Where was his endless desire to save

those franchises? He set demands on a new arena, ticket revenue and made blanket statements about feasability, thus perpetrating a myth that they can not survive in the new NHL. When his ridiculous relocations/expansions could not survive, he locked out the league in search of cost certainty. When he got his cost certainty and his false hockey markets collapsed he started propping them up with franchise swapping and borderline legal loans between owners.

AND NOW he has watched as a franchise collpases into bankruptcy and has a white knight

to pay $80M more than the guy he himself lined up and he is once again standing there saying "NOT ON MY WATCH".

This guy is a manipulative fraud. If he had shown 1/10th the tenacity to save the Nords/Jets as he has propping up Sun belt franchises the Nordiques fans would have

a Stanley Cups hanging from the rafters and the Jets fans could have enjoyed NHL hockey

for the last 10 seasons.

It would be great if Balsillie wins this battle and moves the team to Waterloo, because

Napolean Bettman would get his just due.

selling tickets is only one part of it. Habs made over 200M this season from what I understood of the numbers made public. From that, no more than 86M comes from selling tickets (2M per game, so I heard)

not only are the yotes selling 85%, surely at a price lower than the habs (so maybe 50M or less total?) they are also not making a buck from TV revenues I guess... etc etc.

My point is that if hockey was a failure in Arizona, the tickets wouldn't have been sold. I'm not saying that hockey was successful there, just that it wasn't a failure. The state of hockey in Phoenix lies somewhere in the middle.

My point is that if hockey was a failure in Arizona, the tickets wouldn't have been sold. I'm not saying that hockey was successful there, just that it wasn't a failure. The state of hockey in Phoenix lies somewhere in the middle.

If the Coyotes were selling half their tickets for $10 like the Panthers were and giving

away 2 for 1s, how does that affect the REAL number?

Is it fair to compare the Devils who sold 90% at full cost and the Panthers who sold 87% with 2 for 1s? (Those numbers are used as a comparison and are not real numbers)

That is like taking the Yankee stadium numbers and padding them after they comped

their season seat holders a 2 for 1 because they severely overpriced tickets. It is the exact same

revenue, but they just added another 3-400 tickets sold per game to their numbers.

Also, Bettman has gone out of his way to paper the house and claim there was no problem

in Phoenix less than a year ago. So are we really going to trust the numbers coming from him?

The new arena was the albatross around their neck, just like it was in Ottawa.

Edited by Wamsley01